5.0 out of 5 stars A SPLENDID BUT BRIEF BOOK

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to Be Trusted
Published 20 months ago by Louis Torres

5.0 out of 5 stars A SPLENDID BUT BRIEF BOOK, January 29, 2010
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
While this book is basicly aimed at 9 to 12 year olds, I, as an adult found it very facinating. There are about 70 pages packed with dozens of stunning color photos of stone tools, art, early weapons like arrows, iron or bronze knives and swords, jewelry and clothing. There is also a brief section on diet. In short, all the handiwork and customs of early man are touched upon. The text is brief but the photos and pictures say a lot. The depictions of early man himself by the authors seem less important, I believe, than his creations. The species of man that is discussed is for the most part limited to homo sapiens and neanderthal. This is a splendid book that anyone interested in the subject would enjoy owning. I am looking foreward to other books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Humans, August 26, 2012
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
I liked this DK book: Early Humans. I like all of the DK books that I have purchased and most of them have been read more than once. I find that the second time around I discover things I missed on the first reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful., September 26, 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
I am so glad I bought this book, my students refer to it again and again, very useful. Good price and fast delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, October 29, 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
Excellent book. Very informative. Highly recommend. DK Books are one of my son's favorite series of books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not to Be Trusted, April 23, 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
The first illustration in the section on "The first artists" (p. 24) is of a single male reindeer, labeled a "Masterpiece of Cave Art." The caption underneath says that the painting is in a cave at "Altamira, Spain." The image is incomplete, however, and the caption is inaccurate. What is shown is only half of the actual painting. Omitted is a kneeling female deer facing the male, who seems about to nuzzle or lick her head--a poignant subject, perhaps unique in prehistoric art, yet apparently not thought important enough for students to know about. The original painting is in the Font-de-Gaume cave in southern France, not in Spain! I visited the cave last fall and saw it with my own eyes. How many other instances of such misinformation are there in the book? Impossible to tell, but parents and teachers would do well not to take any chances. Better to find other books on the subject.

Apparently not known to the editors when the book was first published is that the illustration is not of the actual painting but of a modern reproduction of the original, now barely visible, yet still extremely touching. See for yourself. At Google Images, search for "two reindeer font-de-gaume" (omit the quotation marks). Find two large images, both from "donsmaps.com." In the image of the painting itself, the curved antlers of the male deer are visible. The other image to look for is of the brightly colored copy of the original, for which we owe a huge debt of gratitude to Henri Breuil (1877-1961). Read more about the two deer and how Breuil copied such paintings in caves (photography was not yet advanced enough) in The Cave Painters: Probing the Mysteries of the World's First Artists. Learn about his life on the website of the New World Encyclopedia. If you want to know much more, read Father of prehistory; the AbbeÌ Henri Breuil: His life and times.

Louis Torres, Co-Editor, Aristos (An Online Review of the Arts), Co-Author, What Art Is: The Esthetic Theory of Ayn Rand

3.0 out of 5 stars For older kids than my 4 and 6 year old grandkids, July 31, 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
I suggested that my grandkids keep this book to use for a project when they
are 10 or so. It has lots of good content.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, September 27, 2012
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed many DK books through the years and felt good about passing them along to the children, but this one goes into file 13. Perhaps I'm partly at fault for purchasing it because I did not bother to read any reviews on it. If you believe in evolution, you will like the book, but I do not believe that we humans evolved from monkeys, nor do I want children under my influence to be taken in by such anti-Creation ideas, so this is not a book I will share.

DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans
DK Eyewitness Books: Early Humans by Philip Wilkinson (Hardcover - April 11, 2005)
Used & New from: $5.71