Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Daiwa Laguna 7.1:1 Gear Ratio Baitcast Reel (Right Hand Retrieve)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 23, 2012
I went fishing with it just this past wednesday and it was nice. Casting was very smooth and far with no backlash and it was cast at least 50 times or more. This baitcaste is a great buy for the money highly recommended.
on November 2, 2013
Excellent reel, its meant for fresh water, but I am using it for surfcasting for live-bait.... The Magforce Anti-Backlash Control feature is a useful function, and have not yet had any type of 'birds-nest' yet. I use a a 1 ounce sinker on a Loomis Franklin 10 ft DropShot rod... A perfect combo.... Been able to put out +50mtr casts with 12 lbs Maxima line, backlash control set on 7 ... Sufix XL Strong with a smaller diameter at the same breaking strength should take things further... Really impressed with the Drag control and the ability to reel fish in. Retrieve is fast, smooth and the reel's got immense power for its size .... Impressive reel, just a pity finance does not allow me to buy the salt-water version.... All applauses to Daiwa, once again..... ( Chris Gibbs, New Plymouth, New Zealand, +642102693944.... )
on August 30, 2012
I'm fairly new to bass fishing; I just started seriously last year. I've been using a spinning reel but have read how much better bait casting reels are. I decided to give this reel a try because it had several really good reviews and wasn't going to be a huge risk if I decided I didn't like it.

I loaded the reel with 12lb mono, hooked up a plastic worm, adjusted the spool tension and brake and hit the backyard pond. I would say that the performance was disappointing. I wasn't really getting the distance I expected, and the reel had a tendency to backlash if I really tried to go put some muscle in to the cast. The pond was full of weeds, so I kept having to clean off the lures. At one point I noticed that a little pond scum or algae had gotten into the spool. I thought it had just dropped in there while I was cleaning the lure, so I ignored it. I had just had a pretty successful cast, so being full of confidence, I let her rip. OMG! What a mess! Evidently the pond scum was attached to the line, and when it hit the first guide it basically stopped the line in its tracks. It was the biggest backlash you ever saw! I was very frustrated and decided to go in for the day.

The next day I ended up having to cut a bunch of line off the spool to get rid of the tangle. That afternoon I took the rig back to the pond for some more practice. I was determined to give this reel a reasonable effort before making up my mind. Much to my surprise, the reel behaved so much better. I was casting farther than I normally do with my spinner and absolutely no backlashes! I attribute the dramatic turnaround to loading too much line on the spool when I first got it. Once I removed the excess line, it was like night and day.

So, for the newbies out there like me, I would recommend leaving around an 1/8th of an inch unused on the spool when you load it.

The reel really does work nicely once it's been set up and loaded with the right amount of line. I would give it 5 stars but I feel like the drag star is a little awkward to use, and there is a plastic feel to the housing. Also, I keep hitting the brake adjustment while holding the reel in my palm.

All in all, I would definitely recommend the reel as a good value introduction to bait casters.
on July 4, 2013
I recently bought this for a castaway rod I purchased. This thing lets me sling my spook way out there. It is extremely smooth and the drag is really easy to set. I also might add the appearance looks really nice. I am completely sold on this product. I don't think I will be able to make myself spend more than $50 on a different reel. The only thing I can complain about is that I seem to move the magforce switch without realizing it. I think if the magforce dial was a little tighter it would be better. I will purchase more of these in the future.
on May 18, 2012
My grandson is an avid fisherman, loves this reel, says it's very smooth! Good reel and not terribly expensive! Would recommend it to anyone that enjoys fishing!
on July 15, 2012
Hi,

I highly recommend this reel, I attached it to 6'6" Quantum Response Baitcasting Fishing Rod 1 Piece Medium Heavy, (Not a combo deal, rod only) and had great luck with my combo, smooth cast, both are top quality items for the price.
on September 23, 2015
This reel has worked well for about two months, set the hook on a 5lb bass yesterday and the clutch failed. Spool release is now crooked and won't move and it sounds like a gear broke. I didn't save my receipt so we'll see how good Daiwa's customer service is.
on July 27, 2014
I've owned this for over a month and after using it 4 to 5 times a week it still performs well. One down side is that the bail switch sometimes fails to engage when the retrieve handle is turned too gently after a cast. After a cast, the retrieve handle must be turned solidly in order for the bail switch to engage. Not a big problem as it only happens after heavy use.

I have an Abu Garcia ProMax 2 and this reel performs just as good as my ProMax, and is $20 cheaper. This a good entry level baitcaster and it's a keeper, however if you want to step up, I'd recommend the Daiwa Exceler 100HSA reel. I own that reel as well and it has a 7:3:1 gear ratio and it is smoother reeling than the ProMax or the Laguna, but that reel costs about $100.
on September 13, 2012
After having reel problems on fishing tournaments and fishing trips, this is nice, smooth, and great feel. My favorite reel now!
on May 9, 2014
Performs well, casts well and better than more expensively priced baitcasters. Drag could be smoother but more than adequate for freshwater Australian fish like yellowbelly and Murray Cod. Yet to be tested on barramundi but I believe it will rise to the occasion.