Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on March 20, 2014
I've had this bike for three years, and have no idea how people can complain about durability and comfort problems with it. I originally bought it as a bike for college, where it conveniently (though barely) fit under a dorm bed, folded up. (I've found that it also fits well in car trunks.) I used it this way for a year and a half, before deciding to take some long-distance biking trips. My normal road bike was unavailable at the time, so I rode this one. My first trip was a four-month ride from mid-Pennsylvania to coastal Oregon (about 3000 miles), and the second was from Idaho Falls to San Francisco (about 1000 miles). The bike performed well through a wide variety of conditions, including paved, gravel, and dirt roads, off-road trails, and in snow and heavy rain. Even pulling about 200 pounds of equipment (between a trailer and panniers), the bike rarely required maintenance beyond tire pumping and chain lubrication. The only crippling problem that I experienced was a worn out tire, toward the end of the second trip. (There were also some repairs to minor damage, such as punctured inner tubes and a slightly bent wheel, but nothing that I wouldn't expect from any other bike under similar stresses.) Although comfort preferences vary, I found the bike sufficiently comfortable for days that often included over 12 hours of riding.

Most of the time, I almost forget that it's a folding bike. The folding mechanism seems well-designed, and I've never had any problems with it. The folding capability is also subtle enough that most observers wouldn't even guess that the bike is capable of it. But when it comes to storage and transport, it's still very much a folding bike.

After everything, the bike still functions well, and I use it for getting around my neighborhood. Basically, I love this bike, and I'd recommend it for anyone who wants a bike that's both flexible and capable.
on January 7, 2012
I have had this bike for a year.

I am a little disappointed with the folding latching mechanism; I think it could have been designed a bit better. I put velcro over it to keep it in place. One time while I was riding the bike actually started folding up on me; weird experience, but fortunately no harm done to me or the bike!

After purchase I had a bike shop tune up. (I got a tuneup Groupon). This made a world of difference in the bike's performance, and I highly recommend it!

I'm 5'11, 185#, and I find the bike quite comfortable. I generally ride 12 miles or less per trip. It's not a lean mean road machine, but for short trips I actually prefer it over a hybrid bike I own. I like the wide tires for city/suburban biking, although wider tires are not speed demons.

This is a standard size bike, and is not, in my opinion, light weight. It is not easy to lug into our transit system (BART), so I don't use it for the purpose I originally purchased it for. I CAN, however, fit it in the back of our very small German station wagon. If you have a bunch of kids you can put their lighter bikes on an exterior car rack, and put one or two of these inside your SUV without too much difficulty.

I have had no maintenance problems; it appears to be one of those purchases which may last a very long time.
on May 14, 2014
They are a huge improvement compared to our ratty old bikes. We like that they fold, we can fit two of them behind the drivers seat in our F150 super crew cab... They ride like a proper big bike, great for getting around town, or the campground or whatever. But they are still big when they fold... Due to the bigger size tires. Everything has its pluses and minuses. All in all we're glad we bought the pair, and really like that we can keep them locked inside our truck when traveling and not using them vs having them hang off the back on a bike rack or something. All the folding mechanisms are very well designed. Glad we went for the best vs trying a cheaper option then having to upgrade.
I am 5'6" and the medium size is perfect for me. My husband is 6' so size large is best for him. We did have some damage in the initial shipping, but the company we bought them from we're fantastic about sending a replacement and making sure everything was good. They get very high marks for their customer service.
on August 8, 2012
I bought the Dahon Espresso 20" 2008 model from a different vendor. I have some experience with bike repair, so it was easy to assemble. This is more a city bike than a road bike, although the handlebars are low. I changed the stem-extender so I could raise the bars. The current handlebars seem a little less flat, and the current stem extender is totally adjustable. Over the first 2 years, I wore out the bottom bracket--I'm not an uber-cyclist, but I do like to go on short road trips for fun--20 or 30 miles or so--on the hills here in Western NY. I've replaced the bottom bracket with an inexpensive external-bearing set from Shimano, and I was quite pleased that the frame didn't need any grinding to align the new bearing. My bicycle had a freewheel-style rear wheel, which I replaced with a cassette-style wheel to give me more flexibility with the gearing. When I changed the bottom bracket, I got a crankset with replaceable chainrings, to have make for easier powertrain service and more flexibility, since the original crankset had riveted chainrings. I love the index shifters--as an old cyclist, I remember my pride in how well I could shift with friction shifters on the down bar, but now I'm really happy to just push a button and have a nice solid shift without any effort. The folding latch is actually quite solid, and easy to adjust once you figure out that it goes backward from what you would think. It does need to be cleaned and lubricated a couple times a summer, but that's not difficult, either. I really like that it can fold--it fits in the back seat of my old Honda Civic.

All in all, this is a bike with a really good frame with some components that could be better, particularly if you want to ride it out onto the road at all. I've put about $250 of new equipment on it, and I'm pretty happy with it--luckily, I bought it after the model year, so I got a good discount, and I'm still under the current price overall.
on April 21, 2015
Bought Dahon Expresso 20 inches a few year back.
I used once and found the saddle seat extremely uncomfortable.
So it was parked in the Garage most of the time. Till my 11 years old grand son
took it a ride on April 17. 2015. He went over a street bump and one left fron hub's
nut fell out.
I, my wife and my son in law tried to squeez in and re screw its original nut. Four and five attemps
still unsucessful despite my son in law is 6ft and 240 lbs and he does not want to break wheel frame. We have notice several flaws and creepy craftmanship.
I have Citizen, 1 Next kid and another Next for adult . Both of which from Walmart and cheapy. They
seems have better built than my $600 Dahon when I paid back then.
on November 5, 2011
Handle bars are too low!

Now if you are use to riding in a hunched over position (aerodynamically) than this could be a great bike for you. I do not like riding a bike this way.

I felt than the bike is advertised as an urban street bike (no off-road) for the casual rider and being the large model I hoped it would accommodate my 6' body. That being said, I find the handle bars can not be raised to an adequate height to which I may ride with a straight spine.

I tried adjusting the seat, no good. I tried reversing the stem neck, no good. I tried a stem extender, the treads did no match (not industry standard).

I took the bike to an authorized dealer and he could not offer a way to extend the stem w/o compromising the structural integrity. He did suggest replacing the factory handle bars w/ 5" riser bars.

For $25 thru amazon.com I purchased Pyramid Mountain Bike Riser Handlebars (5" Rise, Alloy, Silver) which I was able install on my bike w/ the use of many a metric allen keys. The silver (not chrome) matches the bikes existing accents well.

Plus, the tool used to fold the bike broke.
on July 5, 2011
I ordered this bike for my Partner, it shipped quickly, was easy to assemble, and has been easy to store indoors where we live in a condo.

He is very happy with it, and I am happy it fits in a closet!
on February 14, 2014
NJ Transit does not allow normal bikes on their trains, so I had to buy this foldable bike for the train ride to work. Within the first year, my pedal broke off and the rear axle snapped rendering the bike useless. Dahon completely backed away from their 1 year warranty. Amateur hour. The local bike shop actually stood behind the sale and gave me a new pedal and rear axle/rear wheel. I am not sure what to make of this. Dahon is clearly a lousy company, but given that I ride the bike to work (3 miles each way) 4 days per week, I wonder whether foldable bikes in general can stand up to that kind of wear and tear. Clearly, Dahon can not.