Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

Format: DVDChange

on April 21, 2009
And so it ends, although there were of course two reunion sequels, one better than the other. This year was the last one for Dallas, and the cast departures for budget cuts translating to decreased ratings obviously reached it's breaking point. This season saw many players gone or with a reduced episode count, and the result was of course those viewers who were fans leaving. Despite this, I feel that anytime a soap is ending, it by definition won't be as fun as when it was going on. In retrospect, I think the only way to go was to have a sort of tragic finale where the remaining characters sort of faced their destiny. JR deals with losing everything, Bobby loses his new wife but gains Southfork, and Cliff Barnes finally gets control of Ewing Oil. The year is really about the tragedy of the two brothers as they slowly come to grips with losing much of all they ever thought was important in life-one being able to deal with it and the other not, in retrospect very well done. The series finale features JR and a devil played by Joel Grey visiting an alternate reality where JR was never born and many familiar faces from the past returned. Ultimately it is kind of a fun ride, but I must agree that it was rather unsatisfying as an ending. Fortunately we got the first reunion in 96, JR Returns, and that was a much better conclusion for fans of the show, and that will thankfully be released soon as well. So, for what it is, the last season of Dallas is really appropriate and as good as it could have been really. With Barbara Bel Geddes, Charlene Tilton, and Lesley Anne Down leaving and Barbara Stock added to the main title, also starring Jared Martin as Dusty Farlow, Gayle Hunnicut as Vanessa Beaumont, Clifton James as Duke Carlisle, and John Harkins as Control, with special appearances by Susan Lucci, Barbara Eden, Mary Crosby, Linda Gray, Joel Grey, Steve Kanaly, Jack Scalia, Ted Shackelford, and Joan Van Ark.
33 comments72 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2010
This may be the final season but it's not the end of the show and we don't complete our collection if the three tv dallas movies are not available.
ONLY when "jr returns, war of the ewings and the early years" will be released on dvd we will complete our collection SO BRING THEM ON SOON...
11 comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
This was the last season of Dallas, and I wasn't disappointed. The last show was very strange. I didn't like it. I thought everyone would come back for the last show, and they did, but it was a blast from the past. I guess that's okay. I wanted it to end a certain way, but you can't have everything. I am sadden that there's no more seasons for Dallas. It was a dangerous, and back-stabbing show, and JR should have been shot more than once because he was ruthless as they come. The man had no scruples at all.

I could have put a different ending on it, but the show was mysterious and had a lot of anticipation. I enjoyed it. I really will miss Dallas. It was one of my favorite shows up there with KNOTS LANDING, MELROSE PLACE AND DYNASTY. Television as of 2011 sucks.
22 comments7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 24, 2011
I really wanted to love it and like it but it was just plain hard since it was so boring. I don't know why it has stayed so expensive because it is so not worth it. The show just couldn't be the same without Sue Ellen, Lucy, Ms. Ellie, and Clayton. Cliff was way too mild. I know Sheree Wilson was pregnant but I think it would have been better for her to go away another way and not the stupid way they killed her. Season 14 was like they had short timmer's disease, they knew this was it so the writers didn't give a darn. I wish Dallas went off with a bang but it didn't, but being a die hard Dallas fan I had to see it. I would have been more than happy if my local library would have had this season but they didn't. Usually I don't pay much attention to when people write about bad color and clarity because I usually think that some people are too picky and want beyond perfection, but I will have to say that the color and clarity was off at some points. I wouldn't have thought this was the 14th season by the way it looked because it looked really old compared to the previous seasons.

If you have not bought this season and you have Netflix I would suggets you getting it there or the library. If you can see it without buying it you will have done yourself a financial favor. I wouldn't suggest not wasting your time and seeing it, I would just say if you don't have to purchase it then please don't unless you have extra money to throw around.
44 comments15 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2011
The later years of dallas was not as good, but still I liked it. One huge loss no Victoria Principal in the series finale. Watching the last series left me wanting more, but old JR Returns.
on September 10, 2014
The XIVth and final season of DALLAS opens with suspense done in the style of legendary director Sir Alfred Hitchcock, and ends with an ode to a classic motion picture...a Machavellian twist worthy of DALLAS. Two delectable teasers for what happens in between: A Jeannie plots to destroy J.R. and someone who's been an ally of J.R. finds out what a snake he is. To quote from my favourite motion picture, 'Don't believe me? Ask the dishes.' The final minutes of one episode literally had my heart pounding and almost screaming at the end. That's how good it was.

It's a shame that Barbara Bel Geddes left the show in Season XIII and retired from acting. The series was not really the same without her in the final season. Same with Howard Keel, who appears in less than a dozen episodes. The departing cast members really left a gaping hole in the show, which the writers did their best to fill up. Shame also that Michelle Stevens was a child-hating b---. I don't like it when a beautiful woman hates children; especially kind children, like Christopher. That is why I give this final season IV stars.

A soundtrack for the show should be made, as there are III memorable love themes in the show: one for Pam & Bobby heard mostly through the miniseries (first five episodes) and the real first season (what is known as the second season), another love theme for Pam & Bobby heard throughout Season X and a love theme for April & Bobby heard in the final episodes of Season XII, throughout Season XIII and sporadically in Season XIV. Beautiful music.

Special mention in the acting department goes to Kimberly Foster, Cathy Podewell, Barbara Stock, Sheree J. Wilson, Deborah Rennard, Susan Lucci, the woman who played Jory, Patrick Duffy and the woman who played McKay's harlot.

The Storm Ends...Or Does It?

The series was followed by two reunion movies; DALLAS: J.R. Returns (written by Executive Producer Leonard Katzman) & DALLAS: War Of The Ewings (written by Executive Producer Arthur Bernard Lewis). Both made-for-television films are included with the prequel DALLAS: The Early Years (written by series creator David Jacobs), which aired during the dream season of the show, and the reunion special DALLAS: Return To Southfork in DALLAS: The Movie Collection.
on January 7, 2014
In its 14th and final season, DALLAS goes out in a gusher of murders and kidnappings, lies and blackmail, seductions and schemes. J.R., Bobby and Cliff – three original characters so big only Big D could hold ’em – are at the heart of the action, surrounded by oil-country folks who joined the series over the years and a passel of dynamic newcomers & of course there’s that DALLAS hallmark, a white-knuckle cliffhanger.

This time it’s a 2-part finale inspired by "It’s a Wonderful Life" in which J.R.’s guardian from the great beyond shows the Lone Star State’s meanest rattler what the world would have been without him. Think everything’s for the better? Then you’re in for some surprises.

As a matter of fact, this 1990-1991 Season takes me back to memory lane to when I was 18 years and a Senior in high school, especially since DALLAS cancelled in the Spring of 1991 after its 13-year run on CBS the weekend I went to my Senior prom and a few weeks before I graduated from high school too.
on December 26, 2009
Warner Bros. has done an EXCELLENT job releasing Dallas on DVD!

As of 2010, the first 12 seasons are available on DVD, with the Thirteenth Season coming soon in April!

That just leaves One Season left for this long running prime time television Soap Opera!

Dallas - The Complete Fourteenth Season is expected to be released in 2011, or sometime later in 2010, if we get lucky!

I can't wait to have all 14 Seasons of one of the greastet soap operas that was ever created!

Hopefully, Warner Home Video will put more effort into Knots Landing and Falcon Crest, right after they finish Dallas!

Please release more seasons for both soaps!
22 comments20 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2011
Does anyone else catch a glimpse of the words "act 111" briefly before one of the scenes in the institution? I dont really recall this being part of the series........has this error been corrected?
on January 17, 2013
I was very surprised by how dynamic Season 14 is and I definitely feel that if the final two episodes hadn't been created and edited as a way to 'wrap it up' for Dallas that the show could have continued longer. Despite the few episodes that stalled things slightly while James Beaumont dissolved his marriage to Michelle, the entire season had a wide range of plot directions and introduced some new characters smoothly enough, (including a warmer and wiser family oriented J.R.), to have been a decent installment in the show's continued success. Of course, it would have been a much different product by then, and "Old J.R." would need to be up to his skillfully crafted tricks every so often...but they could have been based in his new desire to rebuild the Ewings as a family unit on South Fork, gaining a stake in the ranch for his sons and his grandson from Bobby, or wrestling Ewing Oil back from Cliff and Michelle. After reading that Season 14 was such a low point for the series that I was surprised by how good it was and I did not find it boring at all. All good things indeed must come to an end, but it didn't seem to me that Season 14 was destined to be 'it' for Dallas at all. It could easily have been a launching pad for the show, which had endured after major changes to the overall design. (I know-Spoken like a true fan-lol)!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse