on July 27, 2014
This camera is really good at everything. For someone whom is really good at taking photos it makes you really great; for someone who is bad at taking photos it can make you good. It is expensive, but it is worth the price.

Pros-
Easy of use, low light capabilities, WIFI and NFC, resolution, viewfinder, display, flash, and almost everything!

Cons-
The camera is a little heavy (but just for a point and shoot), price (but worth it), it is a little big for a point and shoot (but again it takes pictures like a high end camera)

For me this camera is the best of both worlds. It takes high end pictures in a point and shoot size. The greatest thing about this camera is that I do not have to ever connect it to anything. I have a spare battery and a cradle charger, so no plugging it in to charge. I have the NFC and WIFI setup so that I can wirelessly send pictures to any of my computers or phones, so no connecting to transfer photos. That in itself makes the premium price very worthwhile for me.
on October 23, 2014
The camera is amazing.

The package, while essentially containing free stuff as it was the same price as the camera alone, does leave a little bit to be desired:

The case does not fit the camera. You have to cut out the middle partition to get it to fit, which was pretty easy to do and results in a case that fits nicely, but still an oversight. Even the image on the card for the case shows a much smaller camera without a protruding lens.

The SLR hand grip is clearly for larger SLR cameras and is useless for this camera. Whatever, I gave it away.

The memory card is the best part, because you need one, and this one is pretty big.

The memory card wallet seems unnecessary, but it's not a bad product.

The little tripod is actually decent for what you pay (basically nothing).

The two cables are short, but they work.

The extra battery will be handy, but I haven't tried it. I'm assuming the car charger works, but I'd prefer a charger that plugs into the wall. (EDIT: turns out it's both a wall and car charger. So yay!)

The little package of screen protectors, lens cleaner, microfibre cloth, and q-tips will probably come in handy as I didn't buy a screen protector for the camera. You will definitely want one as you can't turn the screen inward, so it's always exposed. You have to cut the screen protectors to size though. They aren't made for the camera specifically.

The separate lens cleaning pen seems all right, but I could probably just as easily clean it with the microfibre cloth.

And finally I haven't tried to use the "high speed" memory card reader, but it is cool that they included it, since it takes multiple types of memory cards, including the one in the package.
on August 3, 2014
I've only had the camera a week or so but definitely enjoying it. I did want to let people know that while the description does not list all the items, I received everything pictured - the tripod, HDMI cable, card reader, etc.

As far as the camera - it is pretty easy to learn the basics although the manual leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not sure how to get the Wifi feature to work or how to use a lot of the other options. The manual includes enough to get you started but that's about it. I'll be going online to try and find more.

I have a DSLR and do miss the zoom capability when using this camera. The 70mm just doesn't do much, even less than I was expecting so it was a bit difficult to adjust to. But the small size makes up for it for me as I wanted something easy to carry for quick trips or when going places and lugging a 5 pound camera just doesn't sound fun. A nice feature that our son loved to use, is that when you flip the screen up 180 degrees for the selfies, it has a 3 second count down. We even used that countdown in order to take a group photo!

The picture quality appears to be as good as the ones from the DSLR however I am not a professional. Just my opinion.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase.
on September 23, 2014
I ordered this item. It arrived as promised but the camera was dead and will not turn on after changing the battery for about 4 hours. I even tried the spare battery included in the package. I returned the whole package back to Amazon. It took about total 11 days for Amazon to issue the credit (I think this is too long because they received the package back in 5 days.

Anyway, I have just placed the order on Amazon for the same camera package again and am hoping that this time the camera works.

Well, incredible, the 2nd camera package arrived yesterday (9/25) and it had the same exact problem as above. Clearly Focus Camera has a bad batch of products from Sony. It was very frustrating, although Amazon was very nice in arranging returns and promised refund in few days. I have decided to pay more and go with a local camera dealer. So unfortunate, I feel like Focus Camera should compensate me for the difference- unlikely I know.

KM
on August 17, 2014
Best point and shoot you can buy right now ... with the 1" sensor ... and the new Bionz processor .. this will give you the best quality pictures without the weight and bulk of the DSLR ... its my back up when I don't feel like lugging my DSLR around. The low light shots were fantastic ... and of course other features on the camera were great ... Down side is the cost of the camera ... it does cost about the price of a DSLR body ... but the saving grace is weight ... No regrets buying it.
on January 25, 2015
My first time buying from Focus was smooth and satisfying. The price was good, the shipping was free (over $35), but it was delivered quickly in 3 days instead of the usual 5-8 days with free ship. Camera performs well, as expected. Several of the extra "goodies" in the bundle were useful, particularly the SD card, battery/charger, carrying case, and card reader; thanks Focus.

I have not tested Focus' customer support, so I can't comment on that. But they emailed me a "thank you" note which was a nice touch. I plan on buying another camera soon and will again order from Focus. Pleased so far.
on February 1, 2015
I purchased this camera because I did not want to lug around a big DSLR. By far the best camera on the market today for its class. Unless you have a $1500+ lens, this camera will keep up with any DSLR. And even then I would rather carry this one. Amazing!
on January 17, 2015
Alright, first, I'll start off with saying that for a $700-800 camera, it can do better despite the hype and praise people have about it. The camera has some MAJOR/minor flaws depending on how you want to look at it (Major flaws for me). The biggest flaw that is overlooked is it's ability/inability to focus. Unless I have a defective item, which doesn't seem to be the case.
A cheap camera is just as capable, if not more, to "point and shoot" than this $800 dollar item.
(Look at "Camera/Pictures/Videos" section below for more depth).

The bundle that comes with it is actually pretty nice though. Below is a little more in-depth review if you're interested. (I say $700-800 because of the bundle+tax+shipping, let's stick with $800)

The Bundle:
The extra battery+charger is nice since the camera's battery life isn't as long as you'd like despite being fully charged.
The Tripod is a bit funky but works well enough. Car chargers come w/ package too. The memory card is pretty decent.
I found the attachable hand grip to be wonky and weird, it didn't work for me, nor did it install neatly onto the camera. The little case is simple and made of a cloth material. Pretty sturdy and it does the job. There a little more items but they're not anything special.

The Camera:
(please note that my review is on the darker side since it doesn't seem that anyone's hit the downsides of this camera all at once, if you find that you can live with the shortcomings of it then by all means purchase it).

Body:
At first everything it features is gorgeous. It's pretty slick, but still a bit bulky, especially due to the lens it's equipped with. It's got quite a bit of weight to it in comparison to cheaper pocket cameras.
The design of the camera makes it a bit unwieldy. You don't really have a secure hand grip to confidently prevent that $800 camera from falling out of your hands. They do sell a hand grip add-on for the camera but it uses a sticky residue to attach itself, not really attractive, especially to the wallet for getting those add-ons.
The pop-up viewfinder(VF) and flash(FL) is awesome to look at but the shortcoming here is that the camera shuts off automatically when you put the viewfinder back into the camera, and the flash doesn't work up close.
The Screen isn't a touch, meaning battery life is longer than what it would be if it was touchscreen. It can flip upwards to face the subject being viewed(perfect for selfies). And can tilt and extend away from the base of the camera which is pretty cool but it feels delicate.

Camera/Pictures/Videos:
This is what is essential to the quality of a camera, the quality of videos and pictures and how versatile and capable it is when capturing your desired images/events. The biggest flaw of this camera is it's inability to focus on the desired subject. Another flaw, although minor, is that your pictures always feel a little far off in the distance so you may try to compensate by zooming in but this doesn't really help because you can't get the desired full picture you want.

Pictures: The quality of the pictures are great and obviously HD. But all this potential is blown out due to the camera's inability to focus on your desired subject on many occasions, resulting in a blur of your subject and a focus on something else completely. (Despite placing the object dead center, sometimes the camera will focus on the background which only shows up as 20% of the picture itself, quite frustrating). The camera also lacks the ability to simply take a nonfocused picture. What I mean by that is that it will always prioritize on a subject, the closer the subject it chooses to focus on, the more noticeable the blur. So if you wanted to take a picture of multiple people or multiple subjects, it'll focus on one distance and pretty much give blur to the rest.
Due to it's blurring effect, you can't take a decent up close picture(macro). If the camera gets too close to the subject, it'll blur completely, if you get it at the distance that it'll cooperate, you'll have to deal with it's selective focus of a subject. So even if it's just a drawing, if you angle it so that the bottom of the paper is towards you and the top is farther from you, you'll notice the blurring. You can't get quick close picture snap that's clear all around with little to no blur. The blur is there, everywhere, always. It gets irritating after a while.
The Flash: It's pretty nifty. But it does look and feel kinda flimsy, so you feel like you're holding a delicate antique sometimes, being careful not to break anything. It works well, except for the fact that when using it up close, regardless of the camera's focus distance tolerance, the lens will block some of the flash and show up as a shadow version of a rising sun in your picture (a shadow of 1/3 of a circle found in the bottom of picture). It's minor, but still a flaw nonetheless, that irked me, if not to you, that's great.
The Viewfinder: Cool to use, somewhat annoying though. The fact that the camera turns off everytime you put the viewfinder back in got irritating when you still wanted to take more pictures but it didn't allow that because of the auto shutdown via viewfinder. It feels a bit flimsy in itself, but a bit more sturdy, in construction, than the flash.

Videos: This irks me just about as much as the picture taking capabilities. All of the blur issues you had with the pictures are present here including additional issues. The videos it takes aren't great for sports, your clips will have this wavy affect that will freak your eyes out, it's not pretty to look at. It's not horrible when taking normal casual videos though. The focus prioritizing is an issue as mentioned before. Subjects you want to focus on might not get focused on as desired and instead a completely different subject will be focused on. Literally, as with the picture taking, it will seemingly avoid the subject that is dead center and focus on something off in the corner.

Features:
I won't really go into features, I'll just leave it at that the camera is loaded with options and versatility that you can look up on youtube on your own time. Their explaining will be much faster than my own, (as well as more well thought out/organized). The zooming is decent though, nothing special really from ordinary cameras.
One feature that can help remedy the blur issue is manual focusing, which is pretty helpful, but it's difficult to use as it requires two hands to operate the camera, one to use the ring on the lens to focus, and the other to stabilize and hold the camera. So if you want to do a one hand shoot, you better have the grip and dexterity like that of a octopus. Because chances are you'll drop that camera, due to it's weight and sleek design(which works against it a lot of the times, since there's nothing to grip on). You also can't change from manual to auto focus during recording your video so you have to make your decision and stick with it right before shooting.

Also, changing settings on how you want to record or take pictures can sometimes be arduous.

Well, that's my piece of experience with this camera. Like I said, it could just be that my camera is defective or I just never really figured out it's full features, both of which I doubt, --not saying I mastered it, but just saying, I haven't seen any options that help remedy the issues. Some seem like they were meant to do that job, but failed to do so. Hope this helped you make your final decision on buying this item or not.
on November 23, 2014
What a fabulous camera! I upgraded from the Rx100 which was already a great camera but liked some of the new features on this model. Having a viewfinder/ eyepiece is really helpful if it's bright out its hard to see with the LCD monitor alone. This model also has an adjustable LCD monitor which is nice. The flash has a small switch to open it. This camera has superb quality of 20.1mp and many different settings. It can be left in the fully automatic two settings or manual, shutter and aperture along with a few others. I have been playing with the "photo creativity" and having fun taking different kinds of photos including black and white. You can shoot photos in raw or Jpeg or both. I can't wait to try out the movie feature. I love the wireless feature that enables me to easily transfer a photo to my cell phone. I'm just giving a few of the highlights, this camera is a joy to use and fairly easy to learn even if you're just an amateur. I got Alexander S. White's book Photographer's Guide to the Sony DSC-RX100 111. It is a fabulous book loaded with all sorts of good information! It's well written and easy to understand. I highly recommend it if you want to learn all there is about this camera. I look forward to taking this camera on an up coming international trip instead of having to lug along my bulky heavy camera equipment!
on August 29, 2014
I've only had this camera a week, but I love it! It takes great pictures and has quick release. The kit came with lots of extras too.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations