5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy and Easy to Use
Published on April 18, 2012 by Leanna Manuel, Psy.D. - author...

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
This cookbook isn't bad, but it isn't practical at all.
I was looking for something that had every-day, family-friendly dairy-free and gluten-free recipes... This is not that cookbook.
The recipes in here, while some of them don't look too bad, are very complicated and are more like "special occasion" recipes.
If you want a cookbook that has...
Published 21 months ago by SnarkieBunnie

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy and Easy to Use, April 18, 2012
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
The problem with gluten free and dairy free cookbooks for me is that they generally rely heavily upon other ingredients that I am also allergic to. I end up being only able to use one or two recipes out of a whole book. This book offered many different options that actually tasted good. While there were still things that I can't have, for the most part, those recipes look like I could easily make substitutions and still come up with a tasty end product.

The information about diary free and gluten free cooking was also easy to understand and consistent with the other literature available from other sources.

If I had to give a criticism, I would say that I would have liked more photographs of the finished recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easier than I thought., February 29, 2012
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
I recently needed to go on the gluten and dairy free diet. This book is really helping me realize that it is not as hard as I thought it would be, nor is the diet tastless. The recipes are very tasty and not too difficult to follow. Even my husband enjoys the gluten/dairy free dinners.

5.0 out of 5 stars the dairy-free & gluten-free kitchen by Denise Jardine, March 31, 2013
researcher (WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
I bought this book primarily for the dairy-free recipes. I don't have a problem with gluten but do appreciate the fact that the author gives so many gluten-free recipes, including an easy, gluten-free flour mix which I am sure I will use. The flour is needed for some of the recipes that are given. Recipes include breakfast items: buckwheat pancakes, potato pancakes, and french toast. There is another section on appetizers, one on salads and dressings, one on soups (just ONE of my favorites!), one with fish & shellfish, another on poultry & meat, and one on vegetarian & companion dishes, mostly packed with delicious vegetables.

For the bread lovers among us, there are yeasted & quick breads, breadsticks, biscuits, cornbread, muffins, scones, and other yummy sounding recipes. An additional feature of this book that I really like is the little boxes at the top of each recipe that show foods the recipe DOESN'T use to help those who have problems with particular foods. Examples would be soy, eggs, nut, sugar, or oil.

I can't forget dessert, for which the author gives delicious-sounding recipes including fruits, tarts, puddings, cake, ice cream, cheesecake, etc. She calls this section "Sweet Endings."

I absolutely love the last section, which is on basics: recipes range from gluten-free flour mix, to dairy milk alternatives, yogurt, cheese, chicken stock, vegetable stock, recipes for tomatoes, beans, whole grain cooking, roasted & grilled vegetables & fruits, toast, bread crumbs, and recipes using nuts, as well as date & orange syrup. I haven't covered all the book's strengths, but this inexpensive cookbook is well worth its price. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gluten free resource!, May 8, 2012
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
I highly recommend this book for anyone on restrictive diets who is looking for delicious and accessible recipes. At the top of each page there is a key that indicates whether the recipe is everything from vegan to soy free, which means that this isn't just a resource for us gluten and dairy-free"ers" out there.

In particular, I really loved the pizza crust made with the master flour blend recipe. It was so easy to make and poured right onto a pizza stone for a nice, homemade, gluten-free crust. There's also a great dairy free "cheese" recipe in here for topping your pizza.

All of the smoothies and main dishes look great and I have plans to make lots of them in the future! All in all, a great addition to my cookbook collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 17, 2013
A. Goeller (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
This cookbook has some awesome recipes. I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for 5 years and have had tree nut allergies for the same amount of time. Recently, I was also diagnosed with Dairy, Soy and Peanut allergies. I was desperate for cookbooks to help me deal with my new restrictions. This one has been great. There are a ton of recipes I can't wait to try!

5.0 out of 5 stars The dairy-free & gluten-free kitchen, September 6, 2012
Best book ever I recommend this one over all the ones I have read and I have read at least 9 so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lactose Intolerant Here, April 14, 2013
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
I really enjoy this book. I know that previous reviews show that it is for "big meals" but, really it isn't. it is great if you want to know all the options and even tells you how to make substitutes yourself! So great when you move and don't know where to go for the things that you used to know where to find! If you struggle with Lactose Intolerance and eating bland food all the time I highly suggest that you try this. Being lactose intolerant you can get stuck in a very boring diet of always eating the things that you know that will not hurt you. This helps you to eat a good version of all the normal foods people enjoy. (I am very lactose intolerant. I have only found one pill that works and that is the Milk Digestant from the big Nutrition Center). Good luck in your search!

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., May 6, 2013
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
This cookbook isn't bad, but it isn't practical at all.
If you want a cookbook that has "fancy" dairy-free/gluten-free recipes for special occasions, this might not be a bad option for you.
If you are looking for a cookbook that provides practical recipes that your kids will actually eat, I suggest looking elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice lay-out, February 25, 2013
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
I was surprised to see each recipe identifies other allergens that it does NOT contain. This will be very helpful with a grandchild who is allergic to almost everything imaginable!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yummy!, August 4, 2013
This review is from: The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen (Paperback)
It's hard to find food sometimes when you're gluten and dairy denied. This book doesn't make you feel denied anything. I haven't eaten non-dairy cheese at this point, and may not choose to. I just don't use it. Nothing too hard or hard to find. A great addition to your cookbooks if trying to figure out the GF/DF situation. Recommended.

The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen
The Dairy-Free & Gluten-Free Kitchen by Denise Jardine (Paperback - January 3, 2012)
$19.99 $16.09