5.0 out of 5 stars A real life-saver!
Published on January 27, 2011 by Susola

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful Design, But Just Doesn't Work
Most air conditioners are incredibly ugly, but I loved the design of this Danby AC. It has a lot of nice touches, like a little form-fitting cutout for the remote when you're not using it. It's pretty energy-efficient for a portable, and I was totally psyched when I bought it. . . except for the fact that it didn't cool my room worth a damn.

At 7000 BTU, this...
Published on July 7, 2010 by cherryblue

5.0 out of 5 stars A real life-saver!, January 27, 2011
This review is from: Danby DPAC7099 - PORTABLE AIR CONDITIONER DPAC7099 (Kitchen)
Last July when temps were topping 90+ here in NYC, I was desperate to get a portable air conditioner that worked. My friend and I bought this at PC Richard in our neighborhood. It was the last one the store had. It was a total lifesafer! What was great was that we have horizontally-sliding windows that are about 60 inches high. The installation kit fit perfectly. The instructions were easy. Took me under an hour to install. Turned it on and the apartment (which is apx. 550 square feet, top floor of a high rise building) was cool and comfortable in 2 hours. It was quiet, much quieter than casement or window a/c's. Plus it has a great remote that fits in a slot on the top of the a/c, and is very easy to adjust, make temp higher/lower. I only used the a/c setting, never used the dehumidifier or fan, but it worked like a dream.

I love this air conditioner! I plan to buy the 9,000 BTU one for next summer, since this one is only 6,000 BTU's and not quite cool enough when the temps are much higher, but it worked nicely. I highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful Design, But Just Doesn't Work, July 7, 2010

At 7000 BTU, this AC is rated to cool 250 square feet, and I was using it in a 190 square foot room, so I thought it'd be more than enough. Instead, it was only able to cool the room by about 3-4 degrees even after running all night. In fact, when I woke up in the morning it was actually cooler outside than it was inside the room where I'd been running the AC at full blast. Geez, Louise!

I returned this unit and replaced it with a 6000 BTU window unit by Frigidaire. Even though the Frigidaire is smaller, it's much quieter and was able to cool my fairly small bedroom from 100+ and humid (we're in the middle of a major heat wave in the Northeast right now) to about 72 degrees in about 90 minutes.

I had a portable AC by Maytag that lasted about 7 years and worked very well, so I know it's possible to make a portable that does the job, but this Danby was just nowhere near as good as it looks. I'd give it one star, but the design is so much better than everything else out there that I'll throw them a star for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this thing, August 16, 2012
I bought this about two months ago when one of my two house units failed, so I'd have a backup. It's since been repaired but this is a good fill in. We live in a hurricane area and after the storms in Virginia a couple of months ago and power out for a week in 90 degree temps I thought this would be a good backup since it only takes 6 amps to run it and I can run it on my backup generator. Well, so far none of that has happened so I decided to try it out in my bedroom, about 200 sq ft. We keep our house at 75 degrees during the day but like to sleep at about 72. I was cooling the whole house down to 72 to get there. With this in the bedroom and set to 72, it cools us down easily in a half hour and I don't run the big AC unit to cool the rest of the house. I've already seen a reduction in my power bill because of it. We enjoy the white noise the fan makes and the blue light doesn't bother us at all. Of course you must use the window vent pipe to get the AC to work. I found I had to insulate the pipe to get it to work properly. This was done just by folding a heavy sweatshirt over the pipe.
My only complaint is the timer is not a clock style. It's set to turn off in so many hours or turn on in so many hours.
Our test trial in the bedroom has become a permanent fixture with two months of use.

3.0 out of 5 stars Item was DOA Great Service From Amazon, May 25, 2011
G. A. Marconi (Baltimore, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This item was advertised as used - excellent condition. This item was sold by a vendor and fulfilled by amazon. When the unit arrived, the box was in terrible condition. Bottom was soaking wet and barely attached to the rest of the box. The unit must have been tipped over at some point because it was covered with oil. After unpacking everything, I tried to power the unit on with the remote control. Unit would not power on. Opened the back of the remote to find the batteries heavily corroded and the contacts rusty.

Tried the power button on the unit and the unit came on. The display on the unit read 76 degrees which was the room temperature. I let the unit run for about 6 hours,with the temperature set on 68 degrees. The room temperature never went below 76 degrees. Let the unit sit a couple of days and tried to run it again but it would not cool. I contacted Danby to see if I could get service to the unit under the warranty. There were several service locations near me that serviced Danby appliances but none of them services air conditioners. At this point, I decided to return the unit.

The returns process through Amazon was painless. They paid for return shipping and UPS came to the house to pick up the unit. As soon as I get the credit for this unit, I will be ordering another air conditioner from amazon.com. Can't say enough good things about Amazon's customer service. Don't think I will purchase another Danby product again because there is no place in my area to get it serviced.

5.0 out of 5 stars can't beat the price, March 11, 2010
I really haven't had a chance to use the unit since it is still winter but i have tried it. as far as i can tell, it works great. it doesn't take up a large amount of space in my sunroom where it gets quite hot during the summer months. the only "complaint" i have was it's shipping. i was very concerned since there wasn't any padding. however, it doesn't look like anything was broken