Customer Discussions > Spore - PC/Mac forum

DRM Free games - these people know how to treat their customers!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 22, 2008 6:37:53 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/cd-projekt-publishers-scared-to-go-drm-free

Michal Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt knows how to fight piracy. Make games great value! There's hope!

Posted on Jun 22, 2009 8:31:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2009 8:45:22 AM PDT
M. Bell says:
Kick the habit - go DRM free!!
Opinion from a systems engineer: It's one thing to introduce basic control mechanisms in software, such as requiring complex 'proof of purchase' codes, etc., but introducing active agents in an attempt to control copyright is a violation of consumer protection laws and citizen's rights to only have the product they have purchased installed on their system. Were our government not so lazy, awaiting private consumers to bring the action, they would follow the EU in pursuit of clean software packaging. I have contested every DRM based game purchase, based on the basic premise that I did not agree to the install of the DRM agent, and received a refund. The premise is simple - DRM is not advertised on the box (vendor's don't want to place a warning on boxes because it will scare off consumers - see something wrong with this thinking?), and it performs actions on my system that I did not authorize and are not necessary to game play. I buy my games, but now use more console games than PC games because I can't stand the bugs that DRM brings to my systems. I have even downloaded hacked copies of games I own, usually out of frustration, just to get rid of the DRM or disk requirement.

There are an enormous number of legitimate problems associated with DRM malicious code. DRM is system limiting by its very design and putting it on your system should be illegal, or at a minimum you should have a warning banner on the game with a list of potential side effects (like a drug warning label) and a system check should warn of potential problems and incompatible applications during install - consumers have a right to know. Consider this - a game consumer spends $40 on a game with additional malicious code (DRM) they did not buy, and the hacker strips out the code and shares it with consumers who paid nothing for the game -
1) Loyal consumer = DRM ridden machine (almost always with performance impact)
2) Hacked game user = game with no DRM or problems
...how is the consumer who is paying for the game getting any value in this arrangement?

The bottom line is that when we download an application or visit a website and it does something we don't want, meaning without our permission, we call it a virus/trojan/worm/popup/whatever (aka malicious code) and outraged consumers look for a solution to stop it, but when vendors push the same software onto our systems we are expected to just accept it as part of the requirements to play the game we paid good money for. Consumers have rights and the industry either needs to end DRM (aka crippleware), or post a warning banner on the games (with potential complications reviewed/verified by Microsoft, Intel, AMD, etc.) and if sales plummet than that is the edict of supply & demand.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2009 8:56:01 AM PDT
Paul Tinsley says:
I agree with you. I think that corporations are too powerful these days and assume tremendous freedom reinventing and creating draconian laws and EULAs, curbing ethics, even altering our very culture. As the government seems powerless to protect consumers, our only defense is information. We have to make sure that we keep each other informed of the ulterior motives of these big companies and then consumer pressure will inevitably win.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011 2:53:51 PM PDT
L. Freese says:
Don't despair I A.K.A. Soulcommander fought against DRM Starforce back in 2005-6. Since that time we now have many options that are not perfect but are better than we had before.
Stardock puts out DRM free games.
GOG.Com and Steam is another option.
Although I am not a big Steam supporter at least it is another option for some games.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:46:20 AM PDT
Uncle Joe says:
STEAM itself is DRM. What are you talking about?

Posted on May 13, 2012 4:35:37 AM PDT
L. Freese says:
Steam is a minimal DRM yes, I never said it wasn't I said it is another option....many can live with Steam. I for one am not a fan of Steam or any DRM. But many feel Steam is something they can deal with, the user is required to have started Steam while connected to the Internet for authentication prior to playing a game, or have previously set up Steam in an "offline" mode while connected online, storing their credentials locally to play without an Internet connection. Less intrusive than other DRM's.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:53:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 11:02:28 PM PDT
Steam is that annoying fratboy who brings you alcohol, but wants to hang out and drunkenly kiss you every now and then. Plus he says funny things from time to time, and isn't really a douchebag at heart.

SecuROM and StarForce are the strung-out-on-meth child rapists trolling with bloodstained marital aids that just want to love you from the inside out... before they get hungry.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Spore - PC/Mac forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Sep 22, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Spore - PC/Mac
Spore - PC/Mac by Electronic Arts (Mac, Windows Vista / XP)
1.6 out of 5 stars   (3,330)