Dolphin Deluxe 4 (`new features for 2011') Robot Pool Cleaner by Maytronics.

Published on July 8, 2011 by Biotexts2

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed..
Published on October 7, 2012 by WILLIAM WOOD

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Robotic Cleaner - with some design and operational issues, July 8, 2011
Biotexts2 (Wilmington DE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
Dolphin Deluxe 4 (`new features for 2011') Robot Pool Cleaner by Maytronics.

I purchased this unit from the local pool store in May 2011 for $999 to replace a 7 year old Aquavac Excalibur Pool Cleaning robot that looks very similar (updated now as a Tiger Shark by Hayward). My old Excalibur had the motor replaced once and the cord fittings twice but quit again and I was unwilling to spend more money on it. The Dolphin Unit is as pictured under this listing, although the manufacturer sells various versions under this brand. This unit is apparently called the MCC6 overseas and the Deluxe-4 in the USA.

My Dolphin unit has the following modifications labeled in a sticker on the box as `new for 2011': an `all surface climbing brush', a `patented swivel' to help prevent power cable tangling, and a Digital power supply with weekly timer and full bag indicator. We have used the unit about 6 times now and in some respects it is superior to our old Excalibur, being faster, more effective and more thorough at cleaning our in ground 20 by 40 ft. concrete pool, and in getting up and around the sunken step areas. The housing of this unit seems much more rugged than the Excalibur. Still, there are a few things I don't like about the unit and you will have to decide if these are major deals for you.

First, right out of the box, the instructions are very inadequate for a unit labeled as a US model and from a Georgia company. The 21 page booklet uses pictographs for assembly, maintenance and operation, with only one line instructions under each drawing, a bunch of arrows, and repeated in 6 languages. They take 3 pages on caddy assembly, and 6 pages on setup at first use. There should be more info on regular use. I couldn't even figure out how to turn the unit on! Tip - push in the on button for 5 seconds or until all the blue lights stop blinking, and then the robot will start moving. The instructions do not refer to the new climbing brush, but instead to 3 other types of brushes. It does not explain how to adjust handle floats to keep the cord from tangling (the swivel doesn't fully prevent this). And it is very limited on describing the care and maintenance that may keep this unit functioning for years. I can't speak for this unit's durability at this point, but be prepared for a different experience with the cloth bag if you are used to spraying cartridge filters clean. Cleaning out the large, heavy cotton bag with this Dolphin cleaner when it is filled with junk from your pool is like nothing so much as cleaning out a large cloth diaper. Tip - sozzle it out in a bucket of water instead of cleaning under a hose stream).

Two other problems: the cord coils up in the water (swivel doesn't prevent; cord very stiff) and the flaps on the bottom of the unit can be lodged open with the slightest debris picked up, so that if you are too slow when you remove the cleaner from the water, the dirt and junk it has collected drain out in the pool. Tip - turn the unit upside down before you remove it from the pool water). The caddy is a nice addition we didn't have before, but it feels flimsy and I'm not sure how long it will last before breaking. Maytronic's customer service is OK - they helped me with a few operational questions and claimed to have a better instruction sheet for this model, but then sent me the same small booklet I already had.

The unit has the ability to stay in your pool for a couple weeks and settings to have it come on periodically to clean, but that much immersion would probably be very hard on the unit, so it seems a curious feature that I would rather not have paid extra for. If you can get this unit on sale or with a good rebate, it is probably as good as anything else in its price range. I'll be curious to see how long it lasts. Replacing the motor on the old Excalibur cost over $400 and took weeks in the pool shop. I hope any problems with this Dolphin will occur during the warranty period.

**FALL UPDATE** We used our Dolphin through the summer. The cord is now more flexible and snarls up less. But now that leaves are falling in the pool, we wanted to report that this cleaner is not good in getting up leaves on the bottom of our pool. We net leaves and use a leaf vacuum to supplement regular use of the Dolphin. The design of this robotic cleaner draws all items through small hinged ports on the bottom of the cleaner, and 'it doesn't do leaves' very well. The Hayward Tiger Shark was superior in this respect.

**TWO YEAR UPDATE** This unit has worked well during our swimming season. However, at the 2 year point, I left the caddy and unit sitting out in heavy rain. I tried to run the unit right after and the power supply started smoking! Apparently, exposure to the rain fried this unit. I took it back to the pool store and was glad to find it was still under warranty, because otherwise a new power supply would cost $200. I would advise to keep the power unit dry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved my Dolphin & it really took a lot of abuse!, May 25, 2011
Scully0007 "K. Holmes" (Kingsville, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
I purchased a Dolphin and used and abused it for 6 summers. That thing took a licken and kept on tickin. We bought a house with a large, 35,000 gallon, 10-foot deep, 25 x 50 foot gunnite pool and had no idea what we were doing. The first summer we had two problems, 1) we needed to have water trucked in to open it since we have well water and 2, we needed to figure out how to get all that gunk off the cover. To make a long story short all the gunk ended up IN our pool which turned forrest green. It was so nasty the pool guy wouldn't even put his hand in it because he was afraid of snakes. That week I purchased a Dolphin to help us out. We tossed it in, not having a clue how deep the pool was or what the heck was in that water. The pool was so bad that every 12-hours I cleaned and reset the Dolphin and backwashed my pool filter. This went on for almost 3-weeks so my robot got more use in it's first two weeks than most get in an entire summer. I didn't have any trouble using it or cleaning out the bags which were totally nasty with leaves and dead small animals. Once we got the pool clean the Dolphin saw normal use the rest of the summer. Once we could see the bottom I could see that it sometimes missed areas but my pool is larger than the recommended size for this unit.

This situation repeated itself to a lesser extent the next summer and the Dolphin saved us once again. I did try to vaccumm my pool the old fashioned way once but that didn't work out very well. While it was still under warrenty we had some type of problem with the motor but it was replaced under warrenty without incident. We don't actually use our pool often so almost all summer the Dolphin caddy sat on the side of the pool (in the sun) with the Dolphin either in it or in the pool. It held up pretty well considering how we've treated it!

After 6-summers of HARD use I'm sad to say that the Dolphin died at the end of last summer so I'm shopping for a replacement now. On all of the reviews I've read people complain about constantly replacing parts on their other machines. We never had to replace anything on our Dolphin other than the motor issue. But like I said, we really abused this thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremly happy with my Dolphin Delux 4, November 28, 2013
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
I have the Dolphin Delux 4 and love it. My pool is 16 x 32 an it cleans every inch of it including the sides. No it does not climb stairs but there is not one pool cleaner on the market that will say they do. Some get up there by accident and clean a bit but none are designed to clean steps or tanning shelves.
It seems to me that many of the negative reviews by people are those who purchased it for something other than what it was intended for. Any and all pool cleaners are there to assist YOU in keeping your pool clean, they are not the end all solution. I have had kreepy Krauly's, Hayward XL's and now my Dolphin and so far the dolphin wins hands down. I live in Palm springs CA and use my Dolphin year round. Yes the bag cleaning can be a bit cumbersome but if you run it through your washing machine every 4-6 cleanings it extends the time between bag celanings under normal use. I now brush my walls once a month rather than once a week so I would buy it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Impressed.., October 7, 2012
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
When I purchased my home several years ago, the previous owners left me their older model Aquabot Pool Vacuum to clean the pool. This machine worked great. It efficiently cleaned leaves and debris from the bottom and kept the pool walls spotless. My only complaint with this machine is that it would occasionally get caught on the main drain and couldn't disengage from it. After it finally went to AquaBot Heaven, I purchased a Dolphin.

The Dolphin was highly recommended by our local pool supply store. After anxiously installing this machine and expecting it to surpass my old Aquabot, I was sorely disappointed. The Dolphin works on a timer and it seems that everytime I went out to check the pool, it was still dirty and the Dolphin was taking a break. In addition the cord would relentlessly get tangled and limit the travel of the machine. After I'd spend several minutes untangling the cord and getting the Dolphin going again, I'd leave, only to come back later to repeat the same scenario over and over again. Whenever it worked, it would crawl up the side of the pool in one of several spots it constantly cleaned, and would stay there for hours.

I can't recommend any brand or model of pool cleaner over another at this time, but my old Aquabot worked very well. In fact, it exceeded my expectations. Too bad that model is no longer available. It's very possible that I bought a lemon, but I wouldn't recommend the Dolphin brand to anyone unless you have a burning desire to flush good money down the toilet.

Please rate this review if you found it helpful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just hope it don't break down, June 19, 2014
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
I did like my Dolphin for the first two years. It worked fine. But then it stopped moving after a minute or two. I did my own troubleshooting and found the circuit board inside the cleaner motor compartment had failed. I still had a good drive motor and a good pump motor but Dolphin will not sell just the circuit board. You have to buy the complete motor compartment with the two motors and the circuit board for almost $500.00 plus shipping. Also add bench fee $50.00 and shipping both ways if your going to have them or another service center do it. The units are throw aways once a circuit board or motor dies. Don't think this is right, they just want you to buy another one every three years.

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend, June 4, 2014
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
Short on convenience, start time can only be set manually. Clean filter light can only be reset manually and only while the unit is running and it comes on seemingly at random whether the filter is dirty or not. Only runs for 7 days and then shuts down. Heavy to lift out of the pool and constant filter cleaning and replacement is a pain. The umbilical cord is constantly getting itself twisted up. The pool may or may not get clean depending on what filter bag you have. Some filters allow much of the dirt to pass right though. When everything is working properly it does a good job cleaning the pool but it takes a lot of time to keep it that way. It's a lot of money for something that requires so much time and effort to keep it operating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dolphin is a Mixed Bag, August 30, 2011
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
I rather like my Dolphin, but when it comes to pool cleaning there is no "free lunch." It does a real good job of cleaning the main pool, but does not clean the steps or love seat hardly at all. I have the regular bag, and the spring cleaning (mesh) bag, which is useful after storms when there is more trash in the pool. Still, it will not handle large quantities of leaves. It is awkward to use in many ways: the regular bag is hard to get in; it is big/heavy to get in/out of the pool; the cord has to be unwound/wound; if you pull it out of the pool slowly trash runs back in, so you need to pull it out fast which is very hard/heavy; the bag sometimes comes out as a muddy mess and is hard to clean (best to let it dry then shake/beat the dust out). The motor failed not long after I got it, and the factory wanted me to ship it back, but my local pool store got a motor and fixed it, which was great because shipping it would be a real pain. Overall, it is not any better than my Hayward Pool Vac (and all the mud goes into my sand filter and out the backwash). Again, I rather like my Dolphin, but don't think it is going to make life easy (like I did).

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk that is designed to fail, October 13, 2013
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
I am one of the unlucky people who bought a Dolphin pool cleaner. Alas, the motor failed and I have been waiting 6 months for Maytronics to respond to my request for parts. Their only response to date is that the motor is the most expensive part and they are behind answering their emails. Indeed. Now the warranty has expired and they don't answer at all.

The only "blessing" in disguise is that it never did clean well. Poorly balanced, it would not climb the pool walls no matter how I adjusted the flotation and it just kept going back and forth until it ended up in the deepest spot. No match for the ancient Aquabot I previously had and foolishly replaced with this piece of junk. Both are difficult to clean because they use a cloth bag that must be fitted around some wire hangers, but at least the Aquabot *cleaned*. The Dolphin does such a poor job that I always had to go around the pool with a brush and vacuum after running the Dolphin through several cycles.

Thinking of buying? DON'T. The only good part of your purchase is that by next season you'll be buying something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality and horrible customer service, June 15, 2013
M Gachi (Universal City, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
Got this units 5 years ago as a gift that sat in my garage. I started using it last summer and maybe 20 to 30 times. it broke and stopped working. Called the customer service, and there is not a lot of places that fix it. Called the closest service center in AZ. Their technician, Paul, told me it sounds like you motor is out. So I have to pay over $50 to ship, over $500 to put a new motor and another $50 to send back. And if the problem is something else, I am stuck with shipping and $40 bech fees. So basically, you are on your own. No sympathy not any offer to help. So I decided to post reviews warning all the buyer that this product is horrible and the company is worse than the product they sell.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sucked up my $1000!!, August 7, 2013
This review is from: DOLPHIN DIAGNOSTIC DL2019 InGround Pool Cleaner
So I buy this after reading a lot of great reviews. What am I missing? You have dead algae, put in the cleaner, it runs it over, sucks it up and where does it go?? There is a "mesh" bag. Where did I think it would go? Right through the bag and right back into the pool! Why doesn't this unit have a hose to go through the filter!
Maybe it is good for a little debris. If you think this will clean dead algae off the floor, hopper or walls, think again and buy one that goes through filter. I truly feel I wasted $1000!