Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on January 27, 2014
I have the Phantom 1 and love it but decided to get the Phantom2 with Zenmuse gimbal and wow - what took me so long! For one, the gimbal plugs right in with no soldering or any taking apart. Two, the wires to hook up an FPV set up are already run. It took me 10 minutes to have my FPV transmitter wired up and running. Three, huge battery that powers everything - the quad, the camera, and the FPV transmitter. AKA no velcro or rigged double-batteries strapped on. Very respectable flight times, even more stable than previous model (which was already pretty good), nice integration, silky smooth video (plus built in remote camera tilt), and DJI options for days. An extra battery is a little pricey but it just works too darn well to really complain.
1010 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2014
I started out with a cheaper Heli-Max quad because I couldn't see myself spending this much money on something I had no experience with (I had NEVER flown any sort of RC airplane or helicopter before).

And sure enough, with the Heli-Max it was crash after crash (until one of the motors eventually broke). I almost gave up the hobby at that point, but eventually decided to give it a second try with the Phantom 2. My heart was beating pretty fast the first time I powered up my ~$1000 rig (close to $2000 by the time you add the GoPro and FPV gear). After the Heli-Max, I expected it to be difficult to control and to experience a few crashes; I just prayed nothing would break.

WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

The Phantom 2 was rock stable and hovered in place perfectly, it responded to the controls exactly the way I expected it to. Within a day I felt like a "pro" flying it (I'm NOT a pro by any means, but it makes you feel like one). Then I started shooting pictures and video with the GoPro and the Zenmuse H3 3D gimbal. They are perfectly steady even when maneuvering, and even in pretty strong wind (I've had it flying in 20mph winds or so, the computer has no problem compensating and keeps the quad hovering in place and the gimbal cancels out all motion). My primary hobby is photography and this platform allows me to shoot the kinds of videos and stills I was planning on shooting; and it's just plain fun and stress free to fly, exactly what a product like this should be.

At one point, the batteries in my control station ended up dying; which (to my horror) made me lose control of the quad. No problem; it has a built in return to home function which worked perfectly. It dutifully flew back to the point I'd launched it from, hovered 10m up for a few second, then descended slowly to the ground: easy peasie lemon squeesie. :-)

The Phantom 2 is fairly nimble as well (if you fly it aggressively). It'll climb about 900ft / minute and fly at an airspeed of about 30 mph. From what I understand, that's not terribly fast when compared to "serious" hobby helicopters, but it's plenty fast enough for this beginner and (IMHO) plenty fast enough for a camera platform.

Without the gimbal, camera and FPV gear mounted, I got about 25 minutes flight time out of a battery charge. With all that extra gear, I get a about 17 minutes, so that is something to be aware of.

About the only thing that I'm slightly critical of is that the landing gear is (IMHO) a bit too small, if you come down on a surface that's not perfectly level, it is possible to tip this quad over. That can also happen on take off if you don't "give it enough gas" right away; so I always advise folks to do "full power" takeoffs. I should also note that people have occasionally complained about "fly aways" with DJI equipment: to avoid those "the wisdom of the internet" says always wait until your quad has GPS lock (the lights turn green) before you start flying. I've always used this procedure and have never experienced a loss of control (except when I let the batteries in the controller die as discussed above).

Long story short, the DJI Phantom 2 isn't a cheap quad, but it makes this hobby FUN. I can't say that about the cheaper solution I tried before this one. I wholeheartedly recommend this product to anyone who wants to get into aerial photography and videography.
on January 20, 2014
I bought this from Kellards and it took over a week longer than it said it would to get here. But let me tell you, this thing is great! Very easy to fly, very stable, not that complicated. Just read the manual online. First buy a cheap quadcopter for 20-40 bucks to get used to the controls, also if you master one of those, you will be a master at this because it is much easier to fly, but it is also much easier to break. I attached my go pro hero 3 black and I've only had it for a few days but it can take some pretty sick videos. This copter is pretty fast and it is good even without the amazing gimbal. If you're gonna get a Phantom dont get the older one just cause its cheaper, go all out and get this one, because you will be glad you did. You get 25 mins of flying and it only takes a couple hours to charge. Overall it has been a great product so far. Can't wait to see what else it can do.
on May 6, 2014
So these things are great! I would suggest you get a smaller one if you're a beginner. Watch videos online first to help show you how to fly it when you first start out. It doesn't come with a strap for the remtote to put around your neck, but if you get a lanyard you'll be fine.

The props aren't made of titanium so if you crash it they will probably break. So be ready to buy more. The package comes with a few extras of everything, but always do a pre-flight check just like you would an aircraft so that nothing is loose.
The Anti-Drop Gimbal Brackets are really small and you think they would be cheap to replace? ha! You're wrong! It's $42 for 6 online. (zipties work just as well, just don't tighten them all the way). So before you fly, tighten them!

Please be a respectful pilot and don't be stupid with these. The FAA is trying to restrict as much as possible and is making it hard to film at national parks and other places. So be smart and safe.
Happy flying!
on January 21, 2014
I had the DJI Phantom 1 without gimbal and the difference with the DJI Phantom 2 + Zenmuse h32d is huge.
I really recommend this product.
Worth the difference of money.

Here my first flying experience without stabilization in the scenes: [...]
on March 23, 2014
The gimbal tilt lever on the transmitter did not work in the Phantom 2 that I received. I am returning it and buying a new one that will, hopefully, actually have this important functionality.

After searching around, it appears that this is a semi-frequent occurrence. This kind of quality control is disappointing. Additionally, it's not possible to just exchange the transmitter. I had to disassemble everything, package it up, and return everything, only to have to do it again when another one arrives.

The only thing that saves this from 1 star is that the copter and gimbal assemble nicely, and they even give you plenty of spare/replacement parts.

EDIT:

Had to drop it to one star after receiving my replacement unit. On this new one, the gimbal practically doesn't work at all. When powered up, the gimbal makes a harsh buzzing sound like an electric razor, jitters around, doesn't level itself, drops limp, and quickly gets very hot. This process repeats every 10 seconds or so. That's twice in a row I've come up against shoddy quality control. DJI needs to get its act together. Also, I purchased both units from Red Rock USA - beware of purchasing from them, as they may have bad bunch of stock.
66 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2014
I am an independent film maker. This quadcopter makes shooting complicated tracking and boom shots a breeze with the motorized gimbal and go pro!
on April 18, 2014
Absolutely amazing. For the price I expected quite a bit. After flying this quadcopter in no wind and fairly strong wind situations this has far exceeded my expectations. All of my family and friends are amazed at the videos I have been able to create from a whole new vantage point for me that was previously impossible. The control you have in flying this machine are beyond anything I expected. I have numorius other helicopters and none of them even come in a close 2nd place.
on April 30, 2014
I am currently in week 4 of waiting for DJI Support to look at my Quadcopter. Before the first time I went to fly, I went to update the firmware in the controller (which is recommended to do in the User manual). I had the controller hooked up to the computer via the USB cable, then the program froze and the controller shut off. It would not turn back on.

DJI Support was mediocre with response time, I could only get a response from their email support, and it took 1 full day to get an email back. However, after 2 weeks I emailed requesting an update, since I hadn't heard anything since I mailed both the quadcopter and the controller back. I received a response 3 days later and it told me that it would be an additional 3-5 weeks before they could even look at it. I called and finally got a hold of a person and they said they may be able to bump the repair and get it out sooner.

Im disappointed that something this simple has a repair time of 7 weeks. I should have just returned the unit and bought another one. I purchased this to take aerial footage of the record amount of ice on Lake Erie, but since this has happened all the ice has melted (Not that Im complaining about spring coming, its been a long needed warmth).

This review does not reflect on the seller that I bought it from, the seller was actually very good and speedy. This is mainly in respect to DJI Support.
on July 14, 2014
This is my second Phantom 2 and when I plugged in the battery the gimbal started to smoke. I disconnected the gimbal and retried the power on and the phantom itself didn't operate. This is a back up unit and it sat on my shelf for two months from purchase. When I called Amazon they told me to contact DJI and that they can't help me. I will call DJI tomorrow and lets see how they help me.. I don't have my hopes up.