5.0 out of 5 stars Great little silverware

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for toddlers
Published on December 15, 2010 by Warren J. Dew

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for toddlers, December 15, 2010
Warren J. Dew (Somerville, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Danesco 3-Piece Stainless Steel Children's Flatware Set, Teddy Bear (Kitchen)
When our daughter was around a year old, she wanted to have the same tools as daddy and mommy had at the table. We let her use a tiny baby fork and spoon my mother gave us, and then later as she grew, a baby/toddler size fork and spoon that matched our wedding silver. She's two and a half now, and uses a fork and spoon almost as well as an adult, except where strength is an issue. I bought this set because it's a bit of a pain to be washing the same fork between each meal, and I thought she might be ready for larger pieces.

The fork is 5.75 inches long, the spoon 5.5 inches, and the knife 6.5 inches. By comparison, the small fork in our adult set of tableware is 6.25 inches long. The total weight for the three pieces is 4 oz., and they feel like a comparable weight to our adult set.

The spoon is considerably too big to fit in our daughter's mouth, with the bowl width the same as on an adult teaspoon. The knife is too heavy for a 2.5 year old. Our daughter does not like the fork - either the weight is too much or the balance is wrong for her to hold it with an adult style hold. Though the tines do not seem blunt, she had difficulty pushing them into a piece of hamburger.

Fortunately, there are better options. For one and two year olds, the Reed & Barton set - Reed & Barton Children's Giftware MASTER 2PC BABY MASTER 2 PC BABY SET 4770 18/10 - is smaller and easier to handle, though the fork tines are not as sharp. The Oneida children's flatware - Oneida Chateau 3-Piece Child Set - is about the same overall size as this Danesco set, but is lighter, has better balance, and has a more reasonably sized spoon bowl, likely making it a better choice overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little silverware, October 30, 2010
My sons really like this flatware set. The teddy bear is cute, and they appear to be well made. They're holding up well with more than daily use and being thrown in the dishwasher every evening. This is definitely a CHILD size set; it's probably too big for a baby to use. My 14 month old manages, though, when his 2-1/2-year-old brother doesn't snag the set first! In response to other reviewers comments that the spoon was too wide: it is more narrow than our adult dessert spoons, and about the same width or very slightly wider than our other child flatware sets (have Gerber short-handled rubber-tipped self-feeding, Gerber Graduates, Fred Meyer store brand, and a Wal-Mart store brand). A friend of mine has some of the Oneida child flatware, and this teddy bear set is noticeably wider than hers. It is also much wider than the long-handled rubber-tipped Gerber baby feeder spoons we have, but again, this is not a BABY size flatware set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for toddlers!, November 9, 2010
I was surprised at how nice this flatware set was for the price. It's very heavy, washes well and is the perfect size for my toddler's little hands and mouth. She enjoys using flatware that looks more like Mommy and Daddy's. I like the fact that the fork actually WORKS to spear food. The plastic or dull tined forks, while incredibly safe if you want to leave your toddler to eat by themselves (which we never do) seem almost like a cruel joke. Have you, as an adult, ever tried to spear food with one of those things? It's an exercise in futility!

With the Danesco fork, my daughter can successfully load her fork and actually eat. With traditional dull toddler forks she tries to get food loaded, gets frustrated, then uses her hands. I love this set!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good set, November 28, 2010
My five-year-old loves this set. I bought it for her a year ago, and they are just as good as when we first bought them. She prefers "little" silverware, rather than adult sized. They are a good weight so I don't have to worry about them bending. And they hold more food than little baby spoons, so they are great for a four and five year old child; I don't have to worry that she's slowed down with her fork and spoon not holding enough food for a child her size. They've held up to the dishwasher as well. Very nice. I would definitely buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Because a Little Person will be a Big Person one day, October 12, 2010
A Kid's Review
This set was just what I was looking for to send with my daughter (3yrs) for Montessori Preschool. She's learning to use the whole set by holding it properly (she even gets to practice cutting her own banana with the knife) and eating from them the way mommy and daddy do. The handle was just big enough to allow me to add a mini-label with her name on the back too.

When she comes home for dinner I see the difference in how she tries to properly hold each utensil and eat just like us. She's happy to get them from the utensil drawer all by herself and set her table. So far I have not seen her have any difficulty with the width of the fork or spoon. (I will note that when she was 2 we did start her with the NUK Gerber pink set;
NUK Gerber BPA Free Graduates Kiddy Cutlery Set, 3 Pack, Colors May Vary and she loved that set too)

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGHLY Recommended, December 31, 2010
I just purchased 3 of these sets for my 11 month old daughter. My wife and I were tired of the plastic ware that frustrates everyone when trying to get food on the fork. My daughter started stealing our flatware at dinner, so this set makes her think she's a big kid. The items themselves are high quality, and sturdy. At first for the price, I figured I'd have a 50/50 chance of getting something of any quality, but my wife and I both are VERY pleased. I'm very happy with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone. Money well spent, and happy child at dinner time.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 peice set, May 7, 2010
was kind of thinking i spent too much for this set, but my mom was impressed at how heavy they were. They are a bigger set, the spoon is not really babysized, but will be perfect for my toddler. very cute little bear. Not a bad purchase at all! Really not much of a need for a knife for a toddler, but since he likes being like us, i figured i would at least get this set for him since it comes with a knife. It's dull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set, but maybe not for tiny hands or mouths, November 14, 2013
K. Noble (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This is a well-made set, but beware, the fork is sharp! Additionally, the bowl of the spoon is a little large for my 3 year old's mouth. Oh yes, and the handles on the spoon and fork are just a little thin for my toddler's clumsy fingers. I think that this set will be perfect in about 6 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good set, February 15, 2013
Spoon is a little wide, but otherwise they are good for kids or in my case my 14mth old loves them

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Buy, February 4, 2013
My two year old loves this set and only wants to use this. It's perfect for him to handle and for his mouth size. I will purchase for other kids in our life as gifts. Came in a nice box for gift wrapping also.