5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photography! Great book for kids!
This book is one of the nicest books I have found for children on the Titanic. The pictures are beautiful and it's nice to have an early reader book that is non-fiction.
Published on April 20, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids liked it
Donated this to a school library. The kids were glad to get it so they liked it
Published 5 months ago by old soldier

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent photography! Great book for kids!, April 20, 1999
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Titanic Book Young Readers, May 2, 2005
This review is from: DK Readers: Titanic: The Disaster That Shocked the World! (Level 3: Reading Alone) (Paperback)
I purchased this book for my son in second grade who is captivated by the tragedy of the sinking of the Titanic and this book was perfect for his reading level and probably younger readers too. He has watched several movies about the Titanic and he took this book into school today to share with his class. It gives a very good account of the facts and brings the reader forward to it's dsicovery in the 1980's. It is a good book for the kids to read to themselves or for parents to read to them. I liked it myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars The story about the Titanic and the tragedy that occurred!, February 6, 2014
I am a strong advocate to teaching children to read. Children can rapidly expand their knowledge and intellect through reading and of course the books they start with have to be interesting and fun to read.

The DK series of books provides an excellent training platform for you to help your kids to learn to read and enjoy it. The books are available in 5 levels that are designed to help your children start to read and learn. The levels are:

Pre-level 1: Learning to read
Level 1: Beginning to read
Level 2: Beginning to read alone
Level 3: Reading alone
Level 4: Proficient readers

This book is a level three book.

The tragedy of the Titanic sinking shocked the world and almost everyone has heard the story. Many books and films about the story have been made. Newscasts of the recent rediscovery of the wreckage have kept the ship alive after all of these years.

This is a well written story about the ship and its passengers and captain. It covers the ship's basic design and why it was considered unsinkable. The detailed story goes over the passengers and crew and talks about what really happened to the ship. It covers the tragic loss of life and how the disaster changed the passenger cruise ship industry and shipping in general.

Not only is the story well written and full of details, the book also includes:

* Beautiful artwork
* Ship layout diagrams
* Original photos and present day photographs of the submersibles that were used to discover her resting place. There are also photos of the Titanic under water and of recovered personal items.
* Copies of the original newspaper front pages

History of the rediscovery of the Titanic is covered. How it was found and explored on the bottom of the sea bed using submersible vessels. There is also a chapter of the lessons learned about the tragedy of the Titanic.

There is a glossary of terms relating the Titanic and her parts. It contains a lot of interesting data even discussing classes of passengers and technical terms regarding the ship. This is an excellent book about one of the greatest tragedies in history of a passenger ship. I enjoyed reading it and reviewing it and your children will learn from reading this book. I was able to download this book from my local library to my Kindle Fire. You should consider this as an excellent way to add reading materials for your child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and interesting non-fiction readers for independent young readers, May 9, 2011
My kindergartner reads at a third grade level (or so we've been told), and she loves fiction, especially the Judy Moody series and Ivy and Bean series of books. I've been looking around for non-fiction books that are pitched at her level, and it was important for these books to have a challenging but not overly daunting vocabulary.

I came across these Dorling Kindersley Readers (which were formerly known as Eyewitness Readers) at my local library and they proved to be just the books I was looking for. Unlike the works of fiction which I've let my daughter read by herself (and she seems to enjoy doing so), I actually sit with her as she reads these books, because there are several words, namely proper nouns that require some help with pronunciation, etc. This reader was about the history of the Titanic, and contained enough information to make it interesting to young readers, yet not too dense to overwhelm them. The book also contains many archival photographs and color illustrations that engage readers' interest. I feel it is never too early to introduce children to works of non-fiction so that they can learn to appreciate that real life can be just as interesting as the fictional worlds they read in books.

5.0 out of 5 stars DK readers: Titanic: The Disaster That Shocked The World!, April 18, 2009
This is a really great book, for children and even adults. Word appropriate for the age/grade. Very informational. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son (age 7) loved this, July 14, 2013
Lisa K. (San Diego, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
My husband took my kids to an exhibit about the Titanic a few months ago, and ever since, my son (age 7) has been interested in the Titanic. He's not the strongest reader, either in terms of interest or skill, but this book really captured his interest, and we'd trade off reading pages. He loved it. We just finished the Gettysburg title in the same series... the series is a bit weird to me because of the focus on some fairly serious disasters. But I think that's just a girl perspective. I think the writers do a good job of balancing the needs to be realistic/true and to be careful about their audience. So I'd really recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read for adult son with Down Syndrome, January 17, 2013
Subject matter my Down Syndrome son is interested in at a level he can read. My son loved the movie. Thanks to DK readers for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK!!!!, April 12, 2002
A Kid's Review
The book was very detailed and interesting. I knew some things about the TITANIC but not as much as this book tells me!!!! This is a great book. I am looking foward to reading all the others Eyewitness Books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kids liked it, June 30, 2014
Donated this to a school library. The kids were glad to get it so they liked it

5.0 out of 5 stars summary review, May 20, 2014
I ordered DK Readers "Titanic: The Disaster that Shocked the World!" book for my son, he loves reading about the Titanic and really enjoyed reading this book too.

Used & New from: $0.01