4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quad, Great Gimbal, Ok Camera
I have given this a 4 star is it's not perfect, but it's really, really good. These quads are relatively new, so you have to accept that they are not perfect. I have a Phantom 1 with a Gopro, so much of my comparisons will be to a Gopro Camera and Phantom 1

Published 5 months ago by Carl P.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this unless you are ready to lose ...
Published 3 months ago by Gabe

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Quad, Great Gimbal, Ok Camera, June 8, 2014
This review is from: DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ "V1.0" Quadcopter with FPV HD Video Camera and 3-Axis Gimbal Bundle with Extra Battery (Camera)

Flying: It's very stable and in GPS mode very easy to fly. The FPV is a very odd feeling at first, but very helpful once it's too far away to see. there is a small amount of lag, but it does not impact the usability of it. Compared to the phantom 1 it lowers altitude much smoother.

Gimbal/ Stability of video: Not to much to say here. The Gimbal is perfect. It's so stable I can't believe it.

Video Quality: It's good, but not great. There is a little grain in the video, but you can adjust the sharpness to make it nicer. It is limited to 1080p, so compared to a go pro it's a little behind. Don't get me wrong, its not bad, the gopro is just much better.

Photo Quality: Very good. You can adjust the spot metering in the air and even shoot in RAW. Still photos come out better then Gopro

Onscreen Flight Data: This is really nice. I can see how much battery is left, and I even get an alarm on my iPhone when I should turn back and land. If you are concerned about staying below 400ft for FAA rules there is even an altimeter.

Extra Battery: Is a must. I get about 17 min of flight time on each.

Overall I do like it alot, and would buy it again. What I like most about it is the out of the box nature. No tinkering, no parts... it just works.

5.0 out of 5 stars coolest thing I have ever bought, June 20, 2014
I have had about 20 flights now with the Phantom 2 Vision+. Overall: This is the coolest thing I have ever bought. Flying it is as exhilarating as a roller coaster. There is a lot to learn, however, so study the material well and fly safely. The challenges: It was a little glitchy at first, when setting it up. The iOS app stopped streaming video, so I had to reset the camera and re-install the app, which fixed it. After you turn the quad on, you must wait 10 seconds before attempting to connect the WiFi in the iOS; instructions could have been clearer on this. There were some errors during patching the firmware in the quad, but after a couple restarts, it was OK. The one thing I really don’t like is the fact that you can’t do a factory reset on the firmware, so if a patch locks up your quad, you’re done. Almost every other device I can think of has the ability to do a factory reset. It was OK for me, but I’ve heard others weren’t so lucky. Be sure to remove the gimbal clamp, even if you’re only turning it on to upgrade the firmware, not to fly it. I would recommend switching to NAZA mode, but I must note that the instructions for NAZA could have been a little clearer. There are some YouTube videos that help. The battery is sometimes hard to remove. Some people have said you don’t need to calibrate the compass before every flight; my experience seems to be that I should. Twice I lost control signal due to interference; both times the RTH mode activated immediately and brought it straight back to me. I’ve not had any flyaways, nor has it done anything in the air other than what I’ve told it to. Summary: Apart from these minor logistical issues, this has been a phenomenal product, worth the hefty price tag. GPS keeps it rock solid in the air. The video is beautiful and smooth as silk. You have to try this! YOLO. Happy flying!

4.0 out of 5 stars Phantom 2 Vision + Rocks !, May 30, 2014
My Phantom 2 Vision + was actually delivered before the expected ship date and it was all that I expected it to be. I had taken advantage of viewing numerous YouTube videos to acclimate myself to flying the quadcopter and they are invaluable, a must for any neophyte.
I only crashed once during my "orientation" flight and fortunately I only busted one propeller. The problem is that its so intuitive and easy to fly that you might become too confident, too soon. Using the training procedures for flight familiarity included with the instructions are extremely helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Flying like an expert in just 3 days, July 29, 2014
I have had this for less than a week. I decided to spend the high amount for this after owning several small to medium sized helicopters that I or my grandson spend 90% of the time chasing after a crash. We both began to loose interest after I could not get the helicopters to fly for any length of time,, much less a controlled flight.

Before flying, I read the Quick Guides and pilot guides. Then, I spent hours on You Tube watching the numerous instructional videos. Then, I went to my back yard, an area about 40x40 feet. Here, I practiced lifting off, hovering, and moving about. To my surprise, in about 3 minutes, I was able to fly in a square around the four corners of the yard without hitting the trees, my shed, or anything else. I did a bit of practice increasing altitude to about 20 feet, and again moving around. The drone was very stable and when I released the controls, it simply hovered in place.

Feeling a bit more confident, I went to a local school with 4 large ball fields -- Mega space!! I positioned the drone, started it and flew it about 100 feet forward, then back. In about 10 minutes, I was flying it around the open space. At one point, I lost orientation, and flew it toward a major road. It was so far away, I almost could not see it. I let it hover and moved the throttle down to make it decent. Without seeing it, it landed in a concrete parking lot upright, and totally undamaged.

On the second day, I became a bit more brave, and practiced flying around the school grounds, avoiding any roads, buildings etc. I practiced a bit with the camera, and actually took videos and still. I increased altitude to about 200 feet.

On the third day, I decided to practice trying to keep myself in the video frame. This is harder that it seems, since your need some skill with the controls to keep the orientation correct. Remember, with the camera faces forward, pushing the leaver forward makes it more forward, backward makes it move backward, left is left and right is right. If the camera faces me, the all controls are reversed. Even more tricky if it is at an angle to me. In a 3 minute video, my flying skills were able to keep the camera with me in the frame about 90% of the time. Hugh improvement from the first day. I practiced flying circles, figure 8's etc. Getting a bit brave, I raised the altitude to 400 feet. This is the maximum I programed into the control unit. The drone with up to 420 feet, and screen on my phone gave an alarm that I reached my maximum altitude. Them my phone began to make a sound like a submarine diving. I look, and my battery was getting low. Great, with the drone at 400 feet. I pushed the control lever all the way down, but no matter how hard you push, the drone comes down very slow, slow enough to make a safe landing. In about a minute or two, the drone was save on the ground. The control unit is programed to give the battery warning at 25%, so there is time to get the drone to return.

Putting in a new battery, I tested the homing function by moving the drone out about 100 feet from me and turning off the control unit. The drone waited a few seconds, increased altitude to 60 feet, hesitated in place then slowly moved closer to the take off point and slowly landed totally unassisted.

Lastly, I tried programming in a few waypoints for an automated flight. Nothing complex, just 3 points - one about 150 feet forward, one 100 feet to the left, then a return home. I initiated to program and the drone raised to 100 feet and followed the program and returned home, totally automated.

I still have lots to learn, but after 3 days, I did not even come close to a crash. The hover feature lets you concentrate on the camera and not the flying.

Here are some Pro and Cons:

Pros:
1. Very easy to fly, but start out very slow in a wide open place.
2. Surprisingly good pictures and videos (I am not a professional so my standards may be less than others)
3. Great to watch the drone through the camera as it flies,
4. All features appeared to do what they were supposed to.
5. There is a ton of YouTube's on this project and they are great tutorials.

Cons:
1. Instructions are in very small type, and often unclear.
2. Several errors received on the phone that the compass needed calibration. I find the compass calibration a bit tricky to get it into the mode, and it needs to be done virtually every time you fly.
3. The drone tends to tip forward while landing. I purchased the optional propeller guards, and this I consider mandatory for a multitude of reasons. If nothing else, the props are expensive and you don't want them bent or broken and the prop guards stop this.
4. The drone is hard to see even with the blinking lights when it flies. You need to know it's orientation if you are to control it properly. I spray painted the front 2 propeller guards a neon pink to better see the front of the drone. This helps to some extent and I would definitely recommend it.
5. It takes some time to set up, download the control programs for your phone off their web site (expect lots of Chinese writing as you download it), and since it not on the standard Andriod or Apple play store, you need to go to settings on your phone to allow the download of a non authorized program. Same for your computer.
6. I got totally lost when my computer would not connect to the control unit. Although there is a place to connect the control unit to the computer, you actually connect the drone to the computer to go through initial calibration. This cost me a half hour before I discovered it.
7. It is difficult to see the controls on your phone if you are flying in bright light. Some of the indicators and warning are so small they are nearly impossible to see during flight.
8. The radar scope, in the lower right of the phone screen is supposed to show you the orientation of the drone. My experience is that this is way off and near worthless.

That's all after 3 days. I will give an update if I find anything important.

When I felt ready, I went to a local school that had a huge ball fields hundreds of feet long and wide.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic flying camera great product, May 19, 2014
E. Stouch "estouch" (Blairstown, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I had the AR Drone 2.0 so I was able to transition very easily to the DJI phantom 2 vision plus I feel very comfortable handing this over to someone who has never flown before very easy to fly great user interface extremely stable platform pictures and video are fantastic highly recommended an excellent build quality very tough have not crashed it yet super stable can go a lot further than other drawings on the market for sure just all around great product highly recommend that you get the professional products hard case to keep your drawing safe

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to have some FUN!, June 9, 2014
This thing flies itself. GPS, failsafes won't let you screw up. Unless you decide to fly it without GPS then its like all the manual quads. The ability to fly FPV, through the cameras eye is too cool. Like being in the Quadcopter, a very different perspective, great video. Comes with a 4 GB micro SD, but I upgraded to 32 GB. Comes with a USB cord so you can share all the fun with everyone. I have viewed several videos online where people have lost their Phantoms on the first flight. If you read the instructions and follow them regarding the initialization, which is pretty simple, its a snap. Before I bought the Phantom I bought an inexpensive quadcopter to learn how to use the controls so I was able to fly without the GPS but when you're using the camera the GPS makes it so much easier. You can fly run the camera and drink a cup of coffee. This thing makes you look like you've been flying for years. Since I bought mine several of my friends have purchased one. And you might as well get extra batteries because 25 min. is not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great upgrade over the P2V, June 21, 2014
The P2V was a good quadcopter but the plus really takes it to the next level! The stabilization is incredible, it gets you really solid video. The return to home works as expected and it already saved me once. Just make sure you enable the return to home switch! For reasons unknown this is not standard out of the box.

The camera isn't quite GoPro Hero 3 quality but its still very good. I have shot some amazing footage with it. However, if you want the best of the best quality, get a non-vision model and mod it with a fat shark for FPV.

The battery like really does last 20 - 25 minutes. However, never flew it over 25% or so. There is plenty of reports of people flying it downwind and losing it because they didn't have enough battery to fight the winds back. The vision model has the huge advantage of seeing the battery strength as you are flying it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this unless you are ready to lose ..., August 26, 2014
Do not buy this unless you are ready to lose $1,300 any time you decide to fly it. I just lost mine and DJI will not take any responsibility for it even though I followed their instructions precisely and to the letter. Their support line recognized the problem as follows: "We have heard of some instances of what people are terming “Fly away”, causing a loss or a crash...We have reviewed your survey, and based on the incident you experienced, we feel that compensation is necessary." However, instead of a refund or even a replacement, they've offered to sell me the same product again at a 30% discount.

By the way, these "fly aways" are anything but rare. Before buying, at least take a look at, among other sites, Facebook's "DJI Flyaway & Crash Psychological Support Page" to get an idea as to how common these so called fly aways are. DJI should not be allowed to sell this product without first disclosing the severity and extent of this problem.

Do not deal with this company. It is selling a defective product that it does not support in any meaningful way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quad with disappointing gimble / camera rig, August 24, 2014
After careful review and research of this kind of product, I purchased one of these for a media business that is gearing up. The day I received the package, I spent the entire day viewing all materials, including youtube and forums, and set this up as carefully and specifically as I could. This thing was calibrated three ways through Sunday but on our initial test flight, I experienced a number of navigational issues, despite the 7 satellite lock we had. So, I researched a bit more and found that my firmware had an update, and so I naturally installed it. The next day, I went to the park and in an open field set myself up for another test flight, which I expected the update to have improved. The initial test went very well and I brought the bird up to about 30 feet and let it hover. We had 8 or 9 satellites locked on, but yet it drifted a bit. I figured it just needed another calibration of the joysticks and ran it though a few paces.... so far, so good. VERY fun. But then I got to the point of my exercises to test the return to home feature and HERE is where things got crazy.

The quad was about 150 or so feet away and about 25 feet off the ground. I didn't want it too far or high, as I wanted to keep a close eye on it. And so, now I killed the remote control, as instructed to test it, and it climbed to about 60 feet... as it should... and then headed my way VERY fast..... and ... and .... and ..... kept going, straight over my head about 30 or 40 feet, straight into a tree branch and crashed rudely to the ground. It hit a few branches on the way down, but it wasn't that high up, so I can't imagine those hit very hard... AND it landed on relatively soft grass.

Long story short, the gimble on the device was totally destroyed, bent and not usable. And so I have two problems with this device. I did some reading and on phantompilots.com (GREAT site) and on their forum I found a LOT of users with the same 3.06 update... that's how I learned it WAS the update. One poor guy lost his in the ocean during a professional shoot... he was three year experienced with the Phantom product line. And so I first have a problem with this company releasing an update that was obviously not tested well enough. Their clients have a LOT at stake, not just product value and lost time, but ... what happens when one of these devices flys or lands into a crowd of people ? Or causes a traffic accident. This is serious business and they should take it more seriously. Secondly... this is a ..... ** FLYING ** device. Don't you think that an $800 component (the cost of replacement of the camera and gimble) should be built a bit better? Again, there were MANY on this forum AND ON YouTube that have the SAME complaint with this model. The quality (durability) of this product is TERRIBLE considering the cost of it. NOT something I'm willing to pay for each time I land hard.

I'm returning this unit defective (which it surely is with that screwed up firmware update) and will protect this gimble assembly with a product I found on line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTkj_5oYl-E , and hopefully this will solve THAT problem. Of course, I will NOT install the 3.06 update of the firmware... in fact, where this company is concerned I will not EVER install an update UNLESS for some reason I have no choice.

I hope that when DJI figures out how to improve their gimble design, that they compensate all those owners who are suffering with the current issues and unnecessary expenditures. The Phantom is no doubt the best bang for the buck on the market, but if the optical side of things are not functional and reliable, then it's a moot point. This is NOT a toy, but a serious tool and it comes with some cost. I am disappointed that the company would think so little of it's users to allow such a chinsey component to be associated with their good name. Quite frankly, the quality of this thing is an embarrassment, and if I could have proper FPV using the GoPro, I'd just do THAT. I give this product only two stars because of the poorly designed gimble and ribbon assembly as backed up by a great many youtube and forum posts. The Quad itself is KILLER (with the proper firmware)... now if only they could address their non existent tech support (also publicly acknowledged and accepted as fact) they would be one KILLER company.

3.0 out of 5 stars DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus) The Gimbal System is a Piece of Crap Do Not Buy This Unless You Are Made of Money!, July 13, 2014
So you think you want this, just wait until you buy another to replace the damaged camera gimbal that can't be fixed and because in the beginning replacement camera units were not available. Now picture this at about 50 feet away, 35 feet in elevation your connection between the controller and P2V+ becomes unresponsive, flies into palm fronds sliding down those then flips and drops 12 feet with no visible damage anywhere except a dirt smudge on a prop & a crack in the optional prop guard that you have to buy and install (honestly I've seen some nasty cuts on videos of people cut by blades and you really will want to install these.) But now your camera flops like a fish on land. BTW in case you don't know these only record video with NO SOUND.

Good news the gimbal is non-repairable or serviceable... BUST OUT $680 for a camera unit. Anybody want to buy a couple of good used slightly marred DJI Phantom 2 Vision+'s with new cameras on them??? Joking of course, due to the fragility of these its probably good I have 2 of these now to have a backup unit. I have a rant review of this gimbal system on LiveLeak dot com.

This is a PG video due to language- you have been warned!- http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=58a_1405193854

My channel there has a channel in the channel called "Aloha Kauai Flybys - Aerial Videos of Kauai" if you want to see some of the video these can do I edited.

In my opinion you are ahead getting the Phantom 2 and rigging it with the FPV system, separate gimbal & GoPro, at least you'll have sound on your recordings you can mute. The other plus is you'll be able to replace components that cost a portion of the Phantom 2 Vision+'s camera unit with non-replaceable gimbal. Think of the money you will save in the long run!

Now my situation was compounded by the lack of camera replacements in the beginning. I use this for work & fun of making videos. So I rationalized it was a $400 dollar ding by not being grounded for over a month because I wanted a couple of extra batteries anyway.

Fortunately I can use these as write off for my work but I am betting most of you cannot. A gimbal independent of a camera component or that is repairable is what is needed. DJI's camera is very heavy in relation to the gimbal, its a machined chuck of aluminum that could be a high impact plastic to save weight and beef up the gimbal durability with sturdier components. A redesign is in order, one that includes a replaceable gimbal independent of the camera system.

This is my 2˘ on this product, it is good but far from being perfect or durable for its intended use and likely mishaps. Sooner or later most of you will crash, when you do if the gimbal goes out of whack it will cost you $680 for starters.