Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: 1|Change

on February 12, 2011
First off, I'll preface this by saying I guess it was my fault for not buying this, opening it, and dry fitting it before I started my bathroom project.

That being said, I redid my bathroom, and rather than cutting the copper and replacing the valve kit in my tub/shower, I decided to just buy this brushed nickel kit. Quick and easy. Boy was I wrong.

I had tiled the shower walls, and cut maybe a 2" diameter hole in the backer board and tile for the valve to be exposed. So i had my tile all installed and grouted, and was putting the fixtures on. I put this trim kit on and it wouldn't sit flush against the shower wall. I'm thinking wtf? My old trim sits flat. Turns out, there is an extension in the back of this kit that sits about 1/4" back from the outer edge of the trim. So you have to have around a 3 1/2 - 4" diameter cut out for this extension to sit back inside the wall.

Needless to say I was upset. I had to rip that one tile out, cut a new tile with a bigger hole in it, mix up a tiny little batch of mortar, set that one tile, wait for it to dry, mix up a tiny little batch of grout, grout that one tile, and then I can finally get on with it.

Danco engineers should figure this out...
66 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2011
I purchased the chrome version of this kit.

I purchased it primarily to replace the handle on my Moen shower, not the entire trim. I had the crystal-style one and wanted to change it to a handle-style. This seemed like a simple option. Installation was easy. Pop the cap, unscrew existing screw, screw in the new adapter, and screw on the handle. However, it did not fit correctly at all. The handle worked fine, but it was noticeably loose and "jiggly". Basically, the adapter and the handle were not designed to fit together to millimeter precision. By contrast, I returned this and purchased an official Moen handle kit and it fit perfectly and was solid.

I also have another shower in my house that has a Delta handle. I tried replacing that with the Danco handle and had exactly the same problem. Again, I ordered the handle from Delta and it fit nice and snug.

In both cases, the handle kit was half of what this trim kit cost. So, I spent half the money and got a *much* better product.

I would stay away from the Danco handle kits. And, honestly, based on this experience, I personally will probably stay away from all Danco products.
on December 30, 2015
The quality is very poor. The collar was not quite round so it wouldn't fit at all, and other parts went together in a loose manner. If this were being used to make a minor change, like change the handle type on the same color you already have it is ok. Also, the Moen trim flange was completely flush mount (did not protrude through shower wall) while this does, meaning it requires a larger hole. This will not be an issue for everyone, but it may mean you need to enlarge the hole around your plumbing. For something meant to be so versatile, I was surprised at how many issues there were, from a design standpoint, that could easily have been changed to make it work better for more circumstances.
on February 17, 2015
If you have not read the other reviews, you need to know that this item is expecting the posi-temp value to be offset mounted about 2 inches into the wall. Mine was not and I used the additional plates to make a sort of virtual washer between the mount and the value. This is a DYI version, but may help if you stuck as i was with the value flush to the shower wall.
on December 8, 2015
The main escutcheon is plastic as are the inserts that let this fit the wide array of Moen valves. It is also dead flat which means you'll need the 1" extension kit if the trim you are replacing is recessed.
on December 13, 2014
We just got our shower stall tile and tray re-glazed, which gave us the opportunity to replace the old brass fixtures with nickel. This seemed to be a reasonably-priced solution for our Moen setup.

As another person posted, the inner part of the trim sits about a 1/4" inch lower than the outer edge of the trim, unlike the old brass plate. We have fairly-generic four-inch white tiles. And of course, the squared-out area of the tile would not accommodate it. So, I took one of the inner plates and held it up to the hole, and used a sharpie to draw arcs where I needed to cut the tile. I put some wide painters tape around the perimeter for reinforcement. I grabbed my drill and some tile-drilling bits, and started carefully drilling holes just outside the arc, knowing there was an ample amount of safety margin. I took a pair of pliers and carefully broke off the two half-moon shaped pieces of tiles. Finally, I took a rotary tool with a grinding bit to smooth out the edges a bit. The plate was now able to sit flush in place. (NOTE: I had some spare tiles downstairs, so before I did this for real, I put one in my bench vice and practiced this on a couple of them. Main lessons-learned: use a fairly-small bit, and use gentle pressure and let the bit do the work, lest you break off a much bigger chunk than you want. I certainly didn't want to risk breaking our newly-coated tile. )

The rest was pretty straightforward. The long screws that hold the plate in place were barely long enough; maybe four or five turns worth. Since the plate is plastic, you'll definitely want to be careful to not overtighten it. Also, the large o-ring around the plate doesn't seem very thick...it almost seems like it bottoms out before the plastic edge contacts the tile. I haven't decided whether I'll use clear caulk around the edge yet.

Finally, the metal handle seems to fit just fine on mine, with no wiggling like others have reported. YMMV.

All in all, it required about an hour more work than probably needed due to the inner depth, and the plastic doesn't seem especially durable, but the metal handle will probably last for many years.
on March 12, 2013
This is not a good product, save your money and your sanity. Aside from the fact that most of the parts in this kit are plastic it looks pretty good. If you are replacing a face plate and handle on a Moen Posi-temp you are in for a couple of challenges. #1 - the sleeve that slides over the valve stem body is just a wee bit too small in diameter. Lube it up first or it is rough going. #2 the cut out in the shower wall must be at least 3.5 inches in diameter (mine is not, only about 2.5). Otherwise when installed the face plate remains about 3/16" from touching the shower wall. The OEM product works fine. To use this one would require that I enlarge the opening and risk damaging something in the process - no thanks. 3# use the metal lever handle instead of the acrylic knob -- these are known to break very easily. The price makes this kit seem reasonable. The product is the opposite of what you tend to expect from something priced lower than the competition: You expect it to work/fit OK, but realize it might not look as good or last as long as the higher priced option. Here we get a product that does not fit or work just right, but looks pretty darn good if you can get past all of its issues. Good luck to you all.
on January 28, 2013
I have to give this four stars because it does what it says it will do,...with some minor glitches. It IS plastic, but I've had other plastic faucet parts that work just fine if you don't abuse them, and my shower stall IS after-all also plastic, albiet gel-coated. It has what appears to be a pretty durable finish. The lever handle and the valve tube ARE metal. Then there is the fact that you have to have at least a 3 1/2" hole (4" of you want some wiggle room) to except the recess of the center of the escutheon/trim plate. Otherwise it sits out about 1/8" from the surface. I had to go back to the dealer to get a bigger hole saw is all(I went for 4"). Otherwise, it all fits fine on my (very)older Moentrol single knob push-pull and turn valve. And yes, it DOES come with both the inside trim plate that takes the two screws at 5 and 7 o'clock at the bottom, as-well-as the 1 and 7 o'clock plate. Note: There is also a diverter hole that you can't see in the pictures because it is behind the handle, in case you want to use it for a bath and shower combo valve, for which I think you need to use the knob then rather than the handle. There is a plug in it otherwise.
on August 1, 2015
Too shiny not representative of listing picture. Trim plate does not sit flush against wall like original Moen trim plate. And trim plate is plastic and I suspect durability would be a serious issue. The metal handle is the most impressive part of this item.
on October 24, 2015
Poor fitment. The only reason we were excited about this product was the fact that it included the metal handle. Well the metal handle doesn't fit cleanly and jiggles and wobbles and appears even though it was installed as per the instructions. The rest of the pieces are cheapo plastic and I have confidence they will break over time. All-in-all a poorly designed and cheaply made product.