There are many blade sharpener systems on the market; and you can spend a pretty penny auditioning and finding the one that suits your needs. There are carbide sharpeners, Arkansas wet stones, oilstones, butcher's steels, ceramic rod systems, sharpening sticks, and even motorized sharpeners.

Believe me, the DMT Diamond Diafold Fine/Coarse Hone Two Sided Knife...
Published on October 22, 2006 by jimnypivo

1.0 out of 5 stars very flimsy
The handle is horrible it broke the first time i used it. The sharpener its self is amazing but i has a crappy handle.
Published 16 months ago by Carter Jenkins

5.0 out of 5 stars There may be better sharpeners out there, but I'm not looking any further., October 22, 2006

Believe me, the DMT Diamond Diafold Fine/Coarse Hone Two Sided Knife Sharpener is the most effective and versatile blade sharpener of them all. It is the best I have ever used--in camp, in the kitchen, or in the workshop. I'm completely happy with mine.

I've been sharpening tools for decades, and the most frustrating thing about hand-sharpening is how long it takes to get a good edge. In my sons' Scout Troop, we have many tools to sharpen -axes, hatchets, kitchen knives, woodcarving gouges, pocket knives--- and we have to do it often. The thing the boys love best about my Diafold is at how quickly and easily it can take a dull edge and make it keen. Our scoutmaster didn't believe me when I said I could sharpen a dull axe head in minutes. After five minutes with the Diafold, wood chopping was a breeze.

I like its design--the surface is plenty long at 4 inches and about an inch wide, and the Diafold's cover folds back to form a handle, making it about 8 inches long when in use. You can draw it across the blade like an axe, or draw the blade across it like a knife. It is versatile enough to use on the smallest pen knife or a large splitting maul. Heck, you could probably make quick work on a lawnmower blade if you were so inclined.

Diamond dust is integrated into its sharpening surface (rather than an encrusted top layer), so there's diamond all the way through. I've had mine for a couple of years now, and although it's plenty-worn, it hasn't slowed down. Someone always wants to use it.

Yeah, it's pricey at $25 to $35... But you get what you pay for. And if you shop around, you'll find lower prices. But make sure it's a DMT Diafold. You won't be sorry, and you'll stop looking for the ideal blade sharpener.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect portable sharpener... but get the Angle Mate accessory as well!!!, November 6, 2010
This review is from: DMT FWFC Double Sided Diafold Sharpener Fine / Coarse (Tools & Home Improvement)
I really have little to add to all the five-star reviews. This is the best diamond sharpener I've ever used. I use it routinely to sharpen everything, including my Swiss Army knife, kitchen knives, axes... Practical, pocket-sized, long-lasting, and the perfect combination Fine/Coarse grits. I don't really think most people will need the model with the Extra-Fine grit; just use the Fine grit with very light pressure and you'll get a polished, razor-sharp blade - unless you're a chef and require perfect finishing on your knives.

The only additional recommendation I would make is, if you are not very experienced at constantly keeping the correct angle when sharpening a knife, get also the DMT AM Angle Mate Accessory. This is a magnetic angle guide that grips the diamond surface and provides the sharpening angle recommended by DMT and appropriate for most knives, at 20 degrees. For me this is an essential accessory, as the sharpening process is MUCH faster and more precise when you maintain the proper angle, and I find that almost impossible without the guide.

Thanks for reading - hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excided my expectations, July 14, 2010
I want to keep it short and sweet. I am deployed in the middle east we are using our fixed blade and folding knifes like crazy, this sharpener is what we now rely on.

I have had it for just under a week, I have sharpened over 12 blades they all come out great and less than 5 minutes maybe up to 10 depending on the condition of the blade.

I am buying the fine extra fine sharpener today in fact to get a better edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great. Takes a bit of practice., December 1, 2009
The coarse side really gets blades back into form. I use this differently than most as I grip the handle with the sharpening part point down at an angle I want to sharpen and then brace the bottom part. Then I just go straight up and down with the knife. The fine side gets knives to a nice sharp point, but often I find the coarse is good enough for most purposes and leaves some 'bite' to the blade. If you need help keeping an angle, they make a magnetic angle guide. Just a really versatile sharpener. One complaint that is easily rectified...I kept forgetting which was coarse...blue or red. I just used a sharpie to mark it on the handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Field Sharpening Tool, July 21, 2010
I recently found myself overseas without a good stone to sharpen my knife. A quick check at Amazon located the DMT double sided diafold sharpener with corse and fine sides. After receiving the tool, I quickly got the edge back on my field and pocket knives. The corse diamond grit side is great to repair or start an edge and the fine side provides a usably sharp surface. While it will not compete with good Arkansas and Washita stones for an ultra sharp edge, it is light and folds up and is thus ideal for puting in your rucksack and it is also good for maintaining edged tools like machetes and axes. I highly recommend it for outdoorsmen, hunters, soldiers or anyone else needing a portable and capable tool to keep your edged tools and knives sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and Fine, May 19, 2010
I don't have a huge collection of blades, but they do run the gamut from a almost chisel bladed SOG S63 multi-tool to fine Henckels kitchen blades. The Diafold has done very well on all of them, all stainless blades (AUS-8 on my CS SRK and CM154 on the Benchmade HG550 Grip). The Blue (coarse) makes quick work of bringing up the edge and the Red (fine) easily and quickly makes the edge razor sharp. Th red will not polish to a super fine edge, but it is great for even the kitchen blades as it leaves a microfine serrated edge that allows for fast slicing and chopping.

No signs of wear, easy to care for, very easy to use, very inexpensive, does the job!! What more can you ask for? Oh - the handles that fold up are sturdy, and when open, they even have little tabs that lock together for a solid handle. The DMT Diafold has a permanent place in my camping bag to quickly and easily maintain my blades!

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective sharpening tool, June 19, 2012
I have owned this sharpener for some time now and use it to sharpen camping and kitchen knives. It worked great. Also, I would like to point out that DMT is a responsible vendor and respects its customers. I had an issue with another product of theirs and once I asked a question on how I can remedy the defect. They immediately responded same day with offer to send me a replacement, even though I didn't even ask for it. Thanks guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, quick and convenient, December 15, 2010
David Burch (Western Wisconsin USA) - See all my reviews
The handle is sturdy enough for the intended uses. The coarse side is good for repairing a very worn or chipped edge, and the fine side is perfect for putting a good working edge on any knife or edged tool. Please note that diamond sharpeners remove metal fast -- use this item carefully and stop frequently to check your progress, particularly on non-stainless steels. The butterfly handle is a wonderful feature, protecting the sharpening surfaces from dirt and damage and making the tool compact and easy to include in a toolbox.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, be patient, November 27, 2010
I fish inshore and offshore frequently and need to clean fish of all sizes - and need a razor sharp knife. I tried regular stones, steels and electric sharpeners before buying this Diafold Sharpener.

At first I didn't like it because it was a little tricky to get the right technique on the blade. I got good results, but couldn't get it to give me the right edge for about 2 weeks. Be patient and try different angles, pressures and motions between the knife and Diafold.

I found that if you hold the Diafold and knife at a 45 degree angle (make an X) and then use a circular motion with your knife, it gets the best results. It just takes time to learn the feel of this tool.

Be patient, it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars It would probably sharpen your teeth, May 27, 2009
Bought this item for use on carbide blades for my table saw. It's almost too thick for that job so you may want to look for something thinner. Sharpening knives and plane blades is another story, 30 seconds and you're done. The whole thing is really handy, no oil, no mess. When you're done, fold it up and throw it back in the drawer. Nice.

DMT FWFC  Double Sided Diafold Sharpener Fine / Coarse
DMT FWFC Double Sided Diafold Sharpener Fine / Coarse by DMT (Diamond Machining Technology)
$41.85 $29.55