5.0 out of 5 stars A biography that's a page-turner!
This is a gripping, touching, meticulously researched biography of one of the genuine geniuses and heroes of the 20th Century. Norman Borlaug (whom I had the privilege to know personally) had the kind of idealism, tenacity and courage epitomized by Jimmy Stewart in the title role of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and Gary Cooper in "High Noon."

"Our Daily...
Published on December 18, 2011 by agwallah

3.0 out of 5 stars Good reading but only for the topic
I found this to be a good review of Borlaug's life experiences, however the author was difficult to read IMO. He seemed to forget his audience.
Published 19 months ago by Karl Gingrich

5.0 out of 5 stars A biography that's a page-turner!, December 18, 2011
This review is from: Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug (Hardcover)

"Our Daily Bread" conveys how difficult much of Borlaug's life was and the odds against which he accomplished so much in cereal genetics and agronomy.

What especially surprised and impressed me about this book is that the author managed to make it a genuine page-turner. There was real uncertainty and suspense about whether the introduction of Borlaug's new wheat varieties and agronomic practices would come in time to prevent massive starvation in India and Pakistan.

Terrific book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Daily Bread - an excellent narrative, a compelling read, December 8, 2011
This review is from: Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug (Hardcover)
Through a busy month, I just finished reading Our Daily Bread and declare it an excellent narrative. With much of it in Norman Borlaug's own words, it moves forward in a continuous rush. I like this format very much. It reads well and it reads fast and that demands attention. It will be well received.

I would like to have seen an index. I'm an index scanner. I like to know who's there, who's not, and how often they appear or disappear by page number. Perhaps something for a second edition? Its absence is easily overcome with a highlighter and margin notes.

From Iowa to India, Mexico to Pakistan, Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug by Noel Vietmeyer is a worthy original historic account of the early years of what has become known as the "Green Revolution" -- in addition to being a compelling read.

I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars He Only Saved 6 Billion People., February 13, 2012
This review is from: Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug (Hardcover)
Borlaug exemplifies the best of the American Spirit. His obituary in the N.Y. Times read "He Only Saved Six BILLION People". A poor Iowa dirt farmer (from a pre-Depression area and era that had not yet had contact with the industrial revolution) who with an iron will and a belief in himself and all human beings changed the world and gave it the Green Revolution. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize and deserved it more than any other nominee. And in his spare time he created Little League baseball in Mexico culminating in the 1957 LL World Series championship won by the Monterrey, Mexico team, the first foreign team to enter the Little League competition. His life story should be made into a movie so that more people can see what he did, and what he went through to do it. This book is a road map to international cooperation in the service of all mankind. There is a quote on the back dust jacket of the book from M.S. Swaminathan, a member of the Indian parliament that reads, "There is a saying in Gita that, from time to time, God appears on earth in disguise. When the world was in a serious food crisis one of the godly forms who appeared was Norman Borlaug."

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, May 16, 2012
This review is from: Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug (Hardcover)
This is a very inspiring book about a man who saved over a billion lives through sheer grit, determination, optimism, scientific brilliance and plain old common sense. As humble as they come, Borlaug overcame the grinding poverty of his youth to be the first to go to college in his family. He left a good job with Du Pont in the US and toiled alone and unsung in rural Mexico in the 1940s for years when mere mortals would have long given up. Years of hardwork resulted in new varities of wheat that literally saved humanity in the hungriest parts of the world. The book is full of riveting accounts of his exploits. The author knew him well and makes the book highly readable by providing vignettes of his experiences. Hollywood should consider this book for a major motion picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a deal for a terrific book about an American hero!, September 5, 2012
I have happily read all of Noel Vietmeyer's outstanding books on Norman Borlaug. They are written in a wonderful style telling a terrific story about Norman Borlaug who truly did more than his part to help feed the world particularly those who did not have much food available to them. Among many extarordinary characteristics Borlaug's perseverance, high moral values and life-long beliefs are something to admire. The Vietmeyer tribute to Borlaug is awesome.

Noting the price of the Kindle version, I would say you would be remiss if you didn't capitalize on it. One can never know how long such an extemely low price for such a valuable treatise and easy read will be available at this price. The hardback version is worth the price too!You won't be sorry if you click buy on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for inspiration on what one person can accomplish, March 16, 2014
Norman Borlaug changed the world. He came from humble beginings. His thirst for education, his underlying values, hard work, and dedication is inspiring. We don't all agree on what modern agriculture should look like, but at heart agronomists are applied scientists who want to help feed the world. While the pundits argue hungry mouths need food. How Dr. Borlaug turned around huge obstacles is documented in this book. It should be read to appreciate just how hard farm life was, and how agriculture development is the engine of prosperity. The world today is a different place thanks to Dr. Borlaug, and we can debate technology, however, this story remains an inspiration for those who care about using their talents for the common good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Daily Bread; The Essential Norman Borlaug, November 13, 2012
Excellent and timely read. An account of the kind of life it used to take to earn a Nobel Peace Prize, saving perhaps as many as 100 Million lives from starvation. The contrast with recent, politically expedient Nobel Prize pretenders is stark.
Early chapters are a sobering reminder of how difficult life was in rural America a hundred years ago, with malnutrition and disease even in America's breadbasket. Also a story of how very far we have come with modern agriculture and how much we take for granted, as well-fed we can obsess over trivial risks.
later chapters are a compelling story of an action-oriented visionary struggling against socialist political bureaucracies and lazy, self-satisfied academics hiding behind their credentials and protecting their feathered nests.
This should be the basis for a powerful screenplay, but probably won't be given it's politically incorrect messages.
purchase and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread has a Hero, August 7, 2014
From the beginning of his life, this was just a guy who wouldn't quit, wasn't he? Inspiring just to read how a lad could go from expecting to leave school at 8th grade, because everyone did, to gaining post-graduate schooling. I couldn't stop reading this book, it is as compelling as any fiction book for me. But as much as his early life was nifty, his career in agriculture and breeding wheat was what really made the man a hero.

I'd love to go on and on at length, about genetic engineeering and the exciting possibilities for agriculture that it gives us. I was thrilled and delighted with this book, with the earthy characters in it, and the vision of the future it gave me. I grew up with permaculture and intensive gardening methods, just *thinking* about what could be done makes me want to get my hands in dirt. But I will wait a bit, and finish my bookwork. Like the rackety scholar Borlaug was, it's time for me to buckle down and get the thing finished, as his mentor scolded him.

He spent long dusty years toiling in a country not his own, giving poor children and neglected women a chance for jobs and education. He revolutionized the wheat industry. And then, to top it off, he traveled the world to end hunger in India, Pakistan, and beyond. I wish there were more men like this.

This is what the key is… not America stepping in with largesse (at least until we run out of money and patience). But teaching the world to grow their own food. There are, as you read this book, still places who do things the old way, and who react as the old farmers did to Borlaug at first.

I highly recommend the book to anyone interested not in farming, but in culture, population growth, and the future. We are slaves to our stomachs, and Norman Borlaug broke that chain for millions. Why couldn't it be done again? I don't see any reason why not, except…

5.0 out of 5 stars Read and share this book, June 28, 2014
If this was a story of fiction, no one would believe it. Please read and share this story. It is a travesty that Norman Borlaug's name is not a household word.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, March 26, 2014
Everyone that eats should read it. He shows that it is more important to be able to feed people than the agricultural practice that is used to produce the crops. If fertilizer and pesticides help increase yields then use them

Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug
Our Daily Bread, The Essential Norman Borlaug by Noel Vietmeyer (Hardcover - October 12, 2011)
$27.00 $20.17