5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved Dancing at Midnight
Published on January 27, 2006 by B. Goss

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Attempt...surprised...sequel to 'Splendid'
Published on December 19, 2001 by Tracy Talley

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved Dancing at Midnight, January 27, 2006
I was shocked to see the negative reviews for this book which turned out to be my favorite of them all. John, the male love interest was more appealing to me than any of this author's previous heros in that he was not perfect. He limped and he had onerous emotional scars from the war which made him brooding and self depreciating. He also was not a rich man. He emotionally pushed Belle away because he felt unworthy of her.

He was attracted to Belle quickly not just because of her beauty but because of her intelligence and her lively wit. Belle was attracted to him because of he was different than the usual spoiled, rich men of the ton. She especially loved him because he read books and poetry.

I've read just about all of Julia's books and I liked this one the best. When I was 1/4 through the book, I couldn't put it down. I ended up staying up all night to finish it. I wish I hadn't read Minx first though because while I was on the edge of my seat when Belle and John's lives were threatened, I knew they were happy and alive in Minx. I love the series books. I often miss the characters when the book is done.

Please don't by-pass this book because of the other reviews. I guess it's like they say: Different Strokes for Different Folks.

I'd say if you want a book with a hero that's handsome, but not perfect, and a heroine who is not shy and simpering, but bold and knows exactly what she wants and how to get it.... you will love Dancing at Midnight.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre Attempt...surprised...sequel to 'Splendid', December 19, 2001
This is the sequel to 'Splendid' and the third book in this somewhat 'trilogy' is 'Minx'. This had me almost falling asleep. I shouldn't be so negative considering I really liked her other books so much, but this one was BORING. The hero was boring and held nothing to keep my interest. He was overly brooding and seemed to 'latch' onto Arabella (the heroine) too fast. Personally I thought Arabella was a little spoiled and stuck-up for my tastes, but to each his own. The hero John Blackwell was...I don't know, too 'whiny', I think the word is that I am looking for. I didn't much like Arabella either, but I still think she could've done better than him. Also the details in this book became monotonous. Quinn's other books have humor and action, this lacked both. The humor was lackluster and the action was tepid. I would suggest her other books, such as, 'The Duke and I', and 'How to Marry A Marquis', for starters. But this is good to read if you want to keep track of all the characters in the books and know who they are when they pop up in other books. Since Quinn is known to do that quite often.
~Lady Arabella Blydon meets Lord John Blackwell by accident when she accidentally trespasses on his property. Quickly she senses deep hatred and deep and dark secrets that he wants to keep hidden. Quickly she becomes facinated by his brooding and dark personality. By unlike her curiosity, he doesn't want anything to do with the innocent 'chit' and warns her to stay away from him.
Lord John Blackwell is new to his title and his lands he has aquired for perticipating in the military. All his life, the seventh child of an Earl and pretty much forgotten, he has made his own way. Until one fateful day in the army, he has kept a secret hidden from everyone. If it ever got out, he would be shunned. Wounded and battered, both physically and mentally, John has no time or patience for an innocent girl who thinks he is 'too mysterious' to pass up. But Belle's persistance makes him see he can love and he deserves to love. The only thing holding him back is his dark past and someone who wants him dead for it...
Can he overcome his past and let Belle in on what he has done? Will she leave him? Can he risk it? Will the love of an Earl's daughter heal his ragged heart and help him see the light?
I really thought it would be enjoyable considering the plot, but it just dragged. The 'secret' is kinda weird and when the reader finds out what it is and why he is so distraught, you feel angry and badly, but then you start to get irritated with him and his commonsense. There is no reason to keep the 'secret' inside. Actually, I found no reason to keep the secret at all. See for yourself...but I will say, it is a very mediocre read and not worthy of Ms. Quinn's name.
Tracy Talley~@

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful - this isn't new, September 13, 2002
dreamweaver25 "Taryn" (Hightstown, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
There is a new and annoying trend that puts new covers on old stories to call them new releases - beware!
It would be better to re-release some of the out of print versions of these books rather than just re-cover them! This is a delightful story - not to discourage anyone from reading it, enjoyed it...but just make sure you haven't read it before! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading if your a JQ fan..., December 30, 2002
Heather (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This book marked the end of my need to read all of Julia Quinn's works. Unfortunatly, this book is at the bottom of my favorite's list of her novels, however, that is not to say it was not worth reading. I just didn't find the characters and their adventures quite as enduring as I normally do, especially with a Julia Quinn novel. Although I did find the other two novels that go along with this one, SPLENDID & MINX very enjoyable. If you're a Julia Quinn fan, I recommend reading it, since all of us who adore her know that some of her charcters will appear as secondary characters in other novels, however, if you've never read a Juila Quinn novel, I suggest skipping over this one and starting with BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN, or THE DUKE AND I.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tender and Fun But Runs Out of Momentum, August 24, 2003
Julia Quinn's second novel Dancing At Midnight is smoother than the first (Splendid) in its transitions between various points of view, but it isn't able to sustain its momentum until the end.
Lady Arabella "Belle" Blydon-the cousin and best friend of our heroine Emma from Splendid- is tired of trying to find a husband. Having rejected dozens of marriage offers (she's holding out for true love), she takes a much needed rest in the country, at the estate of Emma and Emma's husband Alex.
Belle loves to walk in nature and to read, and one day she wanders onto the adjacent property where she meets Lord John Blackwood, a wounded war hero who's planning to farm the modest estate he's recently bought. Not only is John's leg wounded (he limps) but his heart is wounded from a trauma in his past. Feeling unworthy of Belle physically, socially, economically and morally, he keeps pushing her away. But Belle will not be thwarted now that she's found the only man she's ever loved.
The development of Belle and John's relationship is nearly as entertaining as Alex and Emma's in Splendid, but it is not complex enough to sustain the whole book. So the subplot of a mysterious assassin determined to murder John is brought in, but this feels a little forced. In addition, John's big dark secret is so innocuous that the reader (and Belle) can hardly believe he is so affected by it. It would have been better had he been more responsible for the past event over which he agonizes. Worse yet, John doesn't solve his own main problem in the end-accidental interference by another person saves the day.
Still, Dancing At Midnight is a tender and fun exploration of the relationship between a woman determined to have her man while he is equally determined-out of love for her-to spare her from him. Belle is extremely likable and almost able to carry the whole book by herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just to let you know!, January 14, 2000
By A Customer
This book is being republished in early 2000 and will no longer be out of print!

5.0 out of 5 stars this is my FAVORITE romance novel! and here's why..., December 11, 2001
By A Customer
I absolutely loved this book. Julia Quinn is a great writer, and I have enjoyed all her books (well, all except "an offer from a gentleman", but that's another matter altogether...) but this is by far my favorite. I tend to rate how good a romance novel is by the guy (which only makes since because I get to play the part of the chick, right?). In this case, the reason this book is so great (in other words, the reason John is such a great character) is that someone has FINALLY written a romance novel where the man is not extremely rich, extremely handsome, extremely rakish, and "extremely titled". Okay, yes, John is handsome and titled, but he's basically just a "good guy". And, really, all most women want is a good man with a good heart who tries to do what's right. He's the kind of guy you might actually fall for...which makes for a great romance novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!, October 13, 2001
Shellie (Off a dirt road, AR) - See all my reviews
I really loved this book! The sequel to Splendid it really caught my attention and I read it so fast; I was sad when it was over. I really liked and cared for the characters in this book. I LOVED the hero John. He was dark,dangerous, and had a wicked sense of humor. I liked Bella too. I loved her determination to make him her man. I really believed that they loved and liked one another. They don't fight constantly between themselves and have too much conflict between them. They really cared for one another! It was great! Bella took what she wanted, and that is rare in romance novels. It was really great to read about Alex and Emma too! Please read Splendid first before you read this. Although I liked Splendid, I loved Dancing at Midnight! But Splendid introduces you to Bella (She is Emma's English cousin) and gets you prepared for the best book between the two!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not as Splendid as my favorite Quinn, November 18, 2001
Splendid is a tough book to top, and Dancing at Midnight didn't do it for me. But Ms. Quinn has never written a bad book, and this one is fun in its own right. If you're already a fan of Ms. Quinn, then snap this up and you'll like it. If you're thinking about trying her books for the first time, you'll love it. It's all in perspective and timing...! Enjoy

3.0 out of 5 stars This was a nice, easy read., March 28, 2004
By A Customer
This was my first Julia Quinn novel and I knew that it was one of her earliest works. I didn't hold out much hope for it, but was pleasantly surprised. While it lacks "umph," it's not intolerable by any stretch.
I liked both characters main characters as well as the peripheral ones. The storyline was okay and the dialogue was decent.
The love scenes were definitely lacking. They were not very thorough and definitely lacked sizzle. I'm hoping the other J.Q. novels spice it up a little bit. :)
Overall, this is a safe, fun read. Not one of the best, but certainly not one of the worst.

Rate and Discover Movies