4.0 out of 5 stars Great Photgraphic Journey to Introduce Children to Geography
Published on January 10, 2007 by Bookhound

3.0 out of 5 stars All right...could be better
Has plenty of good pictures and does introduce kids to various places, but it does not really serve well as an atlas. For purposes of teaching the shapes of countries, where mountain ranges are, what the big cities are, and such things one learns from an atlas, this is very poor. The pages are a bit too busy. Less would have been more.
Published on August 24, 2008 by Lawrence M. Sanger

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Photgraphic Journey to Introduce Children to Geography, January 10, 2007
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
This is an excellent and inviting book for children who want to learn about world geography. It gives an overview of the different types of maps and atlases, topography, climates, and oceans. Also contained are illustrations of flags of the world. Each region contains several beautiful photographs and illustrations. These, along with charts, and the large, easy-to-read text, provide information about wildlife, food, natural resources, agriculture, architecture, monuments, landscape and terrain, sports, music, typical clothing, and interesting facts. The globe is on the introductory page of each region. This is particularly helpful because the region being explored is colored red, making it easy for kids to visualize where in the world they are looking. There is also a compass on the introductory pages for each region.

An earlier reviewer suggested that people were half-naked. There are no photos of anyone that exposes what would normally be covered by a bathing suit. The one exception to this is the photo of sumo wrestler. He is wearing his mawashi, the thick belt that doesn't cover much of his behind.

I would not hesitate to use this book with children. Even young teens enjoy looking at this visual feast for the eyes and picking up tidbits of information.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very British!, July 1, 2005
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
I'm generally impressed by this book as a resource for teaching young children about the world, but even the US edition I have strikes me as very much oriented toward the British world view. The main thing that bothers me is that the main thing they consider interesting about Ireland is... Guinness beer! Also, the "Southern Ocean" is included, which I didn't think was recognized by US schools. Unless something changed recently, I always thought there were four oceans: Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Arctic.

3.0 out of 5 stars All right...could be better, August 24, 2008

5.0 out of 5 stars Great homeschooling supplement!, January 13, 2010
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
We're using this book to supplement our homeschooling curriculum, and we're really enjoying it! My girls are 7 and almost-6. The 7-year-old, especially, loves picking through the pictures and tidbits of information on each page. As another reviewer mentioned, sometimes the highlights for a particular country aren't necessarily my top choices, but I don't think that should lessen the book's rating. The pictures are magnificent, the information is well laid out, and my kids and I get a good, basic introduction to a geographical area and its culture(s). We use this book in conjunction with the books Children Just Like Me and Geography Songs. We also recently added the Brain Box "Around the World" game. We're loving geography!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 star atlas for young kids !, March 12, 2014
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
It's a typical DK book - incredibly high quality photographs and thought provoking info. Most importantly they didn't just fill it up with "something"; they truly did put in the most interesting, famous, important things about most countries, as far as I can tell. The only "error" I found was that a few of the US state capitals weren't printed. The book's publisher is British, while the coloring was done in Singapore, the publishing in NYC, and the printing and bounding in Slovakia -- i.e. it truly seems they didn't spare an expense for an incredible book - from our world, about our world. I am an adult and it makes me feel excited, privileged, and grateful that I am a part of the incredible world they present. Wish I had this as a kid so I recommend it for every 7-12+ year old.

(I can't see/read a single thing that makes it "from a UK point of view" - these 4 countries actually get MUCH less space than USA and others)

1.0 out of 5 stars Recommendation - Don't Buy!, February 14, 2011
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
I'm very disappointed and irritated that I have to go through the hassle of returning it for something better. A basic geography book ok but it has no right to be called an "Atlas." The information and pictures are great but all the maps suck. I expected real photos for the maps and more then one crummy picture of each continent. I really do not understand the people who gave this book a good review. I give it a thumbs down and one sad star.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for first atlas!, February 14, 2014
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
My grandson loved it - lots of information - we read two pages a night! Grandson is 3 yrs old - we are on our third reading of the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for Grandkids, December 20, 2013
S. Parks "liljay" (Cincinnati, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
I would have to say it is very high quality and I am sure the kids will love it. Their mother requested it for Christmas as she home schools our grandchildren. It is colorful and has interesting facts about many places without being overwhelming or boring. I cannot give an opinion from the kids (ages 6 and 8) yet since it is not Christmas, but I think they are going to think it makes learning more fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter's favorite book!, July 2, 2013
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
I found this on Amazon.com looking for an interesting Atlas for my daughter, who is 6 and 1/2. She loves looking at the maps, and the pictures of people and the different cultures around the world. I love how it is inspiring curiosity about the world in my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully illustrated Atlas, May 18, 2013
D. E. Martin (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) (Hardcover)
You won't find a better atlas for young children that can be used in so many ways to learn about the world and all its parts. What you see during the LOOK INSIDE! is what you see for every continent. Great for geography, and greater still for understanding the world and the people who live in different places and how they live there.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series)
DK First Atlas (DK First Reference Series) by Anita Ganeri (Hardcover - May 17, 2004)
$16.99 $13.83