Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Danco 89171 Shut-Off Shower Valve, Chrome
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Inquiries - by email|Change

on July 2, 2007
This is a well made valve that is easily installed, and has the potential to save thousands of gallons of heated water if properly used.

The Danco Shower Head Shut-Off Valve is of all metal construction, with a quarter turn shut-off valve on the side. It is 1/2" I.P.S. as advertised, but what is not mentioned in the product description is that it incorporates a water restrcting reduced internal diameter, presumably for the purpose of saving water. For this reason, we approached the installation with some trepidation, fearing reduced water volume through the spray head. Not to fear, our shower continued to perform just as well as before.

One oddity with the installation is that a rubber gasket was enclosed in the package, but was not mentioned in the instructions. It seemed to fit well in the female upstream end of the valve, so we installed it there- but we're not certain that its use is required. One concern is that installation of this gasket as noted may block the small water bypass orfice used to maintain water temperature when the valve is shut off. We have, however, noted no difficulties with the operation of the unit.

Overall, a fine unit and highly recommended.
11 comment|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2007
Great for showers that have no external shut-off at the shower head. While you lather up, you can turn off the water. When you want to rinse, turn the valve back on and the water comes back at the same temp while saving water that would otherwise be wasted.
22 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 20, 2011
I went through a long ordeal to get a properly working low-flow showerhead setup in my bathroom. This device has really helped me out. I'm assuming that water pressure in my aparment must be very high because I've tried low flow shower heads in my bathroom but they still used almost as much water as my old conventional shower head. When I installed the Danco valve, the restricted internal diameter must have been just what my shower head needed to get the flow under control. Now I use only about 1.6 gallons per minute at full flow. I can also reduce the flow by adjusting the Danco valve. This is a big help because my built in shower control valve does not work very well to adjust the pressure.

In response to other comments:

Lack of complete shut-off = Yes, it is true. This valve still allows a very small trickle of water to flow through when the valve is shut. I don't think this valve was intended to shut off the water 100 percent. This valve is great to conserve water while you are in the shower. It probably would be a building code violation to use a valve like this as the primary means of shutting off the shower when it is not in use.

Bypass port = The valve that I purchased has an opening that is visible next to the valve opening. However, there is a small screw in this opening. Being curious, I decided to remove this screw and found that its purpose is to keep the valve handle from popping out when water pressure is applied. The rubber washer that is supplied creates a seal between the shower pipe and the valve. In my case, I didn't even need to use teflon tape to get a good seal!

Compatibility with specific shower heads = I have to agree that if you have a conventional 2.2 gallon per minute (or more) shower head, you may not like this valve. I tried the valve with an old shower head that I had lying around. The spray was somewhat weak even with the Danco valve fully open. I think it is because the old style shower heads need lots of water in order to work properly. Newer (especially low-flow) shower heads have smaller diameter openings for the individual streams of water. Apparently they perform well even with reduced pressure.
on December 5, 2009
This product is awesome. We have a 12 year old who likes to take hour long showers with the water on full blast. She can't seem to master the concept of water pressure, no matter how many times we try to explain how to adjust the faucets. It took about a minute to install this baby. I didn't even tell her I installed it. I just turned the volume control down to "cheap motel setting" and voila! Our water bill was down $10 this month. No more fussing with kids that hog the water and leave you in a cold shower! Highly recommended!
on August 21, 2012
I wouldn't have mined if this dripped a little, but mine sprayed water out (where the turn valve fits into the valve body).

I went to my local HD and found a shut-off valve made by the same manufacturer but this one had a push button, instead of a turn knob. You can still adjust water pressure by varying how much you push the button in. It drips very little and is only $5.50. Made of full metal, no plastic. Found it by the showerhead aisle.

I figure I use half the water I used to use and you save on hot water usage too.
I have a Speakman showerhead and the flow is so strong that my drain can't keep up. I use this valve to dial back the water pressure a tiny bit so that my floor drain can keep up. It is great.

This is basically a ball valve. It comes with w rubber gasket that goes inside the female end. It screws in between the shower arm and the shower head.

Some had mentioned that it didn't completely stop the water flow. (A) Mine does; and (B) I don't that is the purpose of this product.

I use it to adjust the water pressure to my showerhead and it works great.
on August 25, 2010
Based on reviews read here and elsewhere, I purchased and installed this recently. Some say that it doesn't shut the water off completely. It does for me--or leaves the very slightest trickle/drop that's good for rinsing nothing, so for all intents and purposes, it's a complete shut off.

I wanted something to lessen the water waste when I shave in the shower (regularly). This isn't just an on/off valve; what's really nice is that you can dial it in by turning the knob more to go anywhere from a full spray to a drop of water coming out. I turn it most of the way off, but enough to allow me to rinse my razor between uses.

The product took a minute total to install (with 3 wraps of teflon tape) is secure, and is leak free so far. I installed my new Delta 75152 water-amplifying showerhead (bought through Amazon) on top of it, and I now have a stronger shower as well as a more efficient/conserving one, and can set the water to come through just enough to properly rinse my razor to save gallons of water each time I shave.

Five stars. Can't vouch for durability, as it's been in two weeks, but so far, it's perfect.
on February 10, 2011
I purchased this valve after I read that it completely shutoff any water flow. Not true. The movement wasn't tight and apparently there is a weep hole to allow some flow - supposedly to keep the water hot. This was not what I wanted.
66 comments|48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2011
Here are my thoughts after just one shower. I'm in there 15 - 20 minutes every night and thought I would try to save some water and electricity. I probably wouldn't use a valve like this in a cold climate where I'd want the hot water flowing constantly, but it's perfect here in South Florida where it's hot most of the year.

1. Someone else said this is noisy. It's not. Our shower isn't particularly quiet or loud, and this valve made no difference at all.

2. The diameter of the valve opening is much smaller than that of the pipe. I was concerned that it would lower the pressure, but it doesn't, and I'd describe our shower as somewhere in the medium-pressure range. I think the pressure is even slightly better now because I cleaned out some gunk while installing the valve.

3. Water flow doesn't shut off completely but changes to a slow trickle. Not a big deal, and I think I even prefer it that way.

4. When I open the valve, the water is initially hotter than when I closed it. This obviously isn't the fault of the valve, but it made me wonder what the cause is.
on February 5, 2012
I should've known. Went with the cheapest part on the list thinking all plumbing is created equal. First try and the switching knob flew out and I had a stream shooting out the side of my shower.