A really cute book, one that little girls will, particularly, enjoy. Mommy decides what dresses her daughters will wear, thinking she is so smart, while at the same time, each daughter would actually prefer to make those choices for herself.
Published 9 months ago by Kindle Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but poor word choices
Published on October 11, 2006 by Jennie M. Tracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, but poor word choices, October 11, 2006
This review is from: Daffodil (Hardcover)
My daughter picked this one out at the library - we "test drive" books before we buy them. I'm sure glad we did it in this case. While the story is cute and the illustrations are fun, I was disappointed that the author chose to describe the yellow dress Daffodil wears as "pee yellow." There are other yellow things that could have been used as descriptors. I will not purchase this book for that reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story about little girls growing up and wanted to make their own choices, September 16, 2013
Kindle Customer (Lexington, KY, US) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story for multiples, January 22, 2008
This review is from: Daffodil (Hardcover)
As a mother of triplet girls I see first hand how hard it can be for the individuality of my three to be seen by others. All too often they get lumped together as "the triplets" or "the girls". This book focuses on recognizing individuality, which is important to foster in all chidren, but especially in multiples. I can't wait for my trio to get a bit older so they can better enjoy this book and the message it sends to other families with triplets.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Failure on Many Counts, July 25, 2007
This review is from: Daffodil (Hardcover)
Although my four-year-old daughter enjoyed this one briefly, I was much less impressed. The central character and her sisters are unpleasant whiners and eventually get their way through screaming and tantrums, not the best lesson for a childrens' book. Also, as an earlier reviewer noted, using "pee-colored" as a description is unnecessarily vulgar for the intended age group. Add a feckless mother character to the disfunctional story and the train wreck is complete. Avoid this one; there are so many better choices out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pictures are cute, but story is weak, January 7, 2007
This review is from: Daffodil (Hardcover)
The illustrations in "Daffodil" are fairly cute and my 6-year-old daughter seems to like the story, but there are a few things that irritated me.

First, the author describes a yellow dress as being the color of "pee" -- not once, but twice. C'mon.

Second, she repeatedly uses the phrase "very extremely, hugely much." Not only is that bad English, it's not even that clever.

Finally, I'm not thrilled about a story in which the characters seem to care only about clothes. I try to teach my kids that it's only important who they are, not what they look like. But in this book the girls find happiness in wearing clothes they like. Not a great message.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll stick up for this book... we really like it!, August 28, 2007
This review is from: Daffodil (Hardcover)
"Daffodil," by Emily Jenkins, is a clever, complex story of three sisters who are triplets learning to assert themselves and express their own needs and their individuality. Your children don't need to be twins, triplets, etc., to benefit from the message, which is more about children asserting independence from their parents than about being a multiple birth child -- the message is universal.

The point of the story is that the triplets' mother dresses them the way that *she* wants to, and the way *she* thinks is so clever and cute, and that the girls -- who are sick of the dresses they always have to wear -- finally learn to assert themselves and express their own needs, and not just let their mother live her life through them. It's not about fashion or vanity or "being made happy by clothes", but about young children learning to communicate their own wants and emotions, and about a parent learning when it's time to back off and let their kids make some of their own choices.

As far as the language goes, I think Ms. Jenkins is trying to speak in the voice of a young (5-8 year-oldish?) girl, and her mode of expression is not grammatically incorrect, so what's the problem? Repetition? If you condemned every childrens' book that used repetition as a writing device, I think you'd have a very narrow selection. As far as the objectionable word -- "pee" -- I didn't read it aloud when I read this book, and the story worked just fine. However, as a word that a little kid would choose to describe a shade of yellow that they hated and felt oppressed by, "pee yellow" seems like a pretty likely choice. It's clearly negative and conveys the girl's feelings. Personally, I just don't see any need to freak out about it. Just edit as you go along, and don't take everything so darn literally.

This is a cute book with a unique sense of humor and a valuable message. It may be a bit too emotionally charged for some readers, but for open-minded readers, it's definitely worth checking out! (ReadThatAgain!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Daffodil, November 8, 2005
This review is from: Daffodil (Hardcover)
Daffodil, Rose, and Violet are triplets that are dressed in clothes the same color as their names. This is because their mother and a others have a hard time figuring out who is really who. Until Daffodil tells her mother, "that enough is enough very extremely hugely much, enough". The three girls have their say and mother is sorry that she never thought about it that way and the girls get to wear whatever colors they want "They all felt very lucky ducky indeed".

This book uses expression very vividly with words and colors. It would be good to use in the classroom to teach that everyone is an individual.

Daffodil
Daffodil by Emily Jenkins (Hardcover - May 3, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01