Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 26, 2010 9:14:02 AM PDT
James says:
Posting this here to help those that like me are probably gonna have trouble figuring out the proper way to remove the discs from this blu ray set. Suffice to say i have never seen disc holders like this before.

You'll notice two flexible plastic arms at the bottom of the disc holder. Those are the key to removing the discs properly.
What you'll want to do is put your index finger in the center ring of the disc and carefully pull downwards causing those plastic arms to flex and then gently pull upwards to pull the disc out.

I would be carefull not to put more pressure than needed on those flexible plastic arms. I can imagine that if one of those break it will never hold the disc securely again.

I would have gladly paid 10 extra dollars to have a more traditional disc holder for this set.

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 2:18:44 PM PDT
Yeah, it took me a minute or two to figure it out. It's a real pain...

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 4:29:07 PM PDT
J. McMeins says:
Huge Pain. I own hundreds of dvds/blurays and this is the worst disc storage ive ever seen. I feel like im going to break or scratch a disc everytime i take one out or put it back.

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 7:06:49 PM PDT
Aluv says:
worst packaging I've ever seen.

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 10:15:27 PM PDT
I agree. It's the worst packaging I've even encountered. Horrible. Unfortunatley, the little plastic arms broke on my set. Believe it or not, I'm relieved. At least I can remove and replace the disc in it's holder quite easily now. If you break the arms (it's only a matter of time) and you put the discs back in their container, they will be OK as closing the box set holds them in place. Make sure you keep the sleeve on. Just have to remember to have the set laying down on a table when removing again. To me it's the lesser of two evils.

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 11:01:22 PM PDT
D. DOMINGUE says:
I cannot express how disappointed I am with Universal for selling such poorly designed packaging. The BTTF trilogy are great movies with great special features on the discs, but the packaging is like painting a $100,000 car lime green. Cheap cardboard with infernal plastic trays that beg you to crack the discs the next time you want to watch the movies again (and once the exchange period has passed). And don't even go to amazon.co.uk to see the awesome box set UK consumers get. Please take a moment to voice your dismay (if you feel the way I do) to the fine people at Universal. I guess we'll have to wait for the 50th anniversary for us fans to get a complete package that honors the movies.

E-mail Universal at: http://www.universalstudios.com/hvfaq.php

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 11:06:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2010 11:18:06 PM PDT
Snipes says:
I think I'll be sending this back to Amazon and demanding a full refund, then heading over to their UK site and buying it there where they don't have this 5 cent packaging. The UK version has no digital copies but personally I couldn't care less, I'll never use it anyway.

EDIT: okay I figured out the clip system and can remove them relatively easily, so I guess I'll hold onto the set, still this is supremely bad packaging for a 25th Anniversary Blu-ray set. Universal deserves flack for trying to cut corners and save a buck.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 5:23:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2010 5:52:50 AM PDT
Just pull down the disc and pick it up.
It's easy in this way.
But it's true that it surely is the worst blu-ray packaging I have ever seen. -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ0D4YovqWQ

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 5:27:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2010 5:28:49 AM PDT
D. DOMINGUE says:
Thanks for the video! At least us fans take care of one another. It's a shame the people we gave our money to (Universal) couldn't do the same.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 9:22:58 AM PDT
C. Calderon says:
Yeah, was hard to remove it, very frustrating, but the video helps a lot.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 4:48:53 PM PDT
dont get the complaints about this my set other than the third dgital copy disc having light scratches was fine,no im not crazy about it but is it realy any worse than the eco cardboard case alien set came in the sliding discs into cardboard sleeves

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 7:03:44 PM PDT
James says:
My problem with the packaging is that i have no faith in its durability, it seems fragile to me. Once i knew how to properly remove and insert the discs the system itself is'nt a problem.
The Alien Anthology's packaging on the other hand is built to last, and it is attractive. Sure removing and inserting the discs is about the same in terms of relative ease of use, but it is superior in quality.
What confounds me is that such a beloved franchise with a huge fan base, gets such cheap packaging.
The Content on the discs themselves is beyond reproach.
Do not get me wrong it's not a big deal, i can live with the packaging, but i feel my complaint is legit.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 10:50:11 PM PDT
sacflies says:
This dude had me cracking up watching this video!! Too funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti8rxhs2g7c&feature=related

Here is a nice unboxing video for the UK version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU6lYsUyIps&feature=related

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 11:05:11 PM PDT
sacflies says:
Ha ha!! This one is even funnier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PSNIuL0XN8&feature=related

They should have put a slip of paper with instructions on how to remove the discs. Seems quite simple once you figure it out but...geez. There are going to be a lot of frustrated folks when they open their packages.

Posted on Oct 29, 2010 10:12:11 PM PDT
I have been buying DVDs and Blu ray discs since both formats have started and I have never seen such a ridiculous packaging system in my life! It took my wife and I close to 10 minutes to figure out how to get the discs out. The least they could have done was to put some written instructions in the package. Anyone have advice on removing finger prints from Blu rays?

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 9:52:35 AM PDT
slip says:
I have much more trouble getting the discs back in the packaging.

Posted on Nov 1, 2010 11:06:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2010 2:50:21 PM PDT
Sara in MO says:
For me, removal is easier than re-inserting. And I only got the removal down after watching the youtube link from park jung min -thanks. It seems more difficult to keep the disc level when re-inserting. On my first try, only the left side made it back in behind the tab. And I won't try it while standing in front of the tv/player, as I always do with typical cases. I made sure I was sitting with the case flat on my lap, and in the light (other cases are a no-brainer in the dark, a typical movie setting!) This all seems pretty ridiculous for something so banal.
And, I emailed Customer Relations at Universal, per another post in this section. I asked if they knew how much criticism was on amazon about this, and if they knew that someone had felt the need to post a 'demo' on youtube. I also suggested that they should have put instructions on a piece of paper in the case. Their reply was:
"Thank you for contacting us regarding the "Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy" Blu-Ray packaging. We will forward your comments to the appropriate department. Additionally we will send you a diagram outlining the recommended way to insert and remove discs with this new package design. You will receive a separate email with the PDF attachment. Again, thank you. We hope that you will enjoy this and future Universal releases."
So, I'm looking forward to that PDF, just out of curiosity now!

EDIT: Finally, 3 days later, they sent the pdf (it's adequate, not as good as what others have described above) with this brief note:
"Hello -
Attached is information regarding the "Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy" Blu-ray packaging.
Again, thank you.
Sincerely,
Consumer Relations"

Posted on Nov 11, 2010 6:46:54 AM PST
I took mine out and put them in 3 separate jewel cases I had (I collect music and have them if I get a cracked jewel case in the mail, or if one breaks and I have to replace, etc). I left the digital copy discs in the original packaging, as I don't plan to use them.

An alternative to the replacement packaging would be 3 actual standard blu-ray cases, which can be found for sale online. Of course, we shouldn't have to do this.

I don't like the packaging for several reasons. I didn't like the initial 2002 DVD packaging either, due to the fact they package the movies all in one fat case; I would rather have each movie in it's own standard case (even if they're slim cases), enclosed in a trilogy slipcase/box. A year or two ago they got around to releasing the DVDs individually in the packaging I wanted them in the first place, and of course when the blu-ray came around they not only went back to packaging the trilogy as if it was one movie, but invented and implemented this awful packaging mechanism as well. Blu-ray releases in general, unless it's a super deluxe edition or something of that nature, seem to always get the shaft on packaging in comparison to DVD versions. It's rare we even get a booklet, whereas with a DVD version of the same movie or TV season, we do. What is it? A mentality such as "Well, they're already paying for a hi-definition movie, why do they need packaging?"? Does it have to do with "going green?" I've yet to understand this.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 7:41:04 PM PST
J says:
My solution is since I have the original DVD (fat case) put them in there :)
What is so important about a digital copy anyways?

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 7:47:46 PM PST
Dkslade says:
just got mine today and the put in a HOW TO GUIDE on how to remove and replace discs.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 6:06:36 AM PST
Colin George says:
The reference model for box sets has been "Blade Runner" for me, which fit 5 discs comfortably in a (very slightly wider) standard blu-ray case. I love how space efficient it is. Alien Anthology is on the other end of the spectrum--It's big and gaudy but really well made. The book design is beautiful and sturdy.

Back to the Future is big, ugly, flimsy, and counter-intuitive. With all the complaints about how hard it is to remove and replace discs, I wanted to mention how annoying it is that there is no sleeve for the provided digital copy code and packaging instructions. Also, the slipcover does not fit as snugly as I would like.

Can't help but echo comments that this is, by a considerable margin, the worst media packaging I have ever seen. My only hope is that enough people complain that Universal revises the design and agrees to replace customer's current copies.

I would be far angrier had I paid full price for this set and not luckily snagged the lightning deal...

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 10:36:43 PM PST
I ordered my set a few days ago from Amazon and the case holder was the old style that DVD or Blu-ray discs normally come in. You know the style where you push down in the middle and the disc comes out.

So it looks like they resolved the problem for anyone who plans to purchase this now.

Posted on Jan 29, 2011 10:44:59 PM PST
sacflies says:
Hmmmm, that is interesting. It is good that they were listening. I ended up ordering the set from Amazon UK for cheap. Hasn't arrived yet. Shipping takes forever these days from across the pond.

Posted on Feb 19, 2011 3:21:02 PM PST
I think they may have changed the disc holder. I got mine mid February and it was just a push down thing and the disc came out easily.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2011 4:02:05 PM PST
sacflies says:
Yeah, this was already reported...two posts above.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  20
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Oct 26, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Back to the Future - The Complete Trilogy [VHS]
Back to the Future - The Complete Trilogy [VHS] by Michael J. Fox (VHS Tape - 2002)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (1,540)