Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 134 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2009 9:31:58 PM PDT
C. O'Niell says:
Has anyone heard if Crysis 2 will have DRM?

Posted on Oct 4, 2009 4:24:25 PM PDT
Rob T. says:
It's EA so it probably will have Securom DRM. However, EA now has that thing where you can get back install activations if you uninstall - and the DRM shouldn't really slow down your computer unless you have less than 1 Ghz processor and 512 mb RAM in which case you might want to consider upgrading

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 5:35:00 PM PDT
Wolvenmoon says:
Rob T, it isn't that it's going to slow down a computer, it's that you have to uninstall the game - whereas in most cases when I have to reinstall it's because I lost my OS.

I also tend to have upwards of 300+ pieces of software installed on my computer at any one time. If I had to uninstall, then reinstall all of my games with the threat of having to make 300 phone calls if I didn't, I'd likely go postal.

So it's about the principle behind it, not the DRM itself. DRM targets pirate versions. Pirate versions don't have DRM. DRM is meant to target thieves, but DRM can only see legitimate customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2010 10:28:53 PM PST
John Lemon says:
You realize that after the game has been out for a couple years they change it to unlimited installs. It is very unlikely that someone would run out of installs using it legally. Pirating by torrent isn't that big of a deal. It takes days to download, doesn't allow online play, and many times has bugs in it from the crack. Most people would perfer to just buy it or that hassle of that. But someone giving it to a friend to install as they keep it installed on there computer is the main form of stealing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2010 4:28:40 PM PST
H. Le says:
Starting with The Sims 3, EA is moving away from SecuROM with mandatory online and limited activation to a more acceptable version of disc check type DRM *without* online and limited activation for Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. It is too early to tell, but it is probable that Crysis 2 will also have disc check type DRM.

At any rate, it is always good to see informed Customers inquiring about the game's DRM before buying.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2010 8:10:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2010 8:11:25 AM PDT
J. Lau says:
I'm guessing you haven't pirated much, because it doesn't take days to download a torrent (even large, multi GB ones), and usually buggy cracks are fixed pretty quickly.

I don't know what kind of DRM Battlefield Bad Company 2 has, but it allows either for a disc check or online; if you choose the online activation, you can install it on up to 10 systems simultaneously.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2010 4:35:47 PM PDT
H. Le says:
BF:BC2 uses SecuROM. Yes, Customers can choose between traditional disc check where the disc is required to be in the drive to play, or the 10-activation limits where the the disc is not required to be in the drive to play -- I opted for the traditional disc check. Overall, a good move by EA that I can accept. If Crysis 2 uses the same DRM, I'm in.

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 1:15:02 PM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
SCM states that after a number of years the company changes the install limit to unlimited. I don't think this has ever really happened. They may give you a few more installs but I doubt if they will eliminate the limitations completely.

Posted on Apr 24, 2010 6:18:24 PM PDT
Etowahdoc says:
The disc check DRM is very acceptable. I am probably out on my own on this one, but I would love for Crysis 2 to use Steamworks, but thats HIGHLY unlikely since its an EA product. I just really enjoy games that are fully integrated through Steam, especially if they are under Steam Cloud so I don't have to manage save games through my documents. I know a lot of PC gamers really don't care for Steam and in some ways I can definitely understand that.

I wish Ubisoft had used either disc check DRM or Steamworks for Assassins Creed II and Splinter Cell Conviction instead of that damn Always Online server-check crap.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2010 6:06:22 PM PDT
I complained about Steam but I have since realized whether intentionally or as an inadvertant result of the way Steam works it is now very simple to wipe my system or build a new one and have my games back up in relatively short order. Install a new Steam client then copy the entire old Steam directory containing all your previously installed games over the top of the new one. Once you get your saved game directories copied over as well for those games that have their saves outside the Steam directory you are good to go.

There are a few games that EA does on Steam. They may be older but I think they will come around with newer titles.

And speaking of Ubisoft. Unless they remove that stupid always connected requirement I will NEVER, EVER buy another product of theirs. I had 2 copies of Assassins Creed II on order and I cancelled them both when I found that out. I want the new Sub sim as well but... If more companies jump on that bandwagon then my gaming days will be coming to an end. To vote with your wallet is the only power we consumers have, the only thing that will get their attention because the Game magazines are not going to jeopordize their cushy relations with the various publishers by making a stink about it so it is left up to us. There will always be those that will put up with anything just so they don't get deprived of their gaming fix and they are the ones that ruin it for the rest of us.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2010 8:27:08 AM PDT
BF:BC2 uses SecuROM. Yes, Customers can choose between traditional disc check where the disc is required to be in the drive to play, or the 10-activation limits where the the disc is not required to be in the drive to play -- I opted for the traditional disc check. Overall, a good move by EA that I can accept. If Crysis 2 uses the same DRM, I'm in.

You're right about that. I haven't bought an EA game since 2007 because of their poor customer service and the subsequent DRM mess. If they take the route you're talking about I might be back as well opting for the traditional disk check.

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 12:08:07 AM PDT
I'm glad that EA is moving in the right direction with a choice of either disc-check (which has been a standard for games long before all the DRM hassles we've been having) or no-disc in the drive in exchange for a handsome 10 activations. I find this to be a whole lot more fair than what we have been getting. So long as when you opt for disc-check only, it does not install Securom. I would believe the game should not.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 7:32:45 AM PDT
J. Schwarz says:
If Crysis has GFWL or DRM or limited installs I will definitely not buy it. There is no guarantee with anything that EA does and personally I don't trust the company. As for them ever getting rid of DRM after a few years it will never happen. I'm still waiting for DRM to be removed from Bioshock which I never played and will probably never play. If they want my money, they have to please me, not the other way around. I still have loads of games I never played that I'm playing now. I am sure many of you have the same. I just finished playing Call of Duty and Call of Duty 2. What great games they made in the past. I am looking forward to some new games and will purchase them if they don't give me too much of a hassle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 9:00:43 AM PDT
Those are my sentiments exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 7:09:59 PM PST
Weston says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 29, 2010 5:36:56 AM PST
Sam Beckett says:
Will this have a steam key ?

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 7:12:04 PM PST
Casey12141 says:
I don't even know why they bother with the DRM, pirates still pirate. All SecuRom does is make the crackers work a few extra days to bypass it, and piss off legitimate customers. Disk check isn't bad though, I agree with that. I just don't get the whole limited installation thing. I don't know about a lot of you other guys, but when I am looking to buy a game and I see that, I just go straight to Piratebay lol

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 7:43:57 PM PST
Etowahdoc says:
I really liked the Disc-check DRM with Mass Effect 2. Hopefully they will go with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2011 2:08:32 PM PST
H. Le says:
Dead Space 2 is using SolidShield DRM with 5 limited online activation. Although EA is playing mute and deaf, chances are Crysis 2 may also use the same DRM scheme.

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 3:17:48 PM PST
M. Masten says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 12:16:24 PM PST
H. Le says:
M. Masten,

If DRM does not really effect anyone - neither pirates nor Customers - then 'why' ? Why do publishers hold on to a DRM scheme after it is already cracked ?

Legitimate Customers are not entitled to everything, but they are certainly entitled to questioning questionable DRM schemes.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 5:21:44 PM PST
NeoTristan says:
H. Le

I couldn't agree more. We've all heard so many variation of why DRM is necessary from the publishers.
Funny they don't bother patch it out even long after 'preventing 0 day crack', which they fail most of the time anyway.

EA is like a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; we have the type of draconian DRM of 'Spore', 'Mass Effect', 'Dead Space 2' and user-friendly DRM of 'Dragon Age: Origins', 'The Sims 3', 'Battlefield Bad Company 2'.

I honestly can't fathom why they are alternating their DRM tactics one after another instead of going consistent or not at all.

By the way, it's been unofficially confirmed, by bunch of pirates no less, that Crysis 2 will utilize SolidShield like Dead Space 2, because the final beta build has just been leaked with SolidShield already cracked, they claim.

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 6:02:55 PM PST
NeoTristan says:
H. Le

http://gamerant.com/crysis-2-gameplay-video-leaked-dyce-66973/

Posted on Feb 18, 2011 11:26:58 AM PST
"The fact is most people use windows which has limited installs too so there arguments are kind of hypocritical unless they stop using windows and switch to linux."

False: Windows doesn't have limited installs, you just have to call an automated number to keep activating it. (obviously within reason)

Also Crysis 2 is on Steam, as are all the previous ones in the series, however they do not use steamworks so don't count on being able to activate a retail version on Steam.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 6:30:23 PM PST
derwin75 says:
Go ahead and buy Bioshock game. You don't have to worry about DRM now. Enjoy :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Crysis 2 - PC forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  134
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Crysis 2 - PC
Crysis 2 - PC by Electronic Arts (Windows Vista / XP)
3.6 out of 5 stars   (399)