4.0 out of 5 stars Nice handheld label printer with QWERTY keyboard.
Published on March 23, 2012 by Nathan Kull

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak effort
Published on May 1, 2012 by Typical Geek

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice handheld label printer with QWERTY keyboard., March 23, 2012
This review is from: DYMO LabelManager 160 Hand Held Label Maker (Office Product)
Most of the handheld label printers are built using ABC keybaords vs. the QWERTY keyboard, and that was a key factor in my decision to buy this scanner. Some people have claimed that using DYMO label makers vs. Brother label makers will save money as the DYMO does waste less label when printing, this is both true and false --- I will explain more further down in this review.

I would like to add to this review a comment about batteries, there has been multiple comments about this label maker "eating batteries"; I have used up trial cartridge and many labels into my second cartridge and have not changed the batteries in this unit. I am using Eneloop Rechargeable batteries and they have performed flawlessly. Keep in mind that this would be a higher drain type of device when printing and cheap "Super Duty" (Non-alkaline or cheap Rechargeable) batteries are probably not going to work well. As always, I recommend the investment in Eneloop batteries with a good charger (LaCrosse BC-700)

PROs:
- Handheld form factor
- Easy to use
- Prints nice looking labels
- QWERTY Keyboard

CONs:
- NO access to any special charactors except via menus (i.e. if you need a "-" or a "." on your label, there is NO button for this and you have to go into the symbol menu to find the symbol you want) ... This is annoying and is the reason that this label maker looses one star (most of my labels include "-" or "." in them)

****************************************************************************************
*** The truth about actual label costs (Pictures will be attached to this review) ***

I printed out labels using a Brother P-Touch PT-2030 and the DYMO LabelManager 160 and these were the results of my findings:

As of the time of this writing, the DYMO 1/2" D-1 label roll is selling for $14 and includes 23 feet (276 inches) of label
As of the time of this writing, the Brother 1/2" P-Touch label roll is selling for $11 and includes 26.2 feet (314 inches) of label

I printed two labels that had this text in 24pt BOLD "TEST-XX-01"

The DYMO label that was printed including wasted space on both sides was 2.75" in length which would allow 100 labels to be printed on a $14 roll
*** $0.14 per label
The Brother label that was printed including wasted space on both sides was 4" in length which would allow 78 labels to be printed on the $11 roll
*** $0.14 per label
*** TIE ***

I printed two labels that had this text in 24pt BOLD "255.255.255.255"
The DYMO label that was printed including wasted space on both sides was 3.375" (3 3/8") in length which would allow 81 labels on $14 roll
*** $0.17 per label
The Brother label that was printed including wasted space on both sides was 4.5" in length which would allow 69 labels on a $11 roll
*** $0.16 per label
*** BROTHER WINS ***

The DYMO would win with smaller labels, it seems that my first label tested is about the tie breaker in size.

Bottom line:
If you print SMALL labels, you will get more for your money using a DYMO label printer with less waste per label
If you print larger labels, you will get more for your money using a BROTHER label printer even though it waste more per label
The DYMO generally prints more labels per roll than the brother, even though there is less label per cart, however the Brother label is cheaper at this time.

There is also the consideration that you might be ok with the extra tape used by the dymo, and that you might hate how much extra tape is used with the brother, ... How much time might you spend trimming brother labels because they are huge?

They are both great label makers ... I hope this review helps someone make an informed decision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplest to use and great results!, March 4, 2012
Neatnik203 (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
I am a professional organizer, so I have used a few different label makers. This one is by far the simplest to use and gives great results! It does not waste tape (like the P-Touch by Brother which spits out huge margins so you keep having to buy more tape constantly!) The buttons on this Dymo are very intuitive. I didn't even have to read the directions to figure out how to use it. The font sizes are adjustable with the push of one button and they are called "8 point," "10 point," "12 point," etc. just like on a computer, so you know generally how big they are instead of just calling them "small," "medium," and "large." You can also underline, bold and change the orientation of the label with the touch of one simple button. Same with making the label have multiple lines of text. I am so happy to have finally found a simple, economical label maker! The last label maker I liked was also a Dymo and I used it happily for years. Then I had a P-touch that ate both tape and batteries like crazy! This Dymo is brand new, so I can't speak to its longevity yet, but so far, I'm very impressed!

4.0 out of 5 stars more expensive to use than similar Brother label makers, April 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using the cheapest Brother label makers for years. Never had a problem with them. Brother replacement label tapes are widely available and pretty cheap.

This Dymo labeler is very comparable to the cheap Brother label makers. The product is shaped a little differently, but about the same general size. Dymo uses 6 AAA batteries instead of the 6 AA in the Brother, but the Dymo is still a little heavier. Features are about the same and print quality is about the same. Price for the label maker is about the same.

Of the two, I have to recommend Brother because the replacement labeling tapes are much cheaper. Here on Amazon, Dymo tapes are $11.36 (list price $19.99) for 1/2" x 23' tapes. Brother tapes are $6.89 (list price $12.99) for 1/2" x 26' tapes. That's double the price for the tapes. If you use a lot of tapes, that adds up pretty quickly.

4 stars because this product works as advertised. Knocking off one star because of the cost of the replacement tapes compared to the competition.

Price comparison for the tapes:
DYMO Labeling Tape, D1, Split Back , adhesive, Easy Peel, ˝" x 23', (45013), Black Print on White Tape
Brother M231 1/2-Inch Black on White Tape for P-Touch Labeler

3.0 out of 5 stars Weak effort, May 1, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It print labels. That's what it's supposed to do. But my ten year old Ptouch is easier to use. I didn't think the user interface was that big a deal but this one made me realize I'm wrong. And the biggest knock is six AAA batteries. My old PTouch lasts for a few years of use and sitting around with four AA's. I burned through the AAA's in the DYMO quickly. I liked the full-sized QWERTY keyboard. That's nice. I didn't have the feeding issues others have had. I don't like the setup. I have to tell it what size tape I am using. Maybe a sensor would have driven the price to high. I don't like manuals so I liked that it didn't come with one...just a small "start-up" sheet. But if you need a manual, there's not one. I doubt you will need one though. But I knocked it down a star for AAA's that don't last as long and the fact the user interface is clunky

Pros
1) Full-sized QWERTY keyboard
2) Prints with less waste than my PTouch
3) Prints quickly with little noise

Cons
1) Six AAA's
2) Not enough special characters on keyboard. Have to use menu
3) Expensive replacement labels

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice Little Label Maker, DYMO still has an Issue with labels NOT Sticking, April 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have been using Dymo label makers for over 30 years, going back to the embossed labels you cranked-out one letter at a time in the late 70's and early 80's. I am a true believer in using labels to help people put items back in the correct place, whether it be in drawers, on hangers, or electronic wires. The Dymo LabelManager 160 is the low end model of a series, and compared to several previous models I have owned, see picture, it is easier to use has easy-to-access features like bold printing, underlining, bordering, and even landscape versus portrait printing at the touch of a button, and it produces very little waste when printing labels.

It is not all peaches and cream, though, for to access special characters, you have to use one of two special character keys, and press it until you get the character you need, then press that key.

Operation-wise, it is fairly intuitive, and that is good because there are little to no instructions. A visit to the Dymo Internet site shows two pdf manuals available: one is tri-fold pamphlet that shows less than the insert supplied with the label maker (I have scanned it and uploaded it as a picture), and the other is a generalize brochure that shows their various label makers, only it does not include the 160 or its predecessor the 150. Thankfully, it is fairly intuitive. I did notice that in loading the label in the back, you need to make sure a little of the "D1" label is sticking out, say 1/2 inch, or the label will be crunched-up as it is printed the first time you use it.

I use several label makers around the house, and while I have several Dymo label makers, I do not use them as much as my P-Touch makers because the glue that holds a label to an item, either when I am labeling plastic drawers or sticking the label back to itself to label a wire, is not as good as that on the P-Touch. This month, when I saw the chance to test this new model Dymo label maker, I was hoping, since five years had passed since I last used my other Dymo label maker, the glue used on the labels would be stronger. It was a little, but a simple test of placing the new Dymo label tape along with tapes from a previous model and a P-Touch, showed the Dymo label still comes lose from itself, albeit it is not as much as what the old tape did. I have posted a picture that shows how much a label comes 'unstuck' from itself after two days.

Overall, I would say that Dymo has done a good job in making the LabelManager easy to use. Unfortunately, when I use a label maker I expect the labels to stay attached for years, not weeks, or months, or even days, when used to label wires. I have to give it only two stars in this review. Perhaps, if you want to put some other type of glue on the labels after you print them out, that would probably help, but wouldn't it be better if Dymo made a label tape that stuck to things, including itself, better?

1.0 out of 5 stars I must have gotten a bad unit, January 11, 2013
After reading all the glowing reviews of this product, I went ahead and bought one. All I can say is that my unit must be defective. I started by printing a label of all capital letters from A to Z in the default font and size, and many letters are smeared and/or smudged. I also got a "low battery" warning, with 6 completely new AAAs. So I cycled the power and printed N-ZA-M to see if the position of the letters in the string made a difference. Different letters had poor quality, but the position in the string was not a factor. I got another "low battery" warning again, and had to turn the unit off. So I tested each battery with a ZTS tester, which evaluates each battery under load. All the batteries were fine.

I'm returning this unit. I'll try to post a picture of my two labels. You won't need to zoom in too far to see the smudges and smears.

3.0 out of 5 stars Prefer older model, May 16, 2012
moolane "moolane" (Black River Falls, WI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have an older model label maker from DYMO - a "Letratag" that I purchased for under $20 from Walmart many years ago. I loved this label maker and it served me faithfully until last year when it stopped printing correctly (producing very light type, even with new tape). Therefore, when I was given the opportunity to try out this newer label maker through the Vine program I jumped at the chance. Unfortunately, however, this newer model does not hold a candle to the Letratag. It is bigger, bulkier and flat in shape (not curved like the Letratag), so it is harder for me to hold in my very small hands. Also, I have to really mash on the buttons to get it to turn on and off. Seems to me that would make the product wear out very quickly.

This labelmaker does have more clipart than the Letratag, but it can be frustrating scrolling through the myriad images to come up with the one you want. Perhaps there is an easier way to do this, but the label maker didn't come with a manual. It came with a slip of paper with a website link. I can't imagine that would be very helpful to someone who doesn't own a computer or isn't computer literate.

My final pet peeve is that this label maker requires six AAA batteries. I haven't used it enough to determine how long the batteries last, but this seems like an excessive amount of batteries for a small device.

1.0 out of 5 stars DOA Junk, April 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
i hope it's an exception, but my unit arrived DOA.
It suffered almost every problem a label printer can experience.
1. It drains battery power like crazy. it takes 6 AAA batteries (can't believe this) and I put 6 brand new AAA batteries in there and it displays battery low. I put another 6 freshly recharged AAA batteries in there and still display low battery.
2. The little to nothing demo label included just keep jamming. After toggling with it a few times, finally sits snug inside the 2 rectangle arms holding the label feed. However, the cutting blade is so dull if you don't hold the cutter press down hard, you risk ripping the entire label out when pulling. And this will cause it to jam and fall out of the feed holder.
3. It just won't print. I am virtually out of the initial blank label that came in the box and it has not printed a readable label yet.

I have used Epson, Brother label printers and this by far is the worst label printer I have used.
If I could, it wouldn't even get 1 star.

In the trash it will go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish it came with the charger!, March 19, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have 2 dymo label machines. I rarely use this one because it uses 6 (six!) AAA batteries. I don't understand why they design things to use so many little batteries instead of a few big ones. I have seen the charger available for a price more than the label maker itself! Even the 3rd party chargers are close in price.

Label wise...it is nice. Very smooth and simple to use. And I like to label LOTS of things! TIP: if you are trying to put a label on a plastic bin (like for holiday decorations, kids toys, etc.), the labels don't stick well. BUT! If you leave the manufacturer's sticker on, you can place the label right on that sticker and it will stay. I have cut the sticker to a size similar to the dymo label, then stuck it back on and it sticks just as well (if you don't like looking at that store sticker.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh!, March 11, 2014
Just opened the label maker box with all of my files out and ready to get labeled! Oh no, there is a paper jam - so the label maker says. I looked on the internet and seems this is a common problem for this brand. How frustrating. I will update this review "IF" I can get this thing to reset or something so I can print - something ANYTHING. I would not recommend this label maker to anyone... anyone.
*Update: After reading on the net how others fixed the problem one person mentioned an ingenious method - banged it on the desk. And, this worked. The label maker is now working just fine and is easy to use (NOW). I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I would recommend purchasing this one.

DYMO LabelManager 160 Hand Held Label Maker