4.0 out of 5 stars With any $250 hand held camcorder you get what you pay for.
Published on November 19, 2011 by J. W. Lynch III

2.0 out of 5 stars A great idea poorly executed
Pros: Decent Start-up Time
Includes HDMI Cable, Small Carrying Case, and Shoulder Strap
Simple, Easy to use controls
Decent quality screen
Light weight

Cons: Very sub-par microphone / Audio Quality
3D video is only 960x1080 pixels wide because the frames are encoded side by side
No image stabilization whatsoever
Design flaw...
Published on October 31, 2011 by Ian Morris

4.0 out of 5 stars With any $250 hand held camcorder you get what you pay for., November 19, 2011
J. W. Lynch III "New investor" (Government Employee, Overseas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
Item arrived very quickly and was ready to use right out of the box. As with all of my battery operated electronics I put the battery on the charger while I read through the manual, but a few pages in, I realized that the battery had a full charge. Took a 3d photo, and a 3d video and expected to be able to pull the SD card and put it in my 3d DVD player and see everything in 3d, but only the photo would show up. Connected the HDMI (provided) cable to my 3d TV and was able to view the video. Camera has a very easy to use menu that allows complete configuration for multiple resolutions, record quality, WB and EV. Can record in both NTSC and PAL so I can send stuff to my friends in Europe.

I want to capture and save 3d video but I don't have a bluray 3d DVD burner (if there is such a thing) so I'm researching if the AVCHD disc created by the Arcsoft software (provided) will play back in 3d? If not then I'll have to store my videos on the SD card and replace them when they become full.

The reasons it didn't get 5 stars:
The lens flips up and interferes with the tilt of the LCD screen.
The battery has to be removed to recharge.
There is no image stabilization.
Navigation button to small and not well labled for functions.
Camera has to be hooked up and turned on to view videos on a 3d TV. (unless I learn that the files will work on AVCHD)

This is a $250 HD video camera that works as advirtised. It's not profesional quality, but I just want to record some my kid's sports events, and family gatherings so this is worth the money. Still learning the Arcsoft program for capturing video and images from the camera. It provides a one click to upload to youtube/facebook, but I haven't really looked the program beyound that.

Also the 3d paralax LCD screen takes some getting used to. My eyes were seeing double when ever I pointed the camera at something that was within 3-4 ft. There is no zoom in 3d so after a while I found a decent focal point distance and tried to keep my subject at that distance. I think it's about 6ft?

2.0 out of 5 stars A great idea poorly executed, October 31, 2011
Decent quality screen
Light weight

Cons: Very sub-par microphone / Audio Quality
No image stabilization whatsoever
Design flaw does not allow you to tilt screen up
Very difficult to get the PC USB interface to work

Summary: When I purchased this product I expected it to be a larger size than it actually is. The two cameras on the front of the device are not as far apart as human eyes so the 3D effect is not as intense as real vision. The camera will only operate if the lenses are horizontal which prevents you from tilting the display at an upward angle. Using a tripod mount will block you from quickly accessing the SD card slot. The device does not do USB charging and require you remove the battery from the device to charge it with a separate charger. Toggle knob for changing modes between video and photo mode is flimsy and is easy to accidentally bump. I expected picture and video quality to be better. Part of the problem is that pictures and video are encoded so that each frame of video takes up half of one 1080 frame. This reduces the quality of the 3D video mode by half. Videos are pretty much only watchable if uploaded to YouTube because YouTube fixes the aspect ratio issues and allows you to do 2D viewing as well. The audio quality is worse than you would get even with just a modern cell phone. The audio becomes distorted very easily so you probably wouldn't want to have music in the background of whatever you're recording. That being said it is also pretty sensitive to sounds produced by handling the camera itself while not being very good unless people are speaking in voices louder than regular talking. I had bought a 32GB memory card and it said there was no more space after only 6GB worth of video was recorded. When I was in a hurry to dump files off the device I had a lot of difficulty getting the USB interface working. It takes a lot of different tricks to get it to work. The built in LED light was not adequate enough to illuminate things well and left a blue tint on things. The digital zoom was better than expected but was not smooth. It was stepping rather than smoothly zooming.

I am going to return this product based on sound quality alone, but it was an interesting experience for sure. I did like trying consumer level 3D technology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for home movies, February 22, 2012
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
I have been waiting for an affordable 3D camcorder. I purchased an LG 55" 3D TV at the end of Dec. 2011 and within two weeks, purchased the DXG 5F9V camera. This was not my first DXG camcorder. I had been using the 2D palm sized camcorder by DXG for a few years before it was lost. I was always happy with the previous camcorder so I figured it best to stick with DXG. I knew what to expect. Admittedly the audio recording is a drawback, but I didn't buy it for that purpose. If I want professional quality audio for the "big production", I own the equipment and software to make that happen. The 5F9V is simple to use. It offers the most sensible options such as resolution selections, white balance, b/w or sepia effects, night mode, fine/standard quality selection, auto power off options, and digital zoom. Although the specs indicate that the zoom is not functional in 3D modes, it seems to work on mine. In 1080p & 720p @ 30fps resolutions the zoom appears incremental but in 720p @ 60fps the zoom appears smooth. After 30+ years of using video cameras, I have grown out of the zooming habit. The 720p 60 frames per second resolution option is great for fast moving action. The 1080p and 720p resolutions reproduce excellent color and detail and I was surprised at the accurate linearity for the small fixed focus lenses. A feature that I really love is the option to have the camera turn on and off by the monitor screen opening and closing. Makes sense. The camcorder has no video stabilization built in but much of that is solved by the use of a monopod or tripod. You can get a monopod for $15 at WalMart. Seeing the LCD monitor outdoors on a bright day is difficult due to the gloss finish of the screen but is easily solved by applying a stick-on glare filter. The camcorder is not designed for low light although it doesn't do bad in a well lit room. It has a night shot setting that does help somewhat in low light. My first use of the camera's 3D feature was amazing. We went to the pier at the ocean and captured a lady feeding a flock of seagulls. I was shooting right in the middle of those swarming birds. When we played the shots back on the LG TV in 3D, you could have reached out and grabbed one. If you can avoid overdoing the old "stick in the eye" shot, you'll have a lot of fun with this little machine. I don't regret spending $250 on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D images, high quality sound, software doesn't work, February 26, 2012
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
I didn't expect much when I bought this but only bought it because it seems something new to fool around with. I used this to video my daughter playing piano in a piano trio concert for piano, violin, cello. I just plugged it into my passive cheap Sigmac 3D t.v. and was immediately stunned by how sharp and clear the 3D image was. I was holding it in my hand so there was a little shake but no big deal. The stage exposure was perfect and image was sharp despite the stage not being that bright. The 3D effect was excellent even when sitting in audience. The sound going through my surround system was very good and clear and picked up everything no problem. The sharpness of the 3D video is what surprised me the most in this cheap 3D camera. Play back however could be improved because it only plays one clip at a time so you have to start a new clip each time. The digital zoom works very good considering it it digital. There is a little pixelation but because of the HD format, it is no big deal and certainly better than nothing and the zoomed image retained its sharpness on my 55" t.v. Battery life seemed good also. They recommend class 6 cards but you should just buy class 10. The software that came with it doesn't work and Arcsoft does not even list it on their website so it is useless. But I will find software later to import to computer. The t.v. 3D format used was passive with circular polarizer, side by side. When images are copied to computer you have left and right and no way to convert to red blue. I gave it 5 stars because for value you can't beat it even though software it comes with doesn't work. I paid $1000 for my Canon HD camcorder and it came with no software at all so I don't expect cameras to come with software or working software anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash. Really Dont Buy., May 30, 2012
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
This camera is very very bad. Its toy camera. Photo quality is very very poor. 3d format and software is a nightmare.
3d video has a ghost. Its up to you if you buy but in my experience its not good at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch a demo of the 3D video quality on YouTube, March 24, 2012
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
I love my DXG-5F9V camcorder. The resolution is great, the 3D great, the sound--no problem. I watch the videos on my 3D TV by using the TV as the monitor for my computer. The biggest complaint I have is that the LCD screen is so reflective that I can't see the display image in bright outdoor lighting -- all that I see is my own face. I've ordered an anti-reflective film to apply to the display. I'm hoping that solves the problem. I made a short demo video and posted it on the YouTube channel called "urbancowgirlshow". It shows the quality of the video you can get with the camcorder. The demo shows a billiards game being played, indoors with natural lighting from the nearby windows. It's called "Billiards in 3D". Go to [...] to see the demo. There's another demo called "A 3D Look At The Making of of One Urban Cowgirl Show Episode" which was taken outdoors. (The zoomed in portion has sound out of sync with the video, but that was caused by my video editor, not the camcorder. The raw video is in sync on the camcorder's recording on the SD card.) You'll see that since the camcorder has only digital zoom, the image becomes pixelated (low resolution) at maximum zoom, so I'll avoid using much zoom in future videos. I did it on this video just to demonstrate the effect.

I'd recommend this camcorder to anyone who wants an economical entry into 3D video.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded Expectations, September 4, 2012
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
This device does a really nice job with 3d videos and still photos when the light is adequate, much better than I expected. The digital zoom is actually useable, I think because of the 1080p resolution. The 1080 format also allows both videos and stills to be edited and burned to a 3d dvd using Sony HD Movie studio and DVD Architect software. The only negative I can offer regarding this camcorder would be it's small size & light weight, it's very hard to hold steady, works best when used with a tripod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 27, 2014
This review is from: DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder (Electronics)
good unit to have when travling

DXG-5F9V HD 1080P 3D Camcorder