5.0 out of 5 stars One and a half years, going strong!
This is my original review of this washing machine, posted shortly after I received it:

------
Published on April 3, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd known...
Published on November 23, 2010 by justinglen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One and a half years, going strong!, April 3, 2010

------
This washing machine is both unusual and very fantastic. It gives you much more control over your washing process, as well as your water usage. This is important if you are trying to cut down your water bill, or if you are merely trying to be ecologically responsible like I am.

The "twin-tub" washing machine model was popular in the U.S. in the 1940's and 50's; they are still very popular in the UK, Australia, the Middle East, and Asia. It's really cool Danby makes a model for the U.S. market.

You control how much water you fill the tub with - the input hose connects straight to the tap, and you adjust the heat and pressure of the water, etc, directly from your faucet. This is a good feature as it means the hose does not need to be pressurized, which means you are less likely to have leaks. Since the washing tub and most of the rest of the washer is plastic you can not use water over 120 degrees. But not washing clothes with piping hot water will also conserve energy, and the washer only weighs about 65 to 70 lbs due to its mostly plastic composition. (The washer is on casters which roll back and forth - it'd be nice if they rolled side to side too, but since the washer is so light-weight, it's not hard to slide sideways.)

There is a low, medium, and high water setting - the highest setting holds about 15 gallons. The tub holds a surprising amount of clothing (about 6 to 7 lbs, although it says 10 lbs): I can do a week's worth of my laundry in here easily in one load (e.g. several shirts, a few dresses, several pairs of tights, a few pairs long underwear, several pairs of socks all at once). I can also wash a queen size flannel sheet set (fitted sheet, regular sheet, and 2 pillow cases) in one wash, with room for more.

The washer has an intermittent agitation method, and 2 wash settings (gentle and normal) - I've found it gets my clothes very clean. It is somewhat inconvenient that the spinner only holds about half of what the washing tub holds, but I can deal with that. The good thing is that the spinner spins at 1400 to 1600 rpms and gets one's clothes half dry just from the spin. Clothes dry within several hours, or overnight, on a drying rack after a wash.

You control the number of washes and rinses manually just by repeating either or both yourself. You can set a wash/rinse cycle from 1 to 15 minutes. A spin cycle can be set from 1 to 5 minutes. If you need an extra wash or soak, just fill the tub with water and detergent and let your clothes soak before setting and starting the wash cycle.

This washer is not very loud, but it's not entirely silent either. If you are worried about it being heard by neighbors I think it very likely any sounds can be effectively masked by playing music. I cannot hear it running inside when I go outside my apartment and listen.

You save on energy and water use with this washer; the compromise is you put more manual energy into the process - switching your clothing from the wash tub to the spinner, and back again, etc (you will want to invest in a pair of rubber dish-washing gloves, otherwise you'll have to get your hands very wet). So, it's not for everyone. But there's lots of room for ingenuity, e.g. re-using the wash and rinse water for multiple loads if you'd like and conserving water this way.

Overall, I love this washer. It is very liberating to not have to go to the laundromat anymore, and I like the control I have over the wash process and my resource consumption with this. I would give it 10 stars if I could!
--------

One and a half years, and many loads later, I am happy to say it is still working wonderfully. I have had no problems with any of the motors (agitator, spinner, or pump), and virtually no problems with leakage.

One minor issue: I have found that the area where the hose from the faucet connects with the machine can leak a little bit if the hose isn't positioned _just right_ and although it hasn't caused any major problems, I will probably look into sealing up that connection in the future.

The only other issue I had was with the faucet adapter that comes with the washer - about 8 months into its use it somehow became stripped and wouldn't screw onto the faucet anymore. I had to order a new one from Danby (in fact I ordered two in case I had similar issues with the new one too), and customer service was very friendly and efficient, the replacements arriving quickly. I have not yet had problems with the second adapter; I'm being very careful to avoid damaging its delicate threads.

I would also like to slightly amend my assessment of its noise level: Although I *have* actually been able to hear the machine running outside my apartment now, I still think the machine's noise could be effectively masked with music or a loud movie if you're worried about a landlord or a tattling neighbor.

All in all, I'm still really really happy with this purchase!

5.0 out of 5 stars save money, do smaller loads, air dry, do as the Asians and Europeans do, September 13, 2009
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
I love this machine and would recommend it to people who understand and appreciate the below points.

If you have lived in Asia or Europe, you have seen some version of this machine before, on peoples' porches and patios.

One powerful idea is you control how many times you want to rinse (I love double and triple rinsing my clothes - get the dirt AND the detergent out!). You control how many minutes to agitate. You can customize how you want to do your clothes. It's super for soaking and gentle-agitating your fine washables - use a mesh laundry bag! Soak as long as you like - it's not the laundromat!

The best idea is the super efficient centrifuge like spinner. Yes, it's the flap side on the right, yes, you have to load that side separately. However, the spinner is so fast, faster than the spin mechanism in ANY other type of washing machine, that your clothes are just moist, not sopping wet when they come out. This means your clothes will air dry pretty fast! I would guess that not even the best conventional washing machines spin clothes as well as this spinner.

That's why the spinner in this machine is separate - it's a completely different function.

This design is why they don't use clothes dryers in Asia and Europe - because of the centrifuge spinner.

As for load size, I do laundry for two adults and one 5 year old every couple of days - I hate letting a week of dirty stuff pile up. It would be hell to air dry a week's worth of wet clothes. However, doing smaller loads more frequently allows you to avoid using the clothes dryer. You can have fewer clothes, too. Another $$ saver. (Having more underwear and socks is NOT the answer!)

The dryer not only costs $$ and is ecologically incorrect, it destroys and shortens the life of your textiles so you do want to avoid using it anyway, right?

The small footprint means it fits nicely in our small Manhattan apartment's half bathroom. I doubt any other machine would fit in there. No installation is necessary - you just need a sink. The casters make moving it around easy. It's pretty lightweight - I am a petite woman and I can move it myself. In our prior apartment, it slid around nicely in our small kitchen.

For the best reviews, see [...]- there are like forty reviews there, more fair and comprehensive than the two here.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I'd known..., November 23, 2010
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
I bought this model from a scratch n' dent online auction for about $150, but first I came here to read up on the many, many compact washers out there. I was sold on this one because of the separate, super-high-speed spin dryer, which I read would make the compact dryer I also purchased work much better. That was good advice; the high-speed spinner on this Danby Twin does get the clothes pretty darn dry. (You absolutely *must* get a compact, vented electric dryer, though, like the Avanti D110; more on that when I review that unit.)

What the other reviews & product descriptions didn't mention (or I missed) is that this machine has no automatic water control (except, thank god, for an overflow sensor that activates the drain if you accidentally leave the water running), and no automatic cycle control. This means you've got to be constantly running back to the machine to turn the water on, turn the water off, activate the drain, turn the drain off, rinse, repeat... you get the idea. It's an inconvenience I hadn't anticipated (who knows, maybe all of the portable washers out there are like this), but I must say, it's still much more convenient than going to the laundromat. I can get other things done around the house while I'm running back and forth to take care of this needy machine. At the laundromat, I'm held hostage for 2 hours.

Other than that, this thing gets the job done. As a person who is new to the mini-appliance world, I have a strong desire to put too many clothes into the machine. This results in nothing but sorrow: twisted, stretched clothing, piling on sweaters, generally un-clean clothes. If, however, you do as so many good people have suggested and force yourself to do small loads (don't fill it more than 1/2-2/3 full of *dry* clothing), then you won't be disappointed. Do get a sweater bag though; in the small space that is this machine's wash tub, your sweaters and other delicate garments will really take a beating from buttons and zippers on sturdier clothes.

Oh, and one final grouse before I give this thing a well deserved 3-stars: the wheels only roll on one axis. So you can pull the whole machine toward you or push it away if you are standing right in front of it, but you cannot push it along the skinny edge without wearing flat spots on all 4 wheels and marring your floor. This is also disappointing. Being designed for people with limited spaces, it really needs to roll wherever I want it to. I can see, though that, given 360-degree spinning casters, this thing would be dancin' on the ceiling in no time flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Awesome unit, May 27, 2012
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
Well to start off I work on washing machines and dryers for a living. so i see plenty of machines But nothing like this. So i read some reviews and they where all high in the star rating so i lept in and bought this bad boy. first of all Danby knows how american shippers are and Packed this bugger in 2 boxes. Over all packing we well thought out. Ok ok Now funcition. There is NO water level on this unit. You have to manually Fill it. Now there is a gauge on the side of the tub.(perfect) Also there is only one hose that is used to fill it that comes with a sink adapter. Quite awesome!!. OK now your thinking "manual fill!!" What happens if i get into angry birds space and i forget to shut off the water!! No worry danby thought of that and it will begin to pump out the water if the level gets to high! Ok now on to funtions.its pretty simple. One knob is the "wash Timer" which goes to 1-15mins Pretty much is how long the unit will wash. Next to that there is the "Gental Or Normal" Wash speed. Pretty much how hard the ADJ will move. then there is the spin timer in which the spin dryer will spin its from 1-5 mins. Ok another cooll thing is in center of the ADJ is a lint filter. It catches alot of excess lint!. Now your thinking. Ok 10lb washer WHAT THE HECK DOES THAT MEAN. Basicly you can equate it to about 2 cubic feet. This bad boy can wash 5 sears uniforms pants and my socks. AND spin them out in the dryer. Now this bugger will not replaced your dryer it will only extract anuf water out so they will be damp. I happen to own a compact dryer too. It takes it about 45 mins. Now my dryer is a 110v compact haier in a 240v dryer it was about 20 mins. OK so now a little info on use. PUT YOUR SOAP IN FIRST!!! so you dont have foam mountain When your trying to fill it!! You can use Fabric softiner. Heres how basicly when you go to rinse put in the softener first! then clothes then Fill. OHHHH OH OH i almost forgot SHE HAS A DRAIN PUMP TOO!!! It can drain its own water!!!

Here is a simple wash guide!!

Normal Soil Clothing

1. Pour Desired amount of Non HE Soap
2. Load clothing around ADJ
3. Fill to desired level (Depending on clothes level.wanna have the clothes float a lil less work on the motor)
4. Set the "wash timer" to desired time (9 mins for normal 15 for dear god its dirty)
5. Walk away and let machine do its job Excellent time to catch up on your angry birds
6. Unit will Click and will stop adj
7. set the "Wash/rinse and Drain" Knob to "Drain"
8. Let her drain. (about 5 mins on a fill load) Then swith back to Wash/Rinse When empty (you will hear the pump turn off)
9. Open up spin dryer lid
10. Load spind dryer (best of heavy objects are on the bottom)
11. Once loaded Press down and put on top the plastic disk that came withe spin dryer it is the clothes protector not a fisbe take it from the dog -.-
12. Close lid and go to the "spin timer" and set if for desired time (i do 3 to 4 mins)
13. Let it spin!
14. if useing fab softener Pour into tub now.
15. Remove clothes from spin dryer and reload Wash tub.
16. Fill with "Cold" water to previous wash level(if hot you will need to lose weight they will srink)
17.Set wash timer to desired time (i do like 6 mins)
18.More angry birds.
19. Set wash/rinse and Drain Knob to Drain and let it drain when empty set back to wash/rinse
20. Reload spin dryer as before.
21. Set "spin timer" To desired time ( I do 5mins)
22. When completed Unload and do with as you like

Average time for me is 20-25mins

NOTE. do leave the lids open and let it dry. So seals dont mold!!!

Hope this review helps!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good & reliable, January 9, 2007
We had problems with a longer delvery time than initially promised. Company took an interest in resolving this problem.

The unit is reliable and cleans nicely. It is very easy to use and is lightweight.

We do have an issue with the spinner "rattling" and making noise.

With 2 babies in the household, we save money by not using a laundromat.

Quite a satisfactory product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine for the money, January 30, 2011
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
First of all, I did not buy this through Amazon but through AJ Appliances but as I found it originally through Amazon, I thought I should leave a review here.

This washer is larger in space size than appears from the image but it works. The wheels aren't bad and it moves without too much effort even on the deep grouted tile kitchen floor I have.

I decided on this washer style as opposed to the single tub washers due to the great claims in reviews I read on the second tubs ability to get clothes dry. And all the reviews are right-- when your clothes come out of the spin tub, they are very far from damp and much less wet than clothes coming out of a traditional washer.

As far as getting the clothes clean, this machine does the job. I do one wash, put the clothes in the spin tub for 3 minutes (usually if the load is really big I have to do two separate spin cycles as the spin tub is significantly smaller than the wash tub), then put them back in the wash tub for a rinse with fabric softener, then do a final spin, and then I hang the clothes to dry. Because the spin gets so much water out, YOU DON't HAVE CRUNCHY CLOTHES. I really want to reiterate that, for anyone who has dried jeans from a traditional washer-- out of this washer they don't get crunchy as the clothes don't dry with the excess fabric softener/detergent stuck on them. Also as a result of the spinner the clothes dry fast! I washed a stuffed quilt and it was dry by the afternoon.

Capacity wise, this machine holds about 2/3-3/4 the capacity of a regular home washer and is larger in capacity than laundromat machine that claims to be 2 loads.

This machine is much more laborious than shoving your clothes in a washer with detergent and starting the machine. But when your nearest laundry mat is difficult to get to or always crowded, this machine is a godsend. However, if you don't want to do any work, then the Avanti upright washer might be better for you.

Additionally, I purchased this machine as reviewers stated that it lasted longer than a year, an issue I came across in other machine reviews (with every single tub machine I came across and searched reviews for across multiple sites, there were always a couple reviews claiming the machine died after a year and was nearly impossible to fix). I've only had it for a few weeks now but I bought this machine for the long run.

Noise concerns are not as big of an issue I would worry about as much as vibrations from the spin cycle. If you live in an apartment on a higher floor where neighbors may complain, keep the machine on a cushy rug. As I do loads more frequently and therefore only one load a day, the brief noise my machine makes is spread out over two-three days a week.

Lastly, I found the directions hilarious with this machine. They were obviously badly translated from whatever country this machine was manufactured in so they will give you a chuckle if you buy it.

All in all, I'd recommend this product to anybody who isn't lazy and wants the convenience of being able to do laundry at home.

3.0 out of 5 stars I can see it being great if..., October 20, 2010
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
...the darned thing would just work right. The first one I got wouldn't spin correctly and spat water all over the floor. The replacement had one definite improvement: it spun things out great (but still sprayed water all over my floor). Both machines arrived with small cosmetic dents on the metal body.
My other big issues with this machine deal with it's size and maneuverability, or lack thereof. This machine is a lot bigger than I thought it would be and it's kind of heavy.
Making things more difficult is the fact that you can only push it from it's widest side which makes it easier to tip over and harder to get it through doorways; this may not be the best machine for a small apartment (especially if your floors can't handle a minor deluge now and again).
The spinner is pretty nifty though, now that I've seen it in action. It definitely sucks quite a bit of water out and if you paired it with a small dryer, or even a drying rack this product could probably handle a job as a full time laundry machine.
I wasn't as impressed with the wash cycle though; even though I used the spinner after every rinse, I still had trouble getting the soap out of my clothes. And I'd used less soap than the manual recommended. This machine doesn't seem to save on water usage at all.
And while it was kind of nice to be able to control the length and number of washes to the degree it allows (the controls are just timer knobs), this also means you can't just leave it to cycle. In my case, this "babysitting" aspect was worsened by the product's tendency to wet on the floor.

So, in summary:

Pros
Spin dryer + washer is a great buy
Wheeled base
Faucet adapter worked great
Lots of control over wash times, number of rinses

Cons
Machines tend to arrive damaged
Will get water on your floor
Possibly a lot of water
Extra manual controls mean you must babysit
Hard to move
Fairly large for a mobile washer
Wash cycle isn't very efficient

Finally, as a word of caution, remember to save all the packing materials just in case the machine doesn't work. Otherwise, getting a refund is impossible.

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty good for the price and function, April 5, 2012
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
One thing people should remember that it is not automatic washer and dryer. You have to fill out water for desire load and drain the dirty water. At the most you have to do two refill/drain cycle. Dryer is pretty easy and simple, but you won't get 100% dry clothes.

Now it will save tons of money if you have a small family and apt/condo. I don't like to spend tons of money on washer/dryer plus electricity bills. You have to dry the clothes on the rack (backyard use). It is like solar system not too powerful but saves you money on a long run.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just DISCONTINUED - New Model DTT100 Available in Jul 2013, September 21, 2012
Bill Cole (Phoenix, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
ACCORDING TO DANBY, THIS MODEL HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED & IS NO LONGER BEING MANUFACTURED. (DEC 22,2012). You may wish to call Danby to confirm (1.800.26Danby)

I BOUGHT MINE ON 17 SEP 2012, DIRECTLY FROM AMAZON.COM & PAID $301.95 (Free Shipping)

UPDATE 05.03.2013 (Danby will offer a new Twin Tube DTT100 in Jul 2013)

I will update this review at 6 month intervals. I rated this today, 21 Sep 2012; as 4 stars because I've only used it three times. IF I'm as happy with it 6 months from now, then I'll add the 5th star.

I HAVE UPLOADED SEVERAL PHOTOS, one of which shows the adapter screwed into the end of the kitchen faucet; one photo shows a close up of the controls; and a top view showing washer & spinner.

This is a product I wish I'd bought 10 years ago. It's perfect for use in an apt, would be ideal in a summer vacation cabin/cottage, or any other seldom lived in structure for occasional use.

I like that it is MANUAL, not automatic. I have complete control of water temperature, volume of water in the wash tub, variable time of agitation (<1 min to 15 minutes), gentle or normal agitation, number of times I want to rinse, length of time of each rinse, & can vary the time of the spin cycle from < 1 minute to 5 minutes. No digital readouts or expensive printed circuit boards to go haywire. This does require TENDING TO during use.

I, initially was highly impressed with the way my washer was packaged & thought IF the washer is as functional & useful as the thought that went into the packaging then I'm going to be happy with the washer. I'm keeping the two boxes my washer arrived in & related packaging material, just in case.

I read the instruction manual & had to convert metric measurements on page 7 into pounds, gallons, & ounces, which I wrote on page 7.

I've used it 3 times. FIRST time I washed 17 white (size small) T-shirts & was quite please how clean they came out. I was surprised at how dirty the rinse water was after washing & did 3 rinses before I was satisfied my T-shirts had been thoroughly rinsed of detergent & dirt (before the rinse water stayed clear). SECOND time I washed 3 pair of military pants & 1 shirt. The material is heavy, thick, & tightly woven material. I'd worn the clothing when hiking/geo caching, so they were dirty & had absorbed a lot of sweat. I was delighted at how clean the washer worked & again, needed to rinse the clothing 3 times before the rinse water stayed clear. THIRD time, I washed numerous pair of dark socks, 2 pair of cotton flannel pj's & a couple of perm press wash & wear shirts. The ring around the collar on the pp wash & wear shirts was gone after washing. The 1600 rpm spinner removes most of the water & my clothes air dry in a few hours here in Arizona.

I read all the review on this washer BEFORE deciding to buy & was v-e-r-y please to read about the overall LONG TERM consensus of satisfaction on numerous replies.

READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL BEFORE USING.....& FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, don't try any shortcuts.

If you CAN'T unscrew the aerator on the end of a kitchen faucet & screw in the quick disconnect adapter without cross threading.....then forget about this washer. Adding the quick disconnect screw in adapter is a very simple & easy thing to do & only requires a gentle touch. It is something that should be LEFT SCREWED IN, not removed from the faucet after each washing.

MY CLOTHES DON'T DRIP IN THE BATH TUB, after the spinner cycle because so much moisture has been removed. NO NEED FOR A DRYER. Clothes will air dry in a matter of a couple of hours.

After finishing all the washing & spinning & BEFORE you put it away - lower the drain hose to floor level as there is still 16-20 oz of water in the drain tube. Be prepared & have a container to catch the water so it doesn't go all over the floor.
=======================

28 Sep 2012 UPDATE....I just uploaded a photo showing the Overflow Strainer at the back of the wash tub is also a WATER LEVEL GAUGE.....the raised white letters "L", "M", & "H" are difficult to see, & not even mentioned in the instruction manual.

10 Oct 2012 UPDATE...Periodically tighten the screws holding the back plate to the machine. I discovered one on the floor & when I checked all the others were loose. I've added blue locktite to the threads him hopes of keeping the screws from loosening due to machine vibration.

10 Oct 2012 Update...Is YOUR Spinner out of balance, even when empty? I've uploaded 2 more photos showing how the spinner is fastened to the bottom of the machine & suggesting that IF a screw has vibrated loose then the post isn't securely fastened to machine bottom....& may be the reason for spinner imbalance even when empty of clothes

I've NOT had an imbalance Spinner problem with my washer, I only offer the above info IF YOUR Spinner has an imbalance problem even when empty of clothes

====================================
====================================
05.03.2013 - I'm just as happy with my washer today as I was when I first bought it.

I just learned Danby will have a new DTT100 available in Jul 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars WE LOVE IT!, July 14, 2012
This review is from: Danby DTT420 Portable Washing Machine - White (Misc.)
I thought about getting a portable washer for our apartment after yet another frustrating, time consuming, expensive trip to the laundromat. When I found the Danby online, I was impressed with the great reviews. After we had placed our order I began to have second thoughts, seeing other washers that were fully automated advertised although a salesman at Lowe's told us that the store was receiving a lot of complaints with the Haier brand they carried.

After receiving the Danby and doing our first load of wash, I'm so glad we purchased this one. The clothes came out very clean, it was no hassle and no leaks attaching to the kitchen sink, and the spin! The reviewers are correct - the clothes came out amazingly dry. My husband said he would wear them that way because they would be dry in minutes. The jeans weren't as dry but still MUCH drier than when you pull them out of a regular washing machine spin dry. Wow! We are both impressed. If you check the stats, the RPM on the Danby is usually more than double the speed of the single tubs. Also, the tub holds a great deal. Our first load was 10 shirts, one pair of jeans, a pair of shorts and socks. The machine is a little work horse!

As far as it being a hassle to "babysit" the machine, it really isn't. What does it take to turn a few knobs, and without everything being digital, there's less to go wrong. What a relief not to go to the "ghettomat" anymore. I would highly recommend this little baby. We didn't have a bit of trouble on our first try. AAA+

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›