4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Review of Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler
In choosing a wine cellar/cooler I bought the largest model I could get with some style, and price was important, so Danby got my business.
Here's a little info good and bad on the unit I got (and note that I am happy with the unit and would recommend it, but I'm also not blind to the shortcomings which would certaily affect other's decisions) :

+ Danby...
Published on November 27, 2006 by exubri

3.0 out of 5 stars Danby 75 bottle- Good for the average wine.
75 Bottle Wine Cooler (Black with Platinum Door Trim) (58 13/15"H x 23 5/8"W x 25 11/16"D)

I bought the Danby Cooler through another retailer in Houston, and got a great deal. It looks nice, has good storage, but is definitely a bargain cooler.

Published on February 17, 2009 by Joseph Synatschk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed Review of Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler, November 27, 2006
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)

+ Danby DWC612BLP from BigBuyCity on eBay (for example current item on 10/23/2006 #180041697894) for $488+$129.90(shipping)=$617.90 (pretty good deal for 75 bottle system...(was $600 total a few months ago but I see they raised the shipping so a bit more)

+/- Freestanding (not a build-in) which is what I wanted, and the "BLP" model has the coils on the back of the unit. I think that they make another one that has the coils underneath so you can put it up closer to a wall.

- Stupidly noisy compressor. It's a small little Samsung model...but I don't know why it is not more quiet (it might be the system design not the compressor I can't tell). No issue for me as it is in the kitchen, but if you have a very quiet house you may have an issue with this. Absolutely Not for a bedroom.

- Took about 4 weeks to get (This was expected since it has to be trucked in, so just a pain that there were no local dealers and closest next-state in-store retailer wanted $900+ ! )

+ real wood shelving, sealed, solid, and can take the weight

- It's a bit tight inside, although two shelves can be taken out for more room and allows you to stack bottles on top of each other.

+ Styling is quite good for the price. Typical black metal sides, and nice glass door.

+ The door is built SOLID. Double-pain tempered glass, UV protect, good seal (I had to reverse the door, and this thing is heavy !)

-/+ Door glass is not tinted (but it has UV protection, however no general light protection, and the "platinum" trim is actually a type of, what looks to be, solid color plastic. Still looks good and has a solid feel to it...Not flimsy

- NO childproof door lock (Take careful note of this if you have kids!). Guess they had to save money somewhere.

+ energy efficiency is Quite good. Since I bought it, it averages 0.75KWH per day set at "59F" (the warmest setting) in a 78 degree kitchen. (so less than $42 a year to run at $0.15 KWH electricity cost). And for those that care about such things, the unit has a Power Factor of 0.93 - which is very good...almost looks like a resistive load to the power grid (so very little wasted power).

+ has a basic but nice digital temp control panel and incandescent light pod. Of course if you have a fully stocked unit, the light at the top doesn't help much. Replace the low wattage bulb with a small fluorescent or white LED type if you want to keep the light on all the time (to keep the heat generated from the light down).

+/- Temp variance of 3 degrees once the unit is fairly full. Not too bad I think, but would have been improved if they had a small circulation fan. On the good side you can put whites and roses on the bottom shelve as it stays cooler than the setting (thermostat is in the top control panel / so takes the temp form the top/warmest place).

- Very stupid: if there is a power outage the thing looses it's memory and the temp goes back to a factory preset ! Whoever heard of a modern day digital appliance not remembering the last setting? Well, they had to cut corners somewhere to keep the price down I guess...

+ Mine was missing the "humidity reservoir" (little plastic container), but a quick fax of my purchase info to Danby and they got me one in no time. So GOOD service from Danby at least on this small issue.

Hope this helps. There are not too many reviews about this model, and very few cooler manufacturers publish the energy consumption, which on mine I was actually able to measure and monitor for this review. Danby did a good job producing a cheaper large cooler with some tradeoffs. The biggest concern would be the noise and the lack of a LOCK.

exubri/Dallas area
(I also posted this review on [...] which has another review of this model as well.)

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm pleased with it ..., June 30, 2009
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
I am pleased with this wine cooler. My collection had grown to the point where I needed somewhere temp regulated to store my wine.

PROS
* As mentioned by others, the unit is very nice looking; especially with the wooden shelves.
* Freestanding with rollers on the back to make it easy to move if needed
* Door is very solid and seals well with the magnetic strip

CONS
* Noisy ... I was planning on putting this unit in the garage anyway but if you are thinking about putting in the house, might want to reconsider.
* The spacing between the rows of bottles is very VERY tight. Couple this with the fact that the shelves do not slide out and you have a difficult time seeing what is on each row. I ended up buying bottle tags.
* I've not had the problem of the temp setting resetting itself on power loss but if that would happen, that would suck.

3.0 out of 5 stars Danby 75 bottle- Good for the average wine., February 17, 2009
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)

1st) The temperature varies by about + or - 5 degrees, for a total fluctuation of 10 degrees! I think this is a non-issue for the average wine, but I think it would likely not be best for real collectors.

2) Noisy compressor.

3) Shelves not easy to slide, etc. Wooden shelves look nice, though.

4) Overall, a great bargain buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Junk, September 8, 2013
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
This unit looks nice and the fit and finish are acceptable. And it worked fine for about a year and a half. Now it will not even cool to room temperature. Of course, the warranty has expired and Danby customer service is non-existent. I had it checked out by an electrician and the cost does not justify having it fixed. I should have done more homework before buying. I have since done quite a bit of research on the web. As stated throughout the web Danby products are garbage, customer "service" does not exist, and trying to find replacement parts are quite challenging, if not impossible. I did not purchase from any of the sellers now hawking this stuff but I thought I would do the next person a favor and warn them. A relative of mine had a different model but the exact same experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost 4 years later....., October 8, 2011
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
We've had this unit for almost four years now. It's worked quite well since day 1. We put a temp and humidity recorder in the unit and it's been fairly consistant with temp, and humidity has been averaging about 50%. Not bad for a cooler that really has no humidity control. It's just like a regular refrigerator for noise. No real change noticed with energy usage either.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS, January 19, 2013
MM (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
For 5 months this has been an adequate, if not somewhat loud wine fridge. This week it has been very loud and today I noticed that, although the temp is set at 56, my wine had frozen and several bottles (of very nice wine) had exploded. The damage/cost of the lost wine is hard to estimate or think about.

I contacted Danby earlier this week about the noise, but they haven't felt it necessary to respond to my service request. BEWARE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level Wine Cooler with Nice Capacity, February 20, 2012
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
The cooler arrived on time and was easy to install. Basically, all we had to do was unbox it and plug it in.

This model has an adjustable door - so it can swing from the left or right which is really nice depending on your space. The wooden racks are exactly what we were looking for and give the cooler a nice appearance. The unit seems to hold temperature well and is relatively quite. The compressor does come on from time to time, but it is fairly unobtrusive (particularly after reading the reviews of some of the other models).

Overall, a great wine cooler for the price. I'd happily recommend to others that are looking for basic, high capacity wine cooler.

PROS: easy installation (unbox and plug-in), reversible door, nice wooden racks, LED light, casters on the bottom of the unit make it easy to move, fairly quite (compressor noise is not too loud)

CONS: wooden racks are spaced a bit tight (but definitely manageable), the look of the unit isn't high end (black sides and faux stainless steel finish on front)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy Ever!, November 14, 2006
I have been shopping for a large upright Wine Cooler for over a year. In order for it to fit into the designated space the footprint had to be small, but the capacity had to be large! The price from Amazon was rock bottom. The shipping schedule was right on time. The freight company called to set up delivery and the cooler was delivered on time. It is high quality, beautiful, and all that I was looking for. My wine is chilled perfectly. My friends and family are filled with compliments...I could not be more pleased with this purchase!

1.0 out of 5 stars This is a wine FREEZER, November 10, 2013
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
After a few months, the temperature control stopped working, and all our wine froze, pushing out the corks - what a mess to clean up. Danby sent out a repairman to take a look, and he confirmed the temperature control sensor was bad and he ordered the part. After a month of no part arrival, we went straight to Danby, who admitted no parts were available.

Next step was to go through the vendor to have Danby replace the unit with a new one. After a month or so, the same thing happened, but we avoided the frozen wine this time since we were monitoring a thermometer placed inside. The temperature inside was 27 degrees while the readout showed 72.

Danby sent out the repairman again, and he said the unit was low on gas, so he topped it off and told us to try again. After ONE DAY, the temperature again plunged below freezing. We are now fighting with Danby and our vendor to get our money back, since we certainly don't want another one with this kind of product reliability and service. Of course, we will never recover the money for all the ruined wine.

In short - don't buy this, or any other, Danby product.

1.0 out of 5 stars It froze my wine, March 29, 2014
This review is from: Danby DWC612BLP 75 Bottle Wine Cooler - Platinum (Misc.)
This morning, I walked by the wine refrigerator, which I do several times every day as it is located in the dining room next to the entrance to the refrigerator. As I walked by, I noticed the glass was frosting over. I looked at the temperature and it was registering 55%. I opened the door and red wine poured out. Every single bottle of wine was frozen and some of the corks had popped out. Obviously, there was a malfunction in the cooling unit and the cooler was not at 55%. I am so sad about all the collectible wine that was lost.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›