22 of 24 people found the following review helpful
on July 23, 2013
I got this in March as a FAOTD. It is repeating as a FAOTD in July 2013. In both cases, the app has permissions that allow the phone to be always searching the internet. This makes the battery die quickly! Additionally, I'm not sure what info keeps getting uploaded from my phone. I decided the game is just not worth my privacy so I have deleted it.
39 of 47 people found the following review helpful
on July 23, 2013
seeing the horrible permissions on this, and the general lack of creativity in the app, I thought I would look to find a better option. after one minute search, I found "Word Pyramid" by shockblast entertainment. fewer permissions and only 856 Kb... no open feint or any doo doo like that.
21 of 25 people found the following review helpful
on November 28, 2011
Unfortunately, the game "concept" is pretty darn cool. But too many issues are taking hits at this app. Let's review (for the second time, this is an update):
Yeah, the gameplay aspect is fun: You make your big word first, trying not to use up your vowels (with words that begin or end with strings such as "str..." "...dly". The proceed to the 5 letter word, then the 4, then the 3, etc., until you reach the point where your two-letter word is not a word (LOL). Then you tweak here and there, one letter at a time, borrowing and experimenting, until, voila!... you come up with 6 words the game accepts. Fair enough as a general concept.
These are the issues that need to be dealt with for this app to be a 5-star winner, at least in my opinion:
1. The MASSIVE DATA added to the cache. After playing a few rounds, about 3 games, the app settings ADDED 7 MB OF DATA. The app was 20 mb or so, and then the DATA added was 7 mb. I clicked "delete data" to get whatever it was that was being added to the phone OFF the phone. My question is, can the developer answer that question as to WHAT the heck this app adds to your phone that's 7 FULL MB OF DATA after playing 3 games on a new app? After playing 20 or so games (just to re-test this out, as this is a re-review of the app), a massive data collection is still there, exactly 6.46 mb to be exact. Can the developer inform us as to why that happens and what it is... Pretty Please??
2. The FREEZE UPS. I'm not the only one complaining about this. At the end of a game, it either gives you a whole bunch of fireworks (if you got all 6 words, your choice or theirs), or it animates through rescrambling the letters to show you the six words you could/should have made. But that's the screen on which it often freezes, and the only way out is a battery pull. That alone makes the game almost something you dread opening when trying to kill time, because you're not in the mood to go through wasting 5 minutes on THAT TASK rather than having some fun for 5 minutes (the original plan). Timed games should have somewhat of a control on speed, for those of us who don't look forward to playing that mode for the aforementioned reasons, and should be added.... Pretty Please??
3. The GIVE UPs. Okay, there IS button you can click if you "give up." Let's say you don't want the full 5-minute time to run, and you did your best, and you just don't think you can rescramble everything in 1 minute and 20 seconds and are willing to take the loss of points on the two letter word that reads "ZX." You can click the "give up" button, sure, but you LOSE ALL YOUR POINTS for that puzzle you solved and got 5 correct on. So...WHY? Why does "give up" have to mean you want to see the solved puzzle AND lose all the points YOU were able to get? I could see if you made NO words LOL, almost impossible, but why??? The only way to see the solved puzzle is to sit there and stare at the screen with your five big words and one little double-consonant two-letter word and watch the timer tick down... 1:28.... 1:27..... 1:27.... (go to the bathroom or look at the sky).... 1:08... 0:45.... REALLY. That's the biggest waste of time I have ever seen in a game of this type: having to let a timer run out while doing nothing but waiting for it to hit zero, just to keep your points. UNBELIEVABLE. That makes the "give up" button worthless in my book. Because ANYONE can make 1 or 2 words from 21 letters, and even THAT score is better than the one you get with "Give Up." So it needs a fix.... Pretty Please??
4. The NO EXIT BUTTON. Does this really need exlaining? Probably not. But, c'mon, put a lousy exit button in the app! No, not one that is just a fancy way of "backspacing" out of the app, cause I already have one of them thingys on my phone, like everybody else here. I don't want to be FOOLED into thinking you've exited me out fully and won't come back. You actually have to DO IT. But there IS no exit button on this app... not even one of the "I fooled you" kind.
5. The unnecessary EGO FEEDING. Every time I complete a puzzle with all 6 words, it tells me about a new milestone I have hit. I don't mind seeing that every time I have a great streak or a new high score, but it's flat out lying to me. Every single completed puzzle is the "new high score," even though I darn well know what the score was (the game shows you your collective score right at the top of the screen as you play), and I also know darn well that the last one I completed wasn't the highest score I ever had. I don't mind it telling me the truth, really, because that's frankly not the reason I played it. I will accept the award, the new high streak numbers, and even the new high score for a given game... but only when the numbers ring true. Therefore, I would like to thank the Dabble Academy for the vast number of awards it has bestowed on me, but I just cannot accept them even though you really love me.... you really really do!! (Pretty Please???)
IN SUMMING UP, I'll even forgive #5 as a horrible glitch in scoring (that I don't care about) and be fully placated with fixes 1 through 4 if they are fixed or sufficiently explained. But I can't rate this 5 stars otherwise.
8 of 9 people found the following review helpful
on July 23, 2013
Immediately after installing this app my Galaxy S3 started restarting itself every minute. Everytime it restarted it would act really sluggish and fail to load the background image or on-screen keyboard interface. After sixty seconds it would then hang briefly before, without the usually goodbye screen or shutdown noise occuring, the T-Mobile splash screen would appear and the lock screen would load back up. Even when I just left the phone at the lock screen it was restarting every minute on the dot. Once I finally managed to uninstall this app before the phone could restart again the problem instantly stopped.
Admittedly I cannot rate the app itself because I was never able to use it the fact that it completely screwed up my phone is enough for me to never again try an app by this developer.
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
on September 14, 2013
Challenging, fun, somewhat unique. I have to agree with everyone that mentioned the dictionary issues. How in the hell can you create a dictionary that doesn't recognize the use of the simple three-letter word, 'fed'??? Is this real? Even now, in this app's 'create your own review' section, it doesn't recognize the use of the word 'recognize'!!! I also must agree with another user about the 'ego-feeding'... creating an overabundance of hurray's and 'hurrah's when none were earned. And then there is the issue of continuously fighting the game to correctly place the letters. This function is badly in need of adjustment. My one-star rating, however, is for the genuine ignorance in calling it a 'word game' that doesn't accept several REAL words. Shame on the developers. Fix the dictionary issues and I will reconsider my one star score.