5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a daily NYC Commuter
I use this bike on my daily commute from New Jersey to Connecticut. I think it would be fair to say that this makes the trip from NY Penn to Grand Central Station faster than any other form of transporation including taxi and subway. I honestly don't know if I could do my commute without this bike.

As a person who's rode their fair share of bikes, I can...
Published on October 23, 2009 by R. L. Alesiani

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it.
I've had a Dahon Mariner for several years. It's good if you want to fold it to carry in a car trunk or on a train, but not good for regular use. It's awkward to handle. It's difficult to lock up. It is creeks and squeeks. It's not a comfortable ride. Recently, the frame which locks the handle bars erect has eroded and can't be replaced. Not a good deal.
Published 1 month ago by Edward L. Hummel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from a daily NYC Commuter, October 23, 2009

As a person who's rode their fair share of bikes, I can honestly say that this thing is built to last. I've hit quite a number of potholes and uneaven pavement and have never felt like it was too uncomfortable. I've also dropped it a number of times and the worst that has ever happened is the chain has come off the gears and i've had to reset it by hand. Nothing out of the ordinary.

If I HAD to gripe about soemthing, it would be the ease at which it can be rolled around while collapsed. You can leave the seat extended and roll it balanced on one tire, but if you try and roll it on both tires in this way it's off balance. It's also slightly heavy to carry around for long distances. It's fine to run up and down stairs or through a train station, but anything more than that and you might feel some fatigue. But hey, if it's a longer trip than that, you should be riding it anyway.

Pros:
Quick and easy folding system. (I'm down to about 20 seconds to break it down)
Comfortable ride.
Works great as a portable seat when folded up.
Fits perfectly under a standard desk.
Having the extra gears (compaired to a 3 gear models) really comes in handy going up and down hills
Great conversation starter. If you ride this daily, people WILL come right up to you and ask you about it.
It's a beautifully designed bike. Very pleasing to the eye.
Chicks dig it.

Cons:
Slightly heavy, but it's cheaper than the titanium models. So that's to be expected.
Could have better balanced when rolling it around while folded.
People WILL come up to you and ask you about it. Sometimes even waking you up while you're napping on the train.
Using it daily will require that you semi-frequetly top off the tires. Say twice a month.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only own one bike this is the one!, July 17, 2010
John Grimsrud (Merida, Yucatan, Mexico) - See all my reviews
My wife and I have been biking together for more than 40 years, in the US, Canada, Mexico and Europe. We presently reside in Yucatan, Mexico, own 12 different bicycles. Our Dahon 7 speed, 20 inch folding bikes, which we have owned for three years, have become our all-time favorites. City traffic, open road and bus, boat, air and train travel with these bikes that fold in twelve seconds has added a wonderfully new dimension to our lives. You can get rid of your car keys if you own one of these.
Why by from Amazon? They are reputable, dependable and stand behind their product. John Grimsrud, a happy and satisfied customer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great city bike, and really comfortable, November 15, 2005
Don't be fooled by the 20'' wheels this is not a bicycle for children. I had it for a couple of months and I'm really happy with the way the feel. It is extremly easy to fold them and saves a lot of space, and if you get tired of riding just take them on the subway this time without getting all these evil looks from impatient passengers. They will be so amazed by the lsize of the folding bike and will save thier winning for the 26'' riders.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mariner D7, December 9, 2009
Phandshaw (Indianapolis) - See all my reviews
Great little lightweight bike, folds easy and looks nice. I've gotten numerous compliments on its looks. The ride is smooth and relatively comfortable, although I may trade out the saddle to improve comfort on longer rides. My only minor complaint is that the tires are a bit difficult to fill. Great bike for travel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-made bicycle, February 4, 2012
The quality, workmanship, frame-welds, and shifter-components are all outstanding. The Mariner is a well-made, well-designed bike. It's much easier to ride than I expected, more stable at low-speed (slow-walking speeds), and easy to handle and steer. One of the features I wanted was the non-corrosive marine-coatings for weather and ease of maintenance. I haven't had occasion to test this yet. I added head- & tail-lights, a bell to warn pedestrians when side-walk riding, and a basket for the rear-rack. Upgraded seat. Other than that, it comes ready for riding with very minor assembly out of the box. They packed carefully and shipped it well. Everything fits together well, no badly machined parts or burrs in the metal threads. It's a delight. It could be a little faster on the high-end (it's not meant for steady 25mph cruising in boulevard traffic), although my grandson says he can't keep up with me on his bike. I used to commute to work or school through light snow and ice, rain-slick concrete, gravel and sand-coated asphalt; I expect pot-holes and dirt-shoulders, so I have always asked a lot of my inexpensive road- and touring-bikes. In the past, garaging and storing was always a problem for my bikes; also transporting -- some of my vehicles were too small or wouldn't take a rack on the trunk. This bike folds and solve the transport and storage problems. I'm 60 now, less active, and less agile. But I'm wishing this bike had come along when I was 20-40. It's the commuter-bike I always wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super duper Dahon goodness, September 24, 2012
This review is from: Dahon Mariner D7 Folding Bike, Brushed (Sports)
Believe the hype. This is an awesome commuter bike.

Riding the bike is fun. It is a joy to ride.It shifts smoothly and effortlessly making riding easy! This bike can really move with the top speeds. This bike feels like a larger bike. I am a big person, 6'3" 230lbs and this bike feels solid under my weight. I ride this for commuting (about 4 miles a day) and I also take it for a 10 mile ride once per week.

I couldn't find a bike store that had a selection of folding bikes so trying one out wasn't an option for me. In fact one bike shop employee told me to not bother looking, just order one online. I had to see the Dahon folding bikes around town, and read a bunch of good reviews before I took the risk of ordering a bike online.

The bike arrived in complex packaging. Removing the packaging and familiarizing myself with the bike took a few hours. No adjustments were necessary. Everything was in working order out of the box. I got some accessories, a saddle bag, a mini pump, a water bottle holder, lights, and a bell. Some consideration for the placement of accessories must be made for folding the bike otherwise things on your handlebar can interfere with the wheels when you try to roll it around folded.

Folding it for the first time takes a few minutes. But then after doing the fold a few dozen times I got it down to about 15 seconds. There are a few tricks like standing in right place for leverage, and putting the pedals in the right place. If you leave the seat extended you can push it around the train station like a cart. It is small enough to sit next to you on the train like a piece of luggage. It will fit in the aisle without blocking passage. With the seat lowered into folded position, it stands on its own.

All in all the best bike I ever owned. I am debating whether to get another because I hear in other reviews that some of the unique parts are impossible to find.

4.0 out of 5 stars Got my bike 2 days after I ordered it!, August 27, 2009
Becky (California) - See all my reviews
I ordered this bike on Aug 25, it was sitting on my porch at noon today, the 27th. I took it up the street to the bike shop to be put together since I have no clue about how to do that. For an extra $59 it was put together and all adjusted and ready to roll in 2 hours. It rides well. I would give it 5 stars but that seat is really hard. It is easy to fold and unfold although I have to look at the instructions still. I didn't realize that when it is folded you can raise the seat a bit and use it as a handle to roll it along so it will be easy to get on and off the bus. I need to get the carry bag for it. All in all, I am very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reasonably well built, full featured yet economical folding bike, July 2, 2012
This review is from: Dahon Mariner D7 Folding Bike, Brushed (Sports)
Dahon has juggled some of the features among their various models over the past few years, so picking the right one can be a bit confusing. The Mariner shown here is nearly identical to the bike that used to be called the Vitessa D7. This Mariner (and the older Vitesse) uses the 7 speed cluster with the NEOS compact derailleur system. In 2008 the Vitesse D7 was replaced by the Vitessa D7HG. The HG uses a 7 speed enclosed planetary hub (think of the old '3-speed' bikes). Pretty much all of the design and features of the old Vitesse became the new Mariner. What was the Mariner prior to 2008? It was a more rounded tube steel bike.

With that said, I think it's pretty fair to comment about the Mariner, even though I own a Vitessa D7 purchased in 2007. With going on 5 years of use and better than 3000 miles, I still think it was an excellent choice, but it's not perfect. Accept that a folding bike is a study in compact engineering and compromises, so don't expect perfection, especially in this price range. For instance:

1) The stock seat can become painful in all the wrong places! I found a $75 saddle from Terry (Men's Liberator Y) was a good choice. Your butt might think differently...

2) The short wheelbase, large chainring and wide ratio cluster is a problem for cross-chaining, and the very compact NEOS can have a tough time maintaining smooth shift quality. Lots of cleaning, chain lube, minor adjustments, and gentle shifting is required. Don't expect Shimano 105 quality performance.

3) Little things like safety catches break.

4) Bearing quality is just OK, and after 2+ years of use I had to do a major teardown. Yes, a good owner would have done this yearly, but who really does? It started with a broken rear spoke (of course on the drive side requiring cluster removal!), and spent a few days on my repair stand while I thoroughly did the bottom bracket, freewheel and front wheel. I polished out slight scoring on the BB races (pedal crank), but they will eventually require replacement.

Overall, I'd do it again. It's lived for 5 years in a bag in the back of my Subaru, and gets used 3-4 days per week as a lunchtime getaway from work. The rack carries my lunch back from the deli, and the fenders keep my work cloths clean and dry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for travel, August 24, 2009
This is a very comfortable riding bike. Folds easily and compact enough to put in back seat of vehicle, or carry on a bus. Don't be fooled by the 20" wheels, they move very smoothly. I have no trouble keeping up with larger bikes.

Great second, backup or for travel bike. You will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bicycle and a lot of compliments!, July 22, 2013
This review is from: Dahon Mariner D7 Folding Bike, Brushed (Sports)
Because I wanted a bicycle that would not take a lot of space in my apartment or at work, I bought this Dahon Mariner. It's a solid bike that's easy to fold/unfold and is sturdy. I've put a lot of miles on it since I received it and have had no issues except for the seat, which I found uncomfortable and replaced.

The reason I decided to write this today is because I rode the Dahon to the beach and no less than three people commented on how good the bicycle looked. I've seen comments online that people were hesitant to buy a folding bike because it looks like a "clown bike". What I discovered is either people don't really give it a second glance or they react positively toward it. The bike doesn't look funny, just different. And once you tell people it's a folding bike, they seem to like it even more. So don't let the look of this make you not buy it. It's worth it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›