5.0 out of 5 stars Totally AMAZING does not even come close...!!
Published 13 months ago by FocusPocus

Published 12 months ago by Tirebossman

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally AMAZING does not even come close...!!, November 19, 2013
This review is from: DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter with Integrated FPV Camcorder (White) (Electronics)
I ordered this Quadcopter on Nov. 11 and received it...and the case I bought at the same time, on Friday, the 15th...very speedy service on these items. I had read quite a bit about the DJI Phantom Quads, and once my Vision was on the way, I tried to read all of the info I could get my hands on....I need to say that the "Tutorials" on the DJI Web Site were extremely helpful, very positive and supportive about all phases of the operation of this amazing flying machine.

I need to say here, that I had Zero experience flying any sort of model aircraft, no time using any sort of radio control or really, very little contact with anyone in the RC community...so, I was really a total novice...and fairly apprehensive about learning to "drive" one of these expensive toys....without a major hiccup...! So, why did I buy this Quad?? My main interest is in photography and the current issue of Outdoor Photography features an article on using one of these devices for aerial photos. Who has not wished they could "get a camera way up there!"....or "zoom over the steeple of that church"...or "see what this neighborhood looks like from 300 feet up".? When I read the specs of the Vision camera...14meg, stills or video, jpeg and RAW, intervalometer...a long list..I knew I'd get a lot of use out of it. Just the idea of being able to rotate the Quad while shooting multiple still images for panos was enough to make the final decision for me...!

Anyway...Fri. the boxes started to arrive and finally, I got the opportunity to see the Phantom in 'real life'.. I had watched the "unpacking" tutorial from DJI, so there were no surprises with any of this. I pulled out the main battery and the range extender and started them charging. (Main battery took about an hour...the extender was longer than that...3-4 hours..FYI) I took that time to do the few things required...spin on the props, apply the 'racing stripes', attach the range extender and the iDevice holder to the range extender, check the new carry case...and worry some more..!!

Both weekend days were extremely windy...up to 50+ MPH...well in excess of what any sane person would want to use as beginner training for this fairly complex device. Monday was a different story...temps in the 60's, and only gentle breezes..5-8MPH at most. So......the case with the Phantom and the rest of the gear went into the mini-van...and we headed for a local park. It took only a few minutes to turn on the range extender, let it establish the WiFi link, go to "Settings" on my iPhone...(4s...FYI)...open the DJI 'app', see that it had connected successfully....and head to a convenient bench nearby. There I powered up the battery in the Phantom itself, turned on the Controller power, flipped the S1 switch about 9 times to get it into Compass Configuration mode...did the required rotations with the Phantom and got the correct response from it...good to see the green LED's confirming that all was ready. I checked the iPhone app again that I had pre-loaded a week earlier...removed the lens cap..(very important!)...and Bingo...everything looked great... I placed the Phantom about 20 feet away from the bench....pulled the CSC joysticks to the "Motors On" position, watched the motors come to life...(I had done this at home a few days earlier....so I knew what to expect..!), took a deep breath....(a few spectators had gathered by this time...always good to try something totally new in front of a crowd..!!)...and waited for the Moment of Truth....fingers crossed...heart beat full on.....hoping for the best...

I advanced the left joy stick slowly.....I heard and saw the motors speed up....a bit more stick...and then...smoothly...almost as if I actually knew what I was doing....the Phantom rose into the air...about 6-7 feet at that point...WOW!!....did I say WOW?...!! It worked...just as advertised...so easy, not a single bobble...nothing but the comforting sound of the motors and the sight of the Phantom just hovering in the air....stable...the red and green LEDs under the arms flashing...a picture on my iPhone from the on-board camera....and a host of approving....and amazed comments from the peanut gallery..! The phrase, "That is SO cool!" was heard more than once...! Flushed with my new success, I advanced the left joy stick again...and the Phantom responded by rising another 8-10 feet into the air...it really had such and 'other-worldly' look to it...just floating in the air...steady...only the prop noise giving any hint that it was there... Since the camera was pointed away from us, I moved the left stick to the side and watched the Phantom rotate and at the same time I could see the display on my iPhone show the view from 15 feet up....turning...90 degrees, more....then...our small bunch of observers came into view...more use of the "Cool" word...!

Since things were going so well, I started moving the right hand joy stick...the Phantom mirrored each command...forward...then back...to the left...then back to the right... Quite frankly, I was totally amazed by how easy this had all gone...My confidence level had gone from merely hoping I could get this off the ground and not embarrass myself...to feeling pretty totally in control of this device and the attached camera....which was confirming each and every action of the Phantom itself..Wheeeeeee...!! Since I knew the main battery was good for about 25+ minutes, I flew the Phantom Vision up higher...rotated it....went a few hundred yards away, turned back...lower...this is getting addictive...! When I got it closer, I handed the Controller to my wife...and she had no trouble with the basic controls either...I'd like think that it was my skilled take-off that was the basis for her ability to maneuver the craft...but I know better..!! The next 20 minutes were spent in flying around the general area...flexing my aviation muscles, so to speak....I always kept it in view...although having the visual confirmation on the iPhone screen will allow operation that would be out of sight of the operator...another time maybe...! Pushing the left joy stick forward...caused the Phantom to begin to climb...at about a hundred feet up, it became a tiny dot in the sky....another hundred and it was nearly invisible...the lights of the LED's could not be seen then due to the sunny skies...but...we knew it was there...! It was a strange, but satisfying, feeling to be in control of this "eye in the sky"....close to euphoria...!!

Now I HAVE been around many aircraft....both full size...and models, enough to know that the number of landings should exactly equal the number of take-offs....so this would be my final challenge...although I really had no fear about this going wrong after the 20+ minutes of experience (Old Hand..!)...I had in the air. Bringing the Quad back to the take-off point, I settled it to a point about 5 feet above the grass, pulled back on the left hand joy stick...the Phantom moved down....touched the ground....a second later, I could hear the motors spin down...(I had kept the left joy stick in the full rear...or Power Off..position)...and...accepted the accolades of the crowd....OK...the 4 or 5 people who were there..!!

Final view of all of this?? Incredible to see this machine hover at any place you want...just remove your fingers from the sticks and it STOPS...the few times I was unsure of the orientation of the Panther, I did just that...figured out what I wanted to do next...and then continued. This is unlike an airplane...which continues flying while the pilot searches for his (MY..!!)...next move.. EASY TO FLY?? Yes....very...a super solid, comfortable, controlling experience. I can't wait to put this to photographic uses...having a mobile camera platform that can basically be placed within about a quarter of a mile and up to 400 feet in the air...(more if out of range of an airport...)...and the ability to switch from stills to video...to aim the camera up or down...0 degrees to 60 degrees of motion, able even to format the micro SD card in flight..!! Rotating this Phantom as I trigger the camera for some panos should be amazing....stay tuned...!!

If interested in following this tale...I have just started a Group on Flickr...[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Wait a while until battery issues are taken care of, will drop from sky., December 2, 2013
I too was hit with the Invalid battery issue, I got real lucky because I had just flown it off our beach filming some surfers. I had 57% battery left and all the sudden the alarm went off and it started dropping, you loose all control and the craft is going to land no matter what you do. I got lucky and had just made it to the beach when it fell. Believe it or not it was a perfect landing. My phone had a alert message Invalid battery MC. I went online and discovered that this was happening to a lot of people. There are even some Youtube videos of this happening real time. I upgraded the firmware to the new version that was supposed to take care of this problem but it did not. I was testing it on the bench to see if it had helped but got an invalid battery alert again. No way was I ever going to feel safe flying this $1200 bill around again. I wanted this thing to work so bad, the coolness factor is huge on this thing,but I am returning it to wait for the problems to be fixed. I will buy another one once I feel comfortable that the problems have been fixed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Amazing! I love it. Just returned it to Amazon, January 29, 2014
Let me cut to the chase. If you have a hankering to buy a quad copter with GPS control and First Person Viewing (FPV) capability with a pretty decent gimbal/camera that is ready to fly out of the box and pretty much lives up to all the hype surrounding it, the Phantom 2 Vision fills the bill for around $1200. I have virtually no RC plane or much less helicopter experience and I was able to confidently fly this thing at least a dozen times without crashing it. It is rock-steady. Take your hands off the sticks and it just hovers there. It has a "failsafe" flight mode that automatically returns your Phantom to the point you took off from if it loses contact with your transmitter for any reason. I have not used this mode yet, but from what I've read it seems to work reasonably well. Hook up your iphone/Android phone to the built in WiFi system and you can literally fly from inside the quad and at the same time record video onboard the camera in 1080 P/or take 14 MPix stills. It also has 60 FPS slow motion, which combined with wide angle lens and gimbal system can give awesome results for a consumer grade product.

The rest of this review is about all I've learned about the Phantom 2 Vision in the last week or so from personal experience and from the Phantompilots forum, which I highly recommend.

Why I am returning it; Very simple. The camera/gimbal system on the vision 2 is good, but not as good (from what I've seen) as the Phantom 2, with the Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal system and a GoPro Hero 3 camera. The Zenmuse gimbal stabilizes the camera in two axis as opposed to the one axis the Vision 2 has giving better/smother video in windy conditions. While the non-Vision version with a Gopro prices out almost at the same, the non-Vision version does not have the FPV system and on-board instrumentation (what you see on your iPhone/Android) that shows compass, #of Satellites and control of the camera. Most of these features can be added back in later for another few hundred dollars and I may or may not want to do that after I figure out how to really fly this thing.

A second reason I returned the Vision is that although it claims to be Macintosh compatible, it still requires a windows PC to update the firmware in the handheld transmitter with an app called "RC Assistant" (the app for updatging SW/Firmware to the Phantom itself is called "Assistant" and is ported to run on Mac OS up through Mavericks 10.9.1). Very deceptive if you ask me. Its easy to get around, but the sales material should be clearer. And while we're on this note of firmware, let me be clear that there are lots of issues with quad you'll find on the web referring to "fly aways" where you lose control of your $1000 toy and can only helplessly watch as it flies to parts unknown or crashes. DJI strongly recommends you keep the firmware/software of the system up to date to ensure "a positive flight experience". I read that to mean to ensure it does not fly away from you or crash for no apparent reason.

Now for some observations and opinions people may be interested in. Feel free to ignore any of this since my expertise in this area is about 10 days old.

DJI, the company. Currently, DJI seems to be in a bit of turmoil regarding its recently departed CEO Colin Guinn. I don't know the whole story, but apparently Mr Guinn (he can bee seen on many of the Phantom 2 videos on YouTube) has succefully obtained a temporary restraining order against DJI from importing new stock to many US distributors (No idea if Amazon is on the list). Until this situation is resolved, the supply of new products and spare parts is in doubt. I had no problem purchasing batteries and propellers this week, but things may be changing as the TRO was just issued in the last few days.

DJI also does not have, how shall I put it, a great reputation for customer service and tech support. They expect you to first work with whoever you bought your product from to solve your issues, and only elevate to them if you cannot resolve things. I don't know about you, but as much as I love Amazon, I seriously doubt I'd get much in the way of tech support on this product from them. My only first hand experience with DJI tech support was sending email questions about Mac SW support (I mentioned earlier). It took 2-days for them to respond, and of course the response was that they do not have an application that can update the Transmitter firmware ported to Mac (yet). The other "horror stories" about DJI tech support were all over the map, and as far as I'm concerned could have been written about Apple, or HP or any of dozens of other companies. Since we're talking about a very sophisticated device that has more than enough opportunity for operator error to be the cause of a problem as it being a defective product issue, I have to take these complaints with a grain of salt.

Do you know what you are getting into? Don't buy one of these unless you are willing to watch it crash or disappear without being traumatized. Like I said, this thing is very easy to fly and really rock solid. Take your fingers off the stick and it just hovers. But if you're like me, and have little or no experience with RC aircraft, it would be so easy to let your Phantom fly way out of control range, or out of your visual range. Once it becomes just a dot in the sky and you have no way of knowing which direction its pointed in, it is very easy to send the wrong commands to it making your situation worse.

Proprietary batteries: The Phantom 2 uses DJI proprietary batteries which at least for the moment can only be bought from DJI and their distributors (see note above about the TRO on imports). These batteries have "smart" circuitry that the quad needs to recognize in order to work. They are pretty pricy at $160 and up. You'll probably want at least one spare. I don't see this as a deal buster. From what I've seen on the Phantom Forums these batteries are good for many charging cycles. The biggest complaint is that people claim that even though the battery reports plenty of charge left, a low battery alarm goes off and sometimes the Phantom initiates a automated landing or just falls out of the sky. I believe there are several SW upgrades related to this situation, and for all I know its been resolved. I personally got around 20 minutes of flight time out of my battery before the red blinking LEDs went off. There was probably another 5 minutes of flight time left, but I did not keep flying.

Again, the bottom line is I do recommend the Phantom 2 Vision if it suits your needs and have a Windows computer available for updates. Windows/Mac issues aside, I just would prefer the version that has a 2-Axis gimbal and can carry a GoPro camera.

Update 2/21/14: DJI has now added a Mac version of their RC Assistant Software to go along with the DJI assistant. This means you can update both your Transmitter and Phantom using Mac OC. Who knows, maybe in a few months their tech support people will be able to answer your email questions in 24 hours instead of a week. - Still recommend this product

1.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings about the Phantom 2 Vision., January 25, 2014
I bought this from a dealer. I had been watching it for a while and was thinking: yes buy it!, no too expensive, ok maybe... IDK it is a lot of money. Then I saw the offer for the free battery in December 2013 so I thought it's now or never.

When it got here I unboxed it with great care, Christmas was GOOD! I just couldn't wait to start.

Putting on the propellers was easy. I charged up the range extender and battery. My range extender had a different number SSID than was indicated on the instructions and that had me confused and worried for a bit but it wasn't a problem.

The 4gb transcend sd card will fill up quickly so you should get something bigger. Transcend sd cards are crap, I used a 64gb one and it spoilt after the first use, I lost some spectacular clips of the beach I had visited.

when I mounted everything up the P2V's compass needed calibration. It was so messed up I had to use the magnet method of calibration as shown by DJI on youtube and even then it took hours to get it within an acceptable range. That was very trying and tedious. Then I updated the firmware on the quad and the controller and recalibrated everything using their software. THIS IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO REDUCE THE RISK OF THE BATTERY ISSUE THAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT. ON TOP OF THAT DJI SAYS YOU NEED TO KEEP THE BATTERY CONTACTS CLEAN TO HELP PREVENT THE ISSUE. I don't like how they did the contacts, a better design might have prevented the issue in the first place. Updating the remote controller firmware is annoying because you have to disassemble it.

Once that is done, I did an advanced IMU calibration using the PC and the DJI software. Another annoyance because it may tell you it is too hot to calibrate it, then you have to shutdown the quad leave it for 5 min and try again. You may have to try this several times before you're successful.

Good that done, took it outside and did the compass calibration. Set it down out in the open and left it a bit so that it could get a gps lock by connecting with at least 6 satellites. Often I wouldn't get that at home but I did have a bit of cloud cover and buildings nearby that might have interfered with that so no problem. I did not test the return home feature with the gps lock.

But I must say I was very impressed when I took it to the beach. There was a fair wind and with the gps lock it held it's position well. I could see it tilt to hold its position. The photos and video I took was stunning. Video quality is so clear. The barometric altimeter isn't so great, sometimes I would get -10m height when it was about 15 to 20m in the air. I sent this thing about 110m out and it was great. At about that point I lost streaming video with my iphone and had to bring it back visually. Thank goodness I maintained line of sight. Video streaming resumed when I had brought it back a couple meters in anyway. I can't fly by FPV as yet, I get confused now and then.

I am used to flying 4 channel helicopters as low heights, 15 to 20ft. Flying the Phantom 2 Vision (P2V) way out at about 100m was so easy and a thrill. I really liked it, it is a great piece of equipment. Unfortunately, after my flight the compass went haywire a few days afterwards and I wasn't able to recalibrate it and GPS just wasn't available because it wouldn't connect with any satellites. The P2v is on its way back to the dealer to be replaced. I am going to give it another try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Invalid Battery problem, November 15, 2013
Received the Phantom 2 vision yesterday, 1st flight was great. 2nd flight "invalid battery" message is displayed and it will no longer fly. Web search turned up others with the same issue, and I sent a message to DJI as well...

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost great product, spoiled by a few key problems, December 3, 2013
I wanted to love (and keep) this product, but sent it back today after about two frustrating weeks of ownership.

First I'll say that, when everything is working properly, it performs exactly as described in DJI's marketing videos, and I'd give it 5 stars if it worked that way reliably: It is very easy to fly. Flight time is 20+ minutes. The camera is reasonably good. The app works well. You can fly at least 500 ft from the controller (I never needed to go beyond that).

Unfortunately there are a few key problems that negate all these positives, at least for me. The most frustrating problem was the oft-encountered "Unable to connect to camera" error, which many other people have also encountered, and which you can read more about on message boards such as phantompilots.com, in the DJI Phantom Vision section. The actual problem, as near as I can tell, is that the power connection to the camera and onboard wifi is unreliable. I infer this because there are patterns of lights and fan noises that come from the camera when it is getting power and the iPhone app can connect to it; those lights and sounds often aren't observable when you turn on the copter, but it's somewhat random. After a few problem free flights, I suddenly lost connection between the iPhone and the camera while it was flying less than 20 feet away, and I could not reconnect in the field. After scouring the internet back at home, and emailing dji support (and erroneously being told to upgrade the firmware, which I'd told them I had already done), I found clues pointing to the power issue, and tried jiggling the camera connector and the camera itself. That "fixed it" for a while. But, of course, these devices fly and vibrate a lot, so the problem kept recurring. When I go out to use this device I typically have set up a photo session with other people, or I am trying to capture a special event/scene that's not under my control. So it is not acceptable to get into the field and find that I can't reliably use the camera. If my unit was the only one having this problem, I would have just asked for an exchange, but the problem seems to be common enough that I feel it is a design issue.

The second major issue is the "Invalid battery" error issue that you can also find discussed on the message boards such as phantompilots.com. Briefly, there's a secondary connector between the battery and the copter that communicates battery status to the onboard computer (which is then relayed to you as battery life via wifi to the iPhone app). That connector is unreliable (and if you look at the design you'll see why: it's clear that any "give" in the battery fit would cause the connection to break). Under the original firmware, when that connection fails, the copter does an emergency landing immediately, even if it is over water or an area where it will be damaged or impossible to retrieve. DJI "fixed" the problem by upgrading the firmware so that it would not do an emergency landing. But they haven't fixed the connector, so you can still find yourself flying without a reliable battery life indicator on the smart phone app.

I am very hopeful that DJI will work out these kinks and release an improved version that will allow this device to really deliver on its potential. But it's not there yet IMO. Unless you don't mind going out to fly and having it fail to work reliably, have time to fiddle around with the device, and keep up with DJI firmware upgrades, etc., you might want to wait a bit before plunking down your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cool tool but not ready for prime time. User interface overly complex. Safety systems extremely difficult to set up/unreliable, December 13, 2013
A lot of work before this is ready for prime time. I applaud the ease of set up out of the box. Assembly is pretty straight forward although there are bits and pieces that are perplexing, i.e., extra screws while handy are not typical and therefore, left me wondering if I forgot to put something together properly (disconcerting to say the least given the use of this item and the propensity for damage upon failure - more on this later).

It's super easy to fly and handles quite well. However, I experienced one incident where I lost radio contact (and thus control) and the GPS system failed. The quadcopter started descending rapidly toward the ground and then shifting violently back and forth. I regained control about 20 feet above ground however the downward momentum was too great and it crashed. Luckily, I only lost a couple of props.

My biggest gripe however, and a deal killer for me as a professional photographer, is unreliable connectivity and the absolutely absurd methodology for calibrating the compass (which is imperative for effective operation of this quadcopter). Given the complexity of the mechanicals, it seems the user interface and protocol for calibrating the compass could not only be simpler but easier to confirm proper execution. Search Youtube for examples. It's ridiculous and unreliable. And resetting the compass with magnets and computer software? Come on. Is this thing for tech geeks or for people who want to fly and create images and video?

Same goes for the wifi connectivity between the camera and phone. Cool feature and works well ... when it works. But I couldn't get connectivity most of the time. Sometimes, my wifi would get terminated by a stronger signal from someone's router in which case my view on my phone would freeze. And I couldn't get it unfrozen until I shut everything down and rebooted. Pain in the butt if your quadcopter is 1000 ft away.

And the micro SD card is also unreliable. About 50% of the videos I shot worked. The other files were unreadable by any of my software (Lightroom, Premier, Quicktime). So, I lost a ton of footage. I resorted to reformatting the card before each video which meant that I and to transfer files to my iPhone before I could shoot another sequence. On one occasion, I was able to save 2 of the first 3 videos I shot. But the last file was unreadable.

For the record, the GPS and radio connectivity failed on my unit - more than once resulting in multiple crashes. I was able to maintain connectivity for about 150 to 175 feet and then I would lose signal. Tons of solutions in online forums including adjusting the antennas and making sure they are point at the unit but none worked for me.

I'd suggest waiting until DJI makes this more user friendly and reliable. Until then, you're putting $1200 at risk.

PROS - Easy to unpack and set up (aside from the extra miscellaneous parts). Easy to learn to fly. When GPS works, it works well. Camera is decent and the smartphone integration feature is awesome.

CONS - User set up (Compass calibration and wifi connectivity complex and unreliable). Instructions supplied with unit are incomplete and inadequate for proper preparation to use the product. QR codes directing users to videos for flight instructions makes sense. Better instructions (and better process) for calibration should be included with the unit (I could not find any information in the start up guide or other materials that explained what the S1 and S2 switches on the remote were for. I had to download the full user manual online and watch some videos). These switches are integral to the proper operation of the Phantom - you have to understand what they do to set up and fly safely.

Conclusion - Not ready for prime time. If you want to tinker and spend a bunch of time figuring out how to use this, it could be a great tool. Keep in mind that the operational and protection systems are unreliable and extremely difficult to set up and confirm proper operation. You're putting your money at risk.

Hopefully they can fix these things because I really want to own/use one of these.

1.0 out of 5 stars The most horrible customer service I have ever experienced. DJI is not reputable., June 17, 2014
Ok so it started out with the purchase of the new Phantom Vision 2 with an extra battery and case to house it all. Out of the box things went well. The Phantom flew and the camera worked as advertised. Two months later, however, I lost all camera control. It would not longer respond from the DJI iPhone app nor was I receiving flight information such as altitude, satellite information, ect. I tried a firmware update, but the firmware would not take in spite of the fact that I tried the update from two different computers, a PC and a Mac. Ironically, this is not where the problem began. The real problem began when I attempted to call the DJI North America Tech Support for help. Right from the beginning I was not able to get anyone to answer the phone. The phone rings, an automated voice prompt instructs you to press 3 for tech support, then the system tells you that you are number XX in line, then the phone hangs up on you... EVERY, SINGLE, TIME! I continued this cat and mouse game for several days and by the grace of God I finally was able to talk to someone. After explaining my problem to the tech person, they told me that there was nothing more to do to troubleshoot the problem and that the unit would need to be sent in. So get this, they tell me to call back in 2 weeks and ask for an RMA (return merchandise authorization) number because they are out of parts and can't process an RMA at the time. I explained to the rep how difficult it was to finally get through to them and they told me there was no other alternative!

So I wait 2 weeks and start the cat and mouse calling game to try and speak with tech support. You guessed it, the same old routine; call, press 3, told I'm number XX in line, then yes, I get hung up on, EVERY, SINGLE, TIME! As of this writing I still haven't gotten through to speak with anyone. If I'm persistent and have a bunch of time on my hands to play the calling game, I may be successful in a few days. But should anyone have to go through all of that? Like I said earlier, the customer service is terrible and I recommend that you do your business elsewhere. You will save yourself a ton of frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Quadcopter, November 4, 2013
I ordered this (from another vendor) and received it Saturday, first off this thing is awesome. I had to read the instructions first thoroughly to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Make sure you charge this thing fully before you go out and fly it, you have to charge both the battery and the wifi receiver that you connect to with your phone or tablet/iPad. I did have a hard time trying to figure out how to turn it on, the instructions say "Push on button and then push and hold the button for 2 seconds" This did not work like I thought it would, took me a few tries and finally got it going. You actually have to push the button once and let go and push it real fast again and hold it for it to turn on. Once you get it the first few times you will be able to do it without any issues, just a matter of getting used to. Flying this was a breeze and I actually flew it when it was windy (not recommended to fly when its very windy and its your first time flying). The camera quality is awesome on this and so is the 1080p video it takes, (just don't expect this video to have audio). You can sync the photo's right to your phone from the DJI Vision app you can download on your phone. All in all this is a great product and I have no complaints on it yet. If anyone has any questions I am more than willing to answer any to the best of my knowledge

1.0 out of 5 stars DJI issued a software upgrade that ended the honeymoon, November 15, 2013
11 months and 15-20 good flights into my DJI relationship they did something really outrageous. They issued a software upgrade for their batteries, flight control system and transmitter (DJI calls it the Controller). It has rendered my 5 DJI OEM batteries unusable. Yes that's close to $1,000 in batteries alone! Amazon is no help since I purchased it so long ago. If you must buy one of these I recommend you buy it from a legitimate licensed US distributor (not Amazon). Choose one that has in-house technical service personnel. Heck, the price will be the same and you will have recourse to DJI when they do something stupid like this. The savvy users on rcgroups.com have lots of advice on DJI products but with this software upgrade flop they are heading for the exits too.

[[[NOTE: the maximum size MiniSD memory card the camera will address is 32 gigs. Amazon's bot 'recommends' 64 gig but it won't work. The 4 gig card included with the 'copter is plenty for 15 minute videos.]]]
***************
This review will evolve, the DJI-PV just arrived yesterday. Premature? Maybe but I am so impressed with the packaging, product engineering and the instructional components that I had to write a review now. Not since my first iPhone have I seen such great product packaging--elegant, efficient, just plain cool. At the same time it is no frills and well conceived to protect the product. Assembling the Quad is easy and inspires confidence that somebody thought long and hard about producing a quality product at a modest price that is idiot proof. Things screw on one way (the right way) but not the other. The pre assembled parts look great and the fit and finish is excellent. This isn't a Tesla but it is an impressive product in large part because relatively inexpensive plastics have been designed and manufactured into a really functional, attractive product that is delivered as a great out-of-the-box experience. The printed instructions are adequate but they steer one to the online videos which are really well done. Each of the three short(ish) videos covers a different phase of product orientation leading up to your first flight and pictures. The Star of the show is the DJI-CEO (maybe?) and he is good at this. Don't quit your day job yet but you could have a future in tinsel town. Back to the Quad. The batteries charged as instructed. I own 50 lithium polymer packs for other craft and I know all about charging, balancing and lipo fires. These are smart lipo packs with built in balancing circuits that make them idiot proof. The included flight pack is big at 5,000mAh but it charged to full in about 90 minutes. The range extender also charged up quickly and easily using a USB cable to connect a computer to its internal and inaccesible battery pack. The flight transmitter uses 4 AA batteries. I'd prefer lipos there too and maybe I'll convert to that in the future using some of my spare 2s 7.4v cells. The flight pack gives 25 minute durations according to DJI. That is a long time. 5 minutes of full time concentrating and flying is pretty exhausting so I don't think a second flight pack is going to be all that essential. Fly a lot, then talk about the sortie while you re-charge the flight pack. I'll report back after a couple of flights...
Here is a link to a Phantom Vision online user group with lots of helpful hints by owners.
[...]
After several flights I remain impressed. Flight operation is straightforward almost easy. Camera is awesome, great resolution. Flew in a good breeze and the GPS assisted flight stabilization worked great! Let go of the control sticks and it just sits there in mid air where you left it. I did suffer a bit of a crash and I'm here to report this P2Vision is VERY TOUGH! Essentially it dropped 10' to the pavement. Straight down. The battery popped out clean and everything else was fine. Re-mount the battery and viola, it flew again in seconds. Pretty amazing but don't try this stunt at home! The iPhone link is very cool and since the autopilot feature (just let go of the control sticks) allows the Vision to hover, you can focus on the iPhone display from the camera. Pan, tilt shoot stills at 14 mpixels or video at 1080p. The Vision has exceeded my expectations.
Update 01/06/14
I continue to be impressed with the P2V. Its an awesome quad and very easy to use. Battery issues? None here and I'm now stocked with 3 batteries so the fun never stops. There is a firmware upgrade that I performed when I first received mine and most battery issues seem to disappear after this upgrade is done. It was never hard to fly but with practice I can maneuver adroitly with speed. My videos are improving too! I bought 6 spare props and I've only replaced on of them. This is a great value and a breakthrough product that is providing this grey haired guy lots of fun!
Update 02/20/14
I'm still loving it! I never had any of the battery issues mentioned above. As stated above I think the firmware update solved those issues and that seems to be the community consensus on the dedicated P2v forum at RCGroups.com