Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dalluge 7180 16 Ounce Titanium Hammer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 28, 2010
I have mixed feelings about the Dalluge 16oz Titanium Framing Hammer. I have used many hammers over a number of years as a carpenter, a majority of the time I swung a 28 ounce steel Eastwing, then switched to Vaughan fiberglass to try to save the elbow. Hearing everyone talk up titanium heads for the last few years I finally gave in and decided to get the Dalluge over the Stiletto T-bone because it was a tad bit lighter and I am not crazy about the replaceable heads.
Pros:
1.Is a nice looking hammer. Not as shiny as the Douglas dimple faced framer but is unique none the less.

2.Is very light and took a day or two to get used to.

3.The side nail puller is neat and gets a good start on pulling a nail out if the head is sticking up. However the side nail puller is pretty worthless when the nail is sunk and does not pull a D16 out more than halfway so a majority of the time a person is going to use a cats paw to pull the nail since it is out anyway.

4.In theory the handles should be easy to replace since it is held on by two allen screws.

Cons:
1.The titanium waffle face wore down in about a week of light framing. I would have much preferred the golf-ball type dimpled face which is found on the Douglas.

2.The Handle broke vertically along where the holes are drilled out to attach it to the head in a matter of 3 weeks of light use "framing guns".

3.The handles are not found at every day tool/hardware stores and is a problem when on the road. Douglas handle did not line up but came very close. When I finally found a handle it split vertically down the shaft at the point where the head slides in so another 25bucks down the drain.

4.I had to baby the hammer knowing well that the handle was not as strong as advertised. "this is a hammer and should take some abuse".

5.I am not totally sold on a titanium hammer being any more efficient at driving nails than a steel hammer. I can swing the hammer faster especially upside down and over head but physics tells me that if 8 more ounces gets a hold of a nail it will sink it, but may be in my head that I have a hard time driving a D16 in a swing or 2 with this hammer compared to my old Eastwing.

6.The customer service was iffy the lady I spoke with asked me to ship the hammers to a gentleman so he could take a look at the damage me and one of my guys did snapping the handles off, and the handle which I purchased that cracked as soon as I put it on,

All in all I had a great time swinging this hammer when I first got it, was fun to hold, swing and work with. Until I had to keep tightening the bolts till I got some lock-tight on the screws then having to baby it because the handle started to crack.
I would not recommend this hammer to others because of the cons and if the company would had been a bit more helpful I would have been a bit more satisfied however I refuse to spend this much on a hammer then pay shipping to send it to who knows where. I'm guessing I would probably be told to not pull nails with this thing.
on July 23, 2015
Purchased this hammer 6 weeks ago. After reading many articles I decided the titanium head would save my joints from injury. Last week I was removing some rotten wood decking and whilst prying a nail the handle snapped just below the head. For the price I do not believe the quality of this hammer is above one star. I returned the broken hammer 2 weeks ago and heard nothing since, I am back to my faithful Estwing .
review image review image
on March 3, 2009
I have been a framing contractor for 19 years, always in search of the "perfect hammer". This Dalluge titanium hammer is currently the best one on the market. With this hammer you get the best of everything at a great price. I don't care what people say, wood handles are still the best, they are light, strong, easily replaceable and about as anti vibration as you can get. The problem has always been the weak connection between the hammer head and the handle. This problem is solved with the Douglas Head to Handle Interface Design.....The best/strongest connection on the planet. Combine the Douglas designed wood handle and head with lightweight Titanium and you have a winner. Items like these help keep the weight down on your tool belt without sacrificing anything.
Other absolutely "must have" features on this hammer include: Side Nail Puller, Magnetic Nail Set, Corrosion Proof, Straight Claw Design, Milled Face (For Framing) & Straight Handle.
This hammer is a great investment for your tool belt as well as your back. I am using this hammer with great sucess, it is definitely a keeper.
on February 16, 2016
If you are a framer, this should NOT be your next hammer. It is probably useful for other trades, but not for framing. I used a Douglas steel 22oz for 10 years and loved that hammer until someone stole it. I couldn't find a replacement so I went with this Titanium replication from Dalluge which was a lot lighter with the thought that I want to save my elbow and lighter should be better. Nope.

If you want to drive a 16d nail this hammer is simply too light. Or driving any nail given a short swing-space is a challenge. It is just too light... too insubstantial. I bought this hammer hoping to save my elbow, but I end up having to swing even harder to compensate for the lack of magnitude.

I've seen other reviews refer to the weakness of the handle. It does feel a little cheap. It feels like super new-growth wood. Light but almost like foam--airy. I have not broken my handle yet, but I could see that happening soon (after 3 months of light use). On the other hand, I only broke one handle with my Douglas and that took 6 years of heavy use.

There is a little specific danger to using this particular hammer too; perhaps related to it being titanium. I've noticed this a few times when trying to drive nails that I don't strike cleanly (tight spaces over or next to my head). If the strike isn't clean a shard of white hot shrapnel will spark off. I've never had that happen with a steel hammer but it has happened about a dozen times that I've noticed with this one. I've been hit by the shard twice and it was hot enough to burn. Not a big deal when it hits your skin.. just a sting.. but your eye might not take it so well.

This hammer has a place and a use, but it isn't for framing. Maybe electricians pounding romex staples. It is definitely good for that.

I will not '1 Star' this hammer because I realize now that I bought it for the wrong reasons and for the wrong use. It has the other features I loved about my Douglas hammer, side nail puller, flat top head, magnetic drive slot, full front and back metal plates to protect the handle. But the lack of weight to drive nails and the 'shard' effect has made me shelve this hammer.
on March 17, 2016
My husband was super excited to get this hammer... He does construction..framing and such. After the first day of use the 'waffle' on the hammer head was already noticeably worn down (similar to that of a hammer he has had for yearrrs).. Also noted the handle is not as sturdy as a normal handle..it's already showing some real signs of weakness and is starting to chip. Aside from these rather important cons... He does appreciate the fact that the hammer is only 16oz and the nail setter is great.
on June 4, 2015
I haven't had it long but I like it. The magnetic nail starter and side pull are nice features also and it just felt good to use. I prefer wood handles and this one does not disappoint. Barely knew it was on the belt at the end of the day. I can see the smooth face version in the future for decking, roofing, siding, etc. If your elbow/shoulder are getting tired, you might consider this one. It is not a demo hammer, but is for general carpentry, framing, etc. For demo work get out the steel for the weight and poundability (it that a word?)
on June 24, 2016
Good design and very lightweight. I use this in my rotation of hammers when my arm gets tired and I need a lightweight swing. The overal design is perfection. I wish the handle were of a more substantial wood but it is supposedly hickory and should hold up.
on August 19, 2014
It takes a lot less energy to swing this lighter hammer, yet deliver the same force to the nail. Over a long day, that's a lot less soreness in one's arm. Guys I work with made fun of it before they use it for 3 or 4 hours. After that, the biggest problem you'll have with this hammer is people stealing it. I wrapped mine in fluorescent orange tape, so it can be easily identified.
on January 21, 2016
Best hammer I've owned!! I've been a framing carpenter for 13 years now and I can almost guarantee I've found the only hammer I'll use again. You might see complaints about a 'weak' handle but it's no weaker than any other wooden handle. Might not be Vaughn tough but it hangs. The bolts will tend to loosen up on you and leave the handle more susceptible to a break but I've simply wrapped mine a couple times w sports tape and that not only strengthens the handle but the main objective was to keep the bolts tight. Fingernail polish works ok too. It holds but allows the threads to break free if replacement of your handle is needed. Waffles wear a little faster than normal steel hammer but I'm guessing you didn't buy this hammer for the waffles. They hold better than the stiletto waffles anyway. Nice balance and side puller is great. Pulls about half the nail out than rotate and use side puller in a front to back way (rather than side to side like you do to start)and it finishes the job easy. Elbow feels great and I also love the flat claws. Makes getting under a wall or prying lumber apart better; even if only slight bonus it is one.
on May 25, 2016
milled down the handle myself for finger grips as well etched and stained details into the handle since a few people i work with carry dalluge hammers. After the framing stage of a large remodel job the head is a bit worn. other wise it hits great and feels great to use.