5.0 out of 5 stars Danby is a QUALITY product
I spent a lot of time doing research about dehumidifiers online, and also reading articles about many brands.
I ultimately settled on this Danby 70 pint unit, and that was most certainly the right decision.
I have a 2400 sq ft Cape Cod style home with a full basement.
Although we live higher up on a hillside, there are some minor hydraulic water problems in...
Published on July 15, 2010 by Gorham Silver Craftsman

3.0 out of 5 stars Continous Drain Does Not Work As Advertised
I putchased this unit as it was specified as having three features I wanted in a basement unattended dehumidifier a) auto restart on power failure b) continous gravity drain and c) automatic defrost. When I received the unit and hooked up the continous drain hose the unit continued to fill up its bucket and auto stop when the bucket filled up. I checked several times to...
Published on June 20, 2009 by C. Rieger

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars danby dehumidifier ddr7009ree, December 11, 2009
This review is from: Danby 70 Pint Dehumidifier - DDR7009REE - Energy Star Compliant (Misc.)
humidifier is placed in a wet basement. quiet, can't hear it above. holds humidity at the selected %. only downside is fan runs constantly, even when desired humidity level is reached.

5.0 out of 5 stars Danby Dehumidifier Model DDR700900RE, July 26, 2011
L. O'Dell (Minford, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I purchased this unit after reading the consumer reports as well. It was to replace the piece of junk Frigidaire unit that quit after only one year. I have had problems with Frigidaire appliances all my life!. Will NEVER buy Frigidaire anything again. So far, this Danby runs circles around the others I've owned GE, Whirlpool, and Frigidaire. My 1300 sq ft basement is drier and warmer. By the way, it does have a continuous gravity drain option and the hose is included in the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works. Easy to set up., July 15, 2010
The unit was delivered extremely quickly by HCcost. It was packaged in the manufacturer's box only but it did the job. I removed the old dead unit and put this in its place. In about 20 minutes it was unpacked and running. The setup and operation is simple enough. The unit provides a smaller foot print than the 50 pt/day unit that it replaced. Now, I hope it can provide over 4 years of service. The purchase of the unit was based on the report by Consumer Reports. This dehumidifier is a little quieter than the unit it replaced. While hooking up a drain line is typically quite easy with most dehumidifiers this was the easiest by far. Others require drilling or installing a separate part. This unit requires removing a plug and attaching the supplied drain hose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware Danby dehumidifiers, November 4, 2009
We bought model DDR3008EE in 6/08 . It worked well at first, but in Fall 2008 ate a lot of power, and its anti-icing function appeared to stop working. We didn't use it over the winter. We turned it on in 7/09 and found its coils would not cool. Other than the fan blowing air, it was totally non-functional. A local shop confirmed that the coolant had leaked out. It took many calls to Danby just to finally get a human being instead of a machine. The man told me Danby couldn't help us as the 1 year warranty had run out. We paid $242 for this piece of junk. We won't ever buy a Danby product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, September 11, 2009
I must be having very bad luck with dehumidifiers, in less than ten years, I have been through four of them. If you are shopping around for dehumidifiers, perhaps my history may help:

* I started with a White-Westinghouse, worked fine for almost three years. As it aged, I noticed the water tank is getting more and more rusty. Finally, it stopped pulling moisture all together, as the evaporator was a big mess of rust, I am sure the freon must have leaked out through the rusted piping. Took it to the service agent (still under warranty), a week later, they said it was unrepairable, and Westinghouse issued me a voucher for a discount towards a new dehumidifier.
* The next time I got a Frigidaire (part of Wnite-Westinghouse), and I even paid for an extended warranty. No major rust this time, but it began to have a lot of ice buildup around part of the evaporator after 2 years (the auto de-icing feature did not work any longer). Finally, after 3 years, a few months after my extended warranty expired, the unit stopped drawing moisture and ran continuously. It makes all the right sound, just no dehumidifying. I should have taken it back when it started to freeze, but I waited too long.
* No more White-Westinghouse, I switched over to Whirlpool after reading some nice reviews. The unit was quiet and light. But again, after 2 years, I am again seeing rust. Like the first White, by 30 months, it just ran continuously and will not removed any water. Good thing is it has a 5-year warranty on the sealed parts, took it to the service center, they found the evaporator to be defective this Spring. Whirlpool exited the dehudifier market, but at least they still honor the warranty. The part was back-ordered, it took almost three months for it to be repaired. After the repair, it makes more noise, and does not drain properly through the continously drain (it drips into the container and fills it up). A little wedge under the dehumidifier to tilt it a little solved the problem. I'll see how much longer it will last, Whirlpool certainly did not make any money in this deal.
* Just bought the Danby as a partner for my Whirlpool, I read the Consumer Report and the Danby was rated best-buy, and many people talked about how quiet it is. I am sure the Whirlpool would be sufficient, but I found the Danby today at [...] with a [...] rebate through the power company at a local retailer. So I decided to pick one up to augment the Whirlpool. I plugged it in, the fan runs continuously and slightly louder than he Whirlpool, however, the compressor makes minimal noise. All you hear is the white noise created by the fan, you can barely tell if the compressor kicks in. I will see how it works after a few weeks and gives this an update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, May 30, 2009
It has worked very well in very humid spring weather. Removes a large amount of moisture in a very short period of time. Located in a basement laundry room.

It is quiet, but not quiet enough for a living area.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the humidity!!!, August 25, 2011
My son-in-law did some researching and then took me out shopping at different stores.We then decided that the Danby 70 seemed to be the very best one.So I said OK and we ordered it and within a few days it was delivered and I set it up and its been pumping out water ever since.I feel I must have had a lake hidden in my basement with all this water coming out.And of course
I always listen to my son-in-law because he was smart enough to choose my daughter to be his life partner.

Thanks Amazon,I really love this dehumidifier.Best I have ever had and I'm 85 years of age and seen a few!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Service - humidistat way off, August 5, 2011
This unit broke down after 2 months of service: completely dead. I called Danby and they sent me to a certified repair shop. The nearest was 60 miles away!!! Fortunately the unit was still under guarantee. The repair guy had to order a new "control panel". It took about 4 months before this panel was delivered by Danby, because it was not a part "that normally fails".

When I asked the repair guy why this panel had broken down, he explained this could happen during a surge when the power comes back on after an outage. A $10 surge protector should prevent this from happening... Good to know...

Anyhow - the other problem, the fact that the built in humidistat is set to 30%, and the actual humidity in the basement is 60% has still not been solved.

No - I would not recommend this unit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, September 15, 2011
I've used the Danby for a month now. Here are the pro and cons of the dehumidifier.
PROS
- 2 year warranty. This is the only dehumidifier with 2 years warranty. All others have only a 1 year warranty. If you buy with an AMEX or other credit cards with the extended warranty feature, you can have another year of extended warranty. Many reviews have mentioned that most humidifiers are dead in a year so this 2 year warranty seems to be a good bet.
- Does the job. I have a 650 s.f. basement. At 71F and 81% relative humidity, it took about 4 hours for the dehumidifier to reach 74F and 71% humidity. I changed the water tank once.
CONS
- Fan runs continuously - If you set the dehumidifier at a certain target relative humidity, the fan runs continuously even when it has reached that humidity.
- Humidity reading seems to be off - The Danby's humidity reading is about 10% higher than my standalone thermometer/humidity meter. It is not clear which one is correct so make sure you use a trusted humidity meter to calibrate the dehumidifier.
- Timer is virtually useless. To avoid having the fan on at all times even when the desire humidity is reached, I use the timer to completely turn off the fan after a pre-set # of hours. The Danby has two options for the timer: 1) when it is on, you can set it to turn off in X hours, or 2) when it is off, you can set it to turn on in Y hours. However, it does NOT allow you to program the humidifier to start in Y hours, turn off X hours after that and continue the cycle. Thus, you will always need to keep an eye on the humidifier unless you use the self-draining option, set it to a desired humidity level and don't care about the fan being on continuously.
- Flimsy water tank and hose. The water tank handle seems quite flimsy. I had to carry the water tank from the bottom to avoid holding the handle which seems too flimsy to take the weight of the 17 pint tank. Also, for those who want to use the continuous drain option, the included hose is also very flimsy and short. Yet, when I asked Danby whether I can substitute with a longer regular garden hose, I was told that the garden hose is not compatible with their dehumidifier and the continuous drain may not work with the longer hose. It is also not clear whether it will work with a pump.
I have now owned the Danby for over a month and it worked well even after the high humidity caused by the small water puddles in the basement after Hurricane Irene. It does the job as long as you understand its limitations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons, August 9, 2010
Pros
Very quickly removed humidity
auto stop when water fills up bucket
comes with drain hose to sink
timer for shut off or turn on
wheels for easy movement around
Can set humidity level in a wide range I think from 40 to 80%
Has its own humdistat accurate within 1% of my separate humdistat Ive been using for years
has air filter easy to clean
energy star unit
nice size unit not too ugly or bulky
air pushes out to top of unit so wont blow on anyone

Cons
Fan is noisy on low setting - hi setting is louder
Fan is on all the time (maybe why it works so well)
Hose has no pump - need to put humidifer on top of counter to let gravity drain water out to sink (wheels come off unit)
does get hot in room without AC since the compressor that takes out humidity blows out hot air from the unit

‹ Previous | 1 2 327 | Next ›