Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2011 7:34:27 AM PDT
Are these Region 1 DVDs?

Posted on Apr 2, 2011 6:18:05 PM PDT
Yes they are. In case nobody told you, legit retailers are only allowed to sell DVDs for their (and ONLY their) region. Your question is being asked on Amazon US, which means Region 1 only. Marketplace Sellers on the other hand are third parties who can sell anything they please. Moreover, the most recent region 2 copy has been out for sometime now. Also, not to embarrass you, but I believe the product description already says they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2011 8:37:58 PM PDT
Yes, the Product Description is Region 1, but so was the Product Description for "Cosmos" that I ordered in January. My DVD set arrived - Region 0 which did not play on my Blu-Ray. The seller, cddvd4u, sent emails puzzled as to why the discs didn't play on my machine, but finally admitted Region 0 discs will not play on Blu-Ray. They also stated Amazon writes the Product Descriptions and the sellers have no control over them. So, from now on, I am trying to verify the stated product is as it is represented.

Are there Marketplace Sellers on Amazon? If so, how can the customer identify them?

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 8:09:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2011 8:13:04 AM PDT
The price shown in bold is the "Amazon themselves" price. The prices saying under "used and new" are mostly Marketplace Sellers (although the Amazon price is sometimes included in the list). You just said the magic words yourself when you said "cddvd4u". Names like that are names used for these 3rd parties. Sometimes these "sellers" are legit retailers, you can check by plugging the name into your browser but many times they are like what you got. The product description on Amazon is for THEIR copy and the copy sold by legit retailers. Sellers like the one who burned you, can do whatever they please. Believe me, I know, I have been burned too. Amazon will show say for example a picture of this Upstairs Downstairs set, but a marketplace seller could have chosen to put their ad here even though they are selling the copy that I have, or the one before it even because all they were looking for to place their listing was the "right title words" to put it in under (Upstairs Downstairs Complete Set). They don't always care to tell you it's the same set or an older copy. Some do, and usually get the high ratings from people like us. Some just want you to show them the money (buy my product for less, who cares what condition it is in or what release it is). You just have to pick the right seller. As for Region 0, 9 times out of 10, those are homemade discs and even though I don't have a blu ray player, my guts tell me you need to read the details on your blu ray player, to see if they will play or not first. Finally, don't let the seller try to blame shift to Amazon. As I said before, I have seen situations where sellers will put their listing for an older release under the current release because it is worded the same and sometimes sell you the "product you don't want". That is THEIR fault, not Amazon's.

Posted on Apr 3, 2011 10:33:34 AM PDT
So, if I understand you correctly, if I click on "Add To Cart" and pay the $130.99 price (without going into the "new" or "used" prices) I will get a new, top quality copy of the product guaranteed by Amazon itself?

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 8:38:00 AM PDT
Jen22201 says:
That's correct.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 1:33:30 PM PDT
OK. Thank you. That's what I'll do from now on.

Posted on Apr 4, 2011 4:09:22 PM PDT
You got it, Michael, the price in bold is Amazon themselves :-). I will admit there are some Marketplace Sellers that ARE reliable. I can recommend a few, they should have 85% or higher ratings. But yes, the price in bold currently $130.99 is Amazon themselves price.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2011 7:56:45 PM PDT
Thanks, Eric. Now I know what to do. :)

Posted on Apr 6, 2011 4:11:11 PM PDT
Anytime, new friend. Enjoy the show

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 12:43:23 PM PDT
Nick Joseph says:
What blu-ray player do you have that won't play a region 0 disc? Region 0 means it should play on any DVD/BD player, unless there are NTSC/PAL/SECAM incompatibilities to account for.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2011 8:40:04 PM PDT
I have a LG Blu-Ray. I called the installers (Geek Squad) and they said it should play Region 0 disks with the updated software. I don't have it hooked up to the Internet so apparently I don't have the latest. I'll make an appointment to have that rectified.

Thanks,

Mike

Posted on Apr 24, 2011 4:15:25 PM PDT
That can be an issue. I remember in the early days of DVD my first 2 players. One could not play disc 2 of Ken Burns Baseball, and the other couldn't play any of the set at all. The first one also could not play the bonus disc in the Fantasia Anthology that Disney put out the same year (Fantasia Legacy). I had to return both sets to Amazon. Eventually the second player died of unknown causes out of nowhere, and I gave away or ditched the first player. Eventually, after replacing them a few times, I rebought both sets offline and learned that it was the players' faults not the discs. Had I upgraded the chips in them, I might have saved the returns. By then however, newer players were a better buy than waiting on new parts that I was not sure how to install, so I did that and eventually as I said rebought the discs (after apologizing to Amazon, which they accepted). If Geek Squad can help you modify your existing player for less than buying a new one, by all means do so. Hope you enjoy Upstairs Downstairs Classic (have you gotten the new one yet as well?).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 24, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection
Upstairs, Downstairs: The Complete Series - 40th Anniversary Collection by Gordon Jackson (DVD - 2011)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (355)