5.0 out of 5 stars "Getting over" cancer never quite happens, here's why.
"Limbo: A region on the border between hell and heaven where those who are not responsible for their fate await judgment day." "Limbo: A dance of West Indian origin...[that] requires strength and flexibility."
So begins this interesting treatise on the psychology of survivorship, written by a dedicated pair of women, both survivors and both...
Published on August 29, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars dancing in Limbo not for me
As a cancer survivor, I went thru my treatment with a positive attitude. I thought this book would help me deal with my emotions once i finished 32 weeks of chemo, radiation, surgery. It actually brought me down and I found it depressing. It may work for some people, but I was ready to move on with my life.
Published 22 months ago by candy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great guide to life after cancer, August 4, 2006
E. Carson (Medford, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dancing in Limbo: Making Sense of Life After Cancer (Hardcover)
I'm finding lots of answers to the many questions I have after finishing chemo for Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Even family members would find this book helpful too. It's reassuring, honest and comforting reading about getting back to "life" after such a life changing event.

5.0 out of 5 stars So true!, January 21, 2007
This should be in every dr.'s office for a surviving cancer patient.

All the denial you have comes flooding over you & you see the real truth.

It's so good to know you're not alone. Even though you've survived & you don't think you have any issues, you really do under all the bravado. I read it in 1 sitting. The authors are very forthcoming in all they discuss, & are survivors themselvs so they know what they are talking about.

4.0 out of 5 stars you are not alone, August 26, 2007
many of the feelings that I though were unique to me about my cancer, aren't unique at all. I started highlighting each sentence that applied to me. I was shocked at how much was highlighted. It doesn't matter that these women are describing a completely different cancer than mine...the emotions were the same

5.0 out of 5 stars Waiting for your old life to return?, October 31, 2007
Ann (Michigan) - See all my reviews
Honest talk about the aftermath of cancer treatment when every one expects you to return to 'normal.'

If you are wondering when you will feel normal again, or when you can go back to your old self, this book is for you. The cancer experience is something that most people just don't understand, even close family and friends unless they too have gone though what we have (even if they were right there beside you). These authors are the real deal, been through the 'war' and will discuss issues that you will not get any place else, written an honest and straightforward manner. They have walked the path, stood in our shoes, this is not just someone talking to you who thinks they understand, they do get it.

Reading this book meant so much to me after my cancer treatments. I wish I could personally thank the authors for writing this book from the bottom of my heart. I have read just about everything out there and this book is absolutely the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dancing In Limbo, September 7, 2009
France Palmer (Orange County, CA) - See all my reviews
After battling Breast Cancer and winning, instead of feeling relief, joy, and gratitude, I felt frightened, confused, bitter, and extremely lost...(in LIMBO!) This book is not only wonderfully written and very entertaining, it reassured me I was normal. I was as normal as one can be after being affected by Cancer. I still grieve the loss of my breasts, am still scared to death of reoccurence, worry about my daughter's risk everyday, and have all of this overwhelming sadness and anger inside of me...and then there's the guilt! I should be dancing in the streets because I'm a survivor, yet I felt no joy. Of course I believed I was losing my mind! Then I found and read this book which helped me more than I can say. Thank you to the authors for sharing...the publisher for believing in what this book could do...and to Amazon for selling it. I am eternally grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful even for patients AND caregivers in the thick of a cancer battle, May 17, 2008
My mother and I read this book together as she sat in the hospital getting a blood transfusion. It articulated what we thought was an experience somewhat unique to us. Turns out there are universal experiences in this life. :) My mother has been dealing with a 6 year protracted battle with ovarian cancer (stage III diagnosis) and has had 3 recurrences. The psychological landscape described was sadly familiar and consequently reassuring. As a caregiver it was particularly transforming: I loved the section about the value of defense mechanisms (as well as their downside). I highly recommend this book for both patients who have survived or are currently dealing with cancer as well as caregivers who need to have more insight into their loved one's psychology and mental needs. I am hoping that there are more books like this one out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surviving Cancer, November 12, 2013
carolek (Chandler, AZ) - See all my reviews
I am an 8 year cancer survivor and much of what was described was a reflection of my experience. My sister recommended the book as she is going through treatment for pancreatic cancer. For her, this book held some answers for her and her family..

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend, March 20, 2013
Excellen for those who have battled cancer as well as for loved ones and professionals. Delves into the abyss of
how it feels once treatment/crisis is over.

1.0 out of 5 stars dancing in Limbo not for me, March 17, 2013

Dancing in Limbo: Making Sense of Life After Cancer
Dancing in Limbo: Making Sense of Life After Cancer by Glenna Halvorson-Boyd (Hardcover - October 9, 1995)
$50.00 $38.81