5.0 out of 5 stars It actually did rock my world!
I do agree with some of the reviewers that Daisy can be somewhat perky and annoying in her television show - but every time I watched it, I found myself salivating over those dishes. I anxiously awaited this book, thinking about all the things I would make - especially the homemade sofrito as I was sick of buying the frozen stuff at my local bodega.

I was not...
Published on October 11, 2005 by Theresa Reed

1.0 out of 5 stars Daisy Disappoints
Published on August 7, 2010 by Joseph B. Cox Jr.

5.0 out of 5 stars It actually did rock my world!, October 11, 2005
This review is from: Daisy Cooks: Latin Flavors That Will Rock Your World (Hardcover)

I was not disappointed! This book is gorgeous to look at - nice pictures of the food and Daisy's beautiful family. And the recipes are not hard at all. I have been cooking away like a fiend - recreating many of the recipes featured on her PBS show. No one here has been unhappy - or hungry since! The sofrito recipe makes all that frozen stuff appear flavorless! We especially enjoyed the Chicken Diablo recipe - really amazing! Daisy DOES rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this cookbook!, October 6, 2005
Unlike another reviewer, I find Daisy a joy to watch and listen to. She is passionate about her cooking and not 'over the top' as some TV cooks are where you need to press the "mute" button to deal with it! I, too, tried her 'Grandma's pork chops' b/c they seemed the simplest one to get started with and they were...not to mention absolutely delicious. The marinade made them tender and moist just like she said it would; and they had such a great caramelized appearance, you ate them with your eyes before taking a bite. Hands down though, if you buy this book for her "yellow rice" recipe alone, it's worth the price of admission. It is so incredibly flavorful and delicious, I never would have thought a rice recipe would have brought me to my knees. I get WOWS everytime I serve it to someone new--even my Latina daughter-in-law! I find this book serves the purpose (for this "Italian girl") of offering up to me the basics of another culture's dishes that are new to me to make; and in the process, it demystifies it. Being a passionate cook myself, I like using new ingredients I never would have used before yet see all the time...tomatillos, yucca, chorizo, etc.. We all eyeball these items regularly in the produce dept with a feeling of reservation, not knowing what we would ever do with them, so we leave them behind. Now we can "test drive" them. I appreciate her teaching us how to make the flavor bases of many Latin dishes...sofrito, recaito, etc...similar to the pestos and tomato sauces that are common in Italian cuisine, (of which we couldn't live without). When I make Daisy's sofrito, I freeze about 1/2 cup's worth in several baggies; that way, I can easily pull one out anytime I need it. Daisy's sofrito, easy to make, is "the" big flavor to her tasty recipes! Any one of her sev'l versions of Paella (seafood, vegetable, etc.) is the only way to go. (I use authentic Spanish smoked paprika and short-grain "Bomba" rice, available online, but long-grain rice is still good). To learn about and use some of the different Latin spices, vegetables, meats, etc.--this is what makes cooking an exploration that's educational and fun. Chapters are well organized, and the book is easy to use. There is enough here in all food categories (soups, one pot meals, vegetable side dishes, snacks, etc) that anyone should find appealing enough to experiment with...and isn't that what cooking is all about anyway?

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Daisy! As always, doing her thang!, September 23, 2005
Deborah M. Hons "LoveMyBooks" (Ronkonkoma, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have been a fan of Daisy's since they began showing her cooking show this summer on PBS. She is a real person, cooking real food to those of us familiar to traditional hispanic cusuine. As another reviewer said, they are not extraordinary recipies but they all have a Daisy-fied flare and are not typical to most non-hispanics. You will learn new spins on old dishes and if you watch the syndicated program, you know that Daisy does it all from the heart. She is awesome and so is this book! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally ... an authentic ethnic cook!, December 15, 2005
Too bad The Food Network didn't pick up Daisy Martinez because she's as authentic as they get but it's just as well that she's on PBS as she is an asset to them with her cooking.

I don't believe Daisy is "too chirpy." That's her enthusiasm coming through for the viewer (and she may have to accentuate it a bit more for the cameras).

I'll say this: I'd rather deal with chirpiness than falling asleep while watching some of those boring shows on The Food Network (some of those folks barely speak above a whisper and their monotones are the perfect cure for insomnia).

I, too, like the way she included recipes that covered the majority of the Hispanic culture (Spain, being at the forefront, has a library of good food in and of itself never mind the rest of Spanish-speaking countries) but the one thing I appreciated the most from her were her tips on cooking rice. I know people who invested many years in frustration cooking rice and, upon reading Daisy's book, they actually look forward to cooking it now.

Daisy rocks because she's so authentic. She doesn't put herself out to be the quintessential Spanish cook and then turn around and cook nothing but noveau, fusion dishes.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Little Goes A Long Way, November 9, 2006
I love Daisy's show, so I purchased her book. The only recipies I have been able to make so far is her yellow rice and her white rice. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use the amount of salt she tells you to. I couldn't even eat the yellow rice my first go round. I ended up throwing the whole panful in the garbage. With the white rice I learned my lesson, and only added what I was comfortable with. It was so MUCH better. I know the yellow would have been great, but I used the last of my sofrito, so I'll have to make some more before I attempt again. Her book is written the way she is, fun, light and easy to understand. I recomend, but with a warning about salt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Daisy Disappoints, August 7, 2010
Apparently there must not be much to Latin American Cuisine in terms of exotic and maninstream foods. This book was a big disappointment. Most of the recipes were of other ethnic cuisines given a "Daisy" flair. After watching her TV series several times I was intrigued. I was looking to do some serious ethnic cooking especially exoctic Latin American, Cuban, Caribbean, and Puerto Rican fare. I wanted a book that contained many recipes with Mangos, Papayas, Jicima, Plantains, Bananas, Star Anise, various roots and tubers, with different spins on meats, poultry, and seafood. When the book arrived I was disappointed to find that it was filled with classic French, European, and American fare. For example I wasn't looking for recipes like Roasted Chicken with Garlic Rub, Shellfish Saute with Parsley Garlic Sauce, Beefsteak with Onions, Grandma's Pork Chops, Creole Style Potatoes, Fried Okra, Stuffed Artichokes, Chicken with Potatoes and Wine, Fresh Cod with Clam Broth, Mexican Flan, etc. All of these recipes were found in the book and nothing very different from the same recipes that may be found in any other cookbook on Southern, Cajun and Creole, or American fare. In fairness to Daisy, the book did have a few truly Latin American recipes like Sofrito, Achiote Oil, Yucca Fritters, and a good recipe for Cuban Sandwiches. Unfortunately the only thing about this cookbook that will 'rock your world" is the outrageous asking price. Try and find a used copy if you really must have this cookbook. Sorry Daisy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much salt! But still awesome, November 30, 2006
KAL602 (East coast) - See all my reviews
I love this book. I made the yellow rice, the stuffed pork loin (so so good), and the shrimp, scallop & clam saute dish (also great & quick too). The only complaint is that she uses way way too much salt. First time I made the meat rub it was gross because of all the salt. Need to cut back by at least 50 - 75% on the salt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Latin At Heart, July 17, 2006
When this soul food loving, African-American was asked by her Turkish-American boyfriend to prepare a Spanish fiesta for his birthday, I turned to Daisy Martinez. I'm a big fan of her cooking show because she makes everything look fun and easy. Her book is exactly the same; fun and easy. I was able to prepare a delicious, latin meal of steak, rice, beans and tomato salad for 10 people! The recipes were so simple that I memorized them the day before fooling everyone into thinking that I did it all on my own. Thanks Daisy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daisy Rocks!, September 20, 2006
Yea, Daisy....do your "thang"...as a Latina who cooks the typical Latin cuisine, I found myself wanting to try out her recipes after watching her show. Daisy puts her stamp on her recipes because she has a flair that can be found in her genuine love for culture and food. I stocked up on her "Top Ten Hits" and my kitchen has been rocking! I highly recommend this book, the instructions are clear, the pictures are mouth-watering, and the stories are endearing. I only wish they add more shows to the network. Oh yea.... when you buy this book, try the Carne Mechada (Puerto Rican Pot Roast) with the Roasted Garlic String Beans Your kitchen will sing with all of the wonderful smells and your family will thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars terrefic book - a must have!, November 15, 2005
Joohae (LONG BEACH, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
After watching her show on chicken w/ figs (i tivo-ed it, so i can write down the recipe and directions) and making the dish, I went and bought the book. chicken with figs were fabulous (go get some dried mission figs at trader joe's, it's the best).

Making sofrito was little bit of a challenge because i couldn't find culantro or ajiceto dulces, but I used her substitution recommendation from the book and the yellow rice using sofrito was something that I have never tasted anywhere! I can't wait to try other recipes that other reviewers were raving about. This is a fantastic book!

Daisy Cooks: Latin Flavors That Will Rock Your World
Daisy Cooks: Latin Flavors That Will Rock Your World by Christopher Styler (Hardcover - June 1, 2006)
$29.99