Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dane Cook's Tourgasm: Season 1
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$14.99

I wanted to complete the review of HBO's "Tourgasm" at the same time as I took a look at Dane Cook's concert film "Vicious Circle." I think Dane Cook is a talented and engaging performer, and I think his standup is genial and enjoyable. I can't say that I'm a big fan of his film choices thus far, but his CD's and concerts are genuinely funny and identifiable. In my review of "Vicious Circle", I gave the DVD 4 stars.

Now that you know I don't have an agenda against Dane Cook, you can take this review in the spirit it was intended or not. "Tourgasm" is a reality show broadcast in 9 episodes. It takes a look at Dane with three other comics as they traveled the country to perform for 20 shows in 30 days. On paper, this seems like a great idea--some great comedy, some backstage drama, some insight into the comedy process, a more personal look at Dane Cook. There was a potential for many things.

Inexplicably, however, nothing was delivered. The show has no narrative drive, no hook and nothing to invest yourself in. You want to hear great comedy? Not here. You get a couple of jokes from each show--but anyone familiar with Dane Cook's CDs and Gary Gulman's stint on "Last Comic Standing" will be familiar with the material. But trust me, this series is NOT about the comedy performances. Backstage drama, then? Absolutely not. We're treated to a couple of pranks, and an argument or two (mostly Robert Kelly picking on newbie Jay Davis). Not that interesting. Everyone keeps telling the camera how difficult this trip is, how revolutionary--and yet our view is so sanitized--if there was drama, I never saw it. At one point Gary Gulman actually leaves the tour for a while, I guess he's sick of it. But we see nothing leading up to it and the actual event takes place off camera. One day he's just not there. This is NOT backstage insight. Will you learn about the comedy process? Well, Jay Davis does make up one unfunny joke and we're treated to seeing him do it several times. Personal info on Dane? Nope.

I feel strongly that this could have been fascinating TV. But as it stands, it is so uneventful as to be nonexistent. I'm only trying to warn you! These nine episodes will seem like a lifetime. KGHarris, 10/06.
88 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2006
I loved the premise, but boy was the show a let down. A four comic team is a real drag when 3 of the 4 comedians aren't that funny. Even this could have been countered by giving Dane a bit more face time than the rest (and with material that most fans hadn't already heard many times)...but of course that didn't happen. The bus footage wasn't very insightful or interesting. Neither were the obligatory reality show excursions that they took.

I haven't seen the DVD yet (it's still on pre-order). Hopefully the bonus footage captures some of what the show itself missed. If not, count this as a 1 star review.
on December 29, 2006
Got this DVD set as a delayed Xmas present. I was under the impression, from the case, that this was going to be a lot of stand up performances of Dane and the others. All it is is a series about them going on tour. There is nothing interesting about it. Nothing rewarding about it. I love Dane's jokes and all, but you only see about one joke from each comedian per episode. And the jokes that Dane tells are the one's from Retaliation. I wouldnt recommend this. I gave this 2 stars because it comes in a metal case.
on June 17, 2016
I was expecting this to be a series of stand up sets, but instead it was basically just the 'behind the scenes' of the tour. There was a lot of drama and for the most part this was extremely annoying. I was really saddened that this wasn't better because I really like Dane Cook and Gary Gulman so I was excited to see more stuff by the both of them.

Real let down.
HALL OF FAMEVINE VOICEon December 5, 2006
A good premise gets wasted with Dane Cook's Tourgasm, which promises to give a first person back stage view of the cross country comedy tour piloted by Dane Cook, Gary Gulman, Robert Kelly, and Jay Davis. Cook has since become huge in the comedy world, and is even branching out into movies, while Gulman will be familiar with those who frequently watch stand up specials on Comedy Central. Robert Kelly isn't very funny, and Jay Davis a newbie comedian who frequently gets made fun of by Kelly. There's a few interesting and funny moments here, including Davis bombing frequently and given advice from Cook, but these moments are few and very far between. Not to mention that for a series dealing with comedians, you'd expect maybe a few more snippets of the shows they play, and you get a few, but not as many as you might like. Not to mention there is a point in the show where Gulman departs, and no background information as to why is ever really given. Even if you are a die hard fan of Dane Cook, you'll have a hard time enjoying Tourgasm, especially if you're looking for frequently funny moments. All in all, this may be worth a look for said die hard fans, but proceed with caution.
on January 9, 2008
Tourgasm is an example of ego-gone-wild. Dane Cook could only have been blinded by his super-fi-ego to have allowed this past the edit bay. Tourgasm is how I know I would never see Jay Davis or Robert Kelly on Comedy Central, and that is fine with me! Stand-up fans want to see comedians on-stage, not behind the scenes; and we only want to see interviews of established comedians. We certainly don't want to see a bunch of middle-schoolers battle it out with their insecurities. Watching this mistake-of-an-idea was a wrenching experience. I congratulate Gary Gulman, a talented and very hot-looking comedian, for leaving the tour for many days in order to keep away from the supreme negativity of his colleagues, day in and day out. Gary Gulman has depth, and you can see it, and hear it in his comedy. Dane Cook's shining moment was in Viscious Circle - not sure if he can do another thing like that, but let's hope so. Gulman's fan base is all ages due to his depth; Cook appeals mostly to teens and 20-something's. Some of us in our early-40's will enjoy Viscious Circle and that may be it. He seems to keep himself hyped-up and convinced of his awesomeness, surrounding himself with the positiveness of fans who think he's awesome and cute, supposedly never doing drugs/alcohol. Maybe he should go into depth-training and have a drink with some other types of people for a change...and listen to them. I don't doubt for one minute that "he can't make a relationship last past 55 minutes".
on May 7, 2007
I'm also a Dane Cook fan, but not this time around. Tourgasm had potential. And despite that potential - 4 comedians traveling across the country in a tour bus - this reality TV-like concept falls flat on its face. There was no comedy throughout the entire DVD. NOTHING WAS FUNNY! The comedians in it complain more than they make jokes. This DVD was a waste of money and time. Spare yourself.

Dane, if you're out there, stop with this promotional stuff and give us something with more substance. Your bits are hilarious. Your future as a reality TV-star? No so much.
on June 24, 2007
I am a huge Dane Cook fan, but he's been disappointing me lately. My biggest complaint about this DVD is that it does not include a clip of the full stand-up act. It's mostly about their 'adventures' on tour, providing only sample bits from the show. And the bits are FUNNY! I want more stand-up comedy, less reality show.

VINE VOICEon December 28, 2006
Love Dane, often listen to his CDs repeatedly at work. Show was "blah". Best thing to come out of it was me 'discovering' Gary.

If you're a hardcore Cook fan, of course pick this up. O/w even if you love his stand up, it's just not an entertaining show.