4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Travel Guide

Published on November 22, 2000 by Michael A. Efron

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, November 22, 2000
Michael A. Efron (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
The Eyewitness Guides are an oustanding series, so I bought this one without a second thought. Alas, this seems more like a placeholder than a serious attempt at writing a guidebook - a kind of "watch this space" advertisement masquerading as a book. It's so thin, in fact, that the cover seems to sag; the spine is thicker than the pages! The coverage of Oahu is decent, so if you only plan to go to Honolulu, the book might be worthwhile. But the coverage of Kauai (where we spent most of our time) and the Big Island were very poor. I'd very highly recommend the "Ultimate Kauai Guidebook" for Kauai instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Travel Guide, November 23, 2004
I am a fan of the DK travel guides, and particularly like the color photography that allows readers to visualize the area more than most other travel guides. In reality I would like to give this guide 3.5 stars, but will have to settle for four. The photography is generally good, and the information is generally correct in my experience. This book features some excellent pointers that are especially good for those new to Hawaii. The book has a brief background section on the islands as a whole, and has decent island by island coverage of all the major Hawaiian Islands (certainly all the ones a tourist would visit.)

My only real critique of the book is that with a length of just over 200 pages, it is not terribly complete given the diversity of the Hawaiian Islands. The hotel (and restaurant) listings are generally accurate, but are not complete, resulting in the situation where some fairly well known and sizeable properties are overlooked, which can be extremely annoying if you happen to be booked in one of those properties. This is by far the biggest drawback to this book.

My take on the situation is that this is a good book for finding things to explore further in Hawaii, but when it comes down to detailed planning, I recommend that you consult other guidebooks; I particularly like the Lonely Planet series of guides, which has offerings for all the islands that you will be interested in visiting, albeit with less captivating photography.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too bad, August 15, 2000
I am a big fan of Dorling Kindersley Travel Guides, so I was greatly disappointed when I received this pamphlet sized guide to all of Hawaii. It contained slightly more information than I would expect from airport brochures on arrival. With roughly 10 picture covered pages per island, the guide is attractive, but not very useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the photos at least, February 12, 2005
Kate (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This book leaped out at me when I was in a bookstore the other day looking for books for our upcoming honeymoon to Hawaii. The pictures sold me. They're beautiful and most of the other Hawaii guides weren't so visually appealing. But the iinformation contained in the book was dissapointing. It was as skimpy as some of the bathing suits worn there! I'm going to buy or order another book or two to supplement this one. This will be the one I dream over, and the others will be for good solid practical info and advise.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just plain bad, October 4, 2004
Travelrama (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
As colourful and glossy this is, it would be a plain waste of money to buy this Eyewitness guide. DK does publish some excellent books, but this is just not one of them. As DK is traditionally weaker in hotel and food recommendations, it usually more than makes up for it with impressive content mixed with beautiful pictures. This is not the case in Hawaii, however. Coverage of each island is a maximum of 30-40, more realistically 15-25. At 208 pages, this guide seriously falls short of expectations. Try lobbying DK to make a much better Hawaii guide the next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too short, too high level, November 17, 2006
We own about 15 of the DK Eyewitness Travel guides, and have dogeared the pages over several trips. They are amazingly useful.

But this one is not their best effort. Hawaii is a very diverse place, and to try and "hit the highlights" in a travel guide is a mistake. This book is right at 200 pages, but almost 80 are about Honolulu, Wakiki and Oahu, leaving only 120 pages for all of the other islands. Even the pieces about Oahu (with little info about the west coast/Makaha and just a mattering on the North Shore) and Honolulu (with a few measly paragraphs on Pearl Harbor) is scant.

As I said, I love the DK Eyewitness series, it is the first travel book we get when going someplace new. But for Hawaii, there are several other books more in-depth. If you are going to Maui or The Big Island, I suggest getting Maui:Revealed or Hawaii The Big Island: Revealed (each 300 pages, pictures, maps, etc.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, April 24, 2006
I give this book 3 stars because the pictures are beautiful and they made me go and visit the places pictured in the book. But, as another reviewer wrote, you can't cover all the Hawaiian islands in 150-200 pages. Way to little info about the islands and the sights. Ok if you want a quick overview, but not ok if you want details. I usually like the DK guide books, but this one was disappointing. The Ultimate Guide and the Rough Guide are much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice photos, April 21, 2004
By A Customer
Not the book for you if you're wanting detailed information about hotels, restaurants, etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice travel book with photos., March 29, 2007
Pedro J. Garcia (Brownsville, TX. United States) - See all my reviews
It is a great book, has a lot of color pictures, but dont have great maps and is difficult for travelers.

I recommend only for first time visitors to Hawaii.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful DK travel book, as usual, February 9, 2009
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Hawaii (Vinyl Bound)
Whenever I am planning on taking a trip, one of my first courses of action is to consult the DK Eyewitness Travel Guides for that location.

I love the layout and the visual feel to the guides. The size of these books makes them ideal for carrying with you on vacation, while still packing in tons of information.

The Hawaii Eyewitness Travel Guide is no exception. The book is divided into sections on each of the islands and covers a variety of activities. After searching on the internet for hours, I was able to find the most reliable and precise information in this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Hawaii
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Hawaii by Bonnie Friedman (Vinyl Bound - March 19, 2007)
Used & New from: $0.01