Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

Format: HardcoverChange

on August 11, 2008
I have two children who constantly blame the other when they get into trouble. I purchased this book to reinforce taking responsibility for their own actions. My son and daughter loved the characters and illustrations. The examples are typical of children's daily interactions both at home and at school. This book is a homerun on teaching that the "he did this, she did that so I did it back"... is not acceptable.
on September 18, 2008
The cover of the delightful children's book, I Double Dare You, is perfect for building anticipation. Judy Lehman's witty cover illustration provides a subtle hint of the excitement contained within. I found myself wanting to pull back the brown bag cover to see more.

This story is truly a wonderful blend of words and illustrations that present the reader with an interesting concoction of a serious subject and laugh-out-loud humor (Just wait until you see the expression on Bucky's face when he jumps off the bridge!).

Dana Lehman has definitely created another winning book that continues the adventures of Sammy the Squirrel. With the onset of the story, Sammy is already nervous about the antics of his cousins, appropriately named Silly and Sassy. Obviously, his fears were well-founded, as the two cousins embark on an escapade that includes sword fighting and bridge jumping. Yet, by the end of this tale, all is well and everyone in Walnut Grove has learned a valuable lesson.

Lehman's story is great for school-aged children as her tale reinforces the need to take responsibility for one's own actions and, just as important, that it is okay to say NO.

For parents and teachers, I Double Dare You also provides a wonderful extension activity at the end of the story, with Lehman's inclusion of comprehension questions as a follow-up.

I look forward to the next animal adventure in Walnut Grove.
on May 3, 2008
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Even more than the first. The story is fresh, the moral is relevant for today & the pictures jump out at you! What a wonderful lesson on daring others. Again - needs to be read in every class room, on every library shelf, and needs to be read by parents & children alike!
on October 15, 2008
This is an excellent book for children. Teaches them the lessons they will use the most in life teaching them right from wrong by making wise choices and taking responsibility for their own actions. My daughter, Stephanie, reads this book to the children she babysits for and they just love it. They want her to read it over and over again. The story line is wonderful for children as well as the beautiful illustrations.
on April 8, 2009
This book is a must for all parents to share with their children. The message it gives to the kids is priceless. The story is beautifully written and the kids love the animals which makes it very easy for them to understand the message. I also love the addition of the questions in the back of the book. It really helps to get the kids involved in the story.
on November 19, 2009
Ms. Lehman's wonderful story centered around Sammy, a loveable squirrel with raccoon eyes, and his rambunctious counsins, Silly and Sassy, teaches kids an all-important lesson about safety and owning up to mistakes. This endearing story illustrates for children why it isn't wise to put their safety in danger, especially when responding to peer pressure. In this ever more complicated world in which children too often feel the pressure to grow up before their time, the value in learning this lesson cannot be overstated. But what I love most about "I Double Dare You" is that it goes even beyond that central lesson and shows children that when they do make a mistake in judgment, even if goaded into doing so by friends, they should own up to it and not look to lay the blame on others. This is a fun book that delivers a great message. What more can you ask for in a children's book? Bravo, Ms. Lehman, for a story well told! I can't wait to see what she comes up with next!
on March 11, 2009
I double dare you is the second book in a series about Walnut Grove.
Sammy the squirrel's cousins, Silly and Sassy are visiting. They are
always getting into trouble and daring each other to do things.
This is a wonderful story that teaches children about taking responsibility of their own actions.

At the back of the book are comprehension questions which encourages children to think more deeply about the lessons inside. The author ends the book with a page of thoughts which encourages children to make the right choose between right and wrong. The book also encourages children to say no

The full color illustrations by Judy Lehman are full of intricate details, the animals depicted have a full range of expressive features that nicely complement the writings of Dana Lehman.

I recommend this book to teachers, parents and libraries.
on July 29, 2010
How to make wise decisions should be taught early in life and not when a child has grown into a teenager. This book is an excellent learning tool for anyone who loves a child. We can't always keep them in our sight and one day we need to let go. Knowing we've taught them how to make smart choices is a comfort as we see them walk away from us down that path of independence. Bucky's experience will remain with a child as they go through their younger years and into adulthood. A wonderful positive way to teach life's gentle lessons.
on December 22, 2012
Sammy the squirrel was all excited that his cousins Silly and Sassy were coming for a visit to Walnut Grove. He remembered they could be a little mischievous but hopefully they would not cause any trouble.

When Silly and Sassy arrived Sammy introduced them to his friends and then they all started playing games. Sure enough right off the bat Silly and Sassy were playing around and one of them got hurt. They admitted that they knew they should not have been playing a game that could possibly cause harm to someone. Sassy admitted that Silly dared her. Then she apologized for hurting Silly and they were off to play another game.

As Bucky and Silly took off together Silly decided to not only dare Bucky the beaver to do something Bucky knew he should not do, Silly double dared Bucky. Bucky took the double dare and it put him in great danger.

If you would like to find out just what it was that Silly dared Bucky to do, grab a copy of the book and find out all the trouble Silly and Sassy caused at Walnut Grove.

What would you do if someone double dared you to do something that you knew you should not do?

In this story the author teaches children to go with their own instincts when choosing between right and wrong. She also emphasizes to never dare anyone to do something the other person is uncomfortable doing.

I have now read the first two books in the series and they both teach good values.

The illustrations will stir the imagination while reading about the characters as they play games and yes get themselves into some bad situations.

I highly recommend this book.

Disclosure
I received a free copy of this book from Lehman Publishing for review. I was in no way compensated for this review. It is my own opinion.
on June 19, 2011
Silly and Sassy head to Walnut Grove Resort to spend a week vacationing with their cousin, Sammy. Sammy knows that he has to watch out for his cousins, as they're always getting in trouble. However, despite his best efforts, Sammy isn't able to keep the pair out of trouble and it takes a big adventure for Silly and Sassy to learn the lesson that they have to take responsibility for their own actions and not just try and please their friends (or others), especially if they know that they're about to do something that could be considered "wrong."

After number behavior issues have popped up in my Head Start classroom, I just knew I had to share this book with my students after having read it on my own. I got mixed reactions when I read it. Of 16 children, I would say about half sat contentedly and listened. The other half behaved in a typical manner, unable to sit for a story of any length. It's not unexpected, at least in my room! The children who were engaged were VERY engaged and responded appropriately throughout, including making appropriate predictions! From my conversation and interaction with the children, I would say they definitely were able to understand the message shared... and I'm hoping that it will sink in, as many of those who were engaged are also my "behaviors," who could certainly benefit from the message given! We'll have to see how things go, but I'm thinking with a few reminders of the characters and the message, they just might catch on!

It's also easy to see why I DOUBLE Dare You! is the recipient of the Mom's Choice Award - any mother would want their child to understand the importance of the message relayed in this wonderfully written and illustrated book! I'm so glad to have been informally introduced to the author through a cousin!