on December 5, 2008
No other stamp does automatic date/time in such a small portable package. Unlike a regular rubber stamp, you never have to set the date again after first use, and it also can stamp the time.

There are 4 fields available - date, time, message, and 4-digit or 6-digit serialized number. You can have any combination except if you use the 4-digit counter then you can have up to 2 of date/time/message, if you use the 6-digit counter then you can have up to 1 of date/time/message. For details, the manual is on Dymo's website.

The size appears to be regular 12 point font, similar to the really old cashier's receipt in purple ink, but cleaner, darker, and crisper. It takes about 2 seconds to print the date/time/etc. The only thing I had to get used to was the time format. For example, 3PM is printed out as "P03:00". There's a 24-hour time format, but I haven't used it. Other features that I haven't used are the alarm, and the locks. I have had no mechanical problems with the unit. One can refill the ink roller with a couple of drops in inkpad ink, so I imagine that you could use any color after the original purple color runs out.

I use the Dymo Datemark at work on papers that require a date stamp (e.g. packing slips, invoices received) , but also on drawings, schematics, printouts, repair tags and notes to record when a certain thing was done and how old some items really are. Makes recordkeeping a lot easier, especially for someone who never keeps in mind what the date is. Great product.

UPDATE 5/4/13 Somebody in the comments section requested a picture in the 24 hour format. While messing with the unit to try and do that, it stopped working. I had it for 4 1/2 years and thought it was still a good purchase for the amount of time I had it, but then I went to the Dymo website to see whether it had a troubleshooting section, and it did. Among the common problems was the sliding bracket not moving. I followed the instructions - removed all the batteries, moved the sliding bracket with the tip of a pen or pencil so that it moved freely, put in new AA and coin batteries (I didn't have a new coin battery handy, so I put the old one back in), then poked the reset button with the pen/pencil tip, then waited less than 1 second for the flashing "P. RESET" error message on the front display to go away, and then the unit worked fine. The new AA batteries made the unit operate with a more robust noise than before, compared to the sluggish noise of the previous set of AA batteries. I think I got the bracket stuck because the batteries were several years old, and I was pressing buttons almost as in Monkey Testing.

In addition to a picture of the 24-hour format, I uploaded images of the messages (IN, OUT, PAID, FILE, RCVD, CFMD, and REF:) and of the sequential 4-digit numbering.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 19, 2009
I like the convenience of this date printer.

I've wanted something that I could use to stamp groceries as I purchase them. Some items stay in the cabinet too long and I've wished I knew how old they really were, before I tried to use it, or toss it. A paper tape label maker would have been too expensive for that purpose. I think this will work out well.

I like to stamp invoices with the date I paid the bill so this will be perfect for that.

It's also convenient as a desk clock. I didn't understand why it had an alarm until I realized it was so folks could get rid of any clock they have on their desk and use this as a replacement.

I wish designers could design some better interfaces for electronic tools. It's a general complaint with most items like this though.

I would have preferred red ink and larger type. This is too small for me to read without good light, or my reading glasses. Just a touch larger and I'd be fine. I'd rather it be red so it would stand out more, and also a black or blue ink would show through the stamp if I stamped over it.

Since there is an ink roller I guess I could try to get the purple ink out of it and load it up with red. It would probably take quite a while to work the purple out of the roller but I might do it. Too bad they don't offer optional rollers in other colors.

It does what I want though.

It should really come with a tray to stand in. As it is, the letters are exposed on the bottom at all times. They are slightly recessed, but I'm sure I'd get some ink on the carpet if I were to drop it, and it probably will eventually pick up dust through the stamp opening.

I can't believe the Amazon price. I usually find Amazon to have the best prices. I was going to an Office Supply store anyway and thought I'd look at it before I ordered it. It was almost half the Amazon price at the store, and it wasn't on sale either.
on May 2, 2009
I love this thing, it is a little expensive for what I bought it for but it works perfectly. I work in a medical office and I have to put a time in and a time out for every patient that I work up and this helps me to remember to do that. I also have to put down a time for a lot of the tests that I do so I use it for that as well. I wasn't sure how big the print would be, but it is just the right size, probably comparable to a size 10 font. It also will do just time or just date or both.
on July 20, 2011
I've had my DYMO stamper for a few years now...I'm actually on my second unit as the first one died on me after a couple of years.

The stamper works fine sometimes. Other times, it will print jibberish instead of the date and time. I've found that if I "pre-stamp" a scrap piece of paper prior to stamping the actual document that needs the time stamp, this seems to clear the jibberish out. It will then work for a while but then go back to the jibberish.

I've tried resetting the unit and replacing all of the batteries a few times but nothing solves the problem. Now that I'm used to it's quirkiness, I can use it almost problem free.

Unfortunately, there's no other product around in this price range that does a better job so for now, this is the only choice.
on May 27, 2010
I'm a doc & I got this a part of my battle with medical records department that wants everything signed, date & timed. It saves a tremendous amount of hand writing and is of course legible. I had a hard time programing it, but the 1 800 support team was very helpful and after 30 min we got its memory cleared & set properly. When I'm in the hospital it saves a lot of work. I wish it printed a little faster, you have to wait until the mechanism stops running before you can take it off the paper, a few seconds. And when I carry it in my pocket the buttons are always getting bumped & beeping. But its worth the money! One of my colleagues saw it & got 2.
on November 26, 2011
Bought this to help with all my hospital documentation. Since every signature requires date & time & Dr ID -- this makes a big difference by the end of the day. It is a bit big and heavy but fits in my coat pocket just fine. Wish it had black ink, plan to refill with black when the purple original runs out. The buttons kept hitting in my pocket, unlocking the unit which then allows the 4-digit ID to sequence which messes up my Dr ID #. I took a 15 scapel and cut the buttons down flush with the unit -- no more problems. I can still press the flush buttons with a pen if I need to program the stamper. Highly recommend. Looking forward to a smaller, lighter unit one day.
on May 13, 2013
I followed all the instructions for setting up. and it just printed gibberish. I re-set and started over 3 times with no change in results. I called Dymo customer service, and they told me that it was probably a refurbished unit that another vendor was selling. They sent me a replacement at no charge, even though they were not the Amazon vendor. It worked perfectly and I'm very happy with it. I would advise anyone who wants this product to go directly to Dymo or one of their official outlets, Staples or Office Depot. So my low rating is for the refurbished one, but I would rank the new one a 5, and I rank Dymo 5++++ because they made good on a product I didn't even purchase from them.
on September 13, 2011
We purchased this item when our company time clock died. It fits in the palm of your hand and works well for stamping dates on papers. However the employees found it irritating. It's not hard to use, but it takes a few seconds of concentration to stamp properly, something half awake employees usually don't have. This item is office friendly, and I recommend it for office use, not employee use.
on February 26, 2013
I am a physician and have to sign and date notes multiple times per day which gets laborious and error prone. I thought this device was a great idea. Simple quick stamp and have your documents officially times instead of having to look at your watch to do so. Problem is:
1. The device is big and heavy and not so easy to carry around with you. Stil that would be worth it if it worked.
2. The print out is very small, and the inking is inadequate, making it hard to read and often illegible completely.
3. Even with applying ink regularly to the pad, it does not work well. You usually have to run it twice to make an impression equal to your ink pen. .. and moreover, the date prints well but the time often doesn't.
4. You have to press down hard... and i mean forcibly to get date and time to print and then cross your fingers it works.
5. The batteries come loose in the compartment and the device has zero's out. You then have to reprogram the whole thing which is time consuming given the non intuitive logistics for this. You best have the instruction manual handy. I have reprogramed the infernal device a dozen times in the first month of using it.
6. It doesn't have the option to have your name put in with the date. For people who sign illegibly wouldn't this have been nice. Perhaps room for a call back number. Instead you can only use pre programmed messages such as Rec, Fwd, or other business logo that you may not need or want anyway.

Don't buy this thing. But would somebody please invent one that works, is light and easy to carry and addressed the above at a reasonable price? You'd make a bundle.
on January 26, 2013
I bought this product for my employees to stamp in and out of work - with out having to purchase a very expensive time clock. It works effortlessly with its simplicity. It just works for me PERIOD. IN/OUT date and time - BOOM.

I am sure it has other great purposes - for billing and filling - but as a time clock it works great for my small office.