Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 9, 2010
I had never heard of Danby until I started looking for a small under-counter dishwasher for a small space. Then I discovered that Danby is one of the biggest companies nobody had ever heard about. (Note that the review template from Amazon doesn't mention the name.) Those who had used the units were satisfied and so I ordered one. Boy, was I in for a pleasant surprise. The unit was easy to install (though the instructions were confusing) after cutting out the opening, but the surprise came when we started using the unit. For one thing, it calls for a rinse product as well as dishwasher soap, and for another, it has a built-in water softener, very important here in western Minnesota. What blew me away was how clean the thing got our dishes, even without the rinse product. I've had Kenmore and I've had Kitchen Aid, and THIS IS THE BEST DISHWASHER I HAVE EVER HAD! Especially for under $400.00, shipping and all! I may change my tune a year or five down the line, but this little Danby is built like a Sherman tank, and with high quality all down the line. Based on my limited experience, I can recommend this item highly.
77 comments|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2010
My fiance and I ordered this little dishwasher through a local appliance store to replace an older dishwasher in our apartment. We ended up paying $274 w/taxes as it was immediately discounted $50 for qualifying for NJ Energy Efficient Appliance Rebate. Delivery was smooth and installation was not difficult (~1.5 hrs). We read a lot of reviews online and it seemed that this one had the best balance between price and rating. We could not be happier with our choice. The machine is quiet and does a wonderful job. There no need to spend double the price on other dishwashers as it has many features of full-size dishwashers; if space is an issue.
33 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2011
I have a very small kitchen in my new home and had one cabinet that could fit the Danby. I purchased it on the basis of the positive reviews here on Amazon and elsewhere on the internet. The reviews are accurate. This little machine has sufficient space for a small kitchen operation and effectively cleans and dries dishes, cups and glasses, pots and pan, silverware, etc. Without any pre-washing, I have yet to remove any item properly positioned in the Danby that was not thoroughly cleaned and dried. The rinse aid functions effectively and removes any water streaks from glassware. The interior is stainless steel and has the appearance of a higher-end dishwasher. It is relatively quiet in operation. The "normal" cycles takes, on average, about 2 hours to complete, although I have not timed it exactly.

You will need additional items to complete the installation of the Danby, which are detailed in the installation manual. E.G., you will need electrical wiring, a hot water hose, and other typical dishwasher attachments. The less handy should likely consider hiring a plumber and electrician to perform the installation.

My only complaints are the following: (1) the exterior and controls have a cheap plastic appearance; the exterior seems like it could be easily scuffed; (2) the bottom rack, because it is completely independent of the washer, sometimes rolls awkwardly on the rack tracks; (3) the Danby emits a single "beep" that repeats in 30 second intervals or so when the door is ajar. I like to keep the door slightly ajar on occasion to make sure any excess moisture evaporates. This warning beep can be avoided merely by pressing the power button and turning the unit off. It is still a minor annoyance. None of these complaints is so significant that I would lower my 5-star rating.

In conclusion, after a months use I would recommend this dishwasher to anyone in the market for an 18 inch dishwasher.
44 comments|35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2010
This is a great little space saving machine! It cleans marvelously, is easy to use, and features a stainless steel interior! It really surprised me with how well it cleans. Dishes came out sparkly.

I think this little machine does a better job than some of the older, larger dishwasher models for sure and the price makes everything sweeter.

The rollers on the bottom make it easy for one person to 'install' and move as needed.

Mechanical dials are simple and durable.

I am glad I purchased this machine.

This Danby is a little star!
on May 21, 2011
Purchased this machine while renovating our tiny beach house. I could fit no larger than this one. I am totally delighted with the dishwasher. It is sturdy, amazingly quiet and uses very little water which is important for a house with a septic system.
Very happy with the machine and would recommend it to others. The reviews were very helpful.
on February 25, 2012
After running a few loads through this dishwasher I have to say it does a nice job. It is very quiet and does a good job on the dishes.

If I was to design this dishwasher I would change a few things. First off, even though thy say you can fit all those dishes in there, you really can't, unless you have the exact same dishes as they use in the picture. Now every one knows that if you buy a dishwasher this small you can't put that much into it. The spacing on the rings of the bottom rack is way to close together for the dishes we have. So it is tough to fit them in. They need to spread the rings apart a bit more and not worry so much about fitting in a lot of just one style of dishes into it.

They also have added some snp on holders, is the best way I can describe them, to the upper rack. The thing is, you really don't know what they are for. Nothing in the owners manuel says what you can use them for. I tried to put the stem of a wine glass into it, but it is set to high for the rack to go all the way in, so I just took them off. The dishwasher also came with another item that I have no idea what it is for. Again, nothing in the owners manuel says anything about it.

One last thing. The glides on the racks seem cheep. I guess I will see how long they last
on January 25, 2012
Bought this product based on other buyer's reviews, and I am impressed. Great machine. Please be aware that this item, like many other kitchen appliances, does Not come with a powercord (they can be purchased separately at Lowe's, Home Depot, or the like for cheap).
on February 25, 2012

on March 15, 2012
Works really well on plastic leftover containers and glass cups. Have had trouble finding the salt required for the built-in water softener. Have had instances where food deposits are left on plates. Overall I am satisfied.
on August 2, 2014
Excellent little dishwasher. We purchased this 2 years ago and I have had no problems with it. It cleans great and I am very pleased with it. I call it my Barbie doll dishwasher because it is small and fits perfect in the spot that was made for. I highly recommend this if you need a small but great dishwasher.