5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Cool, Fast, Functional Bike, August 15, 2006
This review is from: Dahon Cadenza (Misc.)
The Cadenza is the perfect bike for me, and maybe you too. First off the Cadenza will go as fast as you can pedal. Road bikers comment on the beautiful frame and matte finish all the time (I recommend the black). Most of the time it feels like a Jaguar going the speed limit, challenging you to ride faster.

I was looking at the Dahon Jack, but the 8 medium speeds didn't appeal to me, I wanted the Matrix the last time I was looking for a bike, but they keep adding features, weight and cost to it. I thought, I needed the mountain bike tires, but once they rolled this gem out for a test drive at the bike shop I was sold. Of course I don't jump up and down curbs like I would if I had the suspension and tires of the matrix or the jack, but I get to the office so quickly, and the ride is so balanced, silky and dependable, the last thing I want to do is start banging the frame around to see if I can mess it up. That said my morning commute has some rough stretches with roadwork along the seaport, cobblestones and potholes downtown, and the Cadenza handles them all like a champ. There is also lifetime warranty on the frame in case I do decide to start jumping off of bolders in my free time. With nimble handling, a solid frame and the ride of a precision crafted instrument it is, what more could I ask...

OH YEAH IT FOLDS!!!

While you are riding the bike the last thing you think about is the fact that it folds, but if you are on the train or the subway and it starts filling up with people in wingtips, who don't want to be anywhere near your beautiful bike, you can fold it out of everyones way, or if you meet up with some friends and feel like sharing a cab or a car with them, it folds right into the trunk.

Total Bicycle Riding Bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great lightweight bike--and it folds!, October 17, 2005
Paul Bonner (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dahon Cadenza (Misc.)
I didn't buy my Cadenza through Amazon, but I'm here to talk about the bike, not the buying experience, so that shouldn't matter. In any case, no matter which online vendor you buy it from, you'll want to have the bike serviced as soon as you get it by a local bike shop to complete and/or verify the assembly and to activate the Dahon extended warranty.

If your experience is anything like mine, once you get it home you're going to fall in love with this bike. Obviously, the most striking thing about it is that it folds, and true to the manufacturer's claims, it really does take all of about 5 seconds to fold. (15 if you take the time to remove the handlebars too). Once folded, it fits easily into the trunk of my Passat, or into the corner of a room or office cubicle, and it's light enough to move around easily. I wouldn't want to try to commute with it on a train or bus though--even folded, a 26" bike is probably too bulky for that.

The amazing thing about the Cadenza is that once you snap the hinge shut and climb on board, you can forget that it folds. At that point, all you need to be aware of is that this is a great bike.

For starters, after years of riding a huge old dinosaur of a mountain bike, I was astonished at how light the Cadenza felt. I'm never aware of the Cadenza's weight--even on steep hills the bike feels light and responsive.

Then there's the speed. The Cadenza is just plain quick, thanks to its skinny slick tires and big gear range (28-113 gear inches) and lightweight components. It seems to leap ahead on every downstroke, and I've found myself cruising along at 20MPH on flat stretches more than once. The component set--gears, saddle, brakes, bar, bar ends, etc.--seem well-matched and fit well with what you would expect from a non-folding bike in the same price range.

I wouldn't recommend the Cadenza for off-road use--not even a little bit. The tires are supposedly Kevlar-reinforced, but I got a flat my first time out when a burr punctured my sidewall when I pushed the bike over a rough patch near the side of the road. That was probably just bad luck--the tires have been fine since--but everything about the bike says it was meant for road use.

If you stick to the roads, though, this is a great bike, one that you can pop it into your trunk and pull out whenever the opportunity arises. It's fun to ride, it's beautiful, and it folds.

Dahon Cadenza