Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2012 1:28:25 PM PDT
P. Gribling says:
What is the DVD-r that has a hand written title. This is the 3rd disc. The ultraViolet digital copy STREAMS from the Sony's cloud and the code is on the paper slip.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 1:54:34 PM PDT
dyfuy89 says:
That's a official DVD. They made it look like a bootleg. Goes with the theme of Lisbeth character

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 3:33:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 4:18:34 PM PDT
Nellie says:
http://gizmodo.com/5895298/the-official-dvd-for-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-looks-like-a-pirated-disc

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 3:42:46 PM PDT
I have six friends who all bought the film on bluray or dvd also and all have the same DVD-R look. It is the official release playing to the character of Lisbeth's style. If you'd look closely at the disc. you would see the razor blade that Lisbeth wears etched into the disc as well as the rating and why it's rated thusly. Also on the inside clear center of the disc the official company title and rating are etched in as well. So please stop complaining until you've LOOKED CLOSELY AT SOMETHING.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 3:48:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2012 3:54:10 PM PDT
R. Levine says:
It is not a DVD-R. It is manufactured to look like one. You can easily tell this by inspecting the disc. This has also been confirmed by professional reviewers.

Edit: No offense to anyone, but I don't understand why people would think that a huge company like Sony would give you a burned DVD-R instead of an official disc. Obviously it looks like one. I just don't get it. I think it's really cool that they did it.

Posted on Mar 21, 2012 3:49:14 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2012 4:18:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:25:13 PM PDT
Nellie says:
if a person has traveled to parts of the world where official looking bootlegs are everywhere like Hong Kong or China or India or Brazil, just for example... a person may understand why a note would have been prudent in the box, my opinion. I personally think controversy and confusing people who even travel globally and see many clever bootlegs is part of the Sony DVD marketing plan.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 4:25:47 PM PDT
Nellie says:
http://gizmodo.com/5895298/the-official-dvd-for-the-girl-with-the-dragon-tattoo-looks-like-a-pirated-disc

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2012 8:06:33 PM PDT
R. Levine says:
I noticed that you deleted your earlier post and moved this one. I am a little confused about your position. That article states that it's an awesome and unique marketing idea. Is it supposed to strengthen your argument? I have seen bootlegs from Cina and Hong Kong. I agree that you may not know if you're not from here, but if are, then that excuse doesn't really work. Especially if you bought the Blu-ray version, because there are clearly two blu ray discs housed with the DVD. Thinking that one disc is bootleg, while the other two aren't, is a tad ridiculous.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 7:47:27 AM PDT
P. Gribling says:
I never thought it was a bootleg, but maybe a production film on the making of the movie. Life would be a lot easier if people would just answer a question with a simple answer without trying to trash them for asking a question. People show respect for others. Life is hard enough as it is.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 8:02:02 AM PDT
wow, some people are nimble minded morons....wow, if you actually thought it was a burned dvd-r, then i have a bridge to sell you too...haha

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:26:28 AM PDT
Our problem is that as a library circulating feature films, dishonest borrowers frequently steal original discs and substitute burned copies. So this one's a little confusing.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 7:23:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 29, 2012 7:28:40 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
My Blu Ray discs from this brand new set don't play in my Pioneer Blu Ray player. Just get the Sony intro then blank - for both discs. the DVD (the disc that looks like a burned copy) plays fine- though only has standard dvd clarity and sound. I admit I've become spoiled by true hd/blu ray - and purschase keeper movies on blu ray discs.
I checked both blu rays in my laptop which has a blu ray disc player/recorder. It won't play them. It identifies them as Blu Ray (as does the home theater player) but says they are the wrong format. These are the only blu ray discs to ever not work in my player, which is a year old.
Anyone else have this issue?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 11:30:35 AM PDT
Its still a firm ware issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 12:10:37 PM PDT
Steve_2020 says:
Thanks. I updated the firmware last weekend and I can now get the BD to play, though I have to come at it sideways (from scene selections). I can't just put it in and it will play. Thanks for the reply.

Posted on Apr 7, 2012 8:17:58 AM PDT
Dennis Yahoo says:
I think it would be prudent of Amazon to alert customers that this is a gimmick. When I opened the package, the first emotion was outrage. I've had this happen in the past. It's only slightly amusing after learning the truth from posts here.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 8:14:10 AM PDT
I understand the outside part, but did they want it to look like a bootleg when you watch the movie. Mine did! It looked like someone was sitting in a dark theater filming the screen and then slapped it on a DVD. The sound was horrible and we never could get the screen to lighten up enough to see all the action. Maybe people are complaining because they didn't get a quality INSIDE DVD.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2012 8:18:09 AM PDT
I agree. My problem is when you play the movie. It looked like someone filmed it in a darkened theater. We can hardly understand some of the dialogue and the picture won't lighten up enough for us to see it clearly in some scenes. That's why I thought it was a bootleg and that I had been duped.

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 9:43:24 AM PST
bodie says:
Purchased what looks like a valid, factory wrapped copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. It will not play. Gets to theme music and stops at 13 seconds. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 8:17:15 PM PST
Wilcy Moore says:
Update the firmware on your player.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 9:58:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2012 9:59:53 PM PST
Steve_2020 says:
if the firmware update doesn't work (it didn't on my 2-3 year old Pioneer BD), return the disc and stream it/on demand it. or buy a new player. I wound up with a new BD player that came bundled with a new tv. it plays in the new one, a Panasonic

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:09:58 PM PST
Steve_2020 says:
Wow- just went back through this thread/topic. Amazon or someone came through and deleted a LOT of troubleshooting/complaint type posts from people like me who were having issues. It was all detailed, everything we went through. Now it's mostly gone. Too bad. More people will buy this badly authored disc.

The GWTDT BD simply won't play in certain BD players- no matter how new the firmware is. There were Many complaints about this- myself and others exchanging multiple copies, trying different players. It seems mainly some Pioneer players have issues with it. Sony should have made good on the bad ones- but I don't think they ever fixed the issue. Just refer to this most recent complaint that resurrected this thread.

Whatever. I would have returned my second glitchy copy for a refund and given up if I hadn't happened to get a newer BD player that plays it.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 10:14:20 PM PST
Steve_2020 says:
Never mind. I guess there was a similar thread. All our comments are on that one.
In any case, hope the solves i mentioned above are helpful.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Daniel Craig (DVD - 2012)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (1,171)