1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Very documented, January 17, 2009
This review is from: The Dacian Stones Speak (Paperback)
The author wrote this book after a series of other "stones speak". I found the book very documented. What I liked the most was the fact that the author spent a good deal of time in Romania, talked to all leading experts in Dacian history and culture and on top of that did his own research. Speaking strictly about the info one should drawn from the stones and ancient artifacts, the book is well documented and easy to follow. As a matter of fact, I believe this is the only book on the Dacians ever written by someone outside Romania. I could not find another one. There is an extensive presentation of the Dacian religion in Mircea Eliade's History of Religions. The Dacians Stones Speak does not deal with that. I found that a good thing since it keeps the history and believes separated. As far as I know the Dacians did not let their religion influence their political beliefs. Anyway, this is a good book for any student seeking info on small European ancient cultures or people who already know something about the European history at the time. I do not believe this book would enlighten anyone that does not know anything about the European cultures and does not know anything at all about the Dacians. Regardless, what one could get from the book is the historical account of Emperor Trajan fighting with the Dacians in two different occasions and the story the Trajan's Column tells relating those battles.

The Dacian Stones Speak
The Dacian Stones Speak by Paul Lachlan MacKendrick (Paperback - December 15, 2000)
$44.00 $27.79