5.0 out of 5 stars A first-time mom
Published on April 20, 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly stereotypical
This book, along with 'Mommies are for Counting Stars', stereotypes gender roles so much that I probably won't even ready it to my son. Dads are shown as being active, fixing things and going to work, while moms mostly wait for their kids to come home and gestate babies while looking 'like a rose'. Not for families who are even a little progressive, or who have moms...
Published on November 17, 2009 by Andrea

5.0 out of 5 stars A first-time mom, April 20, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Daddies Are for Catching Fireflies (Lift-the-Flap, Puffin) (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book for a father to read to his son or daughter. So many of my daughter's books talked about a mother/child relationship, and I hadn't really found any books about a father/child relationship that I liked until I found this book. It talks about the very special things that a father might do for his child, such as teaching him to swim or fixing a broken toy. For example, one page shows a daddy taking his child to a parade. Then the reader lifts the flap to show that the daddy has given his child "the best seat at the parade" by placing him on his shoulders. My daughter likes this book, and so does my husband.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Daddies More Approachable and Human, June 1, 2001
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This book would make a wonderful present from a 2 year old for Father's Day. Children from 2-6 should be very pleased with the book. The images and activities are fairly divided between daughters and sons, so it should be equally enjoyable for all young children. The large, pleasant water colors will be accessible for very young children. One year-olds will enjoy looking at the pictures. The book can also be used as a beginning reader around age 5. Lifting the flaps will seem like peek-a-boo for 2-3 year olds and will bring torrents of giggles.
The book basically recounts lots of things that Daddies can help children with. My favorite was an illustration of a dozing Mom in a chair accompanied by the caption: "Sometimes at the end of the day, Daddy puts you to bed."
The book begins by having a girl try on Daddy's shoes and a boy put on Daddy's belt. Dealing with the relative size issue is a good place to start, and by making it humorous can take some of the potential discomfort out of the size differentials between children and the Daddies.
When the flap is lifted, the child is included more directly with Daddy. For example, one illustration shows a Daddy shaving while a boy looks on. The caption is "A daddy shaves." Under the flap, the boy has put some shaving cream on his own face, as well. The caption under the flap says "And is good to smell."
Daddies tickle your feet, mess your hair, try to fix things (not always successfully), help you deal with deep water (and teach you how to swim), protect you from big dogs, answer questions, go to work, and put you on their shoulders so you can see better.
The book creates the expectation that Daddies will do things with their children, but not that Daddies are perfect. As you can see from the example, care is taken to turn Daddy's size into an advantage for the youngster.
A benefit of having a book like this is to encourage Daddies and children to do more things together. Children are often very attached to their Mommies, and some are more than a little afraid of their Daddies. This book sets up an expectation of doing things with Daddies alone sometimes. That's good. Almost all children's books features Mommies doing things with children, so this book helps balance that mental image out.
After you have been reading this book for awhile, I suggest that you ask your child what things Daddies could do that she or he would like that are not listed in the book. That can help you expand your relationship in mutually rewarding ways.
Keep your eyes open for fireflies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, sturdy book, August 10, 2006
My 20 month old daughter loves this book. The flaps are large and easy to lift. The illustrations are cute. This book does a great job of showing that a lot of the everyday things Daddy's do are special. My daughter often asks to read this when her dad is working late, and she is thinking of him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute book, July 10, 2013
I got this book for my husband for Father's Day to read to our little girl since he grew up catching fireflies and we don't have fireflies where we live now. It is a cute book but there isn't even a page in the book about catching fireflies. It is only on the cover which I found a little strange. It is a cute book about dads though and all the things they do with and for their kids. The dads on each page look different too which is kind of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Sweet Book, February 27, 2006
My 18-month old son absolutely loves this book. It is one of his favorites, and he brings it to us saying "Daddy, Daddy" when he wants to read it. The illustrations are cute & simple. The writing is sweet without being syrupy or too corny. It shows Daddy doing activities such as teaching you to swim, fixing your bike, and taking you to the parade. Reading this book with my son is a nice way to remember Daddy while he is at work during the day--it even mentions that "A Daddy goes to work, and hugs you when he comes home." While this is not a board book, the pages are thicker than a regular book. I have found the pages & flaps to be very sturdy in the hands of my toddler. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute Book., May 28, 2013
I bought this book to add to my newborn's book collection. I wanted to have a book that would be special to us. I think this book was a good choice. I did find it odd, however, that "Daddies Are for Catching Fireflies" is not mentioned anywhere inside of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventurous book, May 25, 2013
Nice little book to show all the great things a child can do with their dads.. I thinks it gives a good example that dads can be a lot of fun to seek and explore with. Illustrations are done well and the lift flaps adds to the excitement of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, March 21, 2013
I bought this for my kids and it was a favorite. I now give it as a gift and it is always a hit!

5.0 out of 5 stars A father's day gift..., October 16, 2012
Yes it is stereotypical, and not every page relates to my husband's role as a dad, but it is a fun book! Baby and dad love reading it together. The large flaps make reading fun, although I wish it was a board book because I know that those flaps will be coming off real soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fireflies, July 4, 2010
I gave this book to my son-in-law on Father's Day. He and my daughter are expecting their first baby in November. He loved the gentle reminder of how many hours of fun he spent catching firefles in his youth.

Daddies Are for Catching Fireflies (Lift-the-Flap, Puffin)
Daddies Are for Catching Fireflies (Lift-the-Flap, Puffin) by Harriet Ziefert (Paperback - May 1, 1999)
$6.99 $6.29