Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

DVD's you are going to replace with Blu...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2008 7:01:12 AM PDT
Monsoon777 says:
I own 300 DVD's and about 20 and blu so far. Obviously I love to collect movies and obviously I like every movie I've purchased, but I can't justify re-buying most of them in HD them with my limited income... So the question is (for you average income, non trust-fund babies out there) what are the movies you already own on DVD that you're going to replace with Blu? Also HD doesn't benefit some movies as much as others...

Movies I will definitely re-buy:
L.O.T.R. (for the third time lol)
Pixar flicks: monsters, Toy Story 1 & 2, etc..
Star Wars
The Island
The Thing

On the fence movies:

That's my list so far.... how about you?

Other movies I'm fine with the DVD quality because it just doesn't matter enough to justify re-buying...

The Matrix is one of those on the fence.. It was good, not great, the

This post is for the average joe... People who aren't trust fund babies, or make bucket loads of money)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 9:46:22 PM PDT
Donald Hamby says:
Well, I just started my Blu-Ray collection, and I ran into a bit of a sale at a Virgin Mega store last week. I bought 5 titles I already owned and 3 new ones. The only one out of the 8 I actually really wanted was The Fifth Element. The rest will just jump start my "blu" library. Ok, to actually answer your question, I am waiting (fingers crossed) for Fight Club, Vanilla Sky, and Snatch to come out on Blu-Ray. Ive never bought any Star Wars flicks, but will probably buy once released on BR. Iwont bother with nay of my cherished 80's slasher flicks bc I dont see how BR could really be a big improvement over the grainy originals. Donnie Darko, Scarface, maybe the Godfathers, Transformers, and a few others will be considered. I am like you, I have 230 regular DVD's and don't have a ton of $$ to go buy whatever new BR releases come out each week.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 4:36:12 PM PDT
C. S. Popper says:
I am so glad someone has asked this question. I, too, am in the same boat as you.

Here's how I've been seeing it: current movies being released on Blu-Ray have a better chance of really showing off their splendidness in 1080p with an awesome sound system. If you don't have an HDTV or sound system capable of 5.1 or 7.1, it is not worth the investment.

However, if you do, I would buy the movies that will take advantage of the sound system and HDTV. In particular, films shot on site and not in a studio will look better in 1080p than a movie shot entirely on sets (i.e., most of The Pirates of the Caribbean movies.)

If you're not thinking The Matrix was a great movie and the sequels didn't excite you much, you might want to steer clear of the Blu-Ray release. Keep in mind, though, The Matrix Trilogy would probably be a good transfer. I bought the Ultimate Matrix Trilogy on DVD a few years ago that came with 10 discs; it basically renewed my interest in the movie, especially after watching the Animatrix. The sound and visuals alone would be pretty awesome to view. I'm excited for it, but at $90, I might wait.

I would only buy movies that will take advantage of the Blu-Ray's abilities. Action films would be good, but consider the source. Terminator 2 would be nice, but it was shot in Super 35 and probably would not look good transfered over (too many imperfections in the film).

Do your homework. has some excellent reviews for movies re-released in the Blu-Ray format. It is worth checking out.

If you have 27 Dresses on DVD, that would not be worthy enough to purchase on Blu-Ray. It just doesn't have the same appeal visually as say 300 or any of the Pixar films. It would be pointless. However, if it is an all-time favorite, definitely do the upgrade if it is a solid purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 4:46:13 PM PDT
I own somewhere between 200 to 300 DVD's... most of which will not get re-purchased on blu-ray.

Solid Rebuys: Lord of the Rings (only rebuy if it's the extended versions), Kill Bill (only rebuy if it's the Whole Bloody Affair), Bourne Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Indiana Jones Trilogy (as long as it excludes the God-awful Indy 4 - I refuse to own that pile of dung.) Original Star Wars Trilogy (only rebuy if buttface Lucas comes to his senses and releases the original theatrical versions remastered in HD... I highly doubt this will happen.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 2:50:46 AM PDT
A Customer says:
The Whole Bloody Affair is a Bloody Rumor. This reminds me of the long awaited Extended DUNE (which Lynch talked about and never made) which became a un-authorized curiosity item.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2008 12:24:11 AM PDT
AMP says:
There is an extended edition of "Dune":

Dune (Extended Edition Steelbook)

Hey, I'll probably wanna replace it with Blu-Ray too...

Others I wanna do:
-"Matrix" series, obviously...
-All "Star Wars" movies
-All "LOTR" movies (maybe I'll buy it with "The Hobbit" when it comes out too)
-All "Indiana Jones" movies (including #4; I liked it)
-All "X-Men" movies
-Maybe all 10 "Star Trek" movies (maybe with #11 when it comes out)
-All "Evil Dead" movies
-"Minority Report"
-"300" (special edition coming out next year)
-"Transformers" movie (maybe I'll get it for Christmas...)
-"Metropolis" 1927 (hopefully coming out next year with newly-discovered footage)
-"Braveheart" (coming out next January I believe)
-"Children of Men"
-"Daylight" (because my DVD copy is 13 years old and I think I got my money's use out of it)
-"They Live" (also an old copy)
-"The Third Man"
-"The Seven Samurai"
-Maybe "House of Flying Daggers"
-"Silence of the Lambs" (or maybe I'll just buy the whole Hannibal Lecter series)
-Still thinking about the 20+ James Bond movies...
-Probably a bunch of others...

Ones I already did:
-Both "Kill Bill" movies (last I heard, the "Whole Bloody Affair" edition won't come out for a long darn time)
-All "Terminator" movies (granted though that "T2" really wasn't a good transfer and has no special features)
-"Total Recall" (but once again, not a good edition)
-"Blade Runner"
-"I Am Legend"
-"Spiderman" trilogy
-"Starship Troopers"
-"I, Robot"
-"A Clockwork Orange"
-"The Shining"
-"Kingdom of Heaven"

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 7:37:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2008 7:56:24 PM PDT
Yepthatsit says:
Good question.

I own about 160 DVD titles and now 8 Blurays as well. The only replacement so far is Batman Begins. Of the other DVD titles I have I would like to replace:

LOTR trilogy
The Matrix (only the first one. I must admit I think the other two are pretty bad)
The Thing
V for Vendetta
The Mist
Blade Runner Final Cut (although the DVD transfer is great and looks fantastic upconverted)
The Chronicles of Riddick
Pitch Black
Saving Private Ryan
Children of Men
Deja Vu
Fight Club
The Prestige
Training Day
The Godfather trilogy
Mulholland Drive
- and most importantly:
Battlestar Galactica, the new series and Razor. Everything I can get.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2008 9:24:45 AM PDT
Elliot Cross says:
You're all amateurs! ;-) I've got about 900 DVDs.

I'll only be replacing:
A) those that should benefit a lot - e.g. Independence Day, Starship Troopers, etc. (I started off with Starship Troopers on VHS).
B) my favourites - e.g. I'll be getting Criterion's Blu-Ray Third Man at some point. Casablanca. Etc.

LOTR and Star Wars fulfill both A and B so I'll definitely be getting those!

I too have been waiting for Kill Bill the Whole Bloody Affair.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 2:58:12 AM PDT
I've replaced all my DVD's (except The Lord of the Rings, Scarface, The Office and Seinfeld which aren't available yet), selling my DVD's and giving them away to friends & family.

Posted on Mar 30, 2009 9:38:56 AM PDT
DeeGX2 says:
Im either giving mine away as a replacement to friends and family when i replace them with blu ray. So ill probably be replacing all of them. That is, if a select few does not come out on blu. so ill just up up convert and hang on to them.

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 2:36:24 AM PDT
I've replaced a bunch already. The only ones I re-buy are large action-type films that will benefit from being in HD. Comedies, romances, most dramas etc I am fine with the DVD. I don't need to see every pore in Morgan Freeman's face in The Shawshank Redemption for instance, so the DVD will suffice.

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 5:24:54 AM PDT
My husband has 1206 movies in his collection, I made him a deal that he can buy any new movie he wants on blu ray. The movies he already has if it is something he has watched a lot we will consider buying on blu ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2009 12:48:11 PM PDT
I already have 1500 dvds and 800 bluray in my collection. And i live in Argentine where is not possible to buy a bluray for less that usd 70. Thats why i buy at least 100 every time i travel to the states.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 1:30:34 PM PDT
M. Pillai says:
why do you want to rebuy The Island??????

Posted on Oct 14, 2009 3:07:21 AM PDT
M. Bell says:
Our collection is in the thousands over a span of about 10 years. But there is only a small percentage that I want in a better quality format:
Lord of the Rings Extended series
Star Wars series
James Bond series (maybe according to price)
Matrix series (not a fan of the sequels, but want the whole set in BR)
Dawn of Dead 2004
Golden Compass

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 12:10:42 AM PDT
J. Sheer says:
my whle frickin disney collection (yep im psycho i bought Beauty and the Beast legit copy on ebay for $80.00 in april of 2009 now im buying Beauty and the Beast on Blu october 2010. im that nuts.....

Posted on Jul 17, 2010 10:26:13 PM PDT
N. Hardy says:
I own close to 900 DVDs, so the odds of me replacing even half of them with Blu seems unlikely, if not financially irresponsible. I have upgraded Blade Runner, ID4, Kill Bill, Godfather Trilogy, Matrix Trilogy, Bourne Trilogy, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Firefly, and maybe a couple more. But there aren't many other films that I'm dying to upgrade to Blu, other than Spielberg's stuff.

When they do come out on Blu, definitely upgrades include:

The Long Kiss Goodnight
True Lies
Alien Collection
Back To The Future
The Abyss
The Crow
Cowboy Bebop
and most importantly...

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 6:13:30 PM PST
So far, I started trying out Blu-Rays Christmas yesterday with the Ultimate Matrix Collection, the Back to the Future Trilogy 25th Anniversary Collection, Batman (1989), and Toy Story 3 to get started. When we were at Best Buy today, I bought Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Batman Returns, Superman 2: The Richard Donner Cut, and Bad Boys. Those of Back to the Future and Terminator 2 I initially had on DVD, but decided to upgrade. All the Blu-Rays I own are great, much better than DVD.

Posted on Jan 16, 2011 8:00:58 AM PST
resevil239 says:
"The Matrix is one of those on the fence.. It was good, not great, the"-you sir, are insane! lol, jk. The matrix is my fav movie of all time. I have the blu-ray ultamate edition, but unless you love the movies, its not worth buying on blu. It's not as big a difference as other movies.
So far I have replaced: The matix, Constantine, and terminator 2. My DVD collection consists of about 110 movies (which I think is pretty impressive for a college student whose never had a job), and Im not entirely sure what I will replace. I do know that after seeing T2 on blu, I won't buy any 880's movies that I love like lost boys, the goonies, gremlins, ect. w/ out seeing them on blu fist. Don't get me wrong, t2 looked AMAZING, but it lacked that sort of grany dated look and I love seeing that in certain older movies. W/ out it, they loose some of that older charm that I love about them.

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 3:33:55 PM PST
I also forgot to mention that I also went to Slackers and bought Inception and Speed. I also bought the Dark Knight and the complete Avatar: The Last Airbender series at Walmart as well as the Predator 2-pack for my friend.

Posted on Jan 19, 2011 8:27:38 PM PST
L. Cheng says:
The only LOTR anyone should buy on BR is the EE!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 1:50:47 PM PDT
Desired FX says:
I'm not generally a re-buyer when it comes to movies. I learned that lesson long ago with CDs: why buy something that you're already not listening to just because the format is better?

As such, the only ones that are getting replaced are things that I watch over and over, anyway, and then only when the price is spectacular.

So far, the only double-dips (and I've been Blu since 2007) are Firefly, Sin City (extended, re-cut, etc.) and The Ultimate Matrix Collection (which I just got today). I did overlap for the Die Hard trilogy by buying the four-film collection when it came down to about $40...and at some point, I bought the Blu Spider-Man trilogy, but I think I only had the first Spidey on DVD...

Posted on Aug 26, 2011 3:12:19 AM PDT
Adam82 says:
I already have repurchased some movies on Blu.

I have the DVD and BluRay sets of all 4 Alien movies
I have the Man With No Name trilogy on DVD and Blu
Apocalypse Now
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Matrix Collection
Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan
All Quiet on the Western Front (1979 version)

I'll probably get LOTR again on Blu ray, and Star Wars too.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 9:53:32 AM PDT
I've got lots of movies on DVD, and I don't think I'll replace many of them. I have already replaced a few movies/sets for blu-ray:
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Star Wars Trilogy
Back to the Future
Lord of the Rings
I bought the Spiderman Trilogy ($30, couldn't pass up), Firefly and Serenity on blu-ray to start, plus the new Sherlock BBC series, and a handful of other movies (Inception was our first blu-ray, Sherlock Holmes, Magnolia - which looks gorgeous).

The only movies in the future I'd love to replace with blu-ray are
Jurassic Park set
Indiana Jones set

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 2:26:03 AM PST
Shaman says:
Maybe we have money because we don't waste it on buying DVDs. How about that? Why buy when you can rent any time you want?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  28
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about