Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Style: Labeler|Size: 1-Pack|Change

on January 20, 2013
I sell a lot of items on Ebay and I recently purchased this printer for the sole purpose of creating 4x6 inch Ebay Shipping Labels on a Mac. I was worried about whether I could get it to work because I've read about the various problems other people have been having getting it configured and the fact that Label Printers are not officially supported on the Mac. I'm pretty good at figuring things out so I took a chance and bought it. Long story short, I had to come up with my own solution in the end, but I ultimately got it to work quite easily. And I am now happily printing out perfect 4x6 inch Shipping Labels on a Mac. The printer is working flawlessly and the labels I'm printing are perfect. Therefore, this is a printer I highly recommend even if you're using a Mac. Below are the step-by-step instructions on how to got it to work:

*********

How To Print Perfect 4x6 Shipping Labels from Ebay usng the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL Printer and a Mac...

Most users selling items on Ebay already have their computer set up to print labels to their laser printer and to other kinds of printers, and for PC users, that also includes to Label Printers as well, such as the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer. Unfortunately for Mac users, Label Printers are not officially supported. The good news is, there is an easy way for Mac users to make use of the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer as well, and can easily print out perfect 4 inch by 6 inch shipping labels every single time. The following explains how...

For Mac users, when printing a label via Ebay, on the page that says "Purchase and Print USPS Postage", once you've clicked the button that says "Purchase Postage" to buy your label, a secondary page should open allowing you to print your label. It is on that secondary page that we will choose certain options which will allow us to print directly to the DYMO Laserwriter 4XL printer with a Mac, and we can get perfect results every time. The following are my step-by-step instructions...

Step 1 - After clicking on the "Purchase Postage" button and arriving on the secondary page, click the button above the label window that says "Print Label". This will open up a Print Dialog Box to allow you to select your printing options. Note, we will NOT be printing from this particular Print Dialog Box at this time because we first have to "crop" the label. To accomplish this, ignore all settings and options in the current Print Dialog Box. Instead, at the bottom of the Print Dialog Box window, click the button that says "Preview". This will open the entire label including your receipt in a separate window in Apple's Preview program. We will now use the "Crop" tool in Apple's Preview program to "crop" the label from the page...

Step 2 - Once the label is open in Apple's Preview program, you may notice that it is now oriented sideways. Don't worry about the orientation. It will still print correctly once we're done. In Apple's Preview program, choose the rectangular selection tool and select the area around the label where you want it to be cropped (I generally select an area about a 1/4 inch around the entire label). Once the area has been selected, choose "Crop" from the Tool menu (this crops out the receipt and all other unnecessary portions of the page). All that is left is your label, perfectly cropped, and ready for printing. Note, before you proceed further, make sure your DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer is connected to your computer and turned on, and that all software has been installed...

Step 3 - From the File menu (still in Apple's Preview program) choose the "Print" command. This opens up the Print Dialog box again. We will now choose certain printing options in this dialog box...

a. In the Print Dialog box, from the pull-down menu that says "Printer", choose the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL as your printer. (Note, your DYMO LabelWriter 4XL must be connected and turned on at this time in order for it to show up under this menu)...

b. VERY IMPORTANT - Under the pull-down menu for "Paper Size", scan down through the list of sizes and choose the preset that says: "1744907 4 in x 6 in". This option will match your cropped label to the 4 inch x 6 inch labels in the 4XL printer (otherwise, it will print at the wrong size).

c. ALSO IMPORTANT - Under the Scaling Options, choose the "Scale to Fit" option and also the "Print Entire Image" option (this scales your label image down to fit within the 4 in x 6 in label space without any portion of it being cropped off).

d. Under the pull-down menu that says "Preview", pull down the menu and choose "DYMO Options". For the "Print Quality" setting, change the menu from "Text Only" to "Barcode and Graphics". For the "Print Density" setting, change the menu from "Low" to "High" (this tells the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL to print the label with maximum density and with maximum contrast).

e. All options have now been set. We are now ready to print. Click the "Print" button at the bottom of the window. Your DYMO 4XL printer should begin printing, and should print out a perfect 4x6 shipping label every single time...

By following the above, I've been happily printing out perfect 4x6 shipping labels from Ebay using a DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer and a Mac. And it's been working without a hitch...

**********

IMPORTANT UPDATE: For those of you who are using the Mac program Garage Sale when selling items on Ebay, an excellent shipping option to complement Garage Sale is the shipping program called "Endicia" (it costs about $16 per month). Not only does Endicia provide direct USPS Parcel Select support (which Ebay won't offer until March), but I've also learned that Endicia is fully integrated into Garage Sale. Meaning, once you have both Garage Sale and Endicia installed on your computer, and you then make an Ebay sale, in the Inspector Palette of Garage Sale there is an option you can choose which allows you to "ship the item with Endicia". By choosing that option from within Garage Sale, Garage Sale will then automatically find and launch your Endicia application, and the best part of all is that (...GET THIS!!!...) when Endicia opens, it will already be pre-populated with all your Ebay sale data! That's right, you won't have to copy and paste anything because all your Ebay details for the transaction will already be imported into Endicia and you'll be ready to print your label. All you have to do is just verify everything you see, make any changes needed, and then Print your shipping label. It's so easy. And did I mention that the Endicia for Mac program also offers direct support for the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer. That's right. Ebay doesn't offer any Label Printer support for Mac users, Paypal doesn't offer it, Stamps.com doesn't offer it, but Endicia DOES! There is a preference option in the Endicia for Mac program where Mac users can now print directly to the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer without any fuss or problems at all. I've been printing 4x6 labels using Endicia and the 4XL and it's been working like a charm. The 4x6 shipping labels are coming out perfect (even better than printing them via Ebay as outlined above). Endicia and Garage Sale are like a match made in heaven. I've found very few things otherwise to complain about. If you want a great Ebay shipping option solution that truly works on a Mac and is designed for a Mac, then Garage Sale and Endicia and the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL printer is your ticket.
2323 comments|94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2010
I bought this printer hoping to use it on Ebay Paypal to print shipping labels. Well it works perfectly as a label printer on Paypal/Ebay. It has saved me a ton of time and worth the money I spent since I ship frequently.

For example in paypal if I have to ship ten orders using the multi shipping tool I print all ten labels at once. You have the option of printing a packing sheet to a regular printer that tells you what is to be packed in each order for the labels just printed. You need to know the weight for each shipment before printing the labels though.

Its appears that the Dymo printer is compatible with Zebra printers. Use the multi shipping tool in Paypal and set your printer to a Zebra 4X6 printer. If you are not using multi shipment in Paypal be sure to set your printer type to thermal and pick one of the Zebra 4X6 printers.

Other reviewers said the printer jams frequently. I have no such problem. What I think may have happened to that reviewer was they did not discard the first labels. Before you install a new roll for the first time you have to remove a small piece of tape from the roll. Unfortunately that tape leaves a sticky residue on one of the exposed labels. If you use that label it will put that same sticky residue in the printer causing labels to stick and jam. Dont take the chance and just get rid of the first 2 or three labels on the roll.

One reviewer said the labels fade with time. Well its a "thermal" printer and almost every device that prints on thermal paper the "ink" fades. Its actually heat the "colors" the paper and that type of paper fades over time. That is a fact of thermal technology not a problem with the printer.

Extra credit: Take those labels you discard from the new roll and put them in direct sunlight for a few days.
2626 comments|151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2010
Well, I had this for a few weeks, so I can't speak for some of the complaints, but I do use this in combination with Endicia to ship packages off and it works very well. Before this, I had multiple Zebra 2844.

For those who ship a lot, the Zebra 2844 (EPL) is the standard with most 4x6 labels made for it. It retails for $100-200 more than this machine, but is available ubiquitously used on ebay in the sub-$100 range. Once you get them up and running, they often print without fail.

However, the 2844's are a complete pain in the behind to set-up. We're talking playing with settings and inconsistent software from the manufacturer itself. Sometimes I d/l 3-4 software packages before the 2844 even responded at all, let alone correctly. All this wouldn't be so bad except on my Windows Desktop, if I so much as unplugged the usb cord to the computer for whatever reason (say I was moving it), and replugged it 5 minutes later in the very same USB slot, the computer wouldn't remember the printer at all, and the nightmarish set-up process would begin anew. Not acceptable. Maybe this was because the 2844 accepted parallel and serial port input as well, and USB was an afterthought in the design? Whatever the reason, it's very plug-and-play unfriendly. Also, when the computer went to sleep, the unit needed to be restarted or it would fail to respond. The third defect was that everytime I printed out a shipping label, between 1 and 7 blank labels followed. This wasn't always the case, but it was when I had to reinstall the driver and I could never figure it out. I experienced these defects on both a 2004 and 2007 manufactured 2844, so I would say these aren't random issues.

A while back, I got a notebook that replaced my desktop, I would move around, so plugging and unplugging the USB cords became a fact of life, so enter the 4XL. I always liked dymo's smaller models, they just worked, and this one was no different. You first install the very friendly software (whether d/led or from CD) and then any of their printers and the computer recognizes it without hesitation. I can plug my older Labelwriter 400 or my new 4XL or both and there will be no problems, whether the dymo label software is actively running or not (I use endicia instead). It prints without problem. I never had it jam. Can't say much more about it.

As to any jamming, I would recommend when installing any new rolls of labels that are sealed at the end with adhesive tape, thow away the labels the tape was on so any adhesive residue never enters the mechanism. That may be a source of the problem people are experiencing.

As for fading, this is a thermal printer and inherent to all thermal printers. Think of receipts as well that fade, as many are of the same technology. However, a nice dark print comes out of this that will last longer than those cheap receipts, so I have no fear shipping items, however long, long term labels for household items may require a second thought. They are affected by direct sunlight the most. Look up thermal printers in wikipedia for more info.

If I had a complaint, it's the cost of the rolls. Dymo is ridiculously expensive, wanting nearly $0.16 a label. Although 4x6 labels are an industry standard with many makers, the dymo labels are slightly different with a oblong hole between each label, perhaps telling the printer where to stop. I'm not sure. I still have the zebra labels, but I haven't had a chance to see if they worked in this machine. Dymo warns you not to use any 3rd party labels, but that's because of profit motive.

However, I see 3rd party compatible labels for this machine at a well known site called labelvalue. An excellent site, I got my zebra labels there for $0.051 (5.1 cents) a label. The dymo compatible labels are much cheaper than the "real thing" at $0.086 (8.6 cents) a label. For a small time operation, not a big difference. Figuring that I was throwing away 1-7 labels on the zebra per print, I still come out ahead.

I just have a small business and ship a dozen items a day. The dymo serves me well. If you ship day and night, and have a desktop dedicated to shipping (where the cords will absolutely never be touched), a zebra may be better, sturdier and cheaper in the long haul.
66 comments|95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2015
Useless for Paypal/eBay.
I'll be concise at the beginning, just in case you don't want to read the whole review.
I thought that I would choose a shipping label on eBay/Paypal, set printer preferences on either site, select the Dymo 4XL on my PC and print the label. Sounds easy, doesn't it? I printed 30+ labels and none of them worked. In short, do not buy this. It doesn't work and Dymo DOES NOT SUPPORT IT.
On to the longer review.
I am very tech savvy. You name it, I can do it. There is nothing in the last 20 years I haven't been able to figure out, even bringing totally dead phones back to life. I do know what I am doing.
I ordered this on a Daily Deals. $115. I print shipping labels and my wife is a label nut. Back in 2001 I started dabbling on eBay and since then I've owned about 10 printers with zero issues.
The first problem with the Dymo is that it doesn't play nice with Windows 8 or 3.0 USB. Yes, it doesn't support 3.0 so in my case I had to resurrect an older laptop. Fortunately that laptop had Windows 7 because the Dymo 4XL does not install on Windows 8 as a printer. No, no, no, that would be too easy. It installs as an "unspecified device". A bit of searching and I realized that Windows 8 and the Dymo were not going to be friends.
The install on the older Win 7 HP system went fine and it recognized the 4XL as a printer. Lovely stuff.
So, on to the settings. I should have known there would be trouble as soon as Dymo's own tech support suggests installing this as a Zebra printer. I went and did it anyway, followed instructions to the letter, hit print and voila!:; a beautiful mosaic of my shipping label spread nicely over 3 labels. Hmmm. Maybe I have the orientation wrong, so I changed it. Now I have a 5 label mosaic.
Back online to do some searching. People seem to suggest that things work better over on eBay.
On eBay I followed numerous suggestions from fellow users, and Dymo support but still nothing. Results varied from half labels printing to SEVEN label mosaic. I tucked the printer away and waited for Dymo tech support to open on Monday morning.
Monday morning I went to Dymo tech support chat. Probably the biggest waste of time in my life. The "tech" guy pasted a whole long "fix". I said thanks and went off to try it. One of those "fixes" was to change the label to 99019 Lever Arch. That seemed very odd, but who I am to argue?
Followed the instructions to the letter and...do I really need to say? The one label came out like a toilet roll at a soccer match. Back to tech support. I decided to be a bit more firm. I told him it was a "Formatting/settings" issue. He recommended I clean it! I repeated it was settings issue and he recommended a power cycle! I repeated that it was a settings issue and he asked if I was using Dymo branded labels. $$#@@!#. I repeated it and he told me to contact Paypal for support. I checked the calendar. Why did I check the calendar? Just to make sure its 2015.
Windows 8 was released Oct 20102 and USB 3.0 has been available easily since the same time yet Dymo hasn't notice.
People have been printing labels from eBay and Paypal for who knows how long but Dymo haven't round to supporting that either.
I probably printed my first label online back in the early 2000s. It would have been USPS click and ship and it would have been on an Epson printer I purchased back around 2000. I don't think it was too much to expect that some 15 years on that Dymo could have gotten round to making something that acts a little like a plug and play.
Tech support suggested a I copy the label in to Dymo's own software. That totally defeats the purpose of this machine. It is supposed to remove steps, not add to them.
All in all I have about 5 hours in this thing. The pictured attached shows the labels I kept and not the first few that got binned.
People say Zebra is plug and play so I'll probably give that a go. Thank goodness for Amazon's excellent return policy.
review image
66 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2011
I currently own a Zebra LP 2844 thermal printer to print all my 4x6 shipping labels. Then I bought this Dymo 4XL because it was about $200 cheaper than a brand new zebra and I need to print lots of labels.

After using both units for a couple of days I would say that this Dymo printer is slightly BETTER than Zebra in terms of SPEED and ease of use. Both units seem to be very well built. I have used the zebra for over 4 years without a glitch, time will tell if the dymos are equally welll built.

The single biggest problem with this dymo printer is that it REQUIRES labels with index holes. There is a photo-sensor located on the bottom left of the printer head. Labels without index holes will cause a printing error saying "the printer is out of paper". The zebras can use labels with or without index holes.

For those who buy cheap third-party labels make sure they are index holed or your printer wont recognize it.
I took out one-star because of this issue. Other than this, the dymo prints great!
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2012
I installed the printer as suggested in the quick start. Printed a test label from the Dymo user interface, worked great. I went to ship from UPS.com, and that's when the trouble began. There is no built-in support for this. It seems that others are satisfied with taking screen shots, cropping, printing, etc. By the time you do that, you might as well be back to using your laser printer, scissors, and shipping tape.

I researched it on Dymo's website, turns out they don't claim to support shipping UPS labels. They say that you have to use iable:
[...]

This didn't work either. I jumped through the hoops to use iable's free version with just UPS shipping, and it printed my labels about 2/3 scale. No options to fix it. I toyed with all kinds of default printer settings, called tech support to no avail. No-go iable.

Did a few google searches, turns out that Quickbooks supports printing shipping labels for UPS. This actually turned out to work, since I use QB anyway. I didn't set it up as a thermal printer, as QB doesn't support this one natively. However, I set it up as a laser / inkjet printer, then set the margins to 0 instead of the default 0.2. This works perfectly.

After getting it set up, it seems to work great. I'm a light user, perhaps 2-3 shipments a week. All the hassle probably wasn't worth it, but now I've got a solution that works. So if you already have Quickbooks, and want to ship UPS labels with a thermal printer, this works great. Hope this saves someone else some time.
on May 24, 2015
Nice label printer for shipping. Unfortuneatly if you ship from Amazon, UPS or DSL etc. It does not support the firmware. You have to go and make custom sizes for you labels or purchase the software from the carrier for it to work properly.
on December 6, 2010
The only jam I have ever gotten with this printer was because I was cheap with the labels. I inserted a label that had partially "label glue" on it. And it ended up jamming in the process. However other then that, the printer has treated me way too good. No headaches, prints up to 50+ labels per day. However other than the functions of it printing shipping labels, you can print words or other documents you build on the program provided with this label printer. It's very easy to use the program. In terms of the shipping labels, sometimes it will not print or detect the first label of the roll. You would end up having to rip the first label out which becomes a single label. You can not reinsert it into the machine to use it. The printer does not detect it after the hole of the label rips because it detects individual labels by the two holes inbetween. It really sucks since it wastes some of the labels. I haven't clean the label for 2 months now, and it's still printing crispy black!

UPDATE 5/7/11

I change my mind! This is horrid. I think I terribly jinxed it! After a month, the dymo started printing a BLANK LINE in the middle of my shipping label! Which means.. partially my tracking is cut off! Fine.. spent about a week e-mailing back and forth with the CS and had to spend around $15 to send back the labelwriter to Dymo Repair Center. I believe after a week or two after delivery I received my repaired dymo back! Me.. all jolly and happy. I went ahead and attempted to print a label. THERE IT GOES AGAIN! A horrifying WHITE LINE! I quickly e-mailed with the customer service, he says that I will have to ship back the dymo again at my own cost. UNFAIR! UNFAIR UNFAIR! I try to call customer service, go on live chat.. no ONE answers. I will upload a picture of how they had attempted to fix my dymo.

UPDATE 7/5/11

I did get a BRAND NEW replacement of the Dymo afterwards after a month of emailing back and forth. I did not have to pay for any of the return shipments as prepaid labels were provided.
review image
on January 12, 2016
We ship exclusively by USPS Priority Flat Rate and I purchased the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL as I had read it has the ability to print directly from the USPS website. Not so! I was unable to configure the printer settings, or USPS website settings, to get the correct orientation for printing. Very Frustrating!

I called DYMO Tech Support and was told they do not offer support of their product when used with USPS. They only offer support when you use their DYMOstamps site or another site that charges a monthly fee.

I was close to sending it back, but decided to look around for a fix. After more time than I care to admit looking for an answer, I pasted together the fix below that is not ideal but works for me as I am not shipping everyday. I'm using my PC for printing.

How To Print From USPS Website to DYMO LabelWriter 4XL:

1. From the USPS Website choose PDF instead of Print Label.
2. Open or Save PDF (I open the PDF to save steps, but you can Save if you want to print later). Your file will likely open with Adobe Reader.
3. Choose View --> Rotate View --> Clockwise (or counterclockwise, or 90 degrees - just be sure the image is in Portrait view)
4. Choose Edit --> Take a Snapshot
5. Select/Highlight the label's 4x6ish area.
6. Right click in the highlighted area and select Print.
7. Choose the DYMO LabelWriter 4XL from your printer options and print. Voila, a perfect print every time!

Also under your Printer --> Properties --> Advanced, be sure to set the Paper Size to 4in x 6in (1744907).

This takes about a half dozen clicks to get the job done, but it beats the old paper, print, scissor and tape method I was using for so long.

I hope this saves someone time and frustration. Feel free to let me know if you have a better fix!

The 4XL was easy to install and connect, and it does print quickly and quietly.
on October 21, 2011
Bought this from Amazon as I needed a replacement for my older Zebra label printer. Big mistake! This thing pretty much only prints on DYMO labels. It needs a special hole in the sheet to know when the label goes through. The bigger problem is that you only have a dozen or so labels to choose from. The standard 4x3 label - nope. Dymo doesnt make it, not does it allow for telling the printer that you are using a "custom" size label. As for the Mac driver - that's a hassle. It's a manual setup with a CUPS driver. Ultimately it works - but that would not be for the average office worker as the directions are wrong. Amazon performed exceptionally as usual and shipped fast and took it back no problem.
66 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse