Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on February 8, 2007
My Danby Designer was not sufficiently protected to prevent minor scratches during shipping. This problem could easily be fixed by wrapping a thin foam sheet around it.

The door does not seal at each corner. A small gap is formed on a diagonal where the cabinet skin is crimped in the corners and the door magnetic gasket can't fit the contour.

There is a single adjustable leg in front, however, the bottom door hinge prevents it from screwing all the way in. I had to place a shim under the fixed leg on the opposite side to prevent wobbling. This could be solved if you want to go to the trouble of reversing the door hinges.

This is not a true 35-bottle cooler. Even with 11-1/2" x 3" bottles, I couldn't put 35 bottles inside. You can just fit 5 of this size bottle on 4 of the 6 main shelves by alternately facing one neck in and the next one out. However, a light fixture above the top shelf only allows 4 bottles, and the bottom shelf of mine is not quite wide enough for the 5th bottle unless you force it in. The lower section can hold 6 more bottles. So, if you add up the numbers the most mine will hold of this bottle size is 34. Since bottles come in a variety of sizes today, a more realistic capacity would be 31, which is all I can presently fit in mine.

There is no circulating fan so there's a temperature difference of 10 degrees-F from top to bottom. Don't rely on the temperature control knob settings and the associated temperatures in the Temperature Range Guide in the Owners Manual. They are way off, so I suggest placing a thermometer inside.

The compressor is a bit noisy.

The light switch is manual i.e. it doesn't turn on when the door is opened.

Finally, if room humidity is above 50%, I get slight condensation along the bottom outside of the door glass. Danby has many other models and I believe for the money, they may have some better choices.
on February 8, 2007
The unit cools fine. Wine bottles fit in it ok and the price was at the low end for wine coolers. I had read reviews that complained of its noise. I figured I didn't need to worry about the noise issue as I was installing it under a counter, behind a bar, with the back of the unit vented into my garage. I was wrong it makes a very low pitched hum that though low in tone is fairly loud. I sealed around the unit to prevent air from entering into the house from the garage. This sealing did nothing to releave the noise. The good news is its cycled off more than its on so the noise isn't constant. Its in our family room and if the TV is on or music is playing its noise fades into the background. The real question is knowing what I know now would I still have purchased the unit? Right now yes. I've gotten used to the noise. If you had asked me in the first two months I had the unit I would have said no way.
on March 13, 2006
I purchased this wine cooler thinking that you shouldn't have to spend a lot to get a decent wine cooler, after all there isn't a whole lot to it. They all look pretty much the same online, but I would not reccommned this item at all, here is why:

1) It is cheaply made, it looks nice in the picture but when you get it home the door is cheap plastic. It also vibrates a lot and makes a fair amount of noise.

2) Mine won't stay on. Occassional I won't hear it for a while or go to get out a bottle and I'll notice it isn't on at all. The wine is room temperature. What is the point of a fridge that doesn't stay on?

3) The temperature control is almost useless. At the lowest setting (Read highest temp.) it is approx. 50 Degrees in the top region and in the 40's in the bottom region. I might as well stick the wine in my full size fridge with my milk and eggs.

The only reason I gave it 2 stars is because it is very affordable. However I wish I had spent twice the money on a quality product. I would not reccommend this item, save your money and buy something better.
on March 26, 2007
The temperature is wildly inconsistent and does not match what the guide says in the owner's manual. I had it serviced twice, including having the thermostat replaced, but it still gets way too cold for storing red or white wine - even at the minimum setting, the top of the fridge is in the low 50's, and the bottom is as cold as a refridgerator. Danby was particularly unhelpful in getting it fixed (probably because it was never made to work to begin with).
on December 31, 2006
The thermostat on this model is very imprecise. Even if you get the temperature where you'd like it (good luck with that), it's only temporary - it will eventually shift to below 50 or above 60. I should have done some research before buying this junky thing.
on February 3, 2007
I have the Danby 35-bottle model with the silver door frame. Either they have improved the model greatly since the previous reviewer bought his, or he got a lemon. Mine is silent and cools the wine to a reasonable temperature for drinking.

On the minus side, the door does not have a positive feel to it when it closes, and I have found it left slightly open a couple of times. The shelves are not adjustable, so it's pretty useless if you drink a lot of champagne - the shelves are not adjustable, and you can just about get a bottle of bubbly on either side of the top shelf. There is a strange sort-of shelf frame at the bottom that can be used for a couple of extra bottles, if you're comfortable with the risk of their rolling off and onto the floor.

Overall, it works well, and well worth the money if you're just interested in having a reasonable selection of cool wine available when you need it. Not something that a serious wine buff would buy, I'm sure, but adequate for anyone who simply feels that "a meal without wine is like a day without sunshine".
on April 28, 2008
The thermostat makes no sense. I store mostly reds and I cannot get the temperature above 45 degrees even when I put my thermometer on the top shelf. I have it on the lowest setting possible and it still freezes out my reds. If you are storing all whites then maybe this would be a decent fridge, but if you are looking for a fridge that can keep a temp between 55-60 then this is definitely not the fridge for you.
on April 11, 2009
... and I am a red wine person (got this as a gift).

As with other reviewers, I have tried a lot of different thermostat positions and have concluded that the thermostat is there only as an ornament -- there is no effect on the temperature whatever the position. The temp on the top rack, where the manual recommends storing the reds, is 48 degrees, and the manual recommends 55-57 degrees for reds. So it is using more energy than it should to cool the wine more than it should.
on June 17, 2008
First of all, it can not hold 35 750 mL bottles. Second, the thermostat doesn't work. I couldn't get it above 50 degrees. I even had someone come and fix it, he did nothing. I suppose it could keep whites at a good temp. And it's loud.
on October 19, 2009
2 years after buying this worthless machine, it broke. Warranty? 18 month. I brought the unit to a repair shop and a minor problem was diagnosed. I ordered the parts myself. I was told that the parts were not in stock, so it would take 2 weeks for me to get the parts. 6 weeks later and still no parts, so I call them again. No, those parts are back ordered, they will check to see when they will be available and call me tomorrow. Well. guess what? They don't bother to call, so 2 weeks later, I call again. This time, they can't find the order. I ask to speak to a manager, hold for over 10 minutes, and finally get her VOICE MAIL! I leave a message and some time later I get a voice mail that says the part may be in in December, to check with them then.

UNBELIEVABLE