5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, quiet and an excellent warranty
I actually bought this machine from a local certified Danby vendor but decided to write a review here as I know many people come to Amazon to see products reviews before purchasing.

Published 22 months ago by J. Lester

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh! Shop around
I purchased this washing machine, February 2013. Three days after I purchased it, it malfunctioned. I called the company and they said it sounded like the lid switch. Seemed reasonable, maybe it was stuck. I gave it a wiggle and it worked, for about 3 weeks. Then it malfunctioned again, gave the switch a wiggle, it worked. This happened about 3 more times and finally the...
Published 14 months ago by April

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, quiet and an excellent warranty, October 18, 2012
This review is from: Danby DWM17WDB Portable Top Load Washing Machine - White (Misc.)

It took me a while to decide which portable machine I wanted. I was tempted to go with a less expensive product but decided in the end I wanted as little plastic as possible, an agitator (a true rarity these days) and a company which listed not only it's warranties on their website but also their dealers and service centers so I could be sure there was one in my area, particularly service. The only vendor that met those criteria was Danby so while their products are more expensive they seemed the better option. They also have an A+ rating with the BBB and are accredited with that organization; the other two major vendors are not accredited and one has an F rating. Shudder.

Anyway, this washer is exactly what I wanted in a small machine. Steel cabinet and stainless steel tub minimizes cheap plastic parts that break easily and the central agitator eliminates the tangling so prevalent with pulse bottom machines. Set up is a breeze, literally consisting of sliding the noise reducer into the slot on the bottom front and that's it (I couldn't find where to screw it down so I didn't bother and it hasn't had any affect on noise; this machine is very quiet). As I have this hooked to permanent washer hookups I didn't bother installing the castors but it does come with 4 of them for people who want this machine to be portable. Also, because of the way I have it hooked up I cannot speak to the ease and stability of attaching to a faucet but I have had no problem with leaks. I used thread tape on all connections and I did buy braided stainless steel hoses; the hoses that came with the machine don't seem too bad but one of the rubber washers doesn't sit right so I'm glad I bought better hoses. The drain hose is pretty flimsy so you MUST use the U clip that comes with this machine or the hose could very likely pop right out of your sink as it gets heavy from the water filling it. I have mine discharging into my washing machine drain pipe which terminates nearly 12" above the machine and it drains fine, though I will be taking a hack saw to that pipe soon so the drain pump won't have to work so hard.

The machine is monkey simple to use; drop in the clothes (the basket is easily big enough to hold a full set of sheets and a couple of towels or two or three pairs of jeans in one wash), put detergent in the dispenser, press the power button, select water temp (hot/cold/warm), water level (high, medium, medium low, low) and then wash cycle, of which there are four: hard (30 minute soak, 12 minute wash, 2 rinses, 5 minute spin), normal hard (20 minute soak, 12 minute wash, 2 rinses, 5 minute spin), speedy (10 minute soak, 5 minute wash, 1 rinses, 2.5 minute spin) and gentle (10 minute soak, 4 minute wash, 2 rinses, 5 minute spin). Press Start and that's it. You can press start again at any time to pause and change any of your settings before starting up again. The clothes come out very clean and the spin cycle does a good job of removing most of the water. I also have a spin dryer so I usually throw my clothes into the spin dryer to wring out every last bit of moisture centrifugal force can get to, which is usually about an additional cup or two worth. Not much but every little bit helps when air drying.

One last thing. When I first set up this washer I was very upset that I was only getting hot water and when it came to the rinse I got only a little trickle of cold. I called my dealer, suspecting I had gotten a dud. They sent out a repairman immediately and it turned out that since I hadn't used the cold water washer hookup in so long (I used the hot quite often for filling buckets with hot water for cleaning) some rust flakes came loose when I opened the valve and these flakes clogged the screen of the machines cold water inlet. Once he cleared those off the machine ran exactly as it should. When I asked how much I owed for the service (it was, after all, my fault) there was no charge as Danby has a 30 day policy of paying for everything, including customer training or anything related to getting to know, use or service the machine properly. Good deal! Also, because I registered my product online I got 14 months warranty instead of 12. Another good deal!

Overall I am very impressed not only with the machine but with Danby and my local dealer. If you are considering buying this machine, or any machine really, I cannot stress enough the value of buying from a local dealer certified to sell the machine you are interested in. It takes the PITA out of the inevitable hiccups or outright breakdowns.

EDIT: This machine also has a feature that wasn't listed in the manual that I only discovered a little while ago: a fabric softener dispenser. It kind of hides on the lip of the drum but it's there. Just another reason to love this little work horse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome washer....Love it!!!, April 28, 2012
Michael (California, United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this washer since early December 2011 when it first became available in the United States. It has all the features I need: narrow width, low height, controls in the front, not in the back (for a shorter reach), hot and cold water standard washer hook-ups, stainless steel tub, a bi-fold lid (because I have it right under my stacked clothes dryer and have limited vertical clearance) and most importantly an agitator. With almost all the narrow, portable washers moving to pulsating bottoms (which I've heard have marginal cleaning ability), it's good to see a manufacturer keep the traditional agitator. This washer cleans clothes exceptionally well. I was almost forced to go with a pulsating bottom washer, but thankfully this little bad boy was brought to the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Little Washer, January 14, 2013
Purchased this little baby from Amazon for my daughter to use in her apartment and the only hitch was that the unit arrived with shipping damage. Amazon promptly sent a replacement and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
Pros:
1) Quiet and well-built
2) has an agitator, just like a full-sized model
3) made in North America (Canada) - not China.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1.7 cubic foot capacity, February 10, 2013
Gagewyn (United States) - See all my reviews
Every other portable washer's description is done in terms of cubic feet. It took lots of looking to find, but I finally found it: This one has a 1.7 cubic foot capacity.

4.0 out of 5 stars Broken when I recieved it, but still the best one I've owned., May 20, 2013
When I got my washing machine, it flooded my kitchen. I called Danby, and they had no service people in my area. My only option was to pay for the repair myself, or box it back up and mail it back to amazon. I ended up spending the night on goggle, and discovered what makes washing machines stop filling (there is a tube that the air goes into to flick a switch). The switch was sticky, and after blowing into it once, it has worked wonderfully for months now.

The clothes come out very clean compared to my old portable washing machine (it did not have the pole in the middle). They also spin out much dryer. Since I use a compact 110v dryer, that is a huge deal for me. I would definitely recommend this to friends, however, be aware that the warranty may be completely useless to you if you don't live in the right area.​

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Washer! Does the Job!, October 13, 2012
I bought this washer a few months ago, and just used it for the first time yesterday! I am on load #4 as I write. It is very easy to use and hook up to the kitchen sink. Water will still pump out just fine even though my sink is taller than the washer itself. It gets clothes very clean. It also spins the clothes so that most of the water is out. Hang dry and your clothes look and smell great. I am using a smaller amount of detergent, as the machine holds less clothes. However it can fit a good amount for the size of the washer. I highly recommend this product. It does not leak at all. It is extremely quiet, and makes little noise. Has lots of settings and options for the wash as well. So far so good. Nothing bad to day about this washer at all. Agitator also works well. Clothes are not tangled in the least bit. Great little washer. This will save me so many annoying trips to the laundry mat. Perfect for NYC living!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice washer- installed permanently across aisle from kitchen sink., December 12, 2013
aime michael hamel (arlington, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Put the Danby permanently across the aisle from the kitchen sink. To make the water hose longer, used a “garden hose connector” (brass with male-male ends from Home Depot) to combine the two water hoses (that came with the washer).
The one inch diameter washer drain hose was also too short. There are three ways to go. SUPCO UNIVERSAL 8' WASHER WASHING MACHINE DRAIN HOSE from www.amazon.com; a long dishwasher drain hose; or buy a standard 5 foot clothes washer drain hose (and add it to Danby’s hose using Shoe Goop & radiator hose clamps).

Where the drain hose and water hose were side by side, I used electrical tape to keep them together.

Spin cycle can be noisy. So I put a 24 inch by 24 inch by 1 inch thick rubber pad underneath. Model RM24F4 from [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars SWEEEEET. . . ., October 12, 2013
The machine is as good as a full-size washing machine, and the spin dry is the best in its class (over 800 rpm). Has a full menu of washing options, a Pause button, automatic Off when you lift the lid, and more.

FANTASTIC for an apartment that has no dedicated washer hookups: run it on regular household current (if you need an extension cord, use a heavy appliance extension cord that's grounded with that third prong). You hook it up to your kitchen faucet, and it drains right into the sink -- and in our sink the water never got more than 2 inches deep when it was draining, so no overflow worries.

Holds 10 pounds of laundry (get clothes in a bag and hop on your scale, then subtract your weight). You can fill the drum, just don't cram clothes in there.

Two warnings: check the machine before you accept delivery. The machines are great, but the shipping can damage them. Second: I had to replace the faucet adapter: took it to a plumbing supply store. The one it came with was supposed to be a standard 3/4" part, but it was too loose to stay on the faucet.

One suggestion: if you don't have smooth floors, buy a pair of appliance castors: adjustable metal ones with 40 wheels. Works great on old floorboards. Or use the Magic Sliders. The little wheels it comes with would be okay on smooth flooring (linoleum, slate, etc.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, March 6, 2013
Bruce E. "brudor1" (Grand Rapids, MI USA) - See all my reviews
We bought this as a replacement for a Haier HLP21N that gave out on us. We have been very pleased with this machine. It is much quieter than the Haier, and has an agitator so it handles a larger wash load and gets the clothes much cleaner. With only one adjustable leveling foot which is tightened from the side, it's a cinch to level, and as long as it is level, makes very little noise at all. My only complaint is the drain hose is sort of short and flimsy, and if you are not careful, it will back itself right out of the kitchen sink.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this beast, December 25, 2012
I looked at a lot of reviews and YouTube videos before making up my mind. I finally decided on this beast because the reviews were great, it was user friendly and it has the agitator. I also love that you can turn the water on and leave this magnificent machine to do its thing and not have to dump water in and out-which I was ready to do until my household got too busy.

However for the same price you can buy a regular washer and wash 2x the load, so it could go either way depending on your budget and needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›