Customer Discussions > Fable 3 forum

DRM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 23, 2010 8:30:56 PM PDT
Jason Axley says:
Anyone know what sort of DRM this game has? I have looked the page over but dont see it. I know the logical idea would be to check elsewhere for it but I am on a very limited internet connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 1:26:16 PM PDT
H. Le says:
Nothing concrete that I know of yet; however, it is likely that GFWL (Games For Windows Live - as shown in picture) itself will come with limited activation (similar to Bioshock 2), but you will not need to activate it online. There may be addtional disc check DRM as well, but again, it is too early to know for sure. I will report back if I know anything.

Posted on Aug 24, 2010 10:16:11 PM PDT
Jason Axley says:
Awesome, I appreciate it. Disc checking and activation are not that big a deal to me, but the always on connection (splinter cell, assassins creed) dont work when your in afghanistan. Neither does SC2 really when you have to activate it online and they require you to download a patch before you can even play it. Thanks for the info though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 4:02:13 AM PDT
cybertext says:
They gotta keep the hackers from mass producing it, but yeah when software protection software goes bad...it kills anything it comes in contact with. Spore for example. Massive failure fiasco. Initally you could only install it once. Then you had to throw it away. They bumped it up to (3) times. Last I heard they were being sued and you could install/uninstall it up to 5 times on the same computer before it made you toss it in the trash and buy another copy. OMFG! EA/DRM/Spore = evil

Posted on Oct 26, 2010 6:50:08 AM PDT
It will use SSA (Server-Side Authentication), which means it has NO activation limit. Once activated, it's tied to your account (Gamertag) and you can activate it an unlimited number of times.

It will also use ZDPP (Zero-Day Piracy Protecion), which means it can't be played before the actual release date.

Just like past Microsoft Game Studios titles (Halo 2, Viva Piñata, etc), it won't have a disc check once the game has been activated.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2010 11:24:58 AM PDT
D. McMillan says:
they should quit trying so hard to make them unhackable anyways because no matter what they do it seems like hackers always find a way around it and release it on the internet soon after it comes out. I wish they didnt because that is hurting the videogame industry but they wont listen to anyone im sure anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 4:03:11 PM PST
Mr. T. P. says:
So will I be able to play and install the game without an internet connection?

Posted on Dec 13, 2010 1:46:55 PM PST
J. Schwarz says:
If Steam is anywhere near this game I will not buy it. And if it has limited installs, likewise.

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 10:31:47 AM PST
salad10203 says:
GFWL no longer exists, it is simply a market where you buy the game now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 2:57:34 PM PST
D. Blizzard says:
Actually, that is not entirely accurate. GFWL still exists with Games for Windows and it's marketplace. Now it is similar to Steam, complete with achievements for games that support them, which few do. The Live moniker is still around as of November 2010 (Carneyvale Showtime is the most recent release on the Marketplace which uses Live), but I'm not sure which upcoming games use it aside from Fable 3.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 3:34:21 AM PDT
cybertext says:
StarCraft II, you "have" to have the internet connection or your stuff expires, and you can't play anymore. That and no LAN, and no spawn = epic fail!
Hackers ruin games, but greedy companies ruin games too.

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 9:44:52 AM PDT
Logan Nowak says:
I'm going to summarize it for everyone.

No activation limits
Tied to one Gamertag
Activation is not required, except for online play and achievements
No official word on ZDPP yet

Blizzard, if you don't mind I would like to elaborate a little more. GFWL and the marketplace are two different things. GFWL didn't change at all, it still operates the same and supports achievements, multiplayer and friends as it always has. The marketplace is what was added, but it basically a rebranding of Games on Demand. The marketplace is what is simalar to Steam, as in you can buy games there and download them as much as you want later.

If anyone wants a list of LIVE games, there is one on Wikipedia.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 10:23:27 AM PDT
Mr. T. P. says:
"No activation limits
Tied to one Gamertag
Activation is not required, except for online play and achievements
No official word on ZDPP yet"

You're talking about Fable III here? Well, that sounds acceptable to me. I'm not quite sure what one of these "gamertags" is, though, since I don't play many big commercial PC games.

Posted on May 14, 2011 3:50:40 PM PDT
Logan Nowak says:
Gamertag = Account

It ties to an account, so you can only play online with that one. You can still play offline with other, though.

Posted on May 15, 2011 9:49:04 AM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
GFWL itself is not DRM since you can just use an offline profile. That is why I am one of the 3 people on the planet that prefers GFWL to Steam.

That said a few months ago they started this "zero day piracy prevention" crap which does force an activation on some GFWL if the publisher requests it, which is lame. I hope Fable 3 does not use this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 1:12:25 PM PDT
Xeyska says:
@Catherine - There is a GFWL activation for Fable 3, and I'm having trouble trying to get past it. I knew I shouldn't of bought it with GFWL on the cover. -_-

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 1:54:56 PM PDT
Mr. T. P. says:
@Xeyska: How do you mean?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 2:26:54 PM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
@ Xeyska - That's a shame. Dead Rising 2 and Bulletstorm used the new activation system as well but I hoped it wouldn't become common. Guess it has. How pointless.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 4:42:34 PM PDT
Xeyska says:
@Mr. T. P. - I got everything installed, and whenever the launcher starts it says "Games for Windows - LIVE must verify the release date of your game. Please make sure your computer is connected to the internet. Etc."

The time for the check is already passed, but it refuses to start the game. -_-

Posted on May 17, 2011 5:05:54 PM PDT
M. MacMahon says:
Are you in Europe? It doesn't come out in Europe until Friday. If not maybe it thinks you are in Europe for some reason?

I can't check myself, I didn't hear UPS knock so I don't get the game until tomorrow.

Posted on May 17, 2011 6:01:20 PM PDT
Xeyska says:
I'm in the US. I think I'll wait a bit to see if there will be a fix for this problem. =/
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fable 3 forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2010
Latest post:  May 17, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fable 3
Fable 3 by Microsoft (Windows)
2.9 out of 5 stars   (100)