4.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective.
I never write album reviews on Amazon, but after reading a few that were on here I felt compelled to share my experience with this album.

Published on September 27, 2009 by R. Levine

3.0 out of 5 stars Different.
Published on September 26, 2009 by ironclad_lou

4.0 out of 5 stars A different perspective., September 27, 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)

I never liked Brand New. I generally don't like mainstream music, and I really disliked the first couple of albums from these guys. A few months ago my girlfriend played The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me for me, saying that I needed to hear it. I was blown away. I couldn't believe that this band was the same one who put out Your Favorite Weapon.

Daisy is a monster. There is not a track that I do not love. I would actually rate it 4 1/2 stars if Amazon gave me the option. I'd recommend this album to people who are looking for something different, and are a little bit open minded about music. This is not a radio album, and it may not be an easy pill to swallow for past fans. If you're someone like me who isn't into the old Brand New, you may find this piece of art just as compelling as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, October 28, 2009
B. Wilhoite (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
It has been my firm belief that, 20 years from now when we look back on the music this first decade of the millennium has brought us, Brand New's "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" would be remembered as one of, if not the best rock albums released in this decade. Not only is there not a single song that feels out of place or inferior, but every song is rich in lyrical and musical depth. Brand New has come a long way from their debut album, "Your Favorite Weapon" - that was clearly within the pop-punk genre and was a stand out debut full of raw energy and passion - and their follow up, "Deja Entendu" - that was more alt-rock/emo-esque than anything else, but still packed a punch. "The Devil and God..." saw them step clearly into the alt-rock genre, but featured lyrics with a depth not often found there. Each of their albums grow on you. I was initially taken aback by each of them. Probably because of how different they sounded with each progressive release. Even with my initial discomfort, I couldn't stop listening and found the lyrics haunting me.

Their new album, "Daisy," is much the same. Again, they shifted genres with their latest release, this time to straight up rock. There's no holding back here and while you can hear trademark Brand New sounds throughout, they still sound different. Once again, the lyrics are deep and haunting. I find them staying with me long after I pull the needle from the record or turn off my iPod.

The album begins with: "Far away from any road, / Roams my heart in solitude, / Where no passerby can see, / On life's highway God with thee, / Knowing when all else does fail, / Thy compassion shall prevail, / ... / On life's highway God with thee." and ends with: "Father, when my footsteps stray / Guide me back into Thy way / Father with thee, Oh, let me be / On life's highway, God with thee."

In-between that first verse and closing line of the album you have 11 songs that define soul searching and humanness. And like "The Devil and God..." said in "Jesus Christ," not a fear of death, but of what happens next or whether what is done here has any affect therein. The songs constantly bring you back to loss and love. And why not? These are two of the strongest and most penetrating emotions we will ever encounter in our lifetimes.

"Daisy" is different from anything else they've put out before, but they've continued their tradition of putting out solid album packed with intelligent and deep songs and improving over their previous effort, something I didn't believe was possible with the high quality of "The Devil and God..." The one difference that may keep this from reaching that same status as I believe "Devil and God" will is that the former is more approachable for the masses and "Daisy" is darker, louder, and not quite as accessible, but in my personal view an even more amazing album from a band that seems to effortlessly put out great music. This is their 2nd masterpiece in as many tries.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wonder.., October 28, 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
if they were clever enough to name their band "Brand New" knowing that they would create a new sound with each album. I would say yes, because I believe they are geniuses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different., September 26, 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
I was a little surprised to listen through Daisy and discover a dramatically different sounding Brand New. I've been a fan of the band since before "Your Favorite Weapon", and I think their sound has continually matured in the best possible way over the years. Hands down, I'd say that "The Devil and God" is one of the strongest and most unique rock albums of the past decade.

So, Daisy was a bit of a surprise for me. The album definitely does come through with some amazing tracks that live up to Brand New's legacy: "At the Bottom", "You Stole", "Daisy", and "Noro" are really phenomenal. However, the album as a whole kind of left me cold. I was first surprised by the gramophone vignette that bookends the album. It seems a little trite and distracts from the music itself... I guess I feel that these guys are a strong enough band that they don't need gimmicks to enhance an album. Then, the band's signature rocker ballads have mostly made way for shorter, bite sized songs with an aggressive edge. In the case of the opener "Vices", they deliver a straight-up screamer track that wouldn't sound out of place on an album by The Used. While I wouldn't say that the album is bad per say, I do think it lacks the individuality and uniqueness that has made their previous releases so memorable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brand New's concept record?, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
While this is definitely not an ordinary or typical concept album i believe it does possess enough unifying elements to still be considered as one. For starters it has interwoven clips of an old gospel hymn spliced into various songs to keep the feel of the album consistent from one end to the other as well as provide a counterpoint to the bleak feel of many of the tracks. The second and main reason i feel this music qualifies as a concept record can be found in the lyrics. The lyrics, written for the first time primarily by the guitar player, all have a dark stream of consciousness feel to them. Making these basically 11 tracks of a brooding, possibly schizophrenic character's thoughts and laments. In a weird way these tracks even tell a continuous story. Not a typical one with a protagonist/antagonist/plot but this is a tale you discover by listening to the narrator's thought processes. By analyzing the narrator's declarations from start to finish you realize this album is really about the descent of an already mixed up person into a truly depressed character. The album starts with Vices which is a tell all of sorts as to where the character is at mentally. Then the songs change to discuss disturbing feelings of love that change to rejection. Then shortly after the character finds a brief glimmer of hope before finally settling for total resignation and self loathing.
So is this worth getting? I would rate this album below Deja and TDAG but above YFW. While this album does have nice moody instrumentation, it is too short and it is not lyrically flawless like TDAG. Try listening to Sink to get a good feel for the better parts of this album and if you like that song this is a definite buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy, December 21, 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
Brand New's newest album Daisy is once again a complete success from the band. One of the great things about BN, is that you can expect to hear a totally different sound in each album but one that you know you'll love. There aren't a lot of other bands I can say that about. Jesse showcases other aspects of his talent in this album. In the first track entitled "Vices" you have a glimpse of what your in for. Besides Jesse's passionate screaming,and as always phenomenal lyrics, you hear old church hymns and a lot of organic sounds. They have an incredible ear for the instrumental technique and would love to hear much more like it! You'll never go wrong buying a Brand New album. Definitely my favorite band.

5.0 out of 5 stars i see god in birds and satan in long words, October 26, 2009
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
this album sounds like a cat being tortured and just screaming for its dear life. except its jesus's cat. so its magnificent.

5.0 out of 5 stars New sound, still one of my favorite bands, December 6, 2012
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
Brand New never disappoints me when they come out with a new album and this one was no different. I will admit when I first popped it in my CD player I was surprised at how much they changed their sound with this album from "The Devil and God..." It took a couple of plays through the tracks before I could get where they were going with the album and after that I've loved it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as accessible. It takes a few listens to sink in., October 5, 2010
B. Adkins (Lynchburg, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Daisy (Audio CD)
At first listen, I wasn't sure I liked this album at all. The harsh sounds and screaming on Vices just didn't fit the Brand New that I expected. To this day (even though I enjoy screaming/metal/etc generally), I rarely listen to that song from this album.

However, I find the rest of the songs on the album (save "Be Gone"), are quite good. "Be Gone" has an awkward vocal effect used that makes the lyrics unintelligible (on purpose I'm certain), even though the music sounds fine. The rest of the songs are a pretty strong offering. I would second the notion that there's no shining gem of a song here like "Jesus" was on their previous album. That being said, I'm quite fond of "At The Bottom", "You Stole", "In A Jar", and "Noro". "Noro" is probably my favorite song out of all of them. All in all, you're looking at a solid 9 tracks out of 11.

I think this album is still strong lyrically. Jesse Lacey's signature vocabulary and vocal style (for the most part) is very present. I think that "The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me" still takes first place lyrically in Brand New's discography, though. Musically, they've taken another experimental step forward, without going overboard. Though, it still may be too far for many listeners. The sentiment about this album is much more mixed than it was for previous ones. I honestly believe it takes a few listens to be fully appreciated, and I don't expect them to cater the album to their fans. If they want to take steps forward and be experimental as a band, it's their creative choice to do so. They're doing it for themselves, not us. We just get to ride along for the process. I embrace this new work with open arms.

Overall, I think it's a great album, but it falls slightly short of "The Devil and God...", which I consider to be their deepest, strongest work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, November 24, 2012
I remember when The Devil and God came out I didn't think Brand New would ever come close to topping that album. 3 years later Daisy is still one of my favorite albums. While The Devil and God still edges it out slightly, it blows Deja Entendu away. "Bought a Bride" might be the best song Brand New has ever recorded.

Daisy
Daisy by Brand New (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies