Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on June 12, 2012
I was reluctant to order this at first due to a lot of comments around the packaging of the unit and them showing up with dents and scratches. When the unit arrived the outside parcel was a bit torn. However the seller must have taken the feedback that was given and made some changes as my unit was in perfect condition without a single scratch or dent. It was double boxed. The OEM box has the unit inside with a Styrofoam shell. Then the EOM box was lined with stiff cardboard corners and wrapped in Styrofoam around that and then placed in an additional box. Only the outer box had a slight tear. Given the weight of the unit it was expected. Don't hesitate to order this unit as I'm certain it will show up in perfect condition. Even if we were to order an additional one I wouldn't be worried.

The unit itself is made of quality materials. I placed a digital thermometer inside the unit and it holds a solid 37 degrees inside. Keep in mind this is a minifridge and not a cooler. A major difference. The only complaint I have about the unit is that we have it downstairs behind our bar. Not in the bar but behind it sitting on the carpet. When placed on the carpet the door would drag the carpet and after our first basement break in party the door was left slightly open a few times because the door was difficult to shut. I tried to adjust the feet to raise the unit up but was unable to do so because the legs are not adjustable. I happen to have an extra 18X18 tile from the bathroom. I sat the unit on top of the tile and it solved the problem. The door open and shuts perfectly. Keep in mind we do not have shag carpet either. It is a medium density stainmaster carpet with standard stainmaster padding. If you plan to place this in a carpeted area do yourself a favor and go purchase an 18X18 tile.

As others have mentioned the shelves don't hold cans the best when you go to fill it as some tip from side to side when placed vertical. I removed the second from the bottom shelf to hold 4-5Liter kegs. I can hold exactly a case of beer in the bottom section which is not as deep as the others since the compressor housing is in the way. Which leaves me with the top full shelf and the very top shelf that holds them in a horizontal fashion. The horizontal shelf holds a 12 pack 6 on each side. Without the removal of a shelf this unit will not accommodate 16oz water bottles or beer bottles placed vertically. These will need to be placed on their sides unless you remove a shelf.

Overall I would give this fridge a 5 out of 5 or 10 out of 10. It servers our purposes perfectly and it looks great, and it was at a great price point. If I had to make a couple of changes or a wish list. I wish it used an LED bulb for that newer look. Additionally, I wish the light could be turned on when the door was shut since it is a glass face to showcase the drinks inside. UPDATE: Finds out there is a switch inside on the side of the light to turn it on. Check that off the lsit! Other than that it's the perfect height and the top is being used to hold our EdgeStar 5Liter Kegerator. Which places the tap at the perfect height and I am 5'10".

All in all don't hesitate to purchase this unit as I searched for several weeks and really did my homework before ordering a mini fridge for our bar when we finished the basement. I assure you that you will not find a better product at this price point.

UPDATE: Over a year later this thing is still ice cold and no issues. Look no furhter, the perfect minifridge holds true!!!
1717 comments|325 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 18, 2014
I began researching a variety of cooling devices to store my ever-growing collection of beers and was frustrated by the dearth of information readily available for such storage. Dedicated beer refrigerators/coolers were far more expensive than their wine cooling counterparts and, given that I was looking to keep the cost relatively low, I was unwilling to shell out more than $300 for one. After seeing the wide variety of thermoelectric coolers available, I was initially reticent to purchase a refrigerator because it seemed like there was a steep price differential between the two. The more I considered proper beer storage and read about the aforementioned coolers though the less comfortable I was with using them.

Ultimately, I came across the Danby DBC120BLS Beverage Center and liked what I saw in terms of the price, the reviews, and the product itself. I liked also that at least a few people were using it to store beer and so I made my purchase. I wound up setting it up last night and discovered a few things that I thought would be of interest to anyone else in search of something to use as a beer cellar.

BEST ASPECTS OF USING THE DANBY BEVERAGE CENTER FOR BEER CELLARING

1. The adjustable temperature range covers a wide assortment of beers. Usually the target temperature for aging beer is between 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit. Many of the thermoelectric coolers feature extremely narrow ranges with the LOWER end being closer to the low 50s (which means that it would have to work essentially at max capacity at all times just to maintain the temperature). Plus, if there are any temperature fluctuations, say, of five degrees or more, you could wind up impacting the long term quality of your beers. The 43-57 degree range of the Danby is great because it affords more leeway, particularly if you live in an area that gets particularly warm in the summer thereby creating a substantial temperature differential between the interior and exterior of the refrigerator.

2. At the $200 price point, you'll be hard-pressed to find better capacity. By comparison, most of the wine cellars available at and around $200 hold less than 20 bottles and, in most cases, 18 or fewer. Depending upon what you are aging beer-wise, you will easily store double that amount or better with the Danby.

3. The removable shelves provide flexible storage layouts. Again, depending upon what you're looking to age, you will have a variety of options in terms of how to store your stash. The single most limiting aspect though is the type(s) of bottles that you're looking to age. When it comes to cellaring beer, the common best-practice is to store it upright, especially if the beer is corked. The problem with this is the fact that most corked bottles tend to be of the larger variety (750ml) and thus take up much more space than their twelve ounce counterparts.

The existence of multiple shelf grooves will allow you to make the most of the space available but only to a certain degree. One of the photos for this unit had a comment that the user was able to get 49 twelve ounce bottles and 4 bombers for a total of 53 bottles. None of the bottles appeared to be corked and a few were being stored sideways--something to consider, again, if you have a variety of beer bottle types.

As for my current setup, I have the top-most shelf in along with a single shelf towards the bottom dividing the interior into three zones. At the bottom I currently have 8 large bottles including three corked 750mls, 1 uncorked 750, and four bomber sized bottles along with 6 smaller bottles, two of which are corked. Now, you won't be able to take advantage of the full space on the lowest level because there is a small portion that juts out to allow water to drain towards the compressor during the automatic defrosting cycle. Having the corked bottles standing on a wire shelf ABOVE this point should allow you to get more in...but the thought of overloading the shelf and losing bottles of Black Tuesday and the Firestone barrel aged series made me anxious. Instead, I opted for the security of the ground level at the expense of housing a few more bottles (which, at present, I don't have).

On the middle shelf I have 29 bottles approximately half of which are the standard slender 12 oz and half are the stubbier, slightly fatter bottles; these are all vertical as well. Lastly, I have six bottles stored on their side in two pyramids on the special top shelf. You lose a little bit of space at the very top so that you can keep the fan clear (the shelf is designed specifically for this purpose) so you can't make use of the ENTIRE interior.

In total though, with nearly a dozen very big bottles, I was able to get a total of 49 bottles into the unit. They are perfectly chilled at the moment and, with any luck, they will remain that way for a long time to come.

The bottom line: if you're looking to cellar beers then this is the ideal unit with which to do so!
review image
2727 comments|435 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2013
So far, I am very pleased with this beverage center refrigerator. I think the company listened to some of the complaints and concerns of previous buyers and made some improvements to this model. For instance, our unit does have leveling feet in the front. The owner's manual does explain how to turn on the light so it stays on with the door closed. (Unfortunately, the light bulb is still incandescent, not LED. That would be a nice improvement but would probably add to the price.)

The wire shelves really aren't too bad. After reading some of the reviews here, I was planning on putting some shelf liners in or cutting some pieces of plate glass to fit on them to keep the drink cans upright. But again, I believe the company redesigned the shelves, adding more wires to them because we haven't had too many issues with cans tipping over.

In terms of performance, this unit is very quite and cools quickly. No clicking sounds as others have reported. I put a refrigerator thermometer in it so I could perfectly set the temperature. Contrary to what others reported, you can make this unit quite cold. I have it set to around 36 degrees F. according to the thermometer. I have had no problems with the drinks freezing on the bottoms shelf.

The unit arrived well-packed, double boxed with no dents or cosmetic defects.

One thing that I think may be causing problems for other buyers: Be sure to let the unit stay in its normal, upright position for about 5 hours after unpacking it and before plugging it in and turning it on. (This is not specified in the manual, except in one place that explains how to reverse the door so it opens the other way, and there it says to wait for one hour before turning the unit back on after tilting it backwards or laying it on its side.) All refrigeration systems have oil in the compressor that can get into the coils when the unit is tilted out of the vertical position. You need to let the unit sit for a few hours so all the oil can drain out of the coils and back into the compressor before turning it on. Otherwise, you shorten the life of the compressor. This may be why a few people complained that the unit was making loud clicking noises or not cooling very well. We can barely hear the compressor when it turns on and the internal fan is nearly silent.

I have only had this beverage center running for about a week, so if I run into any issues with it in the future, I will update this review.
33 comments|233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2016
After reading several reviews, I bought this fridge (along with about $200 worth of beer) for my husband's Christmas present. I wanted a fridge with transparent door (so that we could see when we are running low) and something that could hold a good amount of beverages (so that we don't have to use our main fridge for storage). This fridge works great for our needs.

It took us some time to figure out the shelves, but eventually we found a method we like. The bottom/first row is not a shelf, but there is a half shelf that goes right above it. This area is great for storing taller cans like the Red Bull shown in the picture or in our case, Bud Light Lime cans (which are now tall and skinny) and some craft beer that came in a four pack with taller cans. We arranged the top shelf to be just tall enough to stand cans up. The other two shelves we arranged to allow for one shelf of bottles and one more shelf for cans. We had one shelf that was not used in our setup. Our setup can hold 30 bottles (but more like 25 comfortably) on the bottle shelf, 15 cans on the top shelf, 30 cans (but more like 25 comfortably) on the other can shelf, and on the bottom shelf, since it is about half-size, can fit about 18 Bud Light Lime cans total.

I learned some things I didn't know as we tried to set up and install the product. By standard, the door will open on the left, but you can modify it to open on the right. It looked like too much work for us (okay, we're just lazy) so we kept it opening left. Also, the light at the top of the fridge will turn on when you open the door only by default, but there is a toggle button on the left side that will keep the light on all the time if you prefer the "lit" look.

Per some of the other very helpful reviews and customer photos on Amazon I did purchase a couple of add-on products for about $30 total:
--> This end table, so that my tall husband didn't have to squat all the way to the floor for something on the bottom shelf: DHP Parsons Modern End Table, Black Wood Grain
--> These flexible chopping mats so that the cans & bottles don't "tip" on the grill. This mat fix perfectly on the shelf with no cutting required. You need to place the mat shiny side down and matte side up so that cans and bottles will slide on it. We only had to make one modification to the mat for the first shelf, which is kind of a half-shelf, where the width of the mat was slightly smaller and we had to cut a notch for the mat to fit on the shelf.Flexible Chopping Mats 4 Pack.
--> This string of LED lights for which we attached to the inside of the door via scotch tape (we'll see how long that lasts). The battery pack in this product happens to fit perfectly in a unusable notch area on the bottom/second shelving area, if the door opens on the left (since that is where the notch in the shelf is) Rtgs Micro LED 20 Super Bright Cold White Color Lights Battery Operated on 7.5 Ft Long Silver Color Ultra Thin String Wire [NEWEST VERSION] + 100% RTGS Products Satisfaction Guarantee

So ultimately, it would be fantastic if this fridge utilized glass shelves or smaller grates, and had LED door lighting, but the mods were cheap and easy enough to do on our own.

I have posted some photos to show you our shelving set up and a comparison of the LED string lights to the interior light.

My only other note is that from back to front this fridge fits exactly five (5) bottles or cans. So, like most people, if you're buying beverages in multiples of six, this can be a little frustrating if your'e going for an organized, store-front look. This problem is easily solved by drinking one of those beverages as you put it into the fridge.
review image review image review image review image review image
on August 10, 2007
The minimum operating temperature, as stated in the owner's manual, is only 42.8 degrees. That means you can't even keep milk in this fridge. When I called Danby to figure out why they would make a fridge that doesn't actually refrigerate, I was told that it can also be used for wine. That's fine, but this unit is clearly designed for cans, which is why I bought it. If I wanted to store wine, I would have bought one of Danby's many wine refrigerators. If you enjoy pop and beer at only 25 degrees below room temperature, then I guess this is the fridge for you. I've never been able to get the fridge below 45 degrees, it's basically useless.

One more thing, before you think that perhaps I got a defective product, I assure you, this is how the fridge is designed. If you insist on buying one, I would suggest getting it locally at a store with a good return policy.
44 comments|70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
I wanted a fridge for my bar area that would keep just bottles of beer and other bar things cold. So when I purchased this fridge I read it might be loud but it is definitely one of the coldest fridges. When I first received the Fridge I followed all the guidance even a little too much by letting it sit out for 2 days before plugging it in and making sure it had room to breath. My first fridge however never got cold, in fact stayed very hot. In the back what I think was the condenser was very hot to touch as the fridge was trying to blow cold air. I called up Danby customer service who was very apologetic and helpful in walking me through some steps and informing me to just request a replacement fridge from Amazon as this one seemed to be broken.

So I went through and quickly received a second fridge from Amazon, which I once again followed all guidance and plugged in. This time the fridge actually started to feel as though it was blowing cold air. But to be fair it does not feel cold enough for what I wanted from my bar fridge. Even storing as little as 15 drinks in the fridge none of the drinks were cold enough to drink without getting ice, or putting into a second fridge. I never got a temperature reading but even on the coldest setting the drinks were just not cold enough for what I wanted. For some this cold level may be fine but it wasn't what I was looking for in my fridge.

I do appreciate the help I received from Danby customer service and the quick turnaround from Amazon on the fridge but this Fridge is just not for me. I have returned the second fridge and will begin to look for another model that is a bit colder.
22 comments|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2014
This beverage center proved to be a very bad purchase for our family. However, at the end of my bad-news story, there is a happy ending.

The first Danby DBC120BLS Beverage Center we ordered lasted 3 months before it stopped working. No warning; it just died a mysterious and unexpected death. Amazon was wonderful and quick to replace the lemon, which we hauled to the street for city pickup. The second (identical) Danby functioned but was so terribly loud that the noise intruded on conversations, TV watching, napping, and everything else connected with daily living. Our oversized fridge, in the same room, was silent compared to the little-but-clamorous Danby Beverage Center. The noise was driving us crazy, so we contacted Amazon.

Amazon told us to contact the manufacturer, and the manufacturer told us to contact Amazon. (You know how THAT goes.) If we were to hope for a replacement, Danby required an authorized technician to examine the appliance. We scheduled a visit and waited (and waited) our turn. The technician agreed the noise was abnormally loud. He said the Danby needed a new compressor, which would cost more than the purchase price of a new unit. He suggested that Danby simply replace the appliance.

Despite the authorized technician's written report, Danby squabbled about a refund. We were, however, welcome to crate and ship the unit back to them -- a heavy-lifting project that would end up costing as much in handling/shipping as the mini-fridge itself. (You can imagine our frustration.) Long story short: Danby non-cheerfully sent us a refund for the beverage center, which we unplugged and got rid of ASAP. Now what? We still needed a beverage center to fill the hole in our kitchen. We certainly were not willing to try another Danby, although it was the exactly-right size for our cabinetry.

Here's the solution: First, we searched online for all beverage centers of appropriate dimensions, including units that were smaller than the above Danby. Next, we researched each of the units on our list to compare features, price, and RATINGS FROM CUSTOMERS. Because excessive noise is a common complaint in these little fridges, we did not want to order a new one (of any brand) and get stuck, again.

We found a beverage center that looked good on paper and was not criticized for noise: Summit Model SCR312L. We had never heard of this brand before. We found out it was sold online by a "big box" store but was not available in-store. We spoke with the local store manager, told her we were interested in the Summit, but would need to plug it in at the store to listen to it before we committed to it. She agreed to order it for us; no problem... Well, the Summit SCR312L passed the test! It cools AND it is quiet! It isn't as tall as the Danby, but it holds a lot more than it looks like it will hold, which is enough for us. We use the excess space at the top to store a decorative box filled with extra beverages... Did I mention that this little fridge is quiet? ... My intention is not to promote Summit here. But I am suggesting that you find a way to see and hear the product before installing it in your home. We learned the hard way.
on July 4, 2014
My third fridge to hold part of my beer collection. It maintains temperature well. As someone else mentioned, I went out and bought a large tile from the local hardware store for it to sit on. This really helps lift the fridge // door off of the carpet. I modified the bottom shelf to take off the raised wire, and rearranged the shelves to allow me to fit 50 12oz beer bottles and 4 "bombers". Fridge has been operating for about 6 months now without any issues.

I have a picture of the fridge stocked with a few notes on Amazon for reference.
on April 17, 2012
I received my fridge a few days ago, set it up according to the instructions and all is well. It wasn't damaged when I received it. I filled it with Coors Light and the "Super Cold" blue temperature stripe on the cans is solid blue. One caveat, Coors Light has a little different shaped can (skinnier and taller) so it doesn't quite hold as many cans as the unit advertises. I could only get 93 cans in to but that wasn't a big concern for me. One other slight nuisance is that I have this on carpet and it only has one leveler on the bottom which isnt quite long enough to lift it above the carpet too much so when you open the door, the bottom of the door drags a little on the carpet. Other than those two things, it's keeping the beer icy cold. It's not loud at all for me. It did warm up alot when it was first cooling but now that its reached its cooling point, it's not running warm at all. One plus is that my Krups BeerTender B100 fits on top perfectly! I'd recommend it especially at this price point. It was originally $65 more but I found it for this price on another website and reported it to Amazon and within 2 days they lowered the price so I ordered it here. Thanks, Amazon!
on December 21, 2013
This fridge works great. Keeps my drink cold on the Mid setting. I keep craft beers in here and I know it's not suppose to be on a really cold setting. I also store a few glasses in here as well. The shelving is not the best for bottles but it's manageable. I reversed the door and was able to make it self closing after removing the switch that turns the light off.

*Update on shelving. I purchased some cheap poster frames that come with plexiglass instead of real glass. I cut the the plexiglass to fit each shelf which prevents the bottles tipping/leaning over.

I read all the complaints about packaging and the unit arriving damaged. The packaging was great and showed no signs of damage. There was a good amount of Styrofoam to protect it. However when I took the Fridge out of the box the bottom left corner of the door was dented. This must have happened before the packaging process.
review image review image review image